The Offiicial Ideas And Interpretations - The Man of Steel Opening Credits/Scene

db85usa

HeHe!
Reaction score
To me, the most IMPORTANT part of any film is the first 10 minutes. It's vital to the entire story and IMO, the audience needs to be captivated from the start.

I say, get rid of the opening credit stuff. No more flying text. No more long over played John Williams Superman theme. Don't get me wrong, I love the theme and respect it but it's had it's time. This a reboot. No more of us flying through outer space passing by other planets and stars. It drags on and on and we don't need that anymore. In fact, I hope the only credits shown will be at the film's end.

I would really, really love to see the film open up in the same fashion of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Yes it would be copying but it's innovative and very cool. Of course, as most of us know, Batman Begins opened with Bats flying around forming the Bat symbol and then taking us into a flashback of Bruce's childhood. You know the rest of the scene. The Dark Knight opened with the Bat symbol formed by blue flames taking us to Gotham during a bank heist via The Joker and fellow henchmen.

Imagine this for The Man of Steel... We fade in -- clouds surround us. We hear the breeze and we begin to RISE up and in the midst of the clouds, we see a lone cloud in the form of an S, the symbol we can identify so well -- with the sun shining through like the spokes of a bicycle tire. We MOVE through it while the S shaped cloud begins to dissolve in front of us like smoke, bringing us onto --

Metropolis in a crisis. As we get closer, we can HEAR police sirens, fire trucks, ambulances, and people flooding the street in sheer terror and disbelief trying to escape. The city is being evacuated. A bomb threat was made by Lex Luthor who is broadcasting an audio transmission on every television station, radio station, essentially cutting into every single feed there is from an unknown remote location with the threat that if Superman couldn't find him before sundown, a bomb will be triggered in the underground Metropolis subway system to destroy the entire city.

We then fade in with WHITE and see nothing but Superman's eyes closed. He opens them and blinks twice to make things clear and FLIES to find this bomb and which subway it's connected to. He eventually finds the bomb and flies up and through the underground subway onto a Metropolis street. Superman tries to fly up in the sky and suddenly collapses. He tries to fly again and gets midway through the sky and as he begins to fall downward, we hear an echo of a laugh over every TV, radio station heard... Luthor says, "Lead... it's a beautiful thing. Isn't it? A person like me who gets all wrapped up in himself can make a mighty small yet dangerous package, Superman." We then see Superman land hard onto a Metropolis bus.

He manages to get mid flight, high up in the sky over the Metropolis river. Luthor is heard again while laughing "Somebody's not too happy with your polluting of outer space with explosive devices. So I cooked up my favorite recipe for you to enjoy at home..." Superman can't fly while immediately realizing it's a Kryptonite bomb. He suddenly starts to free fall and we hear him scream loudly, "Luuuthooorrr!" -- Luthor continues, "Things that make you go, boom!" He says.

And the bomb goes off, the blast is so strong it sends Superman into the Metropolis river while thousands of citizens watch. Superman begins to sink and we watch his eyes fade. Hundreds of Metropolis citizens begin to leap into the river and swim to find him but to no avail. Metropolis police begin to do a search & rescue for Superman throughout the river but Superman cannot be found. Each and every person is stunned and as we make our way back to a Metropolis street, it's dark. Nighttime.

We finally hear the audio feed one final time through every TV set and radio station like the sound of many waters and we hear Lex Luthor who has an evil quiet laugh to himself that echoes throughout every corner of Metropolis.

"Ha..Ha..Ha..Ha..Ha.. Goodnight, sweet prince. Parting is... inevitable."

Fade Out.

The first ten minutes should be nothing short of epicness. It has to be. It's Superman. Use your imagination, what would you like to see during the opening act? Credits or no credits? And how would your opening scene play out? What would Superman do in your scenario? I could continue on with the Daily Planet and Clark's seat being empty. The Chief/Perry White tells Lois Lane that Clark called in sick, etc. Who knows? This one for me would be a regular work day for Superman but he has no idea what's in store for tomorrow. It only gets worse with Brainiac and more Luthor.

I know, it's a looong ways away until we get to see the actual film since the script hasn't been finished officially but, any idea is welcomed here. It makes for a good discussion leading up to the reboot! Anyone else care to share their own ideas or interpretations on how they think The Man of Steel should open up altogether?

Last edited:
A cloud shaped like the \s/ would be a bit too on the nose. I agree you don't need opening credits. A Superman eye view flight from Smallville to Metropolis would be cool. Seeing middle America rush by, passing through the clouds the rising up over metropolis at night then a slow decent to street level ... then you see CK walk out from behind Bibo's.

