One Universe RPG: Season V IC Thread

"As always, Kurt, you are right on the nose."

I reach into my jacket pocket and toss the device to Kurt. I also hand him a small camera.

"Either you or Kitty please clip that to your person. Whatever we manage to find here, I would like hard evidence."

I take both of the image inducers in hand and teleport next to two men on the dam. They don't see me, thank God, and I scan them both from a safe distance. I teleport back and hand the inducer back to Kitty, "Activate it. It'll make you look like a guard. Hopefully it'll give us the time we need."

Both of us turn on the devices, and become spitting images of the guards. I look at my friend, "Ready?"

She nods, and I teleport us back to the damn, next to the guards. We incapacitate them quickly, and hide their unconscious forms in two storage compartments.

Moving quickly into the base proper, we hurry to find anything useful. We do our best to seem like we belong in the multitude of cement tunnels, but it's obvious we don't have a clue where we're going. Each turn takes us deeper into this obviously humongous base.

But it's also a labyrinth. Each corridor looks like the last with few distinguishing marks between them. It wouldn't be so bad, but at this depth and distance, I have no idea how to teleport out. I'd end up in a wall or in the lake, and we'd never survive that.

As we turn one corner, we find a room like none I have ever seen before. A grand atrium opens around us, with a small case of water, only slightly bigger than a large bathtub. Above us, computers and lab equipment run with no one manning them.

On our level, tubes run out of large vats, empty now, but obviously full at one time. The tubes run into the pool of water, but nothing flows out of them at this point.

"Vhat is this place?" I ask, astounded.

"Dunno," Kitty responds, the femininely voice coming out of the large looking guard almost makes me laugh. "But I'm using a computer to find out."

After a few moments, Kitty says, "You'd figure they would have better internal security. I literally just got everything off this thing."

But as soon as she says that, the entrance to the room slams shut, and a face shows up on all the computer screens. One I've seen before on the nightly news.

20.jpg

"Well hello my mutant friends," William Stryker smiles. "I was wondering how long it would take you to find our little operation here. Unluckily for you, it'll be the last thing you'll ever see." He turns back to the troops behind him, "Go get 'em boys."

I activate my communicator, "Beast, Wolverine, anyone. We need help. Now."

"Something ain't right."

I look over at Logan and shrug.

"If there was something wrong, then we would have heard something from Kurt and Kitty by now. If not them, a red alert would have surely-"

"Attention," the base's loudspeaker announces. "Intruder alert. Set Condition 1 around the base."

"There's one..."

I activate my communicator, "Beast, Wolverine, anyone. We need help. Now."

"And there's the other one. Hold on, Kurt, we're on the way."

I severe communications before turning to Logan and Jean.

"That base is so massive, I don't think we can find them in time."

"I think I can reach out mentally and pick up their location."

"If not that, then Kurt's brimstone leaves one bad place of a scent trail."

"Well, let's go."

"You don't have to tell me twice."

SNIKT!

Wolverine's adamantium claws cut through the base's fence like a hot knife through butter. Wolverine leads the charge with Jean and I right behind him. A soldier in a guardtower takes aim at us, but the gun flies out of his hands and strikes him in the head, knocking the man unconscious. Other soldiers respond to the red alert.

"Take a left right here."

We follow Jeans' directions and walk right into a waiting squad of armed soldiers.

"Invaders, you are hereby ordered to cease and desist. If you refuse, you will be shot and killed."

"How do we want to do this?"

"It seems that we're outnumbered, outgunned, and out of luck. Let's say that I go right, Jean stays to the left and Logan?"

"Yeah?"

"Do what you do best."

Logan lets out a primal scream and charges towards the soldier. I leap into the air, baring my teeth and claws as Jean knocks a group of soldiers back with a telekinetic blast.

The three of us make short work of the men and are back on the trail for Kitty and Kurt. Jean leads us underground into a maze of corridors and rooms.

"I'm having trouble narrowing down their location..."

