Days of Future Past Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - Part 1

I'm kinda confused at why some people are nitpicking the fact that Kitty is the one that phases people through time. Kinberg and Singer wanted to respect the source material the best they could with the constraints imposed upon them by the previous films so they put Kitty in Rachel's role. Yes, Shadowcat has never displayed the ability to phase people through time but I thought it was the best way to pay homage to the original storyline without actually having Kitty be the time traveler.

I also feel like the story wouldn't have had as much weight behind it if it weren't Logan going back because the a lot of the emotional weight in the film comes from the fact that the audience's perspective throughout the whole franchise in Logan, is going back to help the man who helped him so many years ago. The whole 'student becoming the teacher' aspect is what makes the film really great I think. Kitty has gotten next to nothing in this franchise but they lucked without with a spectacular actress in Ellen Page and they gave her one of the most prominent roles in the limited future scenes, and I think they did a great job with what they could of the Future cast.

Exactly! Plus if you send Kitty back she would be -20 years old and not even born yet like Kinberg said, so the way they used Kitty in the film is great, a nice nod to the comics, Rachel, 2nd mutations and she can phase through walls, so it's believable to me she could phase through time. Sure, it may be a big jump for some people, but she is a more mature, older, evolved Kitty.

Kinberg also thought about sending Bishop or Cable back, but he said the general audience has never been introduced to these characters before so you would have to write origin stories for them and worry about casting their older and younger selves, but there is already a lot happening in the film. Plus I would save Cable for X-Force or Apocalypse.

It makes so much sense sending Wolverine back as you have a character that doesn't age, so the same actor can play him in the past and future, also the audience are already adversed in his character. Plus, I LOVE the whole role reversal of in X1 Xavier is a mentor to a troubled Logan and in DOFP, Logan is a mentor to a troubled Xavier.

Last edited:
At last I get to see this again at the weekend, feels like its been so long since I did (a whole two weeks), I've almost forgotten what happened in it.

So no spoilers people:o

Great movie, I finally got to see it yesterday. Very brutal and dark, but also funny and uplifting. I do think the future X-Men get a little shafted (I was especially curious to see more of Bishop), but since the focus was mostly on rewriting the past, I understand. Definitely my favorite of the X-Men films.

9/10

Singer is made for X-Men movies, and X-Men movies are made for Singer. ´nuff said.

Question, everyone...

Was the scene where Wolverine shouts: WHAT THE bad place IS THAT?! to Beast, intended to be comic? (where his 1973 self took over, after looking at Stryker).

I was the only one who laughed at the theatre.

The whole scene was very intense and I felt that part looked off from that scene.

I watched it last night, and I did enjoy it, but I'm very, very confused.

SPOILERS INBOUND!

I had not previously read or heard about DOFP. I wanted to be surprised about it because I knew I was watching it regardless of what others said anyway. Towards the end of the movie, I knew Wolverine would change history from what he did in the past, but Scott? Jean? Professor Xavier? That doesn't make any sense to me. How did stopping one guy completely negate the previous movies?

In regards to Wolverine and Strker/Mystique. What the bad place? If Mystique was the one who actually got hold of Wolverine, what happened/happens to him? Does he still have his metal claws?

The movie left me outright confused. It was basically a cliff hanger.

Other than that, it was a good, interesting movie. I really loved seeing Professsor Xavier and Magneto's history come out more.

What was really hard for me to watch was the X-Men in the future "being killed". Seeing the sentinels thrust their claws/weapons into Storm and the others was just unexpected for me.

It was a good movie. I really was surprised overall with the story.

It was explained in the movie as a ripple effect in the voice over at the end.
Yes it was just a cliffhanger for Apocalypse.

More or less it was Bryan Singers way to fix what he felt were problems with the series after he was fired and then brought back on.

Saw this again today. Now that the novelty of seeing the film for the first time is gone, yes, I still love this movie. Even more now. There's just scene after scene of greatness.

The way I see Singer and the Xmen franchise is that when things click, as they did w.DOFP, you end up with a quality movie that entertains and is done smartly- but with that sAid I guess I'm in the minority because none of the Xmen movies have ever felt authentic. Im not a truest, I don't think movies should be bound by the comics and i'm in full support of movies taking liberties I just feel like none of the Xmen movies have felt like the Xmen i'm familiar with. The heart and essence of the franchise has NEVER been captured on film IMO.