Why would it? It's not a real cloud it's just for the purpose of the film. Bat's wouldn't really form a Bat symbol and neither could gasoline form the same. I think it'd be a cool way to open the film instead of the whole classic Superman shield being thrown up with the musical score.

I'd rather see Superman first in the opening of the movie so we can assume he's already been established kind of like X-Men with Wolverine. There's no grand entrance. He's just "There." I hope they forget the origin and the whole becoming the Superhero stuff. We know who Superman is before the movie even starts.

this is a hard question to give a good answer to. Due to the whole issue reguarding the origins and what they can do cant do and all that. For me if we cant have a full blown origin. Then yea i would go with the option like TIH and have some flashs of krypton/smallville life. With the chance of more flashbacks within the film. Then i would start off the film with clark's arrival to metropolis and getting hired. Or if they wanted to take that birthright idea and show his world travel/arrival to the planet and all that.

Why would it? It's not a real cloud it's just for the purpose of the film. Bat's wouldn't really form a Bat symbol and neither could gasoline form the same. I think it'd be a cool way to open the film instead of the whole classic Superman shield being thrown up with the musical score.

I'd rather see Superman first in the opening of the movie so we can assume he's already been established kind of like X-Men with Wolverine. There's no grand entrance. He's just "There." I hope they forget the origin and the whole becoming the Superhero stuff. We know who Superman is before the movie even starts.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with you \s/ shaped cloud. It's just a bit on the nose considering Nolan used a similar device twice already. I would prefer the first time we see the logo be in the opening on the back of his cape ... as I described in my flight from Smallville to Metropolis opening.

I would just have an opening sequence that goes over the origin and then have the Superman logo.

In comic book format with a mix of live action. I'd keep CB frames on each scene.

The opening credits start with a CB laying on a table already opened.
The camera zooms in on it and we see pictures of an alien world with mile high towers in its grand cities. Lush greenery is everywhere. A bright blue sky is above and lots of people are on the streets below. Think Coruscant but with trees and mountains.
Suddenly it all comes alive but stays in CB form.

A voice over starts, not sure just who yet, Clancy Brown I think, anyway, he gives a quick explanation on why Kal-el was sent to earth.
The scene shows Jor-el arguing with the council, he and Lara working on the spacecraft, sending Kal-el off into space, and finally a shot of the rocket zooming off with Krypton exploding in the background.

The page turns, the voice over continues.
We see the rocket crashing on earth, the Kents finding the infant, jonathan hiding the rocket in the back of his truck, and then them taking Clark home.

The page turns. it skips to when Clark is like 10 yrs old and learning to fly for the first time, and learning to use his other powers as well

Continue voice over.
The page turns. Clark has graduated from HS and heads off to discover who he is. He travels the world. We see quick shots of him in Africa, china, japan etc. We see Headlines flash across about strange rescues occurring in different parts of the world.

The page turns. We see Clark getting his college degree and hugging jonathan and martha.

The Page turns and we see Jonathan giving Clark something, it has strange markings on it, it's Kryptonarian.

The page turns. we see Clark in the arctic standing outside the newly constructed F.O.S.

The page turns. we see the Daily planet Globe then a shot of a desk with CK's name on it.

The page turns and we see a DP newspaper with headline written by Lois Lane announcing Superman's presence to the world.
A huge \S/ logo goes along with the headline.

Voice over continues.
The page turns and we see Perry, Lois, and Jimmy standing around and joking with Clark.

The page turns and we see Lex-corp, then Lex himself with an angry look on his face.

Finally we see a scene with Superman fighting a villain, maybe Bizarro or metallo.

The CB format and voice over melt away and we see Metropolis in the background, it's a huge grand city.
we see CK walking on the street below and about to enter a building, the DP.

EDIT: Not really sure what Nolan has in mind. It sounds like he wants this Superman already established, so that's the way I wrote the opening.

Last edited:
Something like the first four panels of All-Star Superman. We a glimpse of doomed krypton, Jor-El and Lara watching as Kal-El's rocket leaves Krypton's orbit, and then we see Pa and Ma Kent pulling Kal-El out of his rocket with a red cloth.
Fade in to modern day Metropolis, we have a POV of superman flying over the city which leads us to a car jacking/bank robbery/etc... and the story takes off from there.

Last edited:
In comic book format with a mix of live action. I'd keep CB frames on each scene.