"Yeah, the scent is starting to fade."

I sigh and hit my communicator.

"Beast to Nightcrawler and Shadowcat. Where exactly are you?"

Landing on the roof of the Baxter Building, I head into the room where Batman and I left the others, and find them still in basically the same positions as I left them. Looks of worry and fatigue cover their faces, and I can't blame them. This is something most of us have never dealt with before. Not only do we have to deal with a city in chaos, but we've got the government breathing down our necks as well. Not to mention the fact that the Carnage killer is still out there somewhere.

"What were they doing?" Reed asks as he reenters the room, no doubt after checking on Venom. "I take it they didn't catch you?"

"Actually...the opposite," I respond. "I met with them. Offered them a deal."

"A deal? And how the bad place do you know they'll stay true to it?" Johnny asks with disgust. "It's not like they haven't lied to us before."

"I know," I nod. For all I know Black Widow could be lying about working for Fury. But I need to take the chance that she isn't. "One of the Avengers is apparently a mole for our side. Black Widow. She promised she'd try and carry it through."

"And what is the deal?" Robin asks.

They aren't going to like this. Taking a deep breath, I explain, "You all need to trust me. I'm doing this for all of us, and for New York. I offered them myself in order for us to work together in order to save New York. Whatever that entails, I don't know. But it's done, and that's the deal."

"Are you insane?" Kara asks, obviously angry. "Who knows what Luthor will do! He's a madman."

"I know, but it needs to be done," I respond. "And Black Widow is going to meet me here in a few hours. Reed, I need you to get a way to transport Robin out of here and back to Gotham. Supergirl, you need to get out of here as well. Jamie needs to be taken to his room and hidden. I don't want anyone other than Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny working on this, just in case there's a double cross. You four already are semi-affiliated with SHIELD and aren't likely to be detained."

"But you need my help," Kara says, standing in defiance.

"No, I need you safe and somewhere away from SHIELD," I respond coolly. I know they won't like being sent away, but I won't have my team captured because of a deal I made. "I'm the leader of the Titans, and those are my orders. Now I've got a symbiote to talk to."

I leave them there, not wanting to answer anymore questions. I walk into Reed's lab, where in the corner, Venom stalks from side to side like a lion in a cage.

As I approach, he roars at me, which just reinforces that image.

Grabbing a chair, I sit and look hard at the beast. I need to know how many people he has working for him in this plan of his.

"So, pretty nifty trick you've learned. Controlling people like that. How many do you have?"

BAMF!

I appear between two guards, kicking one in the face and smacking the other to the ground with my tail.

BAMF!

Appearing behind another, I grab him around the waist.

BAMF!

At the roof of the room, I drop the captive soldier onto a group of others, sprawling them to the ground. Sticking to the ceiling, my communicator goes off and I receive a message from Beast.

"Beast to Nightcrawler and Shadowcat. Where exactly are you?"

"Beast, ve are in some sort of-" some of the soldiers point their weapons my way. I teleport out of the way, "-laboratory. I don't know vhere though. Zhere are smelting vats and some sort of pool."

"Beast," Kitty says from below. She's been intangible the entire time, frustrating the soldiers. "We're on section C, room 7. Found out from the info I jacked from the computer."

"Beast, ve are in some sort of-" some of the soldiers point their weapons my way. I teleport out of the way, "-laboratory. I don't know vhere though. Zhere are smelting vats and some sort of pool."

"Beast," Kitty says from below. She's been intangible the entire time, frustrating the soldiers. "We're on section C, room 7. Found out from the info I jacked from the computer."

Wolverine takes down a solider with a clothesline. I look around at the walls and find out where we're located.

"We're one section over. Stay safe, we're on the way."

We take out the troops between us and the room Kurt and Kitty are in and come to a stop outside the door.

"It's locked."

"Not for much longer."

Wolverine steps up and drives his claws into the door. The door slides open and the three of us rush in to help our fellow X-Men.