Storm and Cyclops play such a huge role in defining Xmen to fans like myself and when Magneto and Mystique eclipse those characters thats a problem for me. I have seen the new movie twice and loved it but I can't imagine a third time, for me the second time was beter than the first but I still can't fathom seeing it five or more times- which is weird cuz Im a hardcore Xmen fan and have never read a single Captain America comic in my life but seen Cap2 six times! Cap2 has better repeatability for me.

I like the taste left in my mouth after this movie- Im more hyped about where the franchise is going but I dont have faith that these movies will ever feel like authentic stories of the Xmen I know and love. Nonetheless its great fun- I just pretend its a new movie w.no ties to Xmen and I find myself enjoying it more...

Sorry, but I find that argument puzzling. What is the "heart and soul" of the X-Men exactly? I see people argue that the movies don't "get it," but then they never go into specifics, which hurts their argument. This franchise has been around for 50 years, had thousands of characters, dozens of writers, and many different tones and styles. It's been grounded and political, goofy and comedic, dark and gritty, out there sci-fi/supernatural, pseudo-religious, space operatic, etc. The point is that there have been so many wildly different tones/styles that I'm really not getting or buying the notion that the movies "aren't authentic X-Men." Sorry, but I find that claim unconvincing to say the very least. There isn't one "authentic" way to do the X-Men, there are dozens if not hundreds, as has been shown over the decades. The one common element across those era's is the idea that Mutants are a metaphor for oppressed minorities and thus are feared and hated. And guess what, that's an idea that the movies have spent a lot of time delving into as well. As for the Cyclops and Storm thing, that's not a problem with the movies not being "authentic." That's just you essentially not liking that YOUR characters didn't get the focus while others (who also have fans) did. Those are NOT the same thing.

SPOILERS INBOUND!

I had not previously read or heard about DOFP. I wanted to be surprised about it because I knew I was watching it regardless of what others said anyway. Towards the end of the movie, I knew Wolverine would change history from what he did in the past, but Scott? Jean? Professor Xavier? That doesn't make any sense to me. How did stopping one guy completely negate the previous movies?

In regards to Wolverine and Strker/Mystique. What the bad place? If Mystique was the one who actually got hold of Wolverine, what happened/happens to him? Does he still have his metal claws?

Other than that, it was a good, interesting movie. I really loved seeing Professsor Xavier and Magneto's history come out more.

What was really hard for me to watch was the X-Men in the future "being killed". Seeing the sentinels thrust their claws/weapons into Storm and the others was just unexpected for me.

Think about what happened when young Xavier was in Wolverine's mind He saw the future and not just 2023 timeline, he saw Wolverine's life as an X-Men. its not that far of leap with that little bit of knowledge he may have been able to change a couple things. i was puzzled with that myself then it just popped in my head. All he would of had to do was wait and let things play out normally and intervene just enough to change things.

Finally got to a second viewing, and I enjoyed it even more this time around. I wasn't in my own head as much.

Again, McAvoy was masterful. And I underrated Fassbender's performance the first time; he was excellent. Such a fan of Singer's directorial style. And of course I loved the ending.

Sorry, but I find that argument puzzling. What is the "heart and soul" of the X-Men exactly? I see people argue that the movies don't "get it," but then they never go into specifics, which hurts their argument. This franchise has been around for 50 years, had thousands of characters, dozens of writers, and many different tones and styles. It's been grounded and political, goofy and comedic, dark and gritty, out there sci-fi/supernatural, pseudo-religious, space operatic, etc. The point is that there have been so many wildly different tones/styles that I'm really not getting or buying the notion that the movies "aren't authentic X-Men." Sorry, but I find that claim unconvincing to say the very least. There isn't one "authentic" way to do the X-Men, there are dozens if not hundreds, as has been shown over the decades. The one common element across those era's is the idea that Mutants are a metaphor for oppressed minorities and thus are feared and hated. And guess what, that's an idea that the movies have spent a lot of time delving into as well. As for the Cyclops and Storm thing, that's not a problem with the movies not being "authentic." That's just you essentially not liking that YOUR characters didn't get the focus while others (who also have fans) did. Those are NOT the same thing.
Me stating that the films dont feel authentic to me isnt something you can debate or disagree with as its all based soley on MY opinion. I was simply adding my two cents and sharing my personal thoughts and reactions. I didnt set out to convince you or anyone else to feel what I felt, which is why you saying my feelings are unconvincing to you is puzzling as I didnt set out to convince anyone of anything.

