One Universe: Season IV IC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spider-Man-BNDExtra-Banner.jpg

The Next Day

I wake up with Gwen's head lying on my chest. She feels me stir, and looks up at me, "Okay, was that completely cliche? I mean, on prom night?"

"Probably," I chuckle. "But I don't really think I care."

The two of us lie there for awhile until we hear rustling in the hallway. Meaning Gwen's dad is home. Meaning I just went from feeling on top of the world, to feeling like I'm a man marked for execution. Sure, I've gone up against the most dangerous beings in the universe, but an angry father? I'd rather not do that.

The two of us scramble to make ourselves look decent, but as I head to swing out of the window, Captain Stacy's voice comes through the door, "I know you're here, Peter. It's okay. Come have breakfast."

I am a dead man.

The steps Gwen and I take down to the kitchen feel like we're being lead to the gallows, but when we reach the room, George Stacy smiles meekly, "I don't need to know what happened. I know you two are smart kids who care about each other deeply, and I don't have to preach to you."

I am the luckiest man alive!

One Month Later

A cheer goes up and Midtown High tosses their graduation caps into the air, signifying the end of our high school years. I've been thinking about how much my life has been turned upside down since it started, but now at the close, I find it amazing how happy I am.

Gwen grabs my arm and the two of us stroll over towards Aunt May and Captain Stacy, the two of which are beaming at us, especially Gwen, who gave an admittedly great Valedictorian speech.

But the day wasn't complete. Harry should have been here with us, no matter what has happened over the past few months. He had been one of our deepest and closest friends for so long, to have him just drop out of our lives is a big blow. But I can't blame him for hating me. Not after what happened. Especially now that Oscorp is under a federal investigation after the Scorpion ordeal.

But I attempt to drive those thoughts from my mind and focus on the positives, as my unconventional little family heads for dinner.

Two weeks from then...

George Stcay sits at his office and shakes his empty coffee cup as he looks up at the clock, muttering to himself, "One A.M. again, and still two hours of paper work. I need to cut out these long nights."

While work has been weighing on his mind, basically everything in Stacy's life is going according to plan. His daughter is headed off to college in a few months, along with her boyfriend Peter, basically the only boy George has ever been comfortable with dating his daughter. Of course it helps knowing the fact that Peter is a superhero. And the city had been quiet for a while since Peter put away the Scorpion, although Stacy didn't like that SHIELD took custody of him before he could stand trial.

The police captain stands to refill his coffee, but as he enters the hallway, he feels odd. There are no officers in the hallway, which is odd even for this hour, and he can see a pair of legs sticking out of the call taker's office.

He approaches carefully, but what he finds there horrifies him. The woman's body has been cleaved in half, and blood soaks the carpet. A flurry of movement draws his attention, and his gun.

What he sees when he turns has him at a loss for words, he fires his gun twice at the being in front of him to no avail, it approaches, ready to strike.

The last words George Stacy ever speaks are, "What the hell are you?"

The next day, his body is found with multiple lacerations and stab wounds, which are attributed to an assailant carrying an axe. All the other officers in the building at the time are also found either slain in the same manner or shriveled as if the life had been drained out of them.

The detectives on the scene find no evidence save for a message painted on the walls, written in the blood of the victims.

Carnage

CYCLOPS

~Wolverine! Colossus! We've found--~

A bullet from the gun of the blonde-haired assailant grazes Jean's knee. Not enough to seriously injure her, but enough to sting I'm sure. I clench my fist while lining up another shot at this guy.

"This won't end well for you," I promise. I fire an optic blast which he narrowly avoids. It puts a hole in the back wall of the room. I quickly glance at Nightcrawler, who's still in the process of freeing Xorn. "I wouldn't press your luck."

~Wolverine! Colossus! We've found--~

A bullet from the gun of the blonde-haired assailant grazes Jean's knee. Not enough to seriously injure her, but enough to sting I'm sure. I clench my fist while lining up another shot at this guy.​

"This won't end well for you," I promise. I fire an optic blast which he narrowly avoids. It puts a hole in the back wall of the room. I quickly glance at Nightcrawler, who's still in the process of freeing Xorn. "I wouldn't press your luck."
"It's funny you should say that," Longshot said, firing his pistol at the blue elf trying free the hostage "I mean, that's really quite funny,"

He was, of course, aware that his 'luck' was quickly running out. He could only keep this up for a few minutes or so. Which suggested that he was reaching the end of his contract. It may have been a few seconds early, but he brought the detonator for the bomb that was strapped under Xorn's jacket. He smiled at the X-Men, and gave a mock bow, all the time moving towards the window. He could hear the news helicopter outside. He grinned.

