Official Dr.Manhattan thread (All penis talk excluded)

SatEL

Sidekick
Reaction score
Doctor Manhattan (Dr. Jon Osterman) is a fictional character featured in the acclaimed DC Comics series Watchmen. In the forthcoming film version, he will be played by Billy Crudup.
Due to an accident involving a nuclear physics experiment, Dr. Osterman was taken outside the physical realm and returned with god-like powers, including superhuman strength, telekinesis, the ability to teleport himself or others over planetary, interplanetary and Intergalactic distances, control over matter at a molecular level, and near total clairvoyance.
While his military backers market him as a superhero, he grows increasingly disinterested in human affairs, despite his importance in the Cold War, and is unable to connect with others, especially his love interest Laurie, the former Silk Spectre.
Dr. Manhattan was created by Watchmen writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons but, like many main characters of the series, he is a modified version of a Charlton Comics character, in this case Captain Atom, created by Steve Ditko.

Early life
Doctor Manhattan was born Jon Osterman in 1929. His father was a watchmaker, and Jon planned to follow in his footsteps. When the US drops the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Jon is sixteen. His father, confronted with the undeniable facts of the theory of relativity, declares his profession outdated and throws his son's watch-making parts out the windows, urging him to instead pursue a career studying nuclear physics. Not only is this the turning point in Jon's potential future from watchmaker to nuclear physicist, it foreshadows Doctor Manhattan's 'exterior' perception of time as predetermined and all things within it as so determined, including Doctor Manhattan's own reactions and emotions.
Jon Osterman attends Princeton University from 1948-58 and graduates with a Ph.D. in atomic physics. In 1959, he moves to a research base at Gila Flats, where experiments are being performed concerning the 'intrinsic fields' of physical objects which, if tampered with, result in their disintegration. Here he meets Janey Slater, a fellow researcher; they are eventually to become lovers.
During a trip to New Jersey in July 1959, Jon and Janey visit an amusement park. There Janey's watchband breaks, and the watch is damaged when a fat man steps on it. Jon decides that he can repair the watch, and tells Janey so. That night they sleep together.
One month later, in August, 1959, Jon goes to give Janey the repaired watch, only to discover he has left it in his lab coat, which is inside the intrinsic field experiment test chamber. While Jon is inside the test chamber retrieving his coat the door closes, automatically locking as a safety feature. Unable to open the door or override the countdown, Osterman's colleagues - save for Janey, who cannot bear to see the last moment and flees the room - can only watch, horrified, as the countdown for the current experiment shortly reaches zero, and Jon has his 'intrinsic field' removed. Bathed in light, he is torn to pieces from the force of the generator, instantly vaporized and declared dead.

don't know what to say about manhattan. i haven't seen a whole lot of crudup's acting. so i don't know how he'll do. i don't know. he'll glow though. he glows. he doesn't shine. that's all i have to say right now.

I saw Crudup in Big Fish and The Good Shepherd. His part in The Good Shepherd was too short to judge his acting, and I don't remember if he was good in Big Fish, because it's a long time ago since I've seen it.

I saw Crudup in Big Fish and The Good Shepherd. His part in The Good Shepherd was too short to judge his acting, and I don't remember if he was good in Big Fish, because it's a long time ago since I've seen it.

He was okay in Big Fish if I remember correctly. but I don't think Dr.Manhattan requiers lot of acting. I mean his facial expression or emotions change very little. Crudup has to deliver his lines correctly and with right nuanses - how hard can that be? :word:

The only Crudup role I'm real familiar with is Almost Famous and there is NOTHING about that role that makes me go "he'd be a great/horrible Dr. Manhattan!"

Not at all saying he can't play the role well, just saying there is nothing in his resume that I'm familiar that makes me optimistic or pessimistic about this casting.

wanker.

Just ONE QUESTION!!!

Why can't Dr. Manhattan JUST teleport to Russia and teleport all their Nukes to the Sun or change them into flowers and then teleport back to U.S.A.???

