Official Supreme Power talkback thread

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
:eek: Good lord this book is incredible

Emil Burbank: Obviously a amaglam of pre and post crisis Lex Luthor (as noted by the arranged car accident involving his parents, and sexually abusing his sister). This is by far my favorite character, if for no other reason than the concept of having Luthor on the JLA. Most interesting is his behind the scenes schemes. The fact that he has aforeknowledge of the future and is "planning" for it. My favorite part was last issue where Inertia finds he has killed seven rebels.

Edith Freiberg: My next favorite character probably because she reminds me of women I date (and enjoy being around). I love her jabs and sexual tension with Burbank. She really is an interesting and funny character and adds a great dynamic to the overall group

Mark Milton: Going down the list. I think the he really got me with this line in the last issue.

"Mark Milton: The first time some Cro-Magnon put on a loincloth that was a different color from the loincloths everybody else was wearing...you can be sure the rest beat the crap out of him...
...The whole world lives in fear of those who are different, and those who choose to make themselves different.

Stanley:So what're you saying...that the world is gonna turn on us one of these days
Mark Milton: If they're smart."

He is a philosophically and mentally stimulating character. Very hard to turn away from. Like Superman, when he talks you listen...only what he has to say is not nearly as comforting. I was extremely intrigued by the notion he brings up that discrimination may be "smart". It's an incredibly hard concept to wrap my head around. But I feel there may be some truth to it. That with difference comes disorder and chaos, and maybe there is something inherently within us that drives this fear...and of course the allusion to Hyperion mini is in that as well

Nighthawk: Though readily avoided thus far, its obvious this rogue is gonna show us what the world would be like if the high and mighty Justice League left Batman out.

The rest of the cast including Doctor Spectrum, Power Princess, General Alexander, Raleigh Lund and Arcanna are equally as interesting...this book just keeps getting better and better.

Post any thoughts on SS here and discussions on upcoming stories and current issues.

This is about the new Squadron Supreme? or the MAXI title Supreme Power?

I have read both issues of Squadron Surpeme, and just love it. I am gonna try and get all the SP back issues...

Can someone put a list of all the character nods to DC. Like Hyperion to Superman..etc??

PWN3R RANGER said:
This is about the new Squadron Supreme? or the MAXI title Supreme Power?

I have read both issues of Squadron Surpeme, and just love it. I am gonna try and get all the SP back issues...

Can someone put a list of all the character nods to DC. Like Hyperion to Superman..etc??
yeah here
Squadron MembersJLA CounterpartsHyperionSupermanNighthawkBatmanPower PrincessWonder WomanDoctor SpectrumGreen LanternAmphibianAquamanSkymax, the Skrullian Skymaster
(only seen in a flashback cameo in Squadron Supreme #1;
not seen in full until New World Order)Martian ManhunterGolden Archer
(originally named Hawkeye, later named Black Archer)Green ArrowLady Lark
(later named Skylark)Black Canary
(Skylark also analogous to Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl)Tom ThumbAtom
(loose adaptation)Blue Eagle
(originally named American Eagle; also called Cap'n Hawk)HawkmanArcannaZatannaNukeFirestormWhizzerFlash
kinda screwed up the formating there...names are next to DC counterpart

Ape-X (somewhat reminiscent on Gorilla Grodd)
Lamprey (Hyperion's foe, loosely based on Parasite)
Shape (sometimes associated with Elongated Man)
New World Order also mentioned a number of other unseen characters with DC Universe analogues, such as the Erl King (a Swamp Thing analogue).

ShadowBoxing said:
:eek: Good lord this book is incredible

Emil Burbank: Obviously a amaglam of pre and post crisis Lex Luthor (as noted by the arranged car accident involving his parents, and sexually abusing his sister). This is by far my favorite character, if for no other reason than the concept of having Luthor on the JLA. Most interesting is his behind the scenes schemes. The fact that he has aforeknowledge of the future and is "planning" for it. My favorite part was last issue where Inertia finds he has killed seven rebels.

Edith Freiberg: My next favorite character probably because she reminds me of women I date (and enjoy being around). I love her jabs and sexual tension with Burbank. She really is an interesting and funny character and adds a great dynamic to the overall group

Mark Milton: Going down the list. I think the he really got me with this line in the last issue.

"Mark Milton: The first time some Cro-Magnon put on a loincloth that was a different color from the loincloths everybody else was wearing...you can be sure the rest beat the crap out of him...
...The whole world lives in fear of those who are different, and those who choose to make themselves different.

Stanley:So what're you saying...that the world is gonna turn on us one of these days
Mark Milton: If they're smart."

He is a philosophically and mentally stimulating character. Very hard to turn away from. Like Superman, when he talks you listen...only what he has to say is not nearly as comforting. I was extremely intrigued by the notion he brings up that discrimination may be "smart". It's an incredibly hard concept to wrap my head around. But I feel there may be some truth to it. That with difference comes disorder and chaos, and maybe there is something inherently within us that drives this fear...and of course the allusion to Hyperion mini is in that as well

Nighthawk: Though readily avoided thus far, its obvious this rogue is gonna show us what the world would be like if the high and mighty Justice League left Batman out.

The rest of the cast including Doctor Spectrum, Power Princess, General Alexander, Raleigh Lund and Arcanna are equally as interesting...this book just keeps getting better and better.

Post any thoughts on SS here and discussions on upcoming stories and current issues.

Shadow, if you're enjoying this book so much, you should check out the Gruenwald maxi-series. This is essentially Ultimate SS, a lot of the issues explored were already done, and in some cases a lot better. You'll see his influence on the trend of deconstuctionist comics, realistic superheroes and even certain plot elements currently happening in DC comics done first here Identity Crisis, parts of Infinite Crisis, simply amazing...