"This is nothing personal. It's been a pleasure," he said, before spinning around and firing at the window, which shattered with an almighty crash. An optic blast grazed his leg, knocking him off step. Pushing his luck. He jumped, pressing the red button on the detonator as he did so.

KRA-KOOM

:super:

"Wow. You mean Brainiac had Kandor all along?"

sg12.jpg

Supergirl. Kara Zor-El. Truly my last surviving family. She's taking the news better than I expected. "I always wondered what happened to it," she remarks to herself. She shakes her head. "I can't believe Brainiac was capable of that. I mean, I thought he was just a computer."

"It was right there. I practically held it in my hands," I explain without looking at her. I remember the explosion, the sinking feeling that I had lost. "Thousands of Kryptonians gone. I couldn't save them."

"You can't beat yourself up, Kal," Kara insists calmly. "You did everything you could." She points towards the horizon at the Metropolis skyline. "You saved them."

I furrow my brow. "I don't understand, Kara. I mean, I didn't even know Kandor, but you?" I turn to her. "I can't imagine what this must be like. To know that I could've saved our people."

Kara shrugs, floating up towards me. "I came to terms with the destruction of Krypton long ago. If Kandor could've been saved, that would've been great. But I just figured it's you and me. You're my family."

I smile. "Have I ever told you that you're more mature than you look?"

"Smallville! Welcome back to Earth," Lois says with a smirk as I walk into the newsroom. She pushes a box of donuts towards me. "Donut?"

I shake my head.

"Something wrong, Smallville? You seem a little...off, even for you."

I sit down at my desk, putting on a smile. "It's nothing, Lois. Just off in my own little world right now." I boot up my computer and glance at Lois, who appears to have bought my excuse. I clear my throat. "So...what are you working on?"

"That spaceship floating above Metropolis," she answers. "Where were you during that, by the way?"

I swallow the lump in my throat. "I was following a lead all the way across town. Crazy stuff, right?"

Lois nods. After a moment of silence, she asks, "Hey, Smallville, how do you spell 'enthralled?' One 'L' or two?"

I smirk. "Two 'L's, Lois." Maybe Kara was right. Things don't need to change. Kandor is gone, but Earth is still here. Metropolis is still here. Lois is still here. And if I had lost that instead? I couldn't live with myself. "Hey, Lois?"

"Yeah, Smallville?"

I take a deep breath. "Are you doing anything Friday?"

Lois stops typing and slides back in her chair. She looks at me and arches an eyebrow. "Is Clark Kent asking me on a date?"

"I...well...not necess--"

"Okay, Smallville," Lois interjects. "Why not? Pick me up at my place around seven?" And as if nothing happened, she goes right back to typing. "And try to look nice. I can't be seen out on the town with someone who looks like his mother still dresses him." She smirks.

Nightcrawler

BAMF

I teleport so fast it borders on precognition. Appearing next to Jean and Scott, I grab them before teleporting again downstairs and grabbing Logan and Pete. In another instant, the four of us are treading water in the middle of the river near Mutant Town.

None of us say a word as we watch the slum go up in a series of explosions, and the buildings crumble to the ground in flaming wreckage. My heart wrenches knowing there are still plenty of innocent people trapped in the area. Trapped by the military. How this is going to play out I'm not sure, but somehow I think we're going to be the bad guys.

We all swim for sure, and I'm the first one to find my voice, "Ve failed...How did ve fail? It's not supposed to be like zhis."

GordonBanner.gif

I sit on my couch with my morning coffee and watch the morning news with only the slightest bit of a smile on my face. Mike Engel is reporting on the Gazette's report that Mayor Hill was taking campaign contributions from Two-Face. The paper reporter, Knox, has rock solid evidence that prove bank accounts the MCU traced to Two-Face had checks written out to Hill's campaign accounts. All told it was about fifty grand that had been given to Mayor Hill.

I look up from my coffee cup as Sarah comes down the stairs and pads into the kitchen. This is third straight night she slept over.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for work, Major Essen?"

