Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of the Galaxy Director Discussion

IMO John Carter could have easily been a $500M (WW) movie

Yea I thought John Carter was actually pretty good, it was marketed terribly though I agree. Which considering Disney is marketing GotG as well is a valid concern...but the fact that Marvel's name is above the title and their track record thus far.. I think all will be fine.

JC literally put me to sleep.

Anyway lets try to stay on topic. Stanton will banished to pixar sequels for a while. I say coax whedon into writing directing and let him write/produce ta2. unlikely i guess but thats my dream scenario since bird is unavailable. duncan jones?

Do not want anyone but Whedon directing TA2. Whedon's character work is what made it work

If anything get Whedon's pal Drew Goddard to direct this

I think Bird is directing that earthquake movie. Its a huge project, with Pixar and Walt Disney financing it, and as far as I know it hasnt gone into production yet. Given the money already invested, Im guessing its gonna happen sooner rather than later.

I have a better chance of getting the nod than Andrew Stanton. Neeeever gonna happen. He will have to stick to directing Pixar sequels for the foreseeable future.

I like a lot of the suggestions in here. Someone who is adept at comedy would be a plus.

Wonder if Whedon would be interested in writing the script and maybe producing. In that scenario, I think you have broader options for directors.

Agreed....this really should be helmed by someone who's good at comedy *and* adventure.

Like a lot of you, I'd put Bird at the top of my list, what with the experience and his Disney connections; but if you guys think he's a no-go for whatever reason, I'd aim for someone like Barry Sonnenfeld (the MIB movies), Greg Mottola (Superbad, Paul), Paul Feig (Arrested Development, Bridesmaids), any of the Frat Pack producer-directors (Judd Apatow, Adam McKay, Todd Phillips), Chris Renaud (Despicable Me, The Lorax), David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express, Your Highness, The Sitter), Jay Roach (Austin Powers, Meet the Fockers), or Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland).

Agreed....this really should be helmed by someone who's good at comedy *and* adventure.

Don't have to direct comedies to be adept at comedic timing. If Marvel wants to go with another TV director there is a guy out there who has experience with sci-fi, can direct comedy as well as darker moments, directs with style, and successfully created an interesting world in which his characters operate in. Vince Gilligan he man behind X-files and Breaking Bad should be sought out for the director chair as Breaking Bad wraps up filming late this year.

Someone on another board said Stephen Sommers and I almost jumped through the screen to choke them.

Agreed. But now we have directors (tv and movies) that can do both. But anyone from the Bruckheimer/Emmerich/Anderson/Bay/Wiseman/Sommers mold need not apply.

I think Marvel is on the same page here, so I'm not worried they're gonna hire some proficient hack. Heres a list of their past choices: Favreau, Whedon, Brannagh, Johnston, Taylor, Black, the Russo brothers.

Only Johnston has an extensive action background, and although I like CA slightly more than Thor (im a much bigger Cap fan), I consider his directing to be the weakest of the bunch. Imo he got the job because of The Rocketeer. I get that, but I think they couldve done better. Oh well.

Anyway, I think we will get an interesting choice for director based on their track record. Or If that earthquake movie falls apart - an outside chance - then maybe they can coax Brad Bird into directing GotG.

And hell yes to Vince Gilligan! For pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Rather than the earthquake movie (1906) there is TI2 and 1952. Yeah, he would be a great choice/

Peter Hewitt is an obvious choice.

Has experience with short, all cgi characters (Garfield), has done adaptations of literary works (The Borrowers), comedy (Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey), has worked with the space setting (Thunderpants), and superhero action (Zoom), and has that Disney connection already.

And it would fall in line with how Marvel does the left field choice that everyone hates when announced.

With that resume, of course Peter Hewitt is an obvious choice. [/sarcasm]

A resume composed of eclectic **** is not more impressive than a resume composed of redundant ****

Dear God I would take Uwe Bol over Peter Hewitt. Yeesh.

And wtf is Thunderpants? Is that a movie? Dont answer that.

Dear God I would take Uwe Bol over Peter Hewitt. Yeesh.

And wtf is Thunderpants? Is that a movie? Dont answer that.

Uwe Bol needs to do an Image comic movie. It'd be a match made in heaven.

Uwe Boll should direct that Ryan Reynolds Deadpool movie.

D.J Caruso or Francis Lawrence wouldnt be bad picks either, both have experience with Sci-fi and effects which this movie will need a lot of.

Uwe Bol needs to do an Image comic movie. It'd be a match made in heaven.

I'm still waiting for Brett Ratner to make Youngblood. Now THAT is a match made in Heaven (Or is it Hell? I'm not sure which in this case...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"