Old Birds of Prey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's normally the origin or explanation for the "Black" in Black Canary's name? I like the spin they're taking on it, personally. Jurnee's also ideal for it. She played maternal, fierce, kind, leader on Underground to perfection while Winstead had a mobster vibe, for lack of a better phrase, on Fargo. I think they got this right, and I trust Robbie's instincts.

I'm only now realizing (through the magic of reading prior posts) that I seriously wanted Gugu as Dinah. I am now bereft.

I am also just realizing that I had this movie pegged wrong from the start. My initial read on 'Harley Quinn girl gang movie' was the Sirens and expected something completely separate for Birds of Prey' (likely Babs/Dinah/Helena). Welcome to Hodgepodge City. Silly me,

Warner executive: We need a success like Black Panther, use his woman equivalent, Black Canary.
Random guy: But, she's blonde.
Warner executive: Who cares.

mznqy6lg1no11.jpg

Warner executive: We need a success like Black Panther, use his woman equivalent, Black Canary.
Random guy: But, she's blonde.
Warner executive: Who cares.

Nope.

Margot spoke from the very beginning of wanting a diverse cast. Ya'll may not like this casting, but it was always part of the plan. Nothing to do with Black Panther either.

I'm cool with the castings but it is interesting that they made BC into a WOC while making Huntress white again even though the character has been a WOC since 2014.

Now I just hope they at least let BC keep the blonde wig if the actress can pull it off.

What's normally the origin or explanation for the "Black" in Black Canary's name? I like the spin they're taking on it, personally. Jurnee's also ideal for it. She played maternal, fierce, kind, leader on Underground to perfection while Winstead had a mobster vibe, for lack of a better phrase, on Fargo. I think they got this right, and I trust Robbie's instincts.
That's great to hear. I guess I would have loved this casting right away if I hadn't read about the other actresses who were up for the part. I'm sure they'll grow on me. Jurnee was great on Friday Night Lights.

Really hate both of these castings.

I mean the casting agents would know better than I would, but does MEW have the edge for a character like Huntress?

MEW=YES!! Thank you! I don't know much about Ms. Smollet-Bell, but I'm certainly going to give her a shot. Part of me thinks that they should be reversed, with Winstead playing Black Canary, and Smollett-Bell playing Huntress, but that's a minor detail imo.

I only know smollett-bell from Underground which was a good show
I think she'll be a good Black Canary
Big casting for her she must have really impressed people

They'll probably go for something like this for Black Canary:
goldenblonde-afro-ownbyfemme.jpg

Another option is just her having black hair and wair a blonde wig like the actual character has done in the past.

I'm cool with the castings but it is interesting that they made BC into a WOC while making Huntress white again even though the character has been a WOC since 2014.

Now I just hope they at least let BC keep the blonde wig if the actress can pull it off.
I would like if they kept the blonde hair too.

I think Huntress in 2014 through the rebirth is a dark skinned Italian woman.

Smollett-Bell wouldn't be my choice even aside from the race change, so bleh. Huntress is my primary interest in this now.

MEW as Huntress and Ewan as Black Mask?

:ebr:

Ewan would be great. He's a fantastic actor. Also he and Winstead worked together on Fargo Season 3 (and were hooking up IRL as well apparently).

I think Huntress in 2014 through the rebirth is a dark skinned Italian woman.

Yes Helena Bertinelli has been portrayed as a darker-skinned Sicilian in both the New 52 and Rebirth comics, that is correct.

I am very happy about MEW. I am always happy when she is cast in anything, and she should have been in one of these types of films a long time ago. So yeah, very happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back