"Majors don't have to report to work until nine. The joys of being in command."

"I wouldn't know anything about that."

"Seeing as how you spent most nights sleeping on the couch in your office, I can understand why you wouldn't know anything about that."

I remain silent and watch her walk into the living room and plop down on the couch beside me. As much as I miss police work, this is nice.

"What do you think of the news?"

"It's not illegal, so you can bet Hill will find a way to weasel out of it. I am curious as to where the paper got their information."

Sarah chuckles and takes a sip of her coffee. "Some concerned citizen I bet."

"No matter how bad Gotham gets, we can always rely on those concerned citizens."

mcu.gif

Deputy Mayor Arnold Krohl watched the news on TV. He silently uttered a thanks to God. He was in for a vicious three-man race for the Mayor's seat. Hill was the strongest candidate, but if Hill was disgraced that would make his chances better and he could overcome Councilman Kane with hard work. Krohl walked to his desk and looked at the file inside. Inside the folder were pictures of Kane's wife buying drugs on an East Gotham corner. A PI had followed her for a few days a week ago and brought back the photos. They could be damming to Kane's campaign and wreck his political career. Krohl shook his head and closed the drawer. The photos would be used only as a last resort if he absolutely needed to use them. He wouldn't resort to mud-slinging.

He turned back to the television and watched as the news poured in. Hopefully, it wouldn't come to mud-slinging.

The greyhound bus came to a stop and its air-brakes hissed in the early morning air. The bus doors slid open and the people began exiting out. One of the passengers stepped out with a duffle bag in his hands and a baseball cap down around his eyes. He took a long glance at the city's skyline and watched for a moment as the sun began rising over the city. It had been ten years since he left the city, ten years since he was forced to go on the run. Now he was back in town, the town he had helped run once upon a time.

Even though his past was behind him, Daniel "Danny Boy" Sullivan was glad to be back home.

Mayor Hamilton Hill gave a press conference to a packed room. Journalist, citizens, and other city officials all crowded in and listened to his passionate defense. Denying all accusations and reports, Hill assures the public that there is no reason to think he was taking money from the imprisoned crime lord and he is still planning to run for another term. And win.

Councilman David Kane slid into the back booth at the Iceberg Lounge. He glanced around, making sure nobody saw him sitting here.

"Councilman," a voice squwaked from behind him. Kane turned around to see Oswald Cobblepot waddling up and sitting on the other side of the table from the councilman.

"Mister Cobblepot," Kane coolly replied.

"I'm hurt by your tone," Cobblepot said with a smirk. "I was under the impression all your politicians consorted with alleged criminals. That is if I am to believe today's news reports."

"Can we just get down to business," Kane said with obvious agitation in his voice. "You know what I'm asking for. How much will it cost?"

"Fifty thousand dollars," Cobblepot said without a beat. "And I will need a picture."

Kane sighed and reached into his wallet. "Here's a picture, it's a little dated, but it's mostly accurate. As for the money, I'll pay half now and half when it's done."

"Very well," Cobblepot said as he took the picture from Kane. He glanced down at the dark haired woman smiling in the picture. Alongside her was Kane and two children. "Love on the rocks, what a shame. My best people will take care of it."

"Just get it done," Kane said. "I don't want to know about how it gets done, just get it done. The less I know, the better."

"Very well," Cobblepot said. "This conversation never happened. My discretion is like our current mayor's integrity, it can be bought."

Kane shook his head and stood, heading towards the exit without another word. Cobblepot watched him leave and chuckled. Finally he pulled a phone from his pocket and dialed a number.

"Mink, Oswald here. I have a job for you. Twenty-five grand, yes. The usual going rate. I have a picture here. Come see me and we'll get it worked out."

Cobblepot hung up and placed the phone back into his pocket. Once he did that, the portly crime boss pulled a small voice recorder from his pocket and shut it off. While money was always good to have, leverage on a rising political star was even better.

In Cobblepot's experience, nothing in this world worked without leverage.

Nightcrawler

BAMF

I teleport so fast it borders on precognition. Appearing next to Jean and Scott, I grab them before teleporting again downstairs and grabbing Logan and Pete. In another instant, the four of us are treading water in the middle of the river near Mutant Town.

