Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a comic fan, loved it. All of my friends adored it, and the audience I saw it with loved it. I think it's the just the die hard comic fans that hate it.
As far as IM goes, I'm not a die-hard fanboy. I've only read about 5-6 IM books, if that. I'm much more of a fan because of the movies. With that said, I did like it a lot, and it seems a lot of my friends on Facebook are talking about how much they liked it, too.

I'm pretty sure the GA will like it. My theater seemed to laugh, and about 3/4 stayed for the after credits.

Yeah, I don't see why people don't use Batman Begins as the analogy instead of TDK or TDKR, which are entirely different styles of redirection. The Mandarin Twist is The R'as al-Ghul Twist all over again, plain and simple. It's not that hard to figure out. Killian = Ducard/R'as, and Trevor = Ken Watanabe/Fake R'as.

Agreed. I wasn't a big fan of that twist either but most of us Batfans saw it coming. Liam Neeson is too much an A-lister to play some random character named Ducard.

Fair enough. ;) you're obviously the bigger Bane fan so I'll leave it up to you. Point still stands though. If you're gonna compare Mandarin to any Batman villain Joker probably should be the last one...

I may be a huge fan of Bane but that doesn't change anything. Bane wasn't a [blackout]decoy[/blackout].

Agreed. I wasn't a big fan of that twist either but most of us Batfans saw it coming. Liam Neeson is too much an A-lister to play some random character named Ducard.

I may be a huge fan of Bane but that doesn't change anything. Bane wasn't a [blackout]decoy[/blackout].

You just told me it was subjective... Now you want to argue about it?

I'm going to post this is a few forums to try and get an answer, but does anyone know what the context of the Dowton Abbey scene is that is on[BLACKOUT] at the Hospital when Happy is in there?[/BLACKOUT] Because the one writer said that it is important to the future, and I've never watched the show myself so I don't know the characters of the scene. Anyone help with that?

As far as IM goes, I'm not a die-hard fanboy. I've only read about 5-6 IM books, if that. I'm much more of a fan because of the movies. With that said, I did like it a lot, and it seems a lot of my friends on Facebook are talking about how much they liked it, too.

I'm pretty sure the GA will like it. My theater seemed to laugh, and about 3/4 stayed for the after credits.

:up:

I think the humor is the movie might have pissed me off more than the Mandarin twist. The movie was funny, but this may sound weird, but it was like too funny. The jokes never stopped. Even in the serious action and emotional scenes there was non stop humor. It got old really quick. This is coming from someone who is trying to do stand up as a career. So I am not some debbie downer.

You didn't know Nolan was latin for God?

Take the discussion about Batman elsewhere, unless it relates to the movie. Saying this plot point is similar to IM3 cause of X, Y, and Z is okay. Debating the merits of Bane as a villain or minion...not okay. Do stuff like that elsewhere.

How is this Nolan related?

A comparison between Bane and [blackout]Mandarin[/blackout] was made, and I disagree with it. That's all. Stop being hypersensitive.

If anything, Mandarin compares with Ra's al Ghul, as cherokee alluded to.

How is this Nolan related?

A comparison between Bane and [blackout]Mandarin[/blackout] was made, and I disagree with it. That's all. Stop being hypersensitive.

Once again, relate discussion to the movie is fine. But half this recent page is people talking about Nolan taking over threads. And Batman talk has done it in this forum a few times. So, this will be nipped in the butt.

I think the humor is the movie might have pissed me off more than the Mandarin twist. The movie was funny, but this may sound weird, but it was like too funny. The jokes never stopped. Even in the serious action and emotional scenes there was non stop humor. It got old really quick. This is coming from someone who is trying to do stand up as a career. So I am not some debbie downer.

I get what you mean. Even if the jokes are funny, it still sort of ruins the mood if they are throughout a bunch of serious scenes. Tarantino is great at mixing humor with seriousness, but I don't think even he could manage to make a joke about Iron Man's suit falling apart in front of the main villain at the end and not ruin the drama of said scene.

Once again, relate discussion to the movie is fine. But half this recent page is people talking about Nolan taking over threads. And Batman talk has done it in this forum a few times. So, this will be nipped in the butt.

Understood.

I think Nolan comparisons cause too much derailment, but it seems to happen to almost every CBM nowadays.

Just got back from seeing this and I like it a lot. It made the inner comic book fan in me smile the whole time. I don't really get all the hate fanboys are giving this movie and putting it in the same category as Spider Man 3, Green Lantern etc.If anything, this movie should be compared to Dark Knight Rises, both share a similar story structure.

Anyway, I liked that Pepper, Rhodey and Happy had expanded roles but they didn't get much character development but that's okay because this is Tony's movie. RDJ is at his best here and gives Tony a new level of depth. The PTS was handled pretty well in my opinion. I loved seeing more of the genuis mind aspect that Tony has. Ben Kingsly is great as Mandarin ( more on that in a bit) and Guy Pearce is good as Killian. The only weak cast member was Mia ( forgot the actress name). She wasn't horrible but she really didn't have much to do.

Even though this is the darkest Iron Man movie in terms of tone, it's also the funniest of that makes sense. The comedy wasn't forced here and had genuinely funny lines but not all the comedy worked. The kid Harley wasn't annoying at all in my book and worked well with RDJ. The action was great too even though there isn't a whole lot of Iron man suit action but is more than what was in IM2. And when the Iron Man suit is in action it rocks!

