One thing they need to get right......

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
.......is, and for me this is an essential part of the character, the epicness of the character. Superman has an epicness about him that very few other characters can replicate, only 3 spring to mind for me (Hulk, Silver Surfer, Optimus Prime).

It as essential as the Kents to Superman for me and its something that always comes through in the best Superman stories, this epicness is the thing that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you are reading about/watching the character and they need to get this right.

Even in Superman Returns, in parts, they got the epicness of the character, the plane scene, the re-charge above the clouds and the lifting of New Krypton spring to mind as the scene's that show the epicness of the character, we need these type of scene's in the new Superman movie as stuff like this is what makes the character different to the likes of Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, et al.

Anyone else agree?

I agree.

Also, Superman, by his very nature, is the one (solo) hero best equipped to deal with epic threats. Villains that threaten not just a single city ( ala Batman or Spiderman ) but the entire planet. Of course, I'm talking about the big guns like Darseid, Imperiax, Braniac......even Zod.

With the reports that they might be going with Braniac in the next film, hopefully that's the direction they're leaning towards....

i agree their should be a good epicness to him and what he does.

Bah. Epic is not enough, IMO. They just need to understand who the character is in his core.

I`d give a copy of Superman for all seasons first and foremost.

- The flying has to look spectacular. To me Superman movies should always stand head and shoulders above every other super hero movie in every aspect. One of those is the flying. The Donner version made you believe a man can fly, Singer did well for much of it but other times it looked really fake. You should truly believe it, you should fly with him and be pulled into the experience of flight.

- Superman should be portrayed as the most honorable, noble and chivalrous person ever. He's both and inspirational and aspirational figure for everyone. People should want to follow his example, he should be as faultless as an angel.

- Superman and the kids! To me there's nothing cooler than seeing Superman and children, in the movies, cartoons or even guys in real life dressed as Superman. There's an effect he has on children because they know he's good, honest, noble, strong and trustworthy. This goes back to my previous point of being an inspirational figure.

Bah. Epic is not enough, IMO. They just need to understand who the character is in his core.

I`d give a copy of Superman for all seasons first and foremost.

well.....they need to do both.

For All Seasons is one of my favorites because it is such a character-driven story, instead of the usual hero vs. villain epic battle. And I really hope they incorporate elements of that into the next film.

But, would that alone work on the big screen?

No.

Indeed, that was one of the major complaints with SR. It focused too much on story and drama ( although many would argue on the wrong story ) and was light on the action. Namely.....the epic battle between superpowered hero and superpowered villain action.

Even WB has recognized that. So, for the next film, I'm sure they will want to up the action with epic battle scenes.

OTOH.....what we don't want is what we got with Transformers....where it's non-stop action and explosions with little plot and character development.

We need both in the next film.....

.......is, and for me this is an essential part of the character, the epicness of the character. Superman has an epicness about him that very few other characters can replicate, only 3 spring to mind for me (Hulk, Silver Surfer, Optimus Prime).

It as essential as the Kents to Superman for me and its something that always comes through in the best Superman stories, this epicness is the thing that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you are reading about/watching the character and they need to get this right.

Even in Superman Returns, in parts, they got the epicness of the character, the plane scene, the re-charge above the clouds and the lifting of New Krypton spring to mind as the scene's that show the epicness of the character, we need these type of scene's in the new Superman movie as stuff like this is what makes the character different to the likes of Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, et al.

Anyone else agree?

I know what you mean and I agree. Hey, Supes is the grandaddy of all super heroes.

That flying clip was sweet! I think Superman's flying is the thing they need to pay the most attention to. It has to be awe inspiring. You've got to feel like you are there with him, or just barely keeping up. The camera's got to follow him, fall back, turn around his body and in many cases be just left the hell behind when he kicks into high gear.

- The flying has to look spectacular. To me Superman movies should always stand head and shoulders above every other super hero movie in every aspect. One of those is the flying. The Donner version made you believe a man can fly, Singer did well for much of it but other times it looked really fake. You should truly believe it, you should fly with him and be pulled into the experience of flight.

- Superman should be portrayed as the most honorable, noble and chivalrous person ever. He's both and inspirational and aspirational figure for everyone. People should want to follow his example, he should be as faultless as an angel.