None of us say a word as we watch the slum go up in a series of explosions, and the buildings crumble to the ground in flaming wreckage. My heart wrenches knowing there are still plenty of innocent people trapped in the area. Trapped by the military. How this is going to play out I'm not sure, but somehow I think we're going to be the bad guys.

We all swim for sure, and I'm the first one to find my voice, "Ve failed...How did ve fail? It's not supposed to be like zhis."
Jesus.

It's times like these when I wonder if I'm fit to be leader. Nightcrawler's right. We failed, and I don't even know what to say. What can you say to make up for the death of hundreds of people - the very people we swore to protect? I look at Jean, and I know she doesn't even need to read my mind. She knows what I'm thinking, and she's just as lost as I am.

The sirens are closing in now. "X-Men, let's move out," I say as authoritatively as I can. I wipe the corner of my suddenly dry mouth. We can't afford to be here when the police arrive. Anti-mutant sentiment runs deep, and with the Registration Act pending? People will be more than happy to crucify us for this. Frankly, I don't know that they shouldn't.

We fly back to Westchester in near silence. I'm sure the others are lost in their own thoughts, just like I am. Even the Professor hasn't reached out or said a word. I think we're all just shellshocked. First Stamford, now this? We're supposed to be the good guys. We're not supposed to let anything bad happen.

Maybe the government's right, I think, much to own surprise. Before tonight, I never would've entertained such thoughts. Maybe we hurt more than we help. I try to push those thoughts aside. Registration is just another step closer to persecution. But then I wonder: if we had been working with the government, would tonight have happened the way it did?

I look at Jean, and she looks back at me.

~Don't beat yourself up, Scott. There was nothing you could've done.~

I close my eyes, trying to make myself believe that. I turn my attention back to X-Jet's controls as we prepare to land.

197688-159745-lex-luthor.jpg

"My fellow Americans," Lex Luthor said calmly, a grave look on his face as he sat behind the desk of the President "We live in strange and troubling times. Metahumans, mutants and vigilantes are in our midst...these superheroes. They are making our world a more dangerous place. The Stamford Incident, and now the Mutant Town Bombings. How many people have lost their lives at the hands of irresponsible heroes or uncaring demi-gods? Too many. And that is why I, as your president, have stepped in. I have sent my Superhuman Registration Act to congress on behalf of you, the peope of the United States,"

"I am aware that some of you may already be panicking, forseeing some dystopian future for our dear country. That is not so. I will not allow it. The registration act merely demands the disclosure of the identity of these metahumans to a government authority, for our protection. These identities will not be made public without consent. Furthermore, they will be required to come under government moderation, or face mandatory retirement. Any mutants who desire to work for their country will join SHIELD's Special Division. Any other heroes who wish to serve America will be brought under the Avengers Initiative, which is even now being reworked by their leader Dr Hank Pym,"

"I do this to free America, not to enslave it. Masked heroes have been clashing with conventional forces for far too long; how long before police jobs become unneeded, how long before the army is forced to retire their services. It is...unfortunate that it has to come to this. But be aware, this can only be a good thing for the future of our country. I believe in her, and you should too. To any metahumans who may be watching, I give a request. Comply with the laws of this land. Do not become the criminals you once sought to destroy. Register,"

:super:

When Friday night finally rolls around, I feel a knot forming in my stomach. I've been pining over Lois since I first arrived in Metropolis, and I haven't done a great job of keeping it a secret. And then, when I saw the way she looked at Superman, the way she talked about him, I wondered if it could ever happen. Here was this beautiful, headstrong woman, and she had fallen for the wrong side of me. I could never get close to her as Superman. But now? Clark Kent was taking her on a date. Me - no cape, no tights, no powers. Just me.

I made reservations at this new restaurant downtown. I had my suit dry-cleaned. I laugh at myself as I get ready. I've stood up to General Zod, Darkseid, and even Galactus, and one little date has me nervous. I wonder what Batman would think. He'd probably get a kick out of it. I spend about ten minutes trying to tie my tie because I keep having to start over. Get a hold of yourself, Clark. It's just one date.

On the way to Lois's apartment, I pass a street vendor selling flowers. I pause. Would that be too much? I don't want to scare Lois, but at the same time I want her to know I'm serious. I decide to get a small bouquet - just enough so she can appreciate the thought, but not so much that it looks like I've put a lot of thought into it. I shake my head, smiling the whole time. I'm absolutely overthinking this.

