Okay seriously...what the hell happened to you 'Cartoon Network' ?

CFE

The never-ending battle
Reaction score
I remember being a kid excited to get home from school so I could catch some whimsical 'toons on the CN like "Looney Tunes," "Scooby Doo," "Tom & Jerry" and the other assortment of Hanna Barbara classics or Tex Avery/Chuck Jones masterpieces.

I remember growing up and getting into "Cartoon, Cartoons" and falling hard for the wit of shows like "Dexter's Laboratory," "The Powerpuff Girls," "Johnny Bravo" and "Cow & Chicken" while discovering gems like "Samurai Jack" and seeing the premieres of "Justice League" and "JLU."

I remember growing up even more and prefering to get my adrenaline pumping with a good daily dose of "Toonami" and watch soes "Dragonball Z," "Gundam Wing," "Outlaw Star" and reruns of both "Batman TAS" and "Superman TAS."

And now...three words...three words that have completely ruined "Cartoon Network."

LIVE ACTION PROGRAMMING...

Seriously, what the hell. Why in god's name would I watch 'CARTOON Network' with the desire to watch something other than Cartoons? Don't even try to pull the 'Live Action with some animation' gag either, it won't work.

I mean seriously, I turned it on the other day thinking "Maybe they're showing some Bugs Bunny; I don't have anything else to do." and instead I was greeted by the first "Spider-Man" movie.

I'm not putting down "Spider-Man" but to be honest it has no business being shown on the 'CARTOON Network.'

So basically 'Cartoon Network' is now to Cartoons what 'MTV' is to Music...

Ridiculous.

I just wanted to vent and see what everyone else's take was...I'm positive I'm not the first person to find this dynamic incredibly odd and ultimately absurd.

----

I wholeheartedly agree. You and I must be similar in age because you describe what I basically did an few years back(i'm 25 for the record).

Why is Spider-man on cartoon network? I love that movie but why THERE? It makes little sense. It's really not what it's supposed to be.

But on the other hand, you can look at it from this angle. It's not really aimed at any of us older young folk, it's aimed at small children for the most part and guess what ? They either don't care or love all of this stuff that doesn't quite fit right or is outright garbage. We're just getting older man. I was in an bookstore the other day an kid around 7 or 8 ask his dad ,"Daddy what's an G.I. Joe?". My eyes widened. It's just an different time.

Its going down hill like tv land. I can't stand any of the cartoon i used to watch he-man 2002 cartoon,ninjatutles 2002 cartoon. static shock. show batmanAnimated series. i don't watch adlue swim. most of the cartoon are stupd. I want to see topcat,the jetsons, swat kats,ninja turtles,supermario brothrs super show and the real ghostbuter. i would also like to see heathcliff, tiny toons or garfield. i used to like johnny brove. i even watched power puff girls. i also liked dexters Laboratory, . i can't stand the new cartoons. sOMETIME THEY SHOW Goosebumps. i always watch it.

I take it no one remembers the few weeks of Saved By The Bell.

Batman 89 was on Cartoon Network awhile ago, I had that "Wtf is this doing on here?" feeling.

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
Chowder
Flapjack
Naruto

CN still has some good **** going for them.

Isn't Foster's ending shortly though? I still need to buy that stuff on DVD.

So basically 'Cartoon Network' is now to Cartoons what 'MTV' is to Music...

Ridiculous.

I just wanted to vent and see what everyone else's take was...I'm positive I'm not the first person to find this dynamic incredibly odd and ultimately absurd.

----

I still cry for what has happened to "American Movie Classics."

To those wanting to relive great cartoon classics? Just watch Boomerang. They show everything from Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Looney Tunes, Thundarr, and so forth. It's always on that channel whenever I have trouble sleeping.

I thought it was stupid when MTV started MTV2 as a place to play music, and then MTV2 just became a dumping ground for MTV reruns.

To those wanting to relive great cartoon classics? Just watch Boomerang. They show everything from Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Looney Tunes, Thundarr, and so forth. It's always on that channel whenever I have trouble sleeping.

Nice to know I'm not the only one ;) I seriously feel sorry for kids these days. I'm thankful to have grown up in the Golden age of cartoons.

I miss Two Stupid Dogs and Secret Squirrel.:(

i miss the classic super-hero shows like the ORIGINAL birdman,space ghost,[the herculoids 60's and eighties version] frankenstein jr and the impossibles the super-friends moby dick and mighty mightor,shazzan the original ff series why ARN'T they evenshown on BOMMERANG ON DEMAND or are on dvd

Toon Disney is just as bad. I mean, how is Power Rangers a cartoon????

Maybe you folks are taking the name of the network too literally. I mean, it's clear that they're turning this into more of a "Nostalgic Saturday morning tv" network. Which includes, live action stuff.

Maybe you folks are taking the name of the network too literally. I mean, it's clear that they're turning this into more of a "Nostalgic Saturday morning tv" network. Which includes, live action stuff.
If I heard of a channel called "Cartoon Network" I would expect it to have, you know, actual cartoons.

Again, that's taking the name of a network too literally.

"If I heard of a network called Fox, I expect to see some foxes."

Stop being ridiculous, they still play plenty of cartoons. Just because they showed Spider-Man once does not negate the fact that they play cartoons 95% of the time.

That example doesn't work. That's a competely different situation. We're not being ridiculous. We're just speaking the truth. If CN wants to show live action, then that's fine. But they should change their name because it is misleading.

No it's not, the entire foundation of the network is cartoons. They play cartoons more than half of the time. They play a live action movie every once and a while, because it's based on a property that is somewhat tied to cartoons. Jesus, it's nowhere near MTV levels. Just look at their line-up any regular night, 99.9% of the time, it's pure cartoons. You guys are being ridiculous.

Again, that's taking the name of a network too literally.

"If I heard of a network called Fox, I expect to see some foxes."

Stop being ridiculous, they still play plenty of cartoons. Just because they showed Spider-Man once does not negate the fact that they play cartoons 95% of the time.
If I put on the Food Network an there showing me why Hitler hated jews Id be a little confused. If I put on the Golf Channel an there showing me how to make lay ups then Im gonna wonder what the hells going on. Nobody every promoted the Fox network to be about foxs, but MTV, History, Golf, Food network and all those other networks are supposed to be based around that specific thing and anything promoted for programming that isnt about that shouldnt me on that network. All I can say to those networks like MTV and Cartoon Network is as Ra's Al Ghul said in Batman Begins "Whatever your orginal intentions, you have become truly lost"

I think you're overreacting to us overreacting.

If I put on the Food Network an there showing me why Hitler hated jews Id be a little confused. If I put on the Golf Channel an there showing me how to make lay ups then Im gonna wonder what the hells going on. Nobody every promoted the Fox network to be about foxs, but MTV, History, Golf, Food network and all those other networks are supposed to be based around that specific thing and anything promoted for programming that isnt about that shouldnt me on that network. All I can say to those networks like MTV and Cartoon Network is as Ra's Al Ghul said in Batman Begins "Whatever your orginal intentions, you have become truly lost"

Why? Because they played Spider-Man once, and play maybe an hour of Goosebumps? You guys are really blowing this out of proportion here. There is no possible way you can realistically and factually compare MTV with Cartoon Network.

I think you're overreacting to us overreacting.

At least you admit you're overreacting.

While I prefer they play cartoons 100% of the time, the MTV comparison is really out there.

Why? Because they played Spider-Man once, and play maybe an hour of Goosebumps? You guys are really blowing this out of proportion here. There is no possible way you can realistically and factually compare MTV with Cartoon Network.
There's no way you can compare Fox to Cartoon Network either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"