• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Green Lantern News & Discussion Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister was suprised, because the movie looks so out there, when I said that I think that GL will be the biggest hit out of all of the comicbook films. Despite a stumble with the first trailer and not shoving it down your throat marketing, I think that the movie looks like the most fun out of all of the films. And everybody said that Star Trek wasn't going to be a big hit because it was too silly looking and that was wrong thinking. (I predicted 260mil and it did 258mil but then I thought that Prince of Persia could hit too and well, it didn't so...)

Right now I'm predicting 250+mil for it, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
"New" Poster

green_lantern_persian_poster1.jpg

Where's the American version?

Love the texture. I'm hoping this is what the final rendering of the suit will look like. Mask looks good there too. :up:

My sister was suprised, because the movie looks so out there, when I said that I think that GL will be the biggest hit out of all of the comicbook films. Despite a stumble with the first trailer and not shoving it down your throat marketing, I think that the movie looks like the most fun out of all of the films. And everybody said that Star Trek wasn't going to be a big hit because it was too silly looking and that was wrong thinking. (I predicted 260mil and it did 258mil but then I thought that Prince of Persia could hit too and well, it didn't so...)

Right now I'm predicting 250+mil for it, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Star Trek's marketing campaign was huge and paced much better than what we've seen for this movie. All the trailers were also really strong.

The first teaser for Star Trek was so spine chilling, miss those days.

Star Trek's marketing campaign was huge and paced much better than what we've seen for this movie. All the trailers were also really strong.
But I still didn't see very many over 200mil predictions for it and alot of people here thought that Wolverine would outgross it because it had the better slot.

Alot of people also thought that Tron had a great marketing campaign with it's all incompassing year long push and the movie still did disappointing numbers.

I'm not saying that I'm going to be right because I've been wrong before but the movie still has time to market itself and if it gets good reviews that could push it over the top. I realize I'm going out on a limb but then again nobody thought that a silly little Pirate movie would outgross The Matrix Reloaded after it's supposedly awful teaser trailer.

5wddx.jpg

This is what was in front of the Business Design Center building during Kapow!Con.

Paramount had to market that film pretty heavy since we were in a bad economy and they were trying to sell the rebooted franchise to a new audience (the original Star Trek fans who were around to see the series on network TV are not in the target market anymore). In 2009 a lot of studios were cutting their advertising budgets due to the economy and Paramount was doing just the opposite for the Star Trek franchise. One thing that helped, though was the fact that the Television Networks were cutting the studios a break on ad spots since the automobile manufacturers were not buying them (remember they were about to go out of business if the government hadn't bailed some of them out). Certainly, Warner Brothers wants to sell Green Lantern for similar reasons, but today there are other avenues that can be leveraged to market the film a lot faster and cheaper. Of course, we have the Internet with services like Twitter, Facebook, the blogosphere, and forums, but there is also the growing popularity of comicbook conventions. Something that is trivial now is the fact that the film "Star Wars: A New Hope" got hyped mostly through the science fiction convention circuit. The buzz that came from there helped make the film the top grosing picture for 1977. I think they are taking a similar approach for Green Lantern this time around.

Last edited:
This isn't a good excuse for a tentpole movie the size of Green Lantern.

lets be happy that they are not promoting it like Thor. is Thor a female comedy? hehehhehehehe

This isn't a good excuse for a tentpole movie the size of Green Lantern.

I didn't give an excuse for Green Lantern and Paramount spending a lot of money on marketing (somewhere around $100 million) to lure in new fans when the economy was bad and the rest of the industry was cutting their advertising budgets was a good enough excuse for them.

lets be happy that they are not promoting it like Thor. is Thor a female comedy? hehehhehehehe

If a comic book movie manages to hit it off with women you can be sure it'l be huge.

WB's marketing team certainly loves that grainy stubble look.

green_lantern_persian_poster1.jpg

harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-poster.jpg

Green Lantern meets Harry Potter?

Make it happen, WB.

The secret message: "Abin Sur has crash landed in sector 2814. Send help immediately!"

magneto catching missiles and gl using springs on trucks?
a good trailer goes a long way

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9413.JPG

Thanagar and Takron-Galtos being mentioned made me smile. :yay:

Finally, confirmation of the Book of Oa existing in the movie.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about 1/3 of the movie taking place in Space? Is it enough?

How do you guys feel about 1/3 of the movie taking place in Space? Is it enough?
I'm sure it is, since he's facing an Earth-bound villain and as we've seen in clips, Parallax attacks Earth. So there'll be plenty of action goings-on to make up for it.

I just saw the Wonder Con footage for this movie and it looks quite entertaining.I'm looking forward to watching this when it hits theaters.

I'm okay with this one being on Earth more than space. I think it was a good choice going with Hector as the Earthly villain and Parallax for the main baddie for a climactic end. Hopefully potential sequels will be heavily involved in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"