Comics Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuz she's a flake. She hangs around for 5 seconds then runs off to make T'Charlie pancakes when he demands it :o

Storm: "Honey, I gotta go help the X-Men today."

T'Challa: "B****, I thought I said make me a sandwich."

If Claremont hadn't been put out of his(our) misery, I'm sure he'd be on a book where Storm led a team. Betsy'd be explaining how her powers work for half the book though; something I've found Carey doing too often lately particularly with Hellion. But then again, Carey and Claremont have much else in common :down:
There are integral differences between how Carey does it and how Claremont would do it.

Carey was doing it for purposes of exposition. Claremont did it to stroke himself off.

That's right, *****es. I'm caught up on my Uncanny reading and back.

ph33r!

soooo.... Kieron Gillen, eh?

I'm glad he's getting this to himself, time to try something new.
I like his talk of "character development", something that fraction hasn't been a fan of on this book.

There's been some character development for Cyclops and Emma. Whether we liked the development is another topic.

Come this April, Kieron Gillen’s going to be a busy man.

As we announced yesterday, the British native will be writing the newly-revived JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY starring Loki—but that’s not all! In the same month, Gillen becomes the one and only writer of UNCANNY X-MEN, as Matt Fraction leaves one of Marvel’s most beloved titles in his cohort’s capable hands.

Gillen became Fraction’s co-writer on UNCANNY back in December, but he’ll fly solo beginning with issues #534.1 and #535, illustrated by Terry Dodson. We spoke with newly-appointed Senior Editor Nick Lowe about the process of succession, how fresh creative blood helps the X-Men and why Kieron Gillen has what it takes to guide the mighty mutants.

Marvel.com: How did this particular baton pass of writing duties on UNCANNY X-MEN come about, moving from Matt to Kieron?

Nick Lowe: There were a lot of things going on that led to it. First, Matt and Kieron are good friends. They were worked very closely on the “Five Lights” storyline and the planning for GENERATION HOPE. Second, Matt had just started working on Fear Itself and it goes without saying that these events are hugely time-consuming. With his landmark run on INVINCIBLE IRON MAN and his launch of MIGHTY THOR, something had to give, so instead we put he and Kieron together on UNCANNY. One thing led to another and it just became apparent that Matt’s talents were better spent on Fear Itself, IRON MAN and THOR. Kieron had done such a great job co-writing UNCANNY and blew us away with GENERATION HOPE so it was a no-brainer. Also, Kieron completed the obstacle course much faster than the other applicants, so…

Marvel.com: Every writer is different and each brings a fresh approach to the X-Men: What are Kieron’s particular strengths and what new viewpoint does he bring to the title?

Nick Lowe: The first thing that needs to be made clear is that Matt is a tough act to follow. He’s been on the book for 2+ years and has redefined who the X-Men more than anyone since Grant Morrison, really. Think about it—Utopia, Magneto and Namor joining the team, the whole Dark Avengers crossover and Cyclops’ trajectory were all things that are largely defined in Matt’s run. That’s big stuff.

As far as Kieron’s upcoming run, he’s planning on focusing on a smaller number of characters and really putting the characters through hell. Kieron’s greatest strengths are his characters and the emotional resonance that he brings to the table. You’ll see this right away in UNCANNY X-MEN #534.1 and then #535.

Marvel.com: How will Kieron be picking up on what Matt has laid down the past couple years? What new stuff is he adding?

Nick Lowe: He’ll be picking up on the big threads that Matt was dealing with—Magneto, Namor, Kitty—but not in ways that you need to have read every issue. You can start with #534.1 and get in on the ground floor without a problem. I’m a big fan of playing with old and new. I always try to challenge my creators to bring new toys to the table and I will be pushing Kieron to do so, like I did with Matt. The current “Quarantine” arc is playing with characters Matt and Greg Land created earlier in their run, in fact.

Marvel.com: Can you give us some hints about who and what Kieron’s initial arcs will be focused on?

Nick Lowe: In #534.1 we see the X-Men begin to deal with the world knowing that Magneto is part of the X-Men. Think about if you lived in the Marvel Universe. You wouldn’t feel great about the most well-known mutant terrorist in the world walking free and living just off the coast of San Francisco. And then in #535 we dive right into one of the most chilling [X-Men stories] I can remember as what the X-Men did in ASTONISHING X-MEN when we all first saw Breakworld [comes back]. They left that world changed. Is it for the better? And remember, the Breakworlders almost destroyed the world, but the X-Men stopped them. What are they going to do for revenge? I haven’t been as scared since Kieron got to the Bear-Pit section of the obstacle course.

Marvel.com: This is the second time in the past few years UNCANNY X-MEN has segued from one writer to the next by having both work together briefly as co-writers in between tenures—Ed Brubaker’s handoff to Matt being the last—why do you consider this an effective strategy for creator changes?

Nick Lowe:
They were both special circumstances. With Matt and Ed, we had intended them to alternate arcs but Ed’s schedule just got too jammed up and we knew the book was in good hands with Matt. The Kieron/Matt thing was really similar. And it’s looking like we’ve struck gold again, judging by Kieron’s first scripts. Seriously, I was laughing and gasping reading the script to #536 on the subway ride home. It made me forget about those poor runners up, lying on the floor of the Bear Pit. Maybe next time, guys—UNCANNY is Kieron’s baby.

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

http://marvel.com/news/story/15019/gillen_goes_solo_on_x-men

UNCXPO534cov_col.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #534.1
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Pencils & Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
Special Point One issue.
Magneto is an X-Man. This may not be news to you, but only a handful in the Marvel Universe know that the poster boy for Fearing Mutants is now living just off the coast of one of the United State's largest cities. How on Earth are the X-Men going to explain the presence of one of the world's most infamous super villains? This Point One issue provides the answer, and is a perfect jumping on point to the flagship X-Men book. And to make it even MORE special, superstar-artist CARLOS PACHECO (ULTIMATE AVENGERS, ULTIMATE THOR) gets in on the fun!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

UNCX535COV.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #535 & #536
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Pencils & Cover by TERRY DODSON
Issue #535 Thor Goes Hollywood Variant by TBA
“BREAKING POINT”
When the X-Men left the militaristic alien Breakworld, its political structure was reduced to ashes. It didn't stay that way forever. Now a warship is crossing the gulf of space, with a mission that will strike the lives of star-crossed lovers Colossus and Kitty Pryde with all the force of a meteor. Join them as they discover what the vessel them means for them, mutantkind and the rest of the Earth. All courtesy of KIERON GILLEN and TERRY DODSON! Part 1 (of 4).
32 PGS. (each)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (each)

Maybe they can finally address the fact that Peter kinda took over Breakworld at the end of Unstoppable, and then was promptly seen on Earth without any mention of the planet.

happy to hear Gillen's focus will be smaller, and welcome back Dodson!

I knew Fraction was leaving and it was rather obvious. Im glad its alot sooner

One of my FAVORITE artists returns to the X-men! So glad to see Pacheco will be drawing even if it is only oen issue

Last edited:
The idea that they originally intended for Fraction and Brubaker to alternate arcs explains why Sisterhood was so terrible. That was supposed to be Ed Brubaker's arc, but Matt Fraction must've just made things up as he went along.

God, now I'm reminded of how much I liked Brubaker's Cyclops. Imagine what Uncanny would've been like if Fraction's militaristic Cyclops had been met half-way with the fun Cyclops of Divided We Stand.

The idea that they originally intended for Fraction and Brubaker to alternate arcs explains why Sisterhood was so terrible. That was supposed to be Ed Brubaker's arc, but Matt Fraction must've just made things up as he went along.

God, now I'm reminded of how much I liked Brubaker's Cyclops. Imagine what Uncanny would've been like if Fraction's militaristic Cyclops had been met half-way with the fun Cyclops of Divided We Stand.
I doubt that.Sisterhood ended a month before Fraction went to do double duty, writing Dark Avengers as well as UXM and the associated oneshots for a few months due to the Utopia arc. I think Sisterhood was an unfortunate victim of timing as that last issue was rushed and it felt that way

It's not just the rushed feeling in the last issue. The Red Queen's motivations in that arc felt a little inconsistent with what we saw her doing in the SFX arc. The Hellfire Cult had absolutely nothing to do with trying to get her body back.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fraction was supposed to take a break after Lovelorn, but had to wrap up Brubaker's Sisterhood arc when he left (remember, Madelyne showed up and recruited her first member before Fraction even joined the title).

Wow, that certainly isn't one of Pacheco's better covers, is it?

And here's to hoping Gillen writes something better in Uncanny than he is in Generation Hope.

so issue 534.1 is the only issue coming out that month, correct?

well i meant is there a #534 as well as the .1 or is it just the one?

Ah, gotcha. 534 will be out in March, the final issue of the Quarantine arc and Fraction's final issue.

Now if only Fraction can get off Iron Man too. I feel he's growing stale there too.

It's not just the rushed feeling in the last issue. The Red Queen's motivations in that arc felt a little inconsistent with what we saw her doing in the SFX arc. The Hellfire Cult had absolutely nothing to do with trying to get her body back.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fraction was supposed to take a break after Lovelorn, but had to wrap up Brubaker's Sisterhood arc when he left (remember, Madelyne showed up and recruited her first member before Fraction even joined the title).
Good point, I forgot that this plot started before Fraction was on board, before they even officially moved to SF

prv7582_cov.jpg

prv7582_pg1.jpg

prv7582_pg2.jpg

prv7582_pg3.jpg

prv7582_pg4.jpg

prv7582_pg5.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #532

STORY BY Matt Fraction, Kieron Gillen
ART BY Greg Land, Jay Leisten
COLORS BY Justin Ponsor
LETTERS BY VC - Joe Caramagna
COVER BY Greg Land, Justin Ponsor
PUBLISHER: Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE: Wed, January 26th, 2011

“QUARANTINE”
When your very body is betraying you, and you see life leaking out of your friends drop by drop, what would you give up for the cure? Cyclops discovers what the Sublime Corporation wants. Can he afford to pay it? Meanwhile, Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw reminisce over old times VIA THE STRONG LANGUAGE OF PUGILISM. Part 3 (of 5)

I'm actually not hating Land's art in the panel that gives the Emma rundown the copying doesn't look that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"