OLD Green Lantern HBO Max Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited for this. I’m iffy on Berlanti but I think that with HBO being involved, this will be of higher quality than the CW shows (and for a property like GL, it needs to be). I hope they really play up the team aspect and it centers on all of the big four (Hal, John, Kyle and Guy).

Do we know the time frame of the GL show ? Because should we skip out on rookie Hal ? Bringing in the other 3 means hes well into his GL career

Do we know the time frame of the GL show ? Because should we skip out on rookie Hal ? Bringing in the other 3 means hes well into his GL career

No, very little seems to be known right now but I’d be fine with starting out with Hal and John as veteran GLs and Kyle as the young recruit (or something along those lines. It would be a bit different from the comic but I think it could work. Not sure you need to do Parallax at all, really.

The reason The CW saved Supergirl in the first place is because of Berlanti. Black Lightning was passed on by Fox and saved by Berlanti's clout.

And keeping a show on budget is part of the job. I understand what happened regarding the tax incentives for Swamp Thing, but it's the job of the EP to keep the show running and that snafu is not the sort of thing that happens to megaproducers like Berlanti or Dick Wolf.

The reason the other Berlanti shows keep ending up on DCU/HBO/CW is because WB sees enough value in them not to let other companies take a shot at airing them in the first place. If Warner Bros thought Constantine or Krypton had a chance to succeed like Black Lightning and Supergirl have, they would have rescued those shows too.

Bottow line is every DC show Berlanti's name has been attached to is still on the air, one way or the other. Arrow is ending on its own terms, after 8 seasons and several highly successful spinoffs.

Supergirl and Black Lightning were already Berlanti productions when they entered CBS and FOX. So it is very apparent that he is as successful as he is because TheCW has much different standards then the Big 4. Supergirl was easily rescued because CBS already partially owns TheCW and fit with TheCW mold. It isn't that great of a thing to have a ending on TheCW when 90% of their shows end on their own accord.

Cool, glad to see something involving Green Lantern being done. It being Berlanti doesn't bother me, his shows cater to the audience of the service hence why the CW stuff is the way it is. His show You that's currently on Netflix is freaking amazing. Some of my favorite television.

Excited for this. I’m iffy on Berlanti but I think that with HBO being involved, this will be of higher quality than the CW shows (and for a property like GL, it needs to be). I hope they really play up the team aspect and it centers on all of the big four (Hal, John, Kyle and Guy).
I wonder if they will include Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. The Star Sapphires would be good to see.They might focus on the diversity of all the different Lantern Corps, the different tribes and planets etc.

I would have been more excited if JJ Abrams was producing this GL series than Greg Berlanti. Also, what happened to that GL Corps movie ?

With these two shows coming to HBOMax.....does this spell the beginning of the end for DCU? They are taking valuable content right from DCUniverse. Unless it's available on both, might as well just fold DCUniverse into HBOMax.

I would have been more excited if JJ Abrams was producing this GL series than Greg Berlanti. Also, what happened to that GL Corps movie ?

I hope it still happens. But maybe it will be further down the line, along with the Superman movie. I hope they're not pushed back too much because of this. They can exist concurrently with the TV shows.

Supergirl and Black Lightning were already Berlanti productions when they entered CBS and FOX. So it is very apparent that he is as successful as he is because TheCW has much different standards then the Big 4. Supergirl was easily rescued because CBS already partially owns TheCW and fit with TheCW mold. It isn't that great of a thing to have a ending on TheCW when 90% of their shows end on their own accord.

Even if you forgot about all the DC Comics TV shows Berlanti produces, he still produces a dozen other shows on half a dozen other networks.

He's literally the most bankable producer in the TV industry right now. He produces 4 hits for every miss.

And no, CBS partially owning the CW had ZERO to do with Supergirl getting saved. WB always owned the show, and once CBS cancelled it (which they did), WB decided to save it with their programming slots on the CW which CBS has zero control over.

With these two shows coming to HBOMax.....does this spell the beginning of the end for DCU? They are taking valuable content right from DCUniverse. Unless it's available on both, might as well just fold DCUniverse into HBOMax.
All DC Universe shows will be available on HBO Max. DC Universe will continue as a service for people who only watch to watch the DC shows as well as for the non-TV related aspects of the service.

