OLD Green Lantern HBO Max Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EIFPdGNWwAEdDO1

You have zero idea as to what he pitched. His pitch could've easily been garbage.
I have more faith in him than whatever Berlanti's gonna do, and you said no-one on Lindelof's caliber cared about GL but clearly McQ did. Also after Watchmen, I really thought they'd do more prestige TV but instead they're just doubling down on Berlanti schlock

Why Berlanti?

Berlanti-involved DC shows since Arrow launched:
Arrow (8 seasons)
The Flash (6 seasons and counting)
Supergirl (5 seasons and counting)
Legends of Tomorrow (5 seasons and counting)
Black Lightning (3 seasons and counting)
Batwoman (1 season and counting)
Titans (2 seasons and counting)
Doom Patrol (2 seasons and counting)

Future:
Superman and Lois
Green Arrow and the Canaries
Green Lantern
Strange Adventures
Stargirl

Non Berlanti-involved:
Constantine (cancelled after 13 episodes)
Swamp Thing (cancelled before the second episode aired)
Powerless (pulled from air before all episodes even made it on TV)
Krypton (cancelled after 20 episodes)
Gotham (5 seasons)

EDIT: forgot Pennyworth

Besides the Vertigo shows and Gotham, everything they've tried without Berlanti was a MASSIVE failure.

Berlanti keeps his shows on the air.
You forgot Watchmen, the best DC show, and the one that's the most far removed from Berlanti's influence

Berlanti produced Doom Patrol, which is far better than Watchmen (yet) and Leftovers (imo).
How do you know it's the best show if just 2 episodes aired? Because the critics said so? Just because it has a higher RT score doesn't mean it's better. Critics aren't gods that know it all. Many of them are biased or just driven by agendas. Just look at the reviews from Joker and Jojo Rabbit.

I'm not Berlanti biggest fan, but dude gave me Doom Patrol, so i'm definitely giving him a chance.

Okay first of all, this is awesome. Curious what GL(s) it will center around? Loved all of Geoff John's Green Lantern. Made me a huge fan of the character.

Also, why isn't this on the DC app? Or will it be eventually? Or is a merge going to take place soon? Really confused why we have this app with shows going to other streaming services.

"Biggest DC show ever" sounds promising

Up till now Doom Patrol has been their most expensive at 11m per episode iirc

Okay first of all, this is awesome. Curious what GL(s) it will center around?

The leak that first revealed the project (and the CW Superman show) said it'll be about Kyle Rayner.

Also, why isn't this on the DC app? Or will it be eventually? Or is a merge going to take place soon? Really confused why we have this app with shows going to other streaming services.

I get the sense that the DC app will either be absorbed into HBO Max or cancelled at some point.

Why Berlanti?

Berlanti-involved DC shows since Arrow launched:
Arrow (8 seasons)
The Flash (6 seasons and counting)
Supergirl (5 seasons and counting)
Legends of Tomorrow (5 seasons and counting)
Black Lightning (3 seasons and counting)
Batwoman (1 season and counting)
Titans (2 seasons and counting)
Doom Patrol (2 seasons and counting)

Future:
Superman and Lois
Green Arrow and the Canaries
Green Lantern
Strange Adventures
Stargirl

Non Berlanti-involved:
Constantine (cancelled after 13 episodes)
Swamp Thing (cancelled before the second episode aired)
Powerless (pulled from air before all episodes even made it on TV)
Krypton (cancelled after 20 episodes)
Gotham (5 seasons)

EDIT: forgot Pennyworth

Besides the Vertigo shows and Gotham, everything they've tried without Berlanti was a MASSIVE failure.

Berlanti keeps his shows on the air.

Swamp Thing was cancelled due to budget. The rest didnt have TheCWs safe haven to call home that is partially owned by WB.

Lets not forget that Supergirl would've been cancelled had it not been for TheCW.

Swamp Thing was cancelled due to budget. The rest didnt have TheCWs safe haven to call home that is partially owned by WB.

Lets not forget that Supergirl would've been cancelled had it not been for TheCW.
The reason The CW saved Supergirl in the first place is because of Berlanti. Black Lightning was passed on by Fox and saved by Berlanti's clout.

And keeping a show on budget is part of the job. I understand what happened regarding the tax incentives for Swamp Thing, but it's the job of the EP to keep the show running and that snafu is not the sort of thing that happens to megaproducers like Berlanti or Dick Wolf.

The reason the other Berlanti shows keep ending up on DCU/HBO/CW is because WB sees enough value in them not to let other companies take a shot at airing them in the first place. If Warner Bros thought Constantine or Krypton had a chance to succeed like Black Lightning and Supergirl have, they would have rescued those shows too.

Bottow line is every DC show Berlanti's name has been attached to is still on the air, one way or the other. Arrow is ending on its own terms, after 8 seasons and several highly successful spinoffs.

"Biggest DC show ever" sounds promising

Up till now Doom Patrol has been their most expensive at 11m per episode iirc
If Doom Patrol cost 11m that's crazy, that's more than most seasons of GoT cost per episode wtf. It probably cost the same as Titans, and both of those shows are still cheaper to produce than Swamp Thing & Watchmen

Green Lantern is one of those things you can't skimp on vfx wise which is why I was wary about this not being a movie. I don't want it to be like every other episode is set on Earth with just human drama and no action.

Sounds like it could be like a live-action "GL: Emerald Knights."

EDIT: I misread... the anthology stuff was about "Strange Adventures."

Just heard about this! So glad they've gone with it and I really hope it lives up to all that potential.

I know some may be tired of batsy but my god i would love them to adapt something like The Dark Knight Returns or Arkham Asylum here. Or make a show about Batman villains living in Gotham or something like that.

That, or go full insane and adapt Kingdom Come as a miniseries.

Or idk, do something good and special and not something like Batwoman or that shirt.

Last edited:
Green Lantern gets HBO but Superman is stuck on The CW

Was it? Last I read AT&T politics killed it. Something about them not liking the direction of the show

I definitely would’ve preferred a different network for supes but I think he can work just fine on the CW

Since the show is about Clark & Lois raising a baby. How many times is Clark gonna reference Kara & saying something like "Kara could do this much better shes stronger" & any variation of this

Excited for this. I’m iffy on Berlanti but I think that with HBO being involved, this will be of higher quality than the CW shows (and for a property like GL, it needs to be). I hope they really play up the team aspect and it centers on all of the big four (Hal, John, Kyle and Guy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"