Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2 continued...

Oh, ok. Hard to tell sometimes. Many Nolanites get real ******** when anyone dares criticize Saint Nolan.

Rewatched IM2 tonight for the first time since I saw it in theaters(I saw it 4 times in theaters, so never really had the desire to pop the movie in the blu ray player until now) and I have to say that IM2 was much better then I remember. I honestly think that a longer cut(which Favs claims there is one) could be just as good as the first one. It was a tad rushed, but for the most part, it was good. Also, I never got all the complaining about the SHIELD storyline. SLJ did a great job, it set up the Avengers well, it fit well in the plot about Tony saving himself AND it didn't even take up much screen time.

Actually, I was pretty happy with IM2. My biggest issue with it was the fight between Tony and Rhodey. I thought that Rhodey's behavior was very inappropriate.

Other than that, the Iron Man movies reminded me of the Keith Giffen and J. M. DeMatteis Justice League International because of the great humor in it.

The first Iron Man movie would be my favorite comic book movie of all time, even though the villain is pretty one dimensional.

Finally got around to watching this and my main takeaway: Ick.

I had heard that it was worse than the first, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. I mean, it was borderline Wolverine bad.

It was like at every point where the movie could have been really cool, they consciously chose to go goofy instead of serious. Tony's going to get out of control with his drinking? Have him scratching records and blowing up watermelons in the suit. Tony and Rhodey are gonna fight? Have a corny 90's rap song playing in the background (although I did like the "war machine" line). Fury tracks Tony down and Natasha reveals herself? Have it take place in a donut shop.

The final fight scene was a definite improvement from the climax of IM1, I'll give them that. Watching Tony and Rhodey fighting back to back was pretty cool. But it was hard to suspend my disbelief when Tony was flying around with Hammer's drones on his back, and he kept flying within feet of all those civilians. And you could tell Favreau got a little CGI drunk and just couldn't help blowing up endless cars and buildings.

I'll take it as a necessary step towards The Avengers, but I have my doubts about whether Marvel can take that movie seriously after seeing this debacle.

Why is every poll I go to closed? WTH? Leave it open for newcomers, this isn't a presidential election.

Anyway, 6.

I have to say that I find Iron Man 2 to be very entertaining, moreso than the first.

I don't know what it gets the hate it does, in fact it boggles my mind.

I like watching it every so often.

It's probably cos the story is weaker. The movie is just one big set up for the Avengers. Whiplash was a weak baddie compared to Stane. Rhodey was annoying and Howard was better than Cheadle.

@Fudgie - i've seen a lot of people say that about 'one big set up for the Avengers'. what specifically?

i didn't think it was very good, didn't have a clear direction and fell apart after Monaco, i think. but i wouldn't describe the faults as resulting from being a set up for the Avengers. i'm interested to hear what people mean by this.

i think the Avengers might have had something to do with it not being that great, but only becuz of the time table Marvel was forcing them to meet.

I just recently saw this for the first time. I enjoyed it.

The essential problem of Iron Man 2 is that it's a potboiler. It's just filler between the first Iron Man movie and The Avengers. Very professional, entertaining, but definetly filler. Nothing of any real significance happens, and none of the main characters are any different by the end of the movie.

^Agreed, I also find that everyone in the movie makes Tony look like an idiot, and that makes Tony a not as interesting character, he is supposed to be a genius and yet regular people are making him look like an idiot.

He's not gonna be the next shia is he? (saying how awesome a movie is before it's released, but then how much he hates it when the fans do?)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044247/

Don't buy the hater spin on any other commentary, fake article. RDJ is proud of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and rightfully so. Both films were the best of each summer that they were released and he fully admits that Tony Stark is one of his favorite characters he's ever played in every other interview he has done. The above article mentions how much he enjoyed doing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Shane Black and looks forward to delivering ANOTHER great Iron Man film that will make him a PERFECT three for three with the character.

Nuff said.

I just watched Iron Man 2, and have to say, I really enjoyed it. I am confused as to where all of the hate is coming from. Sure, Hammer was not a threatening villain (the camp was overdone,) but, overall, it is a satisfying film. My only pet peeve is that someone should have stood up to Rourke and said no about the bird. His artistic decisions are recycled cliches: I kept expecting him to appear in the next scene with a peg leg.

Overall, I think the film will hold up when I return to it, along with the rest of the other MCU films for the independent study I am doing on them this semester. Being able to examine the films through a political and historical lens is going to be fun.

Iron Man 2 is severely underrated, I'm too late to vote in the poll but I'd give it a solid 8.

He doesn't hate it. RDJ said there were certain aspects that were dissatisfying and disappointing to him about IM2. And I think it's a fair assessment imo.

Downey also admits that, despite the box office success of Iron Man 2, there are elements of the final film that he's not entirely satisfied with. The aim for the third go-round is to "leave it all on the field" and fall back on the natural rapport between Black and himself.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168235-robert-downey-jr-talks-iron-man-3

I dont care what anyone says, there were some glaring flaws in IM2 and this makes a less satisfying, entertaining, and re-watchable movie than the first one. It should have been a rival to the likes of TDK, Spiderman 2, Hellboy II and X2 as far as super-hero sequels go, its no were near any of them. The movie doesnt stand up to re-watch at all, I watched both movies again recently and was bored during most of the 2nd half of IM2, the first half is excellent, the rest just isnt.

I dont care what anyone says, there were some glaring flaws in IM2 and this makes a less satisfying, entertaining, and re-watchable movie than the first one. It should have been a rival to the likes of TDK, Spiderman 2, Hellboy II and X2 as far as super-hero sequels go, its no were near any of them. The movie doesnt stand up to re-watch at all, I watched both movies again recently and was bored during most of the 2nd half of IM2, the first half is excellent, the rest just isnt.

I agree. I have at least two ways to assess a movie. If I like it when I am watching it, and then what happens afterwards. As I was watching it, IM2 felt dissapointing but not bad. But never again did I felt like watching it. I saw most of it yesterday on cable and it felt better than I remembered, but then again, it wasn't something that calls me to watch again.

He doesn't hate it. RDJ said there were certain aspects that were dissatisfying and disappointing to him about IM2. And I think it's a fair assessment imo.

Mickey Rourke is the one who bad mouthed Iron Man 2. RDJ is more diplomatic.

Yeah that depends on the individual because I've watched Iron Man 2 about 12 times and I enjoy it everytime.

I agree that it's definately not as good as Iron Man 1 but it's nowhere near the "travesty" that so many comic book fans make it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"