Now my feelings on the twist. I guess I should spoiler tag all this.
now I knew the that Ben Kingsly Manadrin was just a front for Killian and he was really a actor named Trevor. I know some fans are pissed because those first couple of TV broadcast were spot on as Mandarin from the comics. And I get it to some degree. But The overall essence of Mandarin was still intact with Killan. His plan, motivations and fighting style was all Mandarin. When he say' s I am Mandarin in the final fight, he truly is . He created the Ten Rings, wanted global power etc. The only thing he didn't have was the look and the magical ten rings. Yes, Ben would have been a good mandarin but to be its not an abomination. Saying the entire movie was as bad as Spider Man 3 or Green Lantern is stupid and childish just because the Mandarin wasn't portrayed exactly like he was in the comics or by Ben.

Overall, I give this a solid 8/10 putting it slightly behind Iron Man 1 and blows IM2 out of the water in every way in my book. This is one of the best Marvel cinematic movies to date and a fine send off to Tony's solo movie career ( at least for now). Phase 2 is looking good! Bravo Marvel

Last edited:
Easily the worst of the series imo. Just so much I didn't like.

Besides the controversial and debatable Mandarian twist what was so horrible about it? I really don't get the hate.

9/10

Well, I’m one of the happy fans to be sure. I had high expectations going in to this film and it managed to hit or exceed almost all of them. I simply loved that nothing held to any type of cliche. Nearly every interaction delivered something unexpected and fresh. Stark was shaken to his very core by the events of Avengers and further more by the events early in this film. Make no mistake, this movie is all about Tony Stark’s struggles both external and especially internal. Choosing to focus on Tony out of the armor is a wonderful decision. RDJ is as brilliant as he’s ever been as Stark. Fans of the books (of which I’m one) may complain about certain character translations but I really have no complaints. Flexibility has always been a Marvel strength over the years and I liked how they flexed and twisted certain ideas here. The thing they get so right from the books is the ingenuity of Tony Stark. He’s so much more than a man in a metal suit. It’s his brain and his wit that are the true weapons. This movie goes out of its way to illustrate that brilliantly.

The armored adventure scenes do thrill but are spaced by gritty old fashion action and a movie filled with a lot of heart and humor. Again, it was well played and I found it to be genuinely refreshing while bold all at the same time. No one can accuse them of playing it safe.

As for the supporting cast, the results were spotty. Pepper is given her due and Killian is an amazing villain. The rest of the supporting cast is barely seen and underutilized. Despite one very cool hero moment, Rhodey isn’t fleshed out at all. I can’t say much about The Mandarin. Overall, it’s a well crafted, funny and refreshing number three film that wraps up the trilogy beautifully.

Besides the controversial and debatable Mandarian twist what was so horrible about it? I really don't get the hate.

Well the Mandarin twist was a huge part of me not liking it. You're taking his most Iconic Villain and turned him into a joke. Literally a running gag.

Yet at the same time, they're grasping at straws creating villains from multiple characters.

That in itself pisses me off.

-I was over the whole Iron Man is broken plot line like halfway into the movie, it just got old.

- The movie was not really "fun" or "epic" in the same way that IM1 and to a lesser extent IM2 was.

- The few action pieces that were in there were good. But there were far too little in the overall movie.

- AIM kind of fell flat, as for outside of the extremis , they didn't really seem to be any kind of brilliant scientist.

- I hate the whole Pepper Pots in the suit, saving Tony, and then essentially beating Pearce's character at the end.
- Almost too much of the comedy element.
- Too much time in Tennessee

• Nonstop Humor and one-liners during a serious or emotional scene
  • Mandarin twist
  • Pepper [BLACKOUT]kills Killian. Pepper has now killed Killian and Stane. She also got Hammer arrested.[/BLACKOUT]
  • Tony was [BLACKOUT]only actually in the suit for like 10 minutes total[/BLACKOUT]
  • Everytime Tony would do something badass, he would ruin it like 1 second later with a stupid mistake that was played for laughs
  • The reason Killian [BLACKOUT]does all this is because a drunk Stark ditched him on a roof[/BLACKOUT]
  • Iron Patriot [BLACKOUT]does absolutely nothing[/BLACKOUT]
I could go on an on. This is coming from someone who has only really disliked 2 movies in his life and is really not hard to please.

• Mandarin twist
  • Pepper [BLACKOUT]kills Killian. Pepper has now killed Killian and Stane. She also got Hammer arrested.[/BLACKOUT]
  • Tony was [BLACKOUT]only actually in the suit for like 10 minutes total[/BLACKOUT]
  • Everytime Tony would do something badass, he would ruin it like 1 second later with a stupid mistake that was played for laughs
  • The reason Killian [BLACKOUT]does all this is because a drunk Stark ditched him on a roof[/BLACKOUT]
I could go on an on. This is coming from someone who has only really disliked 2 movies in his life and is really not hard to please.

Right there with you, I usually like all comic book movies but this was just so unimpressive.

Shane Black did this as more of a Tony Stark character study than an actual superhero movie, I honestly believe that.

• Mandarin twist

*Fair enough on your complaints about Pepper, humor, and The Twist, but that's subjective and a matter of differing opinions;
*dead wrong about Iron Patriot, who does quite a lot in this movie;
*The Tony thing was to make him go back to his "cave" and force him to rely on his wits instead of the suit. Some people like, some people no like;
*Killian: dead wrong again.
Killian is going after Pepper, not Stark. That's what people who aren't paying attention fail to realize. Yeah, he's miffed that Tony ditched him at the party. But later, he met and fell in love with Pepper, and became obsessed with her. In modern times, he approaches *her* for "help" instead of Stark. Stark is merely in the way, and Killian is jealous as hell that Party Boy essentially "stole his gal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"