I started reading Xmen comic from 88-93 and thats my personal frame of refrence- that and the 90's cartoon. Me enjoying the cartoon should further illistrate the statement I made in my original post about me not being a trueist and me being totally fine with movies taking libirties and marching to the beat of their own drum.

My personal experience with Xmen is that of strong character development (which with some characters they achieved, most however the didnt but Im ok w.that considering the limitations in film), strong and powerful women leaders (a big fail in my eyes w.Mystique being a semi-exception), diversity and looking like America (DOFP lacks big time here the only diversity shown was in the future scenes with extremly limited screen time), creative displays of power and coordinated team fights (they achieved more of this w.the OT cast but because of the limited screen time that feeling was prevalent).

I agree that throughout the series run they went through different tones so for those that connected to the movie and had it remind them of certain eras of the comics its great for them. I would not dare argue and say they are right or wrong cuz thats their own personal experience. My experience left me with a feeling foreign to anything I've felt from the comics. The main theme of prejudice and tolerance is there but to me Xmen was always more than that. As I said I loved the movie and seen it twice and it has me excited for things to come but it just didn't tap into what I felt as a kid that made me fall in love with the Xmen- if others had a different feeling then it's valid for them just as me not connecting on that level is equally valid.

SPOILERS INBOUND!

It's like the movie The Butterfly Effect, which is about the phenomenon called the butterfly effect, where one change leads to another change and so on.

Because Mystique never shot Trask, she was never captured, and therefore whatever she did since then was different. Also, whatever young Xavier and young Beast did since then was different since they weren't originally there when she shot Trask.

If you go back in time and change things, there is a whole ripple effect of consequences. You might go to college a few minutes earlier/later, which means you meet someone you never met originally or you might never meet the person who becomes your wife/girlfriend in the original timeline. You might then bump into someone who instead becomes your girlfriend, and then things turn out totally differently.

In DoFP, all we know is that whatever changes happened as a result of Wolverine 'interfering' with history, and as a result of Xavier going into Wolverine's mind, end up with the result of Jean and Scott and Xavier never dying the same way they died in the original trilogy.

Me stating that the films dont feel authentic to me isnt something you can debate or disagree with as its all based soley on MY opinion. I was simply adding my two cents and sharing my personal thoughts and reactions. I didnt set out to convince you or anyone else to feel what I felt, which is why you saying my feelings are unconvincing to you is puzzling as I didnt set out to convince anyone of anything.

I started reading Xmen comic from 88-93 and thats my personal frame of refrence- that and the 90's cartoon. Me enjoying the cartoon should further illistrate the statement I made in my original post about me not being a trueist and me being totally fine with movies taking libirties and marching to the beat of their own drum.

My personal experience with Xmen is that of strong character development (which with some characters they achieved, most however the didnt but Im ok w.that considering the limitations in film), strong and powerful women leaders (a big fail in my eyes w.Mystique being a semi-exception), diversity and looking like America (DOFP lacks big time here the only diversity shown was in the future scenes with extremly limited screen time), creative displays of power and coordinated team fights (they achieved more of this w.the OT cast but because of the limited screen time that feeling was prevalent).

I agree that throughout the series run they went through different tones so for those that connected to the movie and had it remind them of certain eras of the comics its great for them. I would not dare argue and say they are right or wrong cuz thats their own personal experience. My experience left me with a feeling foreign to anything I've felt from the comics. The main theme of prejudice and tolerance is there but to me Xmen was always more than that. As I said I loved the movie and seen it twice and it has me excited for things to come but it just didn't tap into what I felt as a kid that made me fall in love with the Xmen- if others had a different feeling then it's valid for them just as me not connecting on that level is equally valid.

This is an interesting viewpoint and i can see where you are coming from.