When I knock on the door, Lois answers with an earring in hand. "Hey, Smallville," she says casually, instantly putting me at ease. She looks down at the floors. I hold my breath. "For me? Well, look at you. Chivalry's not dead after all."

"You look..." I struggle to find the right word. "...beautiful."

Lois reaches out and takes the flowers. "Thank you. You're not so bad yourself, once we get you out of that office." She smirks. "Come in."

I sheepishly step into the apartment. Just a few weeks ago, I was here as Superman. But Clark Kent? He's a stranger to these realms. I shuffle into the living room, fiddling with the buttons on my jacket sleeves.

"Sorry about this," Lois announces from the other room. "I know I'm usually not one to run late."

I clear my throat. "Oh, it's no problem. Our reservation's not for another--" I check my watch. "--fifteen minutes."

"Reservation? Oh, wow. How fancy." Lois steps into the living room as she finally puts her earring on. "So, where are you taking me? Actually, scratch that. I like a surprise."

KNOCK-KNOCK.

"Hold that thought." Lois heads to the door, clearly as confused and surprised as I am.

sl.jpg

"...General?"

Though I've never met the man, I recognize him right away. General Sam Lane, US Army.

Lois's father.

"Hello, Lois. Surprised to see me?" He glances over her shoulder and notices me. "Hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Bruce, you've lost your mind."

I continue to fiddle with my tie in front of the mirror in my office. "You've made that abundantly clear, Lucius."

"I should have you committed."

"Now, now. I don't think that our investors would be happy if you did that."

"You think they're gonna be happy about this?"

"I'm just doing what needs to be done, Lucius."

I see Lucius just shake his head in the mirror. I can't help but smile as I finally get my tie to look presentable. "It'll be fine."

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into."

"I think I have some idea..."

The camera flashes almost blind me. So much so that I nearly stumble on one of the steps on my way down the stairs. I get a sudden image of Dick teasing me about Batman falling down the stairs.

The flashing lights let up slightly as I reach the bottom, but their replaced by the shouting of questions from the mass of reporters.

"Mr. Wayne, what's the big announcement?!

"Is it true you're taking Wayne Enterprises public?"

"Bruce! Did you and Angelina have twins?"

I roll my eyes slightly and put my hands up as I reach the podium. "Please, please," I say into the microphone. "I'll be glad to answer questions in a minute."

Finally the crowd quiets down, and hands drop as reporters focus on taking notes rather than getting my attention. The network cameras focus on me. I take out my cue cards and place them on the podium, but I have what I want to say memorized already.

"Everyone here, and out there, knows who I am. They know my story, both grand and tragic. They also know my reputation. I will not deny that I enjoy life. That I prefer to squeeze every ounce of living out of the time I have. Some people hate me for it. Some people shake their heads in disappointment. And some even wonder if I'm going to run my company into the ground."

Lucius stiffens slightly at that. "About the latter, have no fear. Wayne Enterprises is doing just fine, despite the economic conditions we are in. My business manager, Lucius Fox, is, in my opinion, a genius. He does a magnificent job of running Wayne Enterprises when I'm not around. And even when I am." There's a bit of laughter from the reporters.

"But I'm not here to talk about Wayne Enterprises. It's strong, and that's not going to change anytime soon. No, I'm here to talk about the former matter, about the way I live." There's confused murmurs from the crowd.

"The Wayne family has always loved Gotham. And I'm no different. It's my home, always has been, always will be. Even during the years I was traveling the world, my thoughts were always on this city. And when I came back and saw the condition she was in, how far she had fallen, I still had hope. Hope that Gotham would overcome and be the beacon it can be."

"But that can't happen as long as the people of Gotham have no hope themselves. And how can they have hope when the people they elected to office are just as corrupt as the criminals that make our streets unsafe? Everyone knows by now that the Gotham Gazette broke the story on Mayor Hill's 'alleged' corruption. I own that paper, and while Alexander Knox wrote the groundbreaking article, it was published on my authority."

"Why am I telling you this? Because I refuse to live in fear. I refuse to let this city die because of the people charged with protecting it. I refuse to just stand by or play games when the people of Gotham deserve so much more. For better or worse, I've been given the nickname of 'Gotham's favorite son.' And it's about time I earned it."

"That is why, today...I am officially announcing my candidacy for mayor of Gotham City."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"