It could have solved everythinng

Manhatten was the best character in the movie period all the talk and praise for Rorschach is deserved but manhatten was just amazing imo.

Why can't Dr. Manhattan JUST teleport to Russia and teleport all their Nukes to the Sun or change them into flowers and then teleport back to U.S.A.???

It could have solved everythinng

Seeing as how Jon was still working for the government until he left Earth...I'm pretty sure Russia would consider something like that an act of war.

Seeing as how Jon was still working for the government until he left Earth...I'm pretty sure Russia would consider something like that an act of war.

Well, that would be forcing a conventional war, which neither side was willing to fight.

So what if the Russians will consider that an act of war?

They can't do anytihing do about it anyways?

They won't have Nukes to retaliate.

Dr. Manhattan can shut down Russia without any bloodshed.

The Nukes are the only thing the Russians have as a threat to the U.S.

Eliminate them and they would not dare attack the U.S. who has Dr. M on their side

Instead of aiding America in ending the Vietnam war, they should have had Manhattan help construct space related devices to colonize space or other planets.

...I know if I had that kind of power, I'd make one last ditch effort to show my humanity by expanding mankinds intelligence and make them see the greater picture and their role in the universe. Showing them that politics are insignificant compared to the knowledge that can be gained through sciences and teamwork... Build them an ark to travel the universe, and they will come.

Instead of aiding America in ending the Vietnam war, they should have had Manhattan help construct space related devices to colonize space or other planets.

...I know if I had that kind of power, I'd make one last ditch effort to show my humanity by expanding mankinds intelligence and make them see the greater picture and their role in the universe. Showing them that politics are insignificant compared to the knowledge that can be gained through sciences and teamwork... Build them an ark to travel the universe, and they will come.

He did aid the U.S. in space (opening credits showed him doing something on the moon with an astronaut).

And it made sense for him to help win the war due to the time period the movie was set in.

I still think he had a commitment to the American Govermant even though he was losing touch with humanity and at the time 50s-80s the goverments where hell bent on the stupid one upmanship contest of the cold war jus tlike in the movie. If the cold war didnt happen we would probably be more advanced as a people imo but also to be fair a lot of science based technology was created as a result of the cold war.

Its not like the dark ages when technology stopped for hundreds of years if the dark ages never happened we would be hundreds of years more advanced then we are now in 2009 which is a scary but exciting thought!.

how profound :whatever:

I still think he had a commitment to the American Govermant even though he was losing touch with humanity and at the time 50s-80s the goverments where hell bent on the stupid one upmanship contest of the cold war jus tlike in the movie. If the cold war didnt happen we would probably be more advanced as a people imo but also to be fair a lot of science based technology was created as a result of the cold war.

Its not like the dark ages when technology stopped for hundreds of years if the dark ages never happened we would be hundreds of years more advanced then we are now in 2009 which is a scary but exciting thought!.

I really don't see why he would be obligated in working for the government, when they themselves were blatently exploiting him for his abilities. Other than having a laboratory to work in, and living arrangements made, what was in it for DM?

Patriotic or not, him siding with America to resolve the war isn't really helping out his cause for showing his humanity, but rather perpetuating a conflict that he really doesn't have a discern for anyway.

I have to say, I thought Crudup was amazing as Manhattan, so calm and collected, yet you knew he was capable of anything, great performance, though I still hated what he did at the end.

After a 3rd viewing, I really think Crudup was astonishing as Manhatten in this movie, in the movie it seemed he really cared for Laurie, which was something I didnt think the book got accross that well. And all 3 times I saw this, Manhattens monologue on miracle'sand how Laurie is one nearly had me in tears.

I agree about the miracle of life but not his version. Maybe I'm not romantic about that kind of thing being a woman as well as from personal experience. That said I loved the performance.

Angeloz

wow this is a very useless thread if you ask me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"