The movies are very much their own thing, and I think the same can be said of quite a few comic book adaptations for the big screen. I think these films have to be done thoughtfully or it ends up looking like a video game if you add too much colour and cartoonishness. The only Marvel Studios film that's felt like the comics/cartoons is Avengers.

Having said that, I'm all for the movies embracing the cartoons and comics a bit more. It's not horrific at the moment though. For instance we did at least finally have an iced-up Iceman making ice-slides in DoFP.

Jean-hair.jpg

Why people forget Jean Grey ?:csad:
She was one of the central characters from the OT and the most powerful mutant in the franchise. (X3 was bad but Phoenix was powerful l)

Jean-hair.jpg

Why people forget Jean Grey ?:csad:
She was one of the central characters from the OT and the most powerful mutant in the franchise. (X3 was bad but Phoenix was powerful l)

The interesting thing about ur comment is that I actually did think of Jean when referencing how the women characters have been portrayed in the movies in stark contrast to their portrayals in the comics. Jean in the comics had a hard time controlling a cosmic force which is a lot different than the inability to handle her own power- to me this isn't a good example of strength it's rather the opposite. Its that old adage about women not being able to handle great power. Sure in the comics tons of characters have problems controlling their powers (thats why Charles is there to help them) but it's women and men and boys and girls. In the movies Jean is basically a schizophrenic with dual personality dis- order whose inability to control her power creates a PMS psychotic crazed woman who needs to be rescued by a man. And I wont even get into the stereotypical powerful woman being sex crazed- as was played out when she tried to seduce Wolverine.

Then there's the de-powered Rogue who is virtually vulnerable- true she has her full mutant power in tact but its just an example of the women characters being weaker versions of their comic counterparts.

Storm doesnt display any of her strong leadership skills that are well portrayed in the comics.

Women strength and women in leadership roles within the Xbooks was something that I felt they did better than any other comic. Sure the women in the comics dealt with tons of issues but there was always a balance cuz the men right along side them were going through similar issues. I noted Mystique as a semi-exception cuz theres a ton of things I can site that weaken the character in the movies as well.

So this is just one example of me not getting the feeling, heart, and essence of what I get from the comics.

Just got back from my third and final viewing of this, been a great ride from the build up to now. So satisfying when things live up to your own hype but after three times I'm still not bored of it but its time to give it a rest now before the Blu-ray later this year.

Good times.

The interesting thing about ur comment is that I actually did think of Jean when referencing how the women characters have been portrayed in the movies in stark contrast to their portrayals in the comics. Jean in the comics had a hard time controlling a cosmic force which is a lot different than the inability to handle her own power- to me this isn't a good example of strength it's rather the opposite. Its that old adage about women not being able to handle great power. Sure in the comics tons of characters have problems controlling their powers (thats why Charles is there to help them) but it's women and men and boys and girls. In the movies Jean is basically a schizophrenic with dual personality dis- order whose inability to control her power creates a PMS psychotic crazed woman who needs to be rescued by a man. And I wont even get into the stereotypical powerful woman being sex crazed- as was played out when she tried to seduce Wolverine.

Then there's the de-powered Rogue who is virtually vulnerable- true she has her full mutant power in tact but its just an example of the women characters being weaker versions of their comic counterparts.

Storm doesnt display any of her strong leadership skills that are well portrayed in the comics.

Women strength and women in leadership roles within the Xbooks was something that I felt they did better than any other comic. Sure the women in the comics dealt with tons of issues but there was always a balance cuz the men right along side them were going through similar issues. I noted Mystique as a semi-exception cuz theres a ton of things I can site that weaken the character in the movies as well.

So this is just one example of me not getting the feeling, heart, and essence of what I get from the comics.

I see what your saying but comics are serial stories that are released each month. The depth of characters are often lost in big screen adaptions in ensembles because of time constraints. If the X-men were a tv show you'd get more of what your looking for.

