One-Third of Young Americans Can't Find Louisiana (and that's just the beginning)

1085635345618.jpg
I can't even find my own socks let alone a WHOLE state? What are you mad?

Galactus said:
By Randolph E. Schmid
Associated Press
posted: 02 May 2006
04:13 pm ET

WASHINGTON (AP)—Despite the wall-to-wall coverage of the damage from Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn't locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi.

This isn't surprising. I thought it would be worse than that. How many young Americans can name the first 5 Presidents w/out a search engine or reference tool?

Most American's can Barely speak English...

I think finding a state on a map is the least of our (not me, in particular) problems...

In other words Americans are dumb.

That`s something i already know.But not all,i know some who can use a map and point to locations on a globe.It just goes to show that America IS being run by fools.

Most people can figure out most of the states, its smaller ones like NH and VT that most people confuse

Americans work too much and focus so little on their kids. If both parents don't work making ends meet is a major hardship.It's a viciuos cycle.The kids are home hours before their parents. It's not an excuse but it's a big part of the problem. Businesses do not want to hear you have to take off to resolve family issues. It's very sad and scary.

I was raised by my grandmother, public school teacher, and my father.
My mom wasn't really a capable parent then or now, I think would be a totally different person if she had a hand in my upbringing.

My grandmother bought me a globe when I was 11, and I really got into it. I studied where all the different countries were, and later on when I was about 13 or so I bought a World Atlas. Now I could pinpoint the location of nearly all of the countries in the world on an unmarked globe, except for perhaps a few in Oceania and Africa. Europe, Asia, Latin America- I could find any there.

As for foreign languages, I started learning Spanish when I was 14 and I'm still not fluent but I'd say I'm definitely proficient now(I'm 18). I've also started to learn Italian in the last few months.

I think one of the primary reasons I have a more globalized take than most young Americans is that I spent a lot of time on the net. Being able to talk to anyone from anywhere around the world just made the outside world seem a lot more tangible to me then it would have had I not spent much time talking to people from other places.

So there are downsides to very frequent net use, but I guess theres an upside too. I bet that if you studied it the more social and outgoing the person is, the less they probably know about foreign countries, geography etc.

This is why we invented GPS anyway :up:

Lackey said:
Our public school system rocks! :up:

The public school systems are fine, just kids don't wanna listen.That's not the school's fault.

Big Surprise. People in Louisiana can't find Louisiana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"