Status
Not open for further replies.

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
Ultimate X-Men

Creative Team: Robert Kirkman(writer) & Ben Oliver(artist),

ux75coverturnercmykcorrju8.jpg

Team Members: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Colossus, Rogue, Iceman, Shadowcat, Storm

Storyline Info: With betrayals and losses of former friends, the X-Men are trying to pick up the pieces of their lives, but the sudden arrival from the future by a mysterious man known only as Cable threatens to shatter what little they have left.

:D :D :up:

Kirkman is usually a great writer, I'm hoping he will nail this book. First arc with him was ok, still wanna know what happened between Kurt and Pete.

And ugh, Oliver's art wasn't right for this book. It was slick, but so NOT for this book.

How long has Kirkman been on? I read it a bit when Bendis was on but it was so-so, then BKV got on board and everyone seems to love him, but I haven't really liked any of his arcs. Maybe I'll start picking it up again.

Bendis's arc wasn't good. BKV's arcs were awesome, he really had me waiting every month for this book. And Kirkman has been on for 4 issues so far. First arc had all the xmen hanging out. "Date Night."

First two issues were great, the ending to it was kinda meh. The new arc, 'Phoenix?', just started.

I've heard that Bendis's arc is mostly a lead into to the writer that came after them. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the plan from the beginning. That tends to Bendis style. There are times in Ultimate Spider-man where certain arcs will just introduce plot points and characters and move on then he'll go back to them.

He's the only writer on USM so he can do that. But I think people tend to think of the writers arc as self-contained in Ultimate X-men for some reason which I don't get. It's all apart of the larger story, just writen by different writers. Why does a writer have to make their run so self contained or isolated from the rest? Why can't a writer start something but leave it up to the next writer to expand or finish it up?

This book has dropped the ball hard.

This line seems to come and go. At times there are some real nice pieces and at others *time to hold the nose*.

Last set I ever picked up was "Magnetic North"

This "Date Night" arc just seems to be downtime. I hope with the Broherhood attacking the prom, maybe Magneto's whereabouts will be made apparent.

Fantastic artwork. Too bad none of the current X-Titles ever get this treatment.

ProfeZZor X said:
Fantastic artwork. Too bad none of the current X-Titles ever get this treatment.

May I say wtf? :confused:

Explain this.

PWN3R RANGER said:
May I say wtf? :confused:
Explain this.

LOL.... I mostly read X-Men (the book), and if anyone here thinks the current artist working with Milligan (who will remain nameless) is better than Vaughn, Oliver, or Raney, they're crazy. :down :(

ProfeZZor X said:
LOL.... I mostly read X-Men (the book), and if anyone here thinks the current artist working with Milligan (who will remain nameless) is better than Vaughn, Oliver, or Raney, they're crazy. :down :(

Well Vaughn was the writer on Ultimate X-Men until Kirkman came so youre just confused. :p

Oliver was just a fill in, from what I read he won't do more than an issue or two. And from Raney's cover, he looks to be good.

And current X-titles, Astonishing X-Men, John Cassaday's art is amazing. You should check that out.

I always found Ultimate X-Men artwork to be kind of cheesy, but I love the story-line. Date Night has been a huge let done to me, but this is the only book that I have collected since issue #1 so I won't be dropping it any time soon.

PWN3R RANGER said:
Well Vaughn was the writer on Ultimate X-Men until Kirkman came so youre just confused. :p

Oliver was just a fill in, from what I read he won't do more than an issue or two. And from Raney's cover, he looks to be good.

And current X-titles, Astonishing X-Men, John Cassaday's art is amazing. You should check that out.

OOps did I say Vaughn, I meant the artist working with Vaughn. I forgot his name.... Maybe I'll take a look at Cassaday's work this coming Wednesday....

By the way, that is an incredible cover at the top of this post. Don't know if anyone noticed, but Jean's flame trail and Iceman's slide make up the "X" in X-Men. I wonder if that was intentional.