IC: Magneto

Xavier Institute for Higher Learning
Westchester County, New York

I knock on the door and wait for it to open.

"Hello, Conner."

"Hello, Mister Lensherr. Umm, what can I help you with?"

"I just wanted to speak to you, if I could."

"Sure. Come in."

I follow Conner into his room and look around.

"I hope you're finding everything okay here at the school. Are you enjoying your classes?"

"Yeah, the teachers here are nice and the students seem cool."

"Excellent. I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but I understand you have quite the talent."

"I guess," he says a bit self-consciously.

"Why do you say it like that? Do you know how many people would love to do what you can do."

"I get that, I just kind of wish I could control it better."

"In time, you will. My abilities were wildly fluctuating when they were activated."

"Really? What did you do?"

I think back to that day. The rain, my mother screaming, the men dragging me away from her, knowing what was going to happen to her.

"I pulled a chain-linked fence out of the ground and ripped it apart.....but that's a different story for a different day."

Conner nods, knowing not to press too much. I like that.

"The main reason I'm here is to tell you that your powers needed to be trained and honed, but they don't need to be hidden. Do not be ashamed of what you are. I know you have feelings and problems, and I'm here to talk to you. My door is always open to you."

"Thanks...uhh, I appreciate it I guess."

I pat Conner on the shoulder and begin to leave when he stands up.

"Wait..."

"What is it?"

"I can hear something...off in the distance. It's miles away."

"What is it?"

"Engines....helicopter engines. Something's coming. Somebody's coming."

Wolverine steps up and drives his claws into the door. The door slides open and the three of us rush in to help our fellow X-Men.

Wolverine, Jean, and Beast join the melee, and we begin tearing through the guards. I teleport next to one, and toss him with my tail towards Beast, who slams his two powerful legs into him. Down below, Kitty runs through a soldier, who turns and receives an adamantium punch to the face from Logan. And Jean sends a telekinetic wave that sends five men flying.

And that's when William Styker's voice echoes through the chamber yet again, "Well, I'd love to stay. But I've got bigger fish to fry, and a little house party to go to in Westchester. But I left you a little fun as well. I'd say you've got five minutes before you're all going for a little swim."

Westchester. The Mansion. He's going after the mansion and the school and it's all our fault. We probably gave him the ability to do it. We've infiltrated a government facility and attacked government workers.

I appear next to Beast, "I think it's time ve left, Professor."

IC: Colossus

I lay on the grass staring up at the stars with Dani's head resting on my chest. She breaks the silence, "I figured this would be too lame for a big guy like you."

"Nah," I reply with a smile. "I'm really a big softy. Hard candy outside, gooey chocolate inside."

As we lean in for a kiss, a low hum cuts through the night air. I stand instantly, and hone my hearing in to the source. Helicopters. A lot of them. There's no doubt about it. And I don't think that means well for us.

"Pete...what is it?" Danielle asks, obviously worried.

"Go wake everyone up, especially the Professor," I respond, not taking my eye of the horizon. "We're gonna have company."

But before she can even reach the mansion, helicopters explode over the trees that surround the mansion, bathing the grounds in bright spotlights. I instantly cover myself, and wait for the onslaught.

Helicopters begin dropping troops on the roof of the mansion, and some smash right through the windows, infiltrating directly. And before I know it, I'm surrounded by them as well.

They discharge their weapons at me, and I'm surprised to find they're only tranquilizers. So they're not here to kill, only to detain. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried at the possibilities that holds.

Not waiting to worry about that, I charge at them, bowling the lot over. I pick on up by the collar, and the SHIELD logo mocks me as I stare at it. It figures, Luthor would send them after us.

I toss him into another group of black op agents and head back to the mansion. I may not be able to save all of the kids, but I can give them some time.

"No, I need you safe and somewhere away from SHIELD," I respond coolly. I know they won't like being sent away, but I won't have my team captured because of a deal I made. "I'm the leader of the Titans, and those are my orders. Now I've got a symbiote to talk to."

