Official thread for TMNT: IMMORTAL 2007

I've been a long time TMNT fan as long as I can remember, the cartoons and the movies. Wasn't sure about the CGI approach, but if it looks gritty and realistic, then I'm all for it. I'll be there, 2007. :up:

Isildur´s Heir said:
I´m totally hyped for this movie.
I always thought that TMNT should be a CGI movie, and not live action.
Why?
Because, like Kevin Munroe, "Believable creatures and non-human characters that would normally stick out a lot more in a live action feature if they were cg or suits", and we can´t forget that it´s a movie about 4 humanoid turtles and a rat.
But, what makes me very hyped for it.....the return to the dark roots of the original comics.

My only problem so far, the fact that they are not going to start from scratch :(
You could have well make the origin in flashback, but they should restart the damn thing.
I just hope that they make a serious movie of how 4 humanoid turtles can live with the urge of teenage years and being...well.....turtles.

Why try and redo a classic?

I love TMNT.Ever since I was a kid I loved them.The first movie is a classic.The second one is cool,The third one is where it all went to hell. I was a little weary of the cgi thing at first but after the interview and pix I am not so worried no more.

i fear this is going to be Straight to Video.

Isildur´s Heir said:
It´s your call and i respect it, and i never said anything about an origin movie, look at my first post again.
What i said was, they should forget the previous movies, and start over, as for the origin, you might as well tell it as flshbacks, so you don´t have an all movie dedicated on that.

As for the Lucas remark....i´m sorry, but Star Wars is a series, not sequels...so, it doesn´t apply here.
Besides, like i said, the only way i can see braking that rule is when a movie is so perfect and so amazing, that you will never top that.
In that case, don´t restart, because it would be stupid to do so.
I said that in my second post!

Fanboy....hardly.
I never read a TMNT comic in my life, i don´t like the movies (besides the first, which as it´s moments) and i don´t watch the cartoon.
But i do like the all idea behind the TMNT, the fact that they are humanoid turtles trying to blend in a world that as no place for them, the teenage year of those humanoid turtles, the Shredder....

The thing is, when you like/love something, and you want it to go right, the right place to start is at the begining (that´s the origin) and not at the middle.
If you can´t make people understand or care for the story and the characters at hand, what´s the point?
The only way to understand where people are going, is to know from where they came from...by other words, the origin, and that it´s not just in this case, but in comic books making a come back (coff....Superman...coff)
The only way to forget that and jump to the middle is, like i say above, if the first movie is perfect.......and this is not the case.

In the cases of both Superman Returns and TMNT: Immortal, I think the approach is fine. There's no need in retelling an origin that's well known, be it Superman or the Ninja Turtles. With Superman, you've got the first movie, Smallville, and the Animated Series for an origin. With TMNT, you have the classic first movie. In both cases, they nailed the essence of the characters.

You don't need to know where people came from to know where they're going, you just need to know why. And you don't need to retell an origin to do that, you can explore the "why" reasons in the story without having to tell something that's been told before. Instead, you can nail "why" and where they are going by telling something fresh.

do u think Munroe will bring characters from both the Mirage and Archie comic books, or just the Mirage?

Like the new cartoon, it's going to be from the classic comics from Mirage Studios. The Archie comics were based off the campy 90's cartoon (which sucked though I'd say the 5 episode pilot was the only good thing that came out of that show). I can't wait! Also, the newest volume of the TMNT cartoon dvd comes out this tuesday.:doom:

you know,the turtles from the other movies still look pretty awesome.But these just blow them out of the water.

2007=:up:

Duneboy said:
Like the new cartoon, it's going to be from the classic comics from Mirage Studios. The Archie comics were based off the campy 90's cartoon (which sucked though I'd say the 5 episode pilot was the only good thing that came out of that show). I can't wait! Also, the newest volume of the TMNT cartoon dvd comes out this tuesday.:doom:
I know they were campy but those old cartoons are what got me into tmnt.

Speak for yourself sir. TMNT was the 1st comic I ever picked up, then years later the 5 episode pilot came out & I was shocked at all the changes they made to it. I still like it but when they went into regular syndication, personally it stunk.:daredevil

Has anyone else heard any more info. concerning the new TMNT film? I saw on Ebay that they're selling those 2 new images. Limited to like 200 copies only I think. The upcoming San Diego Comic Con's also gonna feature a preview of the film.

sage1047 said:
With Superman, you've got the first movie, Smallville, and the Animated Series for an origin. With TMNT, you have the classic first movie. In both cases, they nailed the essence of the characters.
I don´t agree with you on that.
You can´t use diferent "franchises" as a starting point for an all new thing...you can´t expect people to watch Smallville or the Animated Series.
The same can be said about the TMNT classic movie.
It´s like what they are doing with the new Superman franchise....to make a Superman movie (post-crisis) using a pre-crisis movie as a starting point.
In my opinion, that´s just ridiculous...
Each franchise as to be looked as something new and diferent...

You don't need to know where people came from to know where they're going, you just need to know why. And you don't need to retell an origin to do that, you can explore the "why" reasons in the story without having to tell something that's been told before. Instead, you can nail "why" and where they are going by telling something fresh.
But, the reason why always come from the starting point, meaning, the origin :confused:
And when i mean the "WHY", "WHERE PEOPLE CAME FROM" and "WHERE THEY´RE GOING", i mean personality wise, of course.

Isildur´s Heir said:
I don´t agree with you on that.
You can´t use diferent "franchises" as a starting point for an all new thing...you can´t expect people to watch Smallville or the Animated Series.
The same can be said about the TMNT classic movie.
It´s like what they are doing with the new Superman franchise....to make a Superman movie (post-crisis) using a pre-crisis movie as a starting point.
In my opinion, that´s just ridiculous...
Each franchise as to be looked as something new and diferent...

You can use any franchise as a starting point as long as it makes sense. For TMNT, the origin was told well, still holds up today, and can easily be continued from. Considering it's TMNT, you can nearly expect anyone who has will see the new film has seen the first one at least. For Superman, you can assume that people know the Superman 101 basics, which doesn't really require you to see the first film. Each franchise should be looked at as something new and different, but if you tell the same story that's been told already, that's not new, that's a rehash of the past.

To add, in movie continuity there is no pre-crisis or post-crisis, you simply pick and choose the elements you want to include in your story. Case in point: Batman Begins. It's not purely post crisis, it's taken a lot of elements from the 70s comics, which is part of the pre-crisis era. You only take what you think will work best, you don't isolate one idea from another.

Isildur´s Heir said:
But, the reason why always come from the starting point, meaning, the origin :confused:
And when i mean the "WHY", "WHERE PEOPLE CAME FROM" and "WHERE THEY´RE GOING", i mean personality wise, of course.

The reason why doesn't always come from the origin, unless it's linked to the origin. And if you already know where these people came from, such as the case with TMNT and Superman, you don't need to know the full story all over again.

*pees pants* As a life long TMNT fan I am SO hyped for this. It looks like it's going to be as good as or better than the first movie from 1990. The 80s cartoon is very cute and a lot of fun, but at the end of the day I like my turtles serious and believeable. With this, Batman Begins, and the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe movie coming out in December I am feeling just like a little kid again. It's so cool.

Freaking sweet :UP: cant wait to see how it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"