Just got back from seeing this and..... OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD I loved it!! I can't believe how good it was! I honestly can't think of anything wrong with the movie right now. The potential that the future of this franchise has right now is through the ROOF! :hubba

Although, I was a bit disappointed about some of the characters that died in those experiments. Was hoping some of them would show up again some day but I guess not :csad:

I saw this again on Tuesday, and the second time it was a bit better for me. The story is well paced IMO and really well written IMO. Before DOFP came out I was really wondering how well they could pull of the story since none of the trailers themselves revealed what the main story is (I guess that could be a good thing). But yeah, I think it was a great adaption to the original 2 story arc comic and even left a good message of having some hope/faith no matter the circumstance. Plus what this movie does to the franchise going forward is amazing. It's a reboot but with the same cast/new cast in the same universe, every fan of X-men should see this movie IMO.

Last edited:
I just got back from seeing this.

To give a brief history of X-Men for me. I loved X-Men and X-2. X-2 is probably in my Top 10 CBMs with X-Men probably in Top 20.

I remember when X-Men: TLS came out and I started to turn on the series. The trailers weren't helping and all the tidbits such as Cyclops not really being in it led me to have really low expectations. After I saw it, I was still disappointed.

Followed by X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I gave up on the series especially after Stryker essentially monologued, if I shoot Wolverine in the head with this adamantium bullet, it will give him amnesia. WTF?

I wasn't going to see First Class, but the reviews were decent and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought X-Men turned the corner.

I didn't see the Wolverine in theaters. By then, I was sick of Wolverine and him being the central character in almost every X-Men movie. I understand he is the most popular but he was never my favorite. I watched the Wolverine when it came to Netflix and it was pretty decent.

When I heard about DOFP, I was still weary even with the past 2 movies. Especially after seeing pictures of Quicksilver, I thought this movie wasn't going to be any good. Then I found out Wolverine was essentially Kitty Pryde going back in time which turned me off even more. I made a decision about this and Spider-Man. If they get good reviews, I'd see it.

Well one did and I went in with slightly higher expectations because of the stellar reviews and I it was excellent. This movie brought me back to my expectations after X-2. I really want to see this movie again maybe even in the theaters. I'll probably buy it on blu-ray too.

This has me even looking forward to Apocalypse. So in the end, I'm glad my initial thoughts of this movie was incorrect.

This movie is probably in my Top 10 CBM. :up:

I got back from this not too long ago. I enjoyed it, wasn't quite blown away by anything but its still a very good movie!

I'll tag my spoilers as to not ruin it for those that may have not seen it as yet.

The deaths of the future X-Men were very brutal, I'm quite surprised with how much they were able to get away with in this film to be quite honest.

I would say this was the most bold of all the x films so far and it was nice seeing an adaptation to a classic story.

Whilst some of the action was cool nothing really blew me away like the opening nightcrawler scene in X2

The Apocalypse end credit scene was awesome and I can't wait for the next instalment.

7/10

I threw together an edited piece of a variety of youtube reviews of my favorite film from the last ten years. Check it out if you can't get enough of this movie:

[YT]eVr9Enyk9Ug[/YT]​

DOFP was good. Not stellar, as I hated FC, but the transition from FC to more classic X-men setting and fixing the whole X3 catatsrophe at the same time was done very well. X-Men: Apocalypse has strong chances to become the best X-men movie ever, and I'd love to see Cable.

7/10

I watched it with a friend who's neither a comic book fan nor a cbm fan, and it was her second viewing :yay:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on DOFP/this franchise in general after my 3rd and final viewing:

I literally grew up with the original trilogy: I was 12, 15, and 18 when those movies came out. They reignited my love of comics, and in a small but significant way, helped shape my life. I "came out as a nerd." I resolved to keep my imagination alive.

I fondly remember going to TLS at midnight opening night with one of my best friends. We graduated high school a few weeks prior, and life took us in different directions, as it is wont to do. We kept in touch, often calling each other up to discuss the latest X-film. Through a little luck and planning, we found a way to get together and see DOFP on midnight opening night. It may sound corny, but I'll always be truly thankful for these films and the memories associated with them.

My life has changed drastically since X-Men first hit theaters in 2000, in good and bad ways. There are definitely parts of my history I wish I could change. So this movie spoke to me, sometimes painfully so. Learning from your mistakes. Appreciating the time you have with your loved ones. Believing in people. All of this hit home for me. I cried or teared up at every viewing. And it felt good. It felt like closure.

The ending of this movie felt for me a lot like it felt for Logan: like coming home. DOFP was the movie I needed in 2014, just like X-Men was the movie I needed in 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"