I leave them there, not wanting to answer anymore questions. I walk into Reed's lab, where in the corner, Venom stalks from side to side like a lion in a cage.

As I approach, he roars at me, which just reinforces that image.

Grabbing a chair, I sit and look hard at the beast. I need to know how many people he has working for him in this plan of his.

"So, pretty nifty trick you've learned. Controlling people like that. How many do you have?"

The sight of Parker entering the room, no doubt to taunt him drives Venom into a fury, however, he does listen as his enemy speaks, and he is left confused.

"What are you talking about Parker? It is just us. There are no others...it's always been just us."

Wolverine, Jean, and Beast join the melee, and we begin tearing through the guards. I teleport next to one, and toss him with my tail towards Beast, who slams his two powerful legs into him. Down below, Kitty runs through a soldier, who turns and receives an adamantium punch to the face from Logan. And Jean sends a telekinetic wave that sends five men flying.

And that's when William Styker's voice echoes through the chamber yet again, "Well, I'd love to stay. But I've got bigger fish to fry, and a little house party to go to in Westchester. But I left you a little fun as well. I'd say you've got five minutes before you're all going for a little swim."

Westchester. The Mansion. He's going after the mansion and the school and it's all our fault. We probably gave him the ability to do it. We've infiltrated a government facility and attacked government workers.

I appear next to Beast, "I think it's time ve left, Professor."

"Oh my goodness. Kurt, can you teleport us all to the Blackbird? I have a feeling time is of the essence."

I lay on the grass staring up at the stars with Dani's head resting on my chest. She breaks the silence, "I figured this would be too lame for a big guy like you."

"Nah," I reply with a smile. "I'm really a big softy. Hard candy outside, gooey chocolate inside."

As we lean in for a kiss, a low hum cuts through the night air. I stand instantly, and hone my hearing in to the source. Helicopters. A lot of them. There's no doubt about it. And I don't think that means well for us.

"Pete...what is it?" Danielle asks, obviously worried.

"Go wake everyone up, especially the Professor," I respond, not taking my eye of the horizon. "We're gonna have company."

But before she can even reach the mansion, helicopters explode over the trees that surround the mansion, bathing the grounds in bright spotlights. I instantly cover myself, and wait for the onslaught.

Helicopters begin dropping troops on the roof of the mansion, and some smash right through the windows, infiltrating directly. And before I know it, I'm surrounded by them as well.

They discharge their weapons at me, and I'm surprised to find they're only tranquilizers. So they're not here to kill, only to detain. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried at the possibilities that holds.

Not waiting to worry about that, I charge at them, bowling the lot over. I pick on up by the collar, and the SHIELD logo mocks me as I stare at it. It figures, Luthor would send them after us.

I toss him into another group of black op agents and head back to the mansion. I may not be able to save all of the kids, but I can give them some time.

Chaos and panic begin to descend on the mansion. I calmly walk down the halls, dressed for battle with Conner by my side.

"Lensherr."

I turn on my heels at the sound of my name. Jefferson Pierce comes out of a side door wearing his old X-Men uniform.

"Moonstar and Magma are getting the younger students into the tunnel escape routes."

"Where is Charles?"

"He's with Bobby. They're heading to the lower levels of the mansion."

I nod and begin walking towards the front door with the two flanking me.

"It's been a long time since you suited up. Will you be able to keep up with us, Mister Pierce?"

"One thing you don't have to worry about with me, Lensherr. Black doesn't crack."

We step out on to the front lawn. Colossus is currently dispatching a dozen soldiers single-handedly. More helicopters are beginning to come down with more soldiers.

"Piotr," I call over to the metal-covered mutant. "You may want to watch your head."

I raise my hand up and swing it down. The helicopters dip towards the ground and crash into the lawn, each of them twisting and flipping as they hit the ground.

