OLD Green Lantern HBO Max Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With these two shows coming to HBOMax.....does this spell the beginning of the end for DCU? They are taking valuable content right from DCUniverse. Unless it's available on both, might as well just fold DCUniverse into HBOMax.

It makes the most sense to do that especially since all the DC movies will now be available on HBO Max. Might as well house all things DC under one roof

That's about on par with s full length movie so I'd be fine with that.

Man, I do hope they put this on DC Universe or my several Channels of HBO and I don't have to pay MORE for GL!

that hasn't been confirmed. Also one thing I don't see being discussed. its mentioned its green lantern inspired so maybe its not a strict adaptation. Maybe they will do their own take on it. while movies will be a bit more straightforward

that hasn't been confirmed. Also one thing I don't see being discussed. its mentioned its green lantern inspired so maybe its not a strict adaptation. Maybe they will do their own take on it. while movies will be a bit more straightforward
We’re not getting a GL movie.

It's probably going to be a series of cosmic adventures featuring the Corps and relevant cosmic characters.

Strange Adventures is likely a series of earthbound adventures featuring other heroes (Kingdom Come lite).

I see no reason why this couldn't become a film franchise if there's enough interest.

Strange adventures seems like a Twilight zone/ Blackmirror superhero thing. I defo wanted an anthology series of dc stuff and now we have two(counting bizzaro tv I think).

I dunno I think Green lantern will be something unexpected.

Bigger budget. But if they can nail the budget which I kinda doubt(for entire seasons while doing movie tier action and cgi is tough) it would be great.
Honestly I want them to use CGI only where it’s necessary.
The movie is a good example of excessive CGI :funny:

Give me practical Tomar-Re goddamnit

I saw an article where Doom Patrol Season 2 will be on HBO Max as well as DC Universe App. Maybe the HBO Max stuff will end up on the DC app as well.

A movie would be a much better choice.
As a fan of the comics, I disagree. There are way too many great characters and storylines to cover. A series is a way smarter option.

Honestly I want them to use CGI only where it’s necessary.
The movie is a good example of excessive CGI :funny:

Give me practical Tomar-Re goddamnit

I dunno how you do a proper GL series without a sizable budget and an abundance of CGI. Even if they decided to go the practical route, they’d need a lot of money to make sure they don’t look like something you’d find at Party City.

It’s HBO Max, not HBO. It’s run by different people, they said so in the presentation

Which has HBO in the name. Whether it's run by the same people or not, do you really think HBO and its parent companies aren't going to have some standards about major products that carry the name HBO?

I dunno how you do a proper GL series without a sizable budget and an abundance of CGI. Even if they decided to go the practical route, they’d need a lot of money to make sure they don’t look like something you’d find at Party City.

I honestly think we will be lucky if they can even match the movie in terms of CGI.

I wonder who will play the new carol ferris? It will be fun to see her done well

I honestly think we will be lucky if they can even match the movie in terms of CGI.
That would be damn good for TV, imo. I'd be absolutely fine with that level of VFX. The storytelling, on the other hand...

I wonder who will play the new carol ferris? It will be fun to see her done well
Rumor has it it's centered around Kyle Rayner so she might not be featured (for a while, at least).

Wow, I’m a bit late to the party. I didn’t know there was even a thread for this. To those wary of this show because of Berlanti, I need to remind you he isn’t all to blame to whatever issues the CW shows have since the way that network works is that they are responsible for the cheesy soapy & formulaic quality you see in them, not to mention the CW doesn’t exactly have the highest standard of the quality like an network like HBO would have. Now I’m aware this is HBO Max and isn’t actually HBO but I’d be hard-pressed to believe that compete with Disney Plus and Netflix with poorer quality shows. If they’re calling this the “biggest DC show ever” then that’s an strong indicator to me that they’re not going to pull any punches on this project, and they will deliver the goods. Especially when Disney will be launching the MCU Disney Plus shows with the big budgets; DC/Warners needs something that can compete with that so a quality big budget Green Lantern show could be the answer they’re looking for. Provided they do it right.

If HBO Max gives him a bigger budget & has a stronger quality control they will allow Berlanti to get a stronger creative team to do this series than he would have if he was doing this show on CW. Obviously all this doesn’t guarantee that the show won’t still suck but I think it’s less likely under this platform than if it were another CW show.

“But he wrote the Green Lantern movie!”

First of all, he was one out of mutiple writers on that project, and his original GL screenplay had little in common with the final film & was heavily re-written into what was seen in theaters. There was a lot of cooks in the kitchen, and Berlanti had little say or control on that movie. He will have much more say & control on this project since he’s a producer on this. Berlanti produced Doom Patrol & Titans and the former is what most agreed was good-to-excellent while the latter is generally seen as good with many agreeing it has improved in its second season. Plus, Berlanti isn’t going to be a showrunner on this, nor will he be writing it. Zack Snyder produced WW, but he didn’t write the script, nor direct the thing. He produced it and the movie still ended being a quality product.

Now if Berlanti/HBO Max ends up picking Scott Buck as the showrunner and we hear reports about them trimming down the budget then we can start to worry.

Last edited:
That would be damn good for TV, imo. I'd be absolutely fine with that level of VFX. The storytelling, on the other hand...

Rumor has it it's centered around Kyle Rayner so she might not be featured (for a while, at least).

oh that would be cute! You could even have Hal and John in a green lantern movie and Kyle in a series! Then they can meet up! I love that idea.

but most important question, who could play him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"