The opening credits start with a CB laying on a table already opened.
The camera zooms in on it and we see pictures of an alien world with mile high towers in its grand cities. Lush greenery is everywhere. A bright blue sky is above and lots of people are on the streets below. Think Coruscant but with trees and mountains.
Suddenly it all comes alive but stays in CB form.

A voice over starts, not sure just who yet, Clancy Brown I think, anyway, he gives a quick explanation on why Kal-el was sent to earth.
The scene shows Jor-el arguing with the council, he and Lara working on the spacecraft, sending Kal-el off into space, and finally a shot of the rocket zooming off with Krypton exploding in the background.

The page turns, the voice over continues.
We see the rocket crashing on earth, the Kents finding the infant, jonathan hiding the rocket in the back of his truck, and then them taking Clark home.

The page turns. it skips to when Clark is like 10 yrs old and learning to fly for the first time, and learning to use his other powers as well

Continue voice over.
The page turns. Clark has graduated from HS and heads off to discover who he is. He travels the world. We see quick shots of him in Africa, china, japan etc. We see Headlines flash across about strange rescues occurring in different parts of the world.

The page turns. We see Clark getting his college degree and hugging jonathan and martha.

The Page turns and we see Jonathan giving Clark something, it has strange markings on it, it's Kryptonarian.

The page turns. we see Clark in the arctic standing outside the newly constructed F.O.S.

The page turns. we see the Daily planet Globe then a shot of a desk with CK's name on it.

The page turns and we see a DP newspaper with headline written by Lois Lane announcing Superman's presence to the world.
A huge \S/ logo goes along with the headline.

Voice over continues.
The page turns and we see Perry, Lois, and Jimmy standing around and joking with Clark.

The page turns and we see Lex-corp, then Lex himself with an angry look on his face.

Finally we see a scene with Superman fighting a villain, maybe Bizarro or metallo.

The CB format and voice over melt away and we see Metropolis in the background, it's a huge grand city.
we see CK walking on the street below and about to enter a building, the DP.

EDIT: Not really sure what Nolan has in mind. It sounds like he wants this Superman already established, so that's the way I wrote the opening.

Nice but I don't think there will be an origin or that things will be fast forwarded like that. It could start off with a flashback and then the present time, Superman would be in a fight, therefore already being established.

I'm assuming everyone would be okay WITHOUT the classic flying text at the beginning of each Superman movie, right? Seems a bit dated I think and it just takes too long to get into the thick of things. I'd rather the focus be forced on the story rather than fancy text and/or planets and galaxies before the first scene actually begins. It's iconic like Star Wars with it's scrolling text at the beginning and classic endings/end credits. I just think it's past it's time IMO.

Personally, I think it's going to start off kind of in the same way Iron Man did with the flashback/present time mixed together with maybe a small buildup of him becoming Superman, that's a big maybe though. I could be wrong. Nolan may want to re-introduce the character altogether with an alternative origin that takes up a half hour of the film, who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it reads like something that would take up alot of time, but it could be done in ten minutes or less.
To me, I would prefer something like that instead of another long drawn out origin like we got in S:TM.
And That's kinda what I had in mind, something short and sweet that lets you know the where and why.

Meh. It's all moot anyway if they cant use the origin stuff. we shall see.

As for the flying text, I don't care either way as long as whatever they do/use looks good.

Last edited:
for me personally if they dont show any origins at all and a superman already been supes for a long while. that would be a total mistake. we are loosing out on characters, storylines, and see how things came to be. all important things we need to have to reboot the character in my book.

Krypton BOOM... symbol formed with pieces of the planet flashing by... space... and down from outer space directly to Metropolis' L shaped Luthorcorp skycraper.

if brainiac is the villain like they've said, then for an opening scene i'd start with brainiac's decimation of krypton ala geoff john's brainiac story arc. a bunch of brainiac robots destroying krypton, and a giant dome being formed over kandor. in the background we see two ships launching from krypton. one of the ships flies right toward the camera while krypton is exploding behind it. i just hope they don't do opening credits like all of the past superman movies.

if brainiac is the villain like they've said, then for an opening scene i'd start with brainiac's decimation of krypton ala geoff john's brainiac story arc. a bunch of brainiac robots destroying krypton, and a giant dome being formed over kandor. in the background we see two ships launching from krypton. one of the ships flies right toward the camera while krypton is exploding behind it. i just hope they don't do opening credits like all of the past superman movies.