Thank you Shadow, exactly what I was looking for.

The Watchman said:
Shadow, if you're enjoying this book so much, you should check out the Gruenwald maxi-series. This is essentially Ultimate SS, a lot of the issues explored were already done, and in some cases a lot better. You'll see his influence on the trend of deconstuctionist comics, realistic superheroes and even certain plot elements currently happening in DC comics done first here Identity Crisis, parts of Infinite Crisis, simply amazing...
I have the original Squadron Supreme :confused: not New World Order though

ShadowBoxing said:
Support the best book (IMO) in Marvel folks

Which one Supreme Power or the new Squadron Supreme?

I really have been enjoying Squadron Supreme so far....:up:

PWN3R RANGER said:
Which one Supreme Power or the new Squadron Supreme?

I really have been enjoying Squadron Supreme so far....:up:
Supreme Power was the MAX title that led to the current Squadron Supreme...I call the universe Supreme Power because it differentiates it from the original Squadron Supreme verse Gruenwald created.

Ah, I see. I am still a noob to this...:(

This is the closest I'll ever get to buying Ultimate comics. :p

ShadowBoxing said:
It pwns Ultimate Universe thats for sure.

Which is sad, because they are doing the whole 'Ultimate Power' thing....:( :confused: :( .

I hope they don't screw it up too much.

PWN3R RANGER said:
Which is sad, because they are doing the whole 'Ultimate Power' thing....:( :confused: :( .

I hope they don't screw it up too much.
I doubt it will cross into the ongoing.

Yeah it will. One of the previews for a upcoming issue said, "Get in before Ultimate Power" or something like that....

PWN3R RANGER said:
Yeah it will. One of the previews for a upcoming issue said, "Get in before Ultimate Power" or something like that....
dang:mad: ...I thought it was going to be a stand alone mini.

ShadowBoxing said:
Support the best book (IMO) in Marvel folks

Book of Lost Souls (another great JMS book) is my favorite at the moment but this is probably the second best.

I just saw a documentary called "Invisible Children" about children who were being abducted and brainwashed into rebel armies who would then kill and sack more tribes and villages. I thought it was most interesting to give "The Voice" the power to brainwash people. It was a great way to explain through super powers and current event.

Yeah i have all of supreme power and nighthawk, doc spectru, and hyperion books. I think its much harsher than the ultimate universe and it tries to show i don't know how they would like to see the justice league or how they thought superman should be if he were raised by the government. I don't know. I mean it makes more sense. I don't know what got me hooked on this series. Its pretty good so far though.

Although the crater in the earth thing was kind of over the top for me. It didn't accomplish anything but an ass woopin for mark.

ShadowBoxing said:
yeah here
Squadron MembersJLA CounterpartsHyperionSupermanNighthawkBatmanPower PrincessWonder WomanDoctor SpectrumGreen LanternAmphibianAquamanSkymax, the Skrullian Skymaster
(only seen in a flashback cameo in Squadron Supreme #1;
not seen in full until New World Order)Martian ManhunterGolden Archer
(originally named Hawkeye, later named Black Archer)Green ArrowLady Lark
(later named Skylark)Black Canary
(Skylark also analogous to Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl)Tom ThumbAtom
(loose adaptation)Blue Eagle
(originally named American Eagle; also called Cap'n Hawk)HawkmanArcannaZatannaNukeFirestormWhizzerFlash
kinda screwed up the formating there...names are next to DC counterpart

Ape-X (somewhat reminiscent on Gorilla Grodd)
Lamprey (Hyperion's foe, loosely based on Parasite)
Shape (sometimes associated with Elongated Man) New World Order also mentioned a number of other unseen characters with DC Universe analogues, such as the Erl King (a Swamp Thing analogue).

Also, I think that Nighthawk's redeemers, while aparntly not based on any DCU heroes, are in fact loosely based on the Outsiders:

Redstone: Geo Force
Inertia: Halo
Moonglow: Looker
Haywire: Black Lightning
Thermite: Metamorpho

The Question said:
Also, I think that Nighthawk's redeemers, while aparntly not based on any DCU heroes, are in fact loosely based on the Outsiders:

Redstone: Geo Force
Inertia: Halo
Moonglow: Looker
Haywire: Black Lightning
Thermite: Metamorpho
Yes...I thought that was in my post because it was on the page I got it from, hmmm, oh well...yeah you're right they are.

The Watchman said:

Mate I’d love to know more about this 'Gruenwald maxi-series' .... Loving Supreme power, although i can see it running out of ideas, if they don't introduce some other element into it. I get the impression everyone’s is a bit too powerful, for it to be as realistic as it intends to be. I mean how many ideas can they come with to kill a character who can create 10.5's on the Richter scale.

yahman said:
Mate I’d love to know more about this 'Gruenwald maxi-series' .... Loving Supreme power, although i can see it running out of ideas, if they don't introduce some other element into it. I get the impression everyone’s is a bit too powerful, for it to be as realistic as it intends to be. I mean how many ideas can they come with to kill a character who can create 10.5's on the Richter scale.

It was mid eighties Yahs I have the trade and most of the individuals, I'm missing one. What you see now is a revamp of it. The events take place after The Overmind has enslaved the Squadron Supreme in Defenders, It is excellent.

Whirly

I must say, I am enjoting the relaunch. My only real gripe is the little flashback to Inertia's past.
Surprise of surprises, a female comic book character's source of character developement is that she was raped. That's certainly origional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"