Effect said:
I've heard that Bendis's arc is mostly a lead into to the writer that came after them. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the plan from the beginning. That tends to Bendis style. There are times in Ultimate Spider-man where certain arcs will just introduce plot points and characters and move on then he'll go back to them.

He's the only writer on USM so he can do that. But I think people tend to think of the writers arc as self-contained in Ultimate X-men for some reason which I don't get. It's all apart of the larger story, just writen by different writers. Why does a writer have to make their run so self contained or isolated from the rest? Why can't a writer start something but leave it up to the next writer to expand or finish it up?

Yea, I liked Bendis's run for that reason. The first 3-4 issues were kinda blah though, since they were only Wolverine and Spiderman running around.

ProfeZZor X said:

you mean Immonen? ;) I loved his art, thought he was a great fit for the feel of the book.

BEST COVER EVER!!!!!

ULTXANN002_cov_col.jpg

UXM Annual #2 coming in august. :)

GNR4Life said:
This book has dropped the ball hard.

I agree. I'll say it once and I'll say it again : this book just hasn't been the same since Millar's run. Just look at the arcs he wrote compared to those of any of the other writers, it's like two entirely different books. Under Millar, UXM was a larger-than-life thrillride, and he still managed to develop a cast of teenage characters without turning it into the damned WB.

Honestly, NOTHING has happened on this book in like two years. I know every arc can't be Earth-shaking, but I honestly couldn't care less about Rogue and Bobby fornicating and Nightcrawler's homophobia.

ULTX073_cov_col.jpg

ULTIMATE X-MEN #73
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Pencils & Cover by TOM RANEY
“MAGICAL”
The mysterious Magician’s standing with the X-Men is put to the test as questions about his past begin to surface. Did he lie to gain entry to the group? Do his actions belie his true motivations? Just what is this strange young man all about? Meanwhile, a tormented Jean Grey is having great difficulty dealing with the results of the Shi’ar testing. Elsewhere... Dazzler stirs. Part 2 of 3.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99​

ULTXANN002_cov_col.jpg

ULTIMATE X-MEN ANNUAL #2
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Pencils by SALVADOR LARROCA with LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
Dazzler--Alison Blaire, former X-Man--has awakened from her coma only to discover her life is in deadly peril! And even her former fellow X-Men may be powerless to save her as a betrayal within the ranks has left them shellshocked.
Plus: The 2-Page origin of Professor X's cat. drawn by Leinil Francis Yu!
48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99​

Sun_Down said:
I agree. I'll say it once and I'll say it again : this book just hasn't been the same since Millar's run. Just look at the arcs he wrote compared to those of any of the other writers, it's like two entirely different books. Under Millar, UXM was a larger-than-life thrillride, and he still managed to develop a cast of teenage characters without turning it into the damned WB.

Honestly, NOTHING has happened on this book in like two years. I know every arc can't be Earth-shaking, but I honestly couldn't care less about Rogue and Bobby fornicating and Nightcrawler's homophobia.

Are you kidding? Did you miss Vaughan's run? It was great! He wrote a bad ass Gambit. His Magneto arc totally kicked ass. I miss him. Kirkman hasn't impressed me yet though. And i really don't like Raney's art. They should get a better penciller. Joe Mad anyone?

Neptune said:
Are you kidding? Did you miss Vaughan's run? It was great! He wrote a bad ass Gambit. His Magneto arc totally kicked ass. I miss him. Kirkman hasn't impressed me yet though. And i really don't like Raney's art. They should get a better penciller. Joe Mad anyone?

I read Vaughn's run, but I failed to see what everyone loved about it. "Magnetic North" was a big letdown to me. I mean, really, compare it to "The Tommorrow People" or "Return of the King" and there is no comparison. Post-Millar UXM has been "smallball" IMO. You go from Magneto unleashing reprogrammed Sentinels on D.C. and making the president lick his boots in front of the entire nation to Magneto framing a teenage girl for the murder of a few firemen. You go from the Brotherhood busting the X-Men out of Weapon X to the Brotherhood crashing a school dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"