That would be sweet! The Geoff John's version is so awesome that I hope it's the one they lean towards for the movie! So you're saying you don't want the flying text/cue Superman theme stuff too? I don't think it's necessary as a reboot. I really think everything is going to be completely different story wise compared to Superman: The Movie and Superman II just like how Batman Begins was different compared to, well... All the Batman films, lol.

Krypton BOOM... symbol formed with pieces of the planet flashing by... space... and down from outer space directly to Metropolis' L shaped Luthorcorp skycraper.

I actually really like that idea. Very original :up:

for me personally if they dont show any origins at all and a superman already been supes for a long while. that would be a total mistake. we are loosing out on characters, storylines, and see how things came to be. all important things we need to have to reboot the character in my book.

What about substituting the origin with a re-introduction of Clark Kent before becoming Superman? We haven't really seen that other than S:TM... But what if we actually get to see Clark's departure and travel out with the crystal to form the Fortress of Solitude? You know, in the same fashion how Bruce disappears and leaves his identity behind him then travels to find the blue flower in Batman Begins?

page1.jpg

I like this origin from the first issue.

Last edited:
page1.jpg

I like this origin from the first issue.

Excellent find, Rodrigo. Not sure how it could all translate onto film. Is there going to be a young Clark in the reboot? I always assumed no because of the Smallville show. I wouldn't mind seeing his powers come into fruition through time. Like his vision gets distorted and he starts seeing through things. Or develops the super hearing as he gets older.

oh totally if we dont get any full on krypton stuff or full past smallville life. i at least want to see the film start out with him doing world travels and developing an identity he can have while going out saving folks to protect himself and johnthan/martha back home. Then we see him arrive in metropolis get his job. And the whole public reveal all within the 15mins or so i would have it. As i said i would just be very pissed if we dont see any origins told and we start off with a superman in action for a long while. Cause then we are losing seeing why things are different this time around and shaping the world this film series is going to be. Cause if they dont have anything. Whats the bloody point in rebooting the series. at that rate they should then continue the Singer/donner series then(and i dont want to see that).

oh totally if we dont get any full on krypton stuff or full past smallville life. i at least want to see the film start out with him doing world travels and developing an identity he can have while going out saving folks to protect himself and johnthan/martha back home. Then we see him arrive in metropolis get his job. And the whole public reveal all within the 15mins or so i would have it. As i said i would just be very pissed if we dont see any origins told and we start off with a superman in action for a long while. Cause then we are losing seeing why things are different this time around and shaping the world this film series is going to be. Cause if they dont have anything. Whats the bloody point in rebooting the series. at that rate they should then continue the Singer/donner series then(and i dont want to see that).

To me, it seems like more fans are more infatuated with the Krypton origin and all that stuff. While it IS wonderful, it's nothing new, really. I don't think it should be a main part of the story this time. I'd rather see an origin more focused on Clark Kent/Superman on earth. His journey developing powers and becoming Superman. It would be cool to see him job hunt and why he does choose to work for the Daily Planet after his journey with the crystal. I could definitely see him leave everyone behind in search of his true destiny.

I also think it would be kind of cool to see Superman in a "first draft" type of suit to start off and then introduce a masterpiece version later on during the film but, something tells me since Brainiac and Lex Luthor are going to be in the movie, it makes me believe that they are going to go with Superman being established already. How that plays out is anyone's guess.

oh totally i think most probably think we would end up getting stuck with krypton/smallville life for another hr before we get to the nitty gritty of metropolis and superman. doesnt have to be that. We could handle it like bb did and via flashbacks and have the film start out with his arrival/first public save as superman all within the first 5-10mins. Then throughout the film we learn about krypton here and there, and get some smallville life. That is how i would want it. If we dont get full blown drawn out origin.

Well... I'd say what I guessed before as an intro would be certainly appropriate, since anyway WB isn't right now in possession of the Krypton rights... it's obvious what happened to the planet and is a way of putting it on the film and passing over it without mentioning it and kicking just right into the movie, a bit like the BB opening. The more complicated detailed stuff can be done through flashbacks via Brainiac, the Kents and Jor-El in the FOS. Just give the enough background without stealing main story time

well all i hope for is if when ever we get to film either things have settled out with the heirs so we can use all elements. or at least have some flashs/hints at. so we know whats what and all. So then if it isnt settled before film goes into production. to maybe get expanded upon in sequel which by then likely things would be settled out.

I'm guessing if Nolan really has influence on the director, there will be no opening credits sequence.

It will just jump straight to the story,

I didn't notice that I spelled "Official" wrong in the thread title. FAIL. How can I get a mod to change the thread title to just "The Man of Steel Opening Credits/Scene"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"