"So much for air superiority. Let's get started, shall we?"

Pierce's hands crackle with electricity and Conner shoots into the air.

"Oh my goodness. Kurt, can you teleport us all to the Blackbird? I have a feeling time is of the essence."

I've never teleported like that. Not through this much concrete and unknown area. And jean can sense my unease, "Kurt, look at me. I can help you focus. Concentrate."

She places her hands on my head, and our destination is clear as day. The others hold on tight and-

BAMF!

We appear in the Blackbird, and Jean and Beast begin powering the jet up. In a matter of moments, we speed off towards home, just as the base below explodes, destroying the damn it was built into, and flooding the area with the waters of Alkali Lake.

"Piotr," I call over to the metal-covered mutant. "You may want to watch your head."

I raise my hand up and swing it down. The helicopters dip towards the ground and crash into the lawn, each of them twisting and flipping as they hit the ground.

"So much for air superiority. Let's get started, shall we?"

Pierce's hands crackle with electricity and Conner shoots into the air.

IC Colossus

Conner is tearing choppers out of the sky, Pierce is shocking soldiers into submission, Magneto pistol whips them with their own weapons, and I'm doing what I do best. It seems we're going to make short work of these guys. I only hope that the girls got the young kids out safely, and that Bobby protects Xavier.

Of course when things seem to be going the best is when they tend to turn to ****.

"ENOUGH!" someone yells behind me. I turn and receive the hardest punch I've ever gotten. It sends me flying through the air and through the wall of the mansion. I shake the cobwebs out of my head, and find one of the Avengers standing in the middle of the melee.

Ares.jpg

Before I can blink, Conner engages Ares in hand to hand combat, and the two seem to be beating the snot out of each other.

Brushing the debris off of me, I stand between Magneto and Pierce, "So Luthor sends one of his pets after us."

"Yea...and he's not alone."

The helicopters have all retreated. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the new sound that's filled the night. This time it's like rockets landing at the Xavier Institute, but the forms that cause the sounds are much, much more frightening.

440px-Sentinels_head.jpg

Sentinels

The sight of Parker entering the room, no doubt to taunt him drives Venom into a fury, however, he does listen as his enemy speaks, and he is left confused.

"What are you talking about Parker? It is just us. There are no others...it's always been just us."

He's lying. He has to be. The thing Batman took of Croc was part of the symbiote. I know that much. So whatever game Venom is playing, I need to get to the bottom of it.

'I'm not here to play games, Brock," I respond with any of my normal sarcasm. "I know you were controlling Killer Croc. I know you've taken control of Scarecrow. I'll be back in a few hours. I hope you'll be a little more talkative then."

Leaving Venom to stew in his hatred, I head to the room Reed made up for me and hope to get some sleep.

I've never teleported like that. Not through this much concrete and unknown area. And jean can sense my unease, "Kurt, look at me. I can help you focus. Concentrate."

She places her hands on my head, and our destination is clear as day. The others hold on tight and-

BAMF!

We appear in the Blackbird, and Jean and Beast begin powering the jet up. In a matter of moments, we speed off towards home, just as the base below explodes, destroying the damn it was built into, and flooding the area with the waters of Alkali Lake.

I spend the majority of the trip back to the mansion on pins and needles. We should have seen it coming, I should have seen it coming. All the little breadcrumbs led us to a government facility.

"It was a damn setup," Logan growls, punching the side of the Blackbird. "How did we not see that coming?"

I didn't think it out. For all my proclaimed genius, I overlooked the fact that they wanted us to go there. While many say that I am a smart man, to be blunt: I am no Scott Summers.

"Hank."

I turn around from the co-pilot seat. Kitty is sitting with Kurt towards the back of the jet, her laptop in front of them. I unbuckle from my seat and walk back to them.

"I've been going over the data I recovered from the base. Despite it being a trap, they didn't expect I could crack through their firewalls. That base was a research and experiment site. They've done everything from experimenