**OFFICIAL** Thor: Love & thunder spoilers thread

How do we feel about Thor being a Dad now of an adopted child? Thor doesnt fit into this imo.
I was really annoyed by this to be honest..
I don’t like it because it doesn’t feel like a natural progression. Thor if anything has regressed and is less mature than Thor 1. It’s like when a show is in its 6th season and throws in a new kid because they’re out of ideas.

Just saw it and it was just ok. Hard to disgest. The good things were great but the bad things were bad and most of the humor was a big miss.

Pros -

Loved Jane Foster Thor and wish we could have seen more of her. Her use of a broken hammer was pretty cool.

Bale surprised me as Gorr. He was creepy and enjoyed his arc and redemption in the end. Glad he got closure by having a god acknowledged his prayer and accepting protecting his daughter.

Good soundtrack - Can't go wrong with GnR and Dio (credits).

The Battle in the Shadow planet was pretty cool and loved how the red, yellow and blue kept bleeding out as the fight kept going.

Loved the effects of the shadow monsters.

Eternity and the hall with the heads.

Cons -

The forced humor was a miss and cringy and took me out of the film for the most part.

The final figtht with the powered up kids.

Soundtrack was inferior to Marks in Ragnarok

Wish Lady Syf had a bigger and better role

I rank Phase 4 as

• Doctor Strange MoM
  • Eternals
  • Shang Chi LOTTR
  • Black Widow
  • Spider Man NWH
  • Thor L&T

I just saw this as being told from Korg's narrative pov as he didn't really know them (an as Thor new bbf, probably was a little jealous of their past history with Thor) so, from his prospective they weren't a note worthy part of "his story", but, that doesn't take away from their actual character history

Also, Ragnarok already did the greatest disrespect to the W3 by turning them into cannon fodder and not even having Thor acknowledge their deaths.

Also, Ragnarok already did the greatest disrespect to the W3 by turning them into cannon fodder and not even having Thor acknowledge their deaths.
I still don’t understand why that was necessary. At least if the other 2 had gone out like Hogun I could have been fine with it.

The Good:
-All fights prior to the climax were pretty cool. I liked the displays of Thor's power, though nothing truly wowed me
-SOME of the humor was good. Keyword: SOME
-CGI was general aight
-I liked Thor's new armor. Would've been better with the sleeves like the promo material kept showing (he had em for like 30 seconds...)
-The "Welcome to the Jungle" part at the beginning was real badass.
-Gorr was pretty cool and Christian Bale did a great job as the character.
-Generally the acting was fine. Even despite the horrible script.

The Bad:
-Too. Much. ****ing. Humor. This movie was just a ****ty romcom with the facade of a superhero movie. Get rid of Taika Waititi.
-Thor is an incompetent doofus now for some reason.
-Korg was obnoxious
-Gorr was wasted.
-The climax was stupid as hell. What could've been a huge explosive throwdown between Thor with Stormbreaker and Gorr ended up limiting Stormbreaker to a ****ty plot device and wasting 50% of the budget on an army of children. Seriously? Thor didn't even use Stormbreaker FFS.
-Everybody was weak as hell in this. There were no true "wow" moments. Thor, Mighty Thor, Gorr... Nobody did anything.
-Zeus' scene was a cringe fiesta
-The ending setting us up for another sequel that I now give zero ****s about
-And what the hell is up with Stormbreaker? The most prominence it had was being a comedic anchor as it was "jealous" of Mjolnir, and as a random plot device. This movie truly felt like a Robot Chicken skit. It's embarassing

Honestly there's probably more I'm forgetting but I saw the movie yesterday and was disappointed. I didn't HATE it, like I had fun watching it but overall it was such a disappointment and an insult to Thor's character.

Thor in the context of his life knew the warriors three for much much longer than Korg.

Thor in the context of his life knew the warriors three for much much longer than Korg.

True, but again the narration is from Korg's perspective. You could also say that Thor knew Sif for way longer than he knew Jane, but he loved Jane way more.

I don’t like it because it doesn’t feel like a natural progression. Thor if anything has regressed and is less mature than Thor 1. It’s like when a show is in its 6th season and throws in a new kid because they’re out of ideas.

Great analogy and its a shame really this was Marvels Chance to put Thor in the forefront with no Tony and Steve and basically made him a parody. Hopefully Thor vs Hercules in the 5th one delivers but they need to put restraints on Taika

Last edited:
The more I think about this movie the more I hate it and honestly has killed my interest in future MCU movies. I have yet to miss a single MCU movie in theaters but after this, I am going to be more selective.

There was zero plot beyond defeating the bad guy of the week. You could take the whole Omnipotent City segment out and you wouldn’t miss anything as Zeus’ lightning bolt was just so Thor could have another weapon after Stormbreaker was stolen. Every joke in New Asgard was a miss and took away from any drama. Everyone just makes quips.

Phase One had its flaws but every major character had his or her own personality. They all didn’t sound like they were trying to be Tony Stark.

this really sums up, what I was thinking after watching it. And btw what I hated about GotG Vol 2 as well. The humor was way to forced and repetitive (e.g. Drax making fun about how ugly Mantis is). The humor of GotG Vol 1 was on point as it was for Ragnarok. It wasn’t for L&T, it often missed the timing.

But tbh I can’t wait to watch it again for the good parts on D+ soon, just not in the cinema again.

Just realized that in Ragnarok Korg says his mom and her boyfriend who he hates were the only ones to show up to his revolution.
That kind of doesn't fit with the "all kronans are male and Korg's two dads had him by handholding" thing from this movie, right?

Sorry, but I have to comment on this. This post was in response to someone asking how you feel about Thor being a adoptive father. I know first hand about adopting a child that isn't yours biologically, both from the fathers point of view and from the child's, and it takes massive balls, massive heart, and massive maturity. To say otherwise couldn't be further from the truth.

Re: Thor being a dad. I'm just purely speculating but I suspect there was much more footage and foreshadowing of this in one of Waitii's earlier edits. I think back on that first trailer and that trailer was painting this movie out to be an introspective one of Thor kind of going through an existential crisis and trying to find himself and find new purpose. None of that made it into this cut of the film except a throwaway line he said to Jane about finding his purpose but there was zero exploration of that.

Therefore I think Thor having a kid in THEORY would have been the payoff to this introspective journey of Thor's but I think in the midst of editing and whatnot the studio just told Waiitit to cut all that stuff out and focus on making it a lean fun comedy.

Just realized that in Ragnarok Korg says his mom and her boyfriend who he hates were the only ones to show up to his revolution.
That kind of doesn't fit with the "all kronans are male and Korg's two dads had him by handholding" thing from this movie, right?
This is the kind of thing where too much creative control isn't always a good thing. There were plenty of times during the movie where I thought that Taika should have been reined in a bit. Let Korg be gay but don't muddle the continuity, however minuscule it may be.

Re: Thor being a dad. I'm just purely speculating but I suspect there was much more footage and foreshadowing of this in one of Waitii's earlier edits. I think back on that first trailer and that trailer was painting this movie out to be an introspective one of Thor kind of going through an existential crisis and trying to find himself and find new purpose. None of that made it into this cut of the film except a throwaway line he said to Jane about finding his purpose but there was zero exploration of that.

There is a hint of it during the Thor/Jane flashback sequence, when Korg says that Thor started looking forward to the future, and it shows him looking through a window and seeing a reflection of a child in a pram.

I hate the daughter angle.

I know they're trying to give him something new to do - but it's one of those obvious Disney mandates that are going to keep coming up in these films. I mean let's face it, is there ever a time we're going to see her really in danger when in battle? No. Just like in all the SW shows (Baby Grogu, Luke & Leia) it's going to just be chase scenes over and over again or fights with little weight to them.

Btw saw a couple of clutch comments on another forum - one of them said "Gorr the God Off-Screener" - which was so true. The other pointed out how Gorr's purpose suddenly changed in the 3rd act from killing Gods to suddenly seeking Eternity to bring back his daughter. That hadn't occurred to me and just more proof (for me at least) of how terrible the screenwriting was for this movie.

Last edited:
I really liked the broken shards of Mjolnir being used in combat. Would be cool if that could be taken forward somehow for future films.

At the end of the film Mjolnir is back as one whole piece without any cracks in it anymore, so I doubt we'll get that.

The more I think about the movie, the more I don’t like it. Although the CGI was pretty bad, that’s not the film’s biggest problem. I firmly believe Taika when he said he kept throwing ideas out and Marvel didn’t stop him because you can see the creative vomit all over the place. The humor doesn’t work here because there isn’t a strong balance when serious moments are presented. Even when Gorr shows up, I don’t feel like any of the characters are in danger because we barely see him and when he does show up, his shadow monsters are doing most of the work.

I’m kind of torn on whether it’s worth Taika coming back for another movie or if they should just let another director take over because I don’t think he’ll buckle down. Overall, Phase 4 is the most consistently messy of any of the prior phases.

Phase 4 Ranking
1. No Way Home
2. Eternals
3. Shang-Chi
4. MoM
5. Black Widow
6. Love & Thunder

Last edited:
I know Taika has a quirky-weird sort of comedy... but that "Dumpling God" felt a bit of a steal from Everything Everywhere; and didn't work as well as the rocks, deck trophies, or hotdog fingers did.

Phase 4 movie rankings:

1. Love and Thunder
2. No Way Home
3. Shang-Chi
4. Multiverse of Madness
5. Black Widow
6. Eternals

Maybe Korg ended up on Sakaar as a child and was raised there by an adoptive mom. Then later after he escaped he met back up with his biological (er...geological?) parents.

I hope Taika comes back. I want to see his Nebraska Thor on a road trip movie idea he suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"