- Superman and the kids! To me there's nothing cooler than seeing Superman and children, in the movies, cartoons or even guys in real life dressed as Superman. There's an effect he has on children because they know he's good, honest, noble, strong and trustworthy. This goes back to my previous point of being an inspirational figure.

Agree with all of this, Superman should inspire awe in everything he does, its what makes him Superman, this is the epicness of the characer I was talking about in my first post.

The next Superman for sure has to be epic, my brother hated SR and that was his first reaction not epic enough. You should leave a Superman film thinking WOW.

You're right he needs to be epic,really epic that is. He needs to knock out baddies with one punches,thrown them into buildings and other stuff making them break,and use some special moves in ways we haven't seen before. Kicks into things,really good kicks that will actually hurt them you know,far away ones,his flying style has to be different too.

Last edited:
internet has killed the word epic. it no longer has any meaning to me. everyone stop using it please. thanks. the more you know...

The next Superman for sure has to be epic, my brother hated SR and that was his first reaction not epic enough. You should leave a Superman film thinking WOW.

I thought in some scene's SR got the epicness of the character spot on, it just wasnt in the movie often enough.

internet has killed the word epic. it no longer has any meaning to me. everyone stop using it please. thanks. the more you know...

Agreed.

Instead of saying Superman should be "epic". . . I'll say that he needs to be "larger than life" and "majestic".

Agreed.

Instead of saying Superman should be "epic". . . I'll say that he needs to be "larger than life" and "majestic".

I pretty much meant it needs all of those things, it should be awe inspiring, you should come out of the movie uplifted at witnessing what Superman has done.

Yep. I'm looking to be blown away by awesome, and uplifted too.

Yep. I'm looking to be blown away by awesome, and uplifted too.

They need to do it in a way that only Superman can do though, constantly when reading the comic books or watching the movies do the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, the new movie needs to do this for everyone, its needs to be the scene in SR were Superman flies above the clouds to re-charge in the sun spread over 2 hours.

Less is more.

Singer would have had it right, save for the kid and Luthor (the character, not Spacey).

The tone of the film, style, acting, etc was great. If he would have gotten off of Donner's penis for a second, then it could have been big.

Less is more. Had that style been wrapped around a decent story, Brainiac, or whomever. . save for the f'ing kid. . things would have been on the up.

He flys. He fights. He loves Lois. He saves the world. End movie.

If one needs history on these ideals, pick up a comic.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist......with all this talk of epic this epic that.....I've always wanted to say this................

EPIC FAIL!!

:woot::oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand or this thread.......but I just couldn't resist.......:woot:

ok.....you may now carry on the conversation as usual......

I just hope they get the tone right. Make it fun and interesting to watch. Iron Man got it right in spades, interesting characters, great effects, fun to watch, it can't put into words how much fun it was to watch him fly for the first time (in the Mach 2 armor), that's the kind of stuff i want out of my superman, something serious enough for adults to enjoy but also something you can take your kids to see.

Also the lois and clark element has got to be interesting to watch, something you can invest your emotions into and enjoy watching their interaction. If they can make all the daily planet staff interesting to watch with a special focus on lois and clark while making the movie fun and enjoyable i think they'll have a winning combination.

totally i hope they do it right this time. sueprman being a symbol of hope and inspires folks. Also i agree flying definately needs to look alot better now. actually have a guy in rigs and all that, and not cgi it much.

I don't want Superman more unflawed than an angel.

I want him to be conflicted to stay the course that he knows is right. Here is a guy who has more power than anything in the world and wants to save the world. He could do it--usually easily. It is his conflict to do it without crossing the line and hurting anyone or exacting his "own" breed of justice but by leaving that role to those who should. He shouldn't be self righteous. He should understand how incredible he is, and it should be a burden on him that he could save the world from pain and suffering if he did act God-like, but refuses to do so.

This touches on the "they are a great people Kal-el they wish to be, they only lack the light to show the way". He could just do it for them, but needs to struggle to only be an example and not a cure all.

He also has to struggle with how much power he has, displayed best in his fight with Darkseid in Justice League: Unlimited.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"