Official Box Office Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on quality of the movie and the hype that it creates. I'll wait to see some more news/ pics and especially trailers before making any guesses on how well it will do at the box office.

I hope it will do like transformers but there is always a chance it could be like The Fantastic Four.

Moderate success. :)

Oh aswell heres a list of the top countries marketshare for US blockbuster movies.

1. USA - brings in about 45% - 55% of the worldwide gross most of the time. DBZ was a phenomenon back around...was it late 90's? but now its died down alot and Naruto is the popular anime. Alot of kids may have outgrown it. It could be a big success or failure in america.

2. England - About 75% of the time england earns a movie the most money outside of USA, sadly DBZ never took off here instead it was Pokemon that was popular.

Now the next 3 are pretty even in terms of money gained for movies

France and Germany - Nowadays puts a large share towards american movies, i know DBZ was big in some european countries not sure if it was there though.

Japan - DBZ is as big as what simpsons was in america, no idea if its still big there, Japan could put alot of money towards the film hopefully they arnt put off by a white Goku.

Then a tier down from those 3 you get Austrailia, Spain, Italy, Russia and Korea

Until we get a teaser and an actual feel for the film, how can anyone begin making predictions?

well you can lookback on your changes, see as of now i think around $300 mil, but after the trailer it may change.

You can make a prediction just from the name alone. You can also factor in the fact that this is a Fox film which means the trailer will be top notch and the marketing will be insane.

^^^
And itll make alot in its opening weekend and then drop like a rock like quite a few fox films

That could very well happen.

Or, if the story sucks they can pull a transformers and have enough ADD action too fool audiences.

I highly doubt this will pull a transformers since that had a well established cast, crew, budget and release schedule

whereas dragonball is a movie being rushed out as a cash in

I don't think you read my post. :huh:

You can make a prediction just from the name alone.

Not really.

Alvin and the Chimpmunks haven't been relevant for years. But if I had told you that film would end up making $200 million domestically, and possibly more than Superman Returns, you probably would've thrown me in an asylum. You can't really judge this stuff off "name alone".

no i did, i was just saying i dont think dragonball will have the success transformers had

but yeah the more action the better for this

Not really.

Alvin and the Chimpmunks haven't been relevant for years. But if I had told you that film would end up making $200 million domestically, and possibly more than Superman Returns, you probably would've thrown me in an asylum. You can't really judge this stuff off "name alone".

I think you can.. at this point I'm judging based on the name because that's really all that is know about it. As more is known, then my prediction will likely change.

no i did, i was just saying i dont think dragonball will have the success transformers had

but yeah the more action the better for this

I didn't say that though.

You mentioned word of mouth possibly killing DB box office. I mentioned how a film like Transformers was able to hide it's craptacular story with flashy sequences and nutso camera angles. DB could easily do the same.

well dbz's story was always crap and repetitive to so doing what they did for transformers would be best

world wide... about 200mil

domestic i have absolutely no clue...

It has the potential of being a breakout success, depending on what else releases around that time (mid-August?). But I don't think it will. I think it'll bring in around $80 million domestically.

Now Japan is a wholly different animal. Hollywood films tend to do the biggest business over there, and Dragon Ball is still hugely popular (new video game releases regularly sell in the top 5 and DBZ Burst Limit for PS3 & Xbox 360 will be released around the time of the film, the Dragon Box DVD singles are still being released and are selling very well, the complete Dragon Ball anime is going to be released on Japanese cellphones this year, and the merchandising machine is still going strong). It could do very, very well over there depending on how accepting the Japanese are to the changes. Japan is a wild card.

People over here will go see this on name alone. Say what you want, but Dragon Ball is the most well known anime here in the states aside from Pokemon. Any kid can see a picture of Goku and know who he is, what his signature moves are, etc.

I believe it will do way better overseas, given the vast popularity of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Look for a total gross of around 300-400 million, and that the domestic gross will surpass the budget of the film. In doing so, a sequel will be well on the way. Hopefully the problems between the WGA and The Industry are solved by the time the movie comes out.

it really depends on marketing here in the states

it really depends on marketing here in the states

Agreed, which is why I think Goku will go Super Saiya-jin. The marketability of the film doubles with its target audience if they do.

Agreed, which is why I think Goku will go Super Saiya-jin. The marketability of the film doubles with its target audience if they do.

He wont go SS for this reason also. If they use SS now they wont have anything besides new villains to offer to the public in the sequels. Fox isnt dumb, so they will save good stuff for sequels.

He wont go SS for this reason also. If they use SS now they wont have anything besides new villains to offer to the public in the sequels. Fox isnt dumb, so they will save good stuff for sequels.

There's no guarantee that there'll be sequels, and that's why they'll throw in whatever they think will make this a financial success now, including SSJ Goku. They've always got SSJ2-4 to use if there are any sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"