It's kind of like how CW will still be a thing, but going forward all of the CW shows from the Warner half will make their way to HBO Max (except the ones that have prexisting deals with other outlets like Netflix).

DC Universe is cheaper than HBO Max, why would anyone who's not interested in other HBO shows subscribe to it ? Which is why it makes sense for DC Universe to continue, I just hope that they (DC Universe) get more budget for their shows as their shows will also be featured on HBO Max and if they look cheap, it will also hurt HBO Max.

Great news but do you reckon every episode is going to feature green lantern getting stranded on a planet that looks exactly like LA every episode to save on the budget lol

I feel that a property like GL should be given a movie, it should be seen on big screen, it is more suited for theatres rather than small TV screens.

It's like putting Star Wars on TV only, instead of making movies.

Its...interesting, havent heard anything about this Green Lantern Corps movie project being dropped so far...so i really dont know what to make of this.

We will see how this all turns out.
But i cant deny that im a bit worried about the movies, would be nice if we would get someone who oversees the "movie universe" telling us what has been dropped, what is planned and all.

I know that you can have incredible success without needing to have Movie universes, but still...its something special to have those big budget movies.

I feel that a property like GL should be given a movie, it should be seen on big screen, it is more suited for theatres rather than small TV screens.

And like Star Wars, couldn't it be on both? With all these streaming services it looks like they are asking for more and more content and we are getting a lot of content. That doesn't mean that the theatrical movies are killed off. If these shows are successful, they could hype up audiences for a big screen movie.

We don't know what this GL series is about, but what if it is about Kyle Rayner, as rumoured? That's only a part of the GL story. The way The Mandalorian is only part of the SW story. To tell a bigger epic GL story would need a theatrical movie. What if the TV series is quite different from a theatrical version? We could also see that with with Flash, Supergirl, Superman etc. If anything, it looks like we will be getting more stuff, not less.

tumblr_pwqyxkiMV11x0bvwko6_500.gifv

We were never going to get another GL movie. It would’ve honestly been bad business. TV is a much better option

I’ve noticed a recent trend where a beloved IP is adapted poorly into a big budget film and it flops horribly, years later it gets rebooted as a high end television series, and the fans are typically satisfied.

I want this to be a Star Trek type of series. GL TAS provided a nice format for a live action series. A big part of that show was set on board their spacecraft, which they traversed the galaxy with.

Considering how long we’ve been waiting for a big screen adaption of these green characters, I’m pleased they’re coming to the small screen.

The DCEU is a bit mucky right about now, there was no Lantern in Justice League when there should’ve been, and I’m not sure which of the upcoming films are within the DCEU or absent from it.

Lanterns on the small screen is a happy medium to me, though I’m unsure whether I’d want this show connected to the Arrowverse or not.

Considering how long we’ve been waiting for a big screen adaption of these green characters, I’m pleased they’re coming to the small screen.

The DCEU is a bit mucky right about now, there was no Lantern in Justice League when there should’ve been, and I’m not sure which of the upcoming films are within the DCEU or absent from it.

Lanterns on the small screen is a happy medium to me, though I’m unsure whether I’d want this show connected to the Arrowverse or not.

I just dont like the idea of skipping origins of some of these characters

I just dont like the idea of skipping origins of some of these characters
Depends on the character; I feel like they can introduce a veteran Hal Jordan and origin some of the others. There’s always flashbacks too; one thing that a lot of the CW shows at least seem to have an abundance of.

Depends on the character; I feel like they can introduce a veteran Hal Jordan and origin some of the others. There’s always flashbacks too; one thing that a lot of the CW shows at least seem to have an abundance of.

Kind of hard to care about a character just through flashbacks. Unless we are just supposed to care cause its Hal Jordan ?

I wonder if they will include Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. The Star Sapphires would be good to see.They might focus on the diversity of all the different Lantern Corps, the different tribes and planets etc.

Yeah, hopefully they'll factor in as well, as one of GL's biggest strengths is its diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"