Comics Question About Current "X-Men" titles

Anthony05

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting back into reading the X-men comics but I was curious what current titles are worth reading? Should I just stick to "Uncanny X-Men"? I get really confused by all the new things out there. Any suggestions?

Start with Astonishing. I'm really digging it and it's a great start point that's not too many issues in yet.

Astonishing X-men.

or Ultimate X-men if you prefer good stories without tons of continuity baggage.

Uncanny is getting a new creative team soon and it definitely looks good. Right now I suggest Astonishing X-Men. It's fairly self-contained, although there are lingering effects from Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It was my reintroduction to the X-Men. Before it, I hadn't read an X-Men comic since Apocalypse: The Twelve. The new X-Factor is also quite good and unconventional and I don't think you need a whole lot of backstory to understand and enjoy it.

It's hard to say what to recommend as two of the three core books (why, oh why, oh WHY are there three core books?!) are changing creative teams and character rosters in short order.

On the preview of Adjectiveless Xmen(that means the book thats just "X Men" with no word in front of it) says its a great place for beginners or new readers. You can check that out.

Start with Astonishing for now, but I'd recommend waiting until July, as the other two main X books, Uncanny and the adjectiveless one, will be getting new creative teams then. And as a lead up to the new Uncanny run, I'd pick up the Deadly Genesis limited series that's out right now.

If you like to spend lots and lots of money, go back and read vol. 1-2 of Astonishing, then "House of M" 1-8, and a couple of the follow-up X-books in the "Decimation" line, along w/the normal X-title & Astonishing... I'm reading "X-Men: The 198" (only 5 issues long!), and "Son of M" (also 5 issues)... But I agree, "Deadly Genesis" is a limited series and it's the best thing selling right now. That'll catch you up more than you can handle i'm sure....Good luck!

I'm really thrown off by the "so and so has been depowered" and "so and so is now dead". Do the books at least flow with one and other? And characters have one storyline? Not like, so and so does this in Astonishing and this in Uncanny? I'll go up to the local comic book store tomorrow and pick up some things and see what strikes my interest I suppose.

No, they pretty much flow well together! If your uber-interested I'd go in the order I suggested and you won't miss anything big in the last year/year and a half... And I hope you don't mind Wolverine being in EVERY single issue of every comic! J/K, but it seems like it sometimes:)

I'd skip New X-Men or Academy X unless you enjoy the newer characters more. I myself enjoy the classic x-men and top ten writers. (For X-Men anyway) And you don't really have to worry about any of those X-Men sidestories that run with "house of m", they aren't as important in the grand scheme of things!

Academy X is one of my favorite books, but it is not for everyone.

I'd skip House of M, you can read a summary of the story in 2 minutes and skip 8 issues of pointless BS saving 24 dollars.

New X-Men always looked really screwed up to me. I doubt I'll even bother looking into that. But Academy X looks kind of interesting. I enjoyed Generation X back in the day. I might like Academy.

FieryBalrog said:
I'd skip House of M, you can read a summary of the story in 2 minutes and skip 8 issues of pointless BS saving 24 dollars.

haha. Good to know. I read into some of it and it left me thinking "whyyyyy?!". I understand you need to keep things fresh, but some of the things they did just seemed really screwed up.

KingOfDreams said:
New X-Men is the same thing as Academy X.

Weird. Well Academy X still looks more appealing than the issues of New X-Men that had the feline looking Beast and other weird artwork.

Anthony05 said:
Weird. Well Academy X still looks more appealing than the issues of New X-Men that had the feline looking Beast and other weird artwork.
You are right. The New Xmen you are reffering to is this
beast54.jpg

Its a good story but the art is Rancid. The New X Men that King of Dreams is reffering to is a take of New Mutants( its called New Xmen: Academy X). Its like Gen X being that they are teeenagers, so if you liked that you'd like it.

Anthony05 said:

Well, Beast's feline looking...in all the titles now so...yikes for you:(

Bah. Quitely is a freakin' great artist. I admit at first he threw me off but I really love all the issues he did for Morrison, they work well together. The man has style and draws action scenes like nobody's business. And he also draws The Best Cat-Beast, for proof check out the opening pages of that issue where Cyclops and Beast and Xorn run down the flaming wax-mutant (Riot at Xavier's).

Now Igor Kordrey, I'd agree with you. His art sucked and brought down Imperial from an amazing arc (story wise) to a decent arc.

FieryBalrog said:
And he also draws The Best Cat-Beast

I disagree. I think Cassaday draws the best Cat-Beast. I didn't really like Quitely on New X-Men but I'm really digging his All-Star Superman work.

Now I generally favor DC's continuity and creative fopas but i enjoyed 'house of m'. the trade is probably dirt cheap on amazon. plus, a ton of stuff flows out of it, it sets up everything going on in decimation, and if you just "hear" about what happens in 'house' then you lose the dramatic build up that characters face in minis like 'son of m', which is fantastic.

...it's not the best story ever, but i'd give it 3 stars (out of 5)

Ah, I had the opposite reaction. I dont like Cassaday's Cat-Beast at all because to me he looks like a house cat. Quitely's looks regal.

This is the sequence I was talking about:

Im also getting back into reading comics, but I looooooveeeee STORM so i need comics with her in it.

Has has powers advanced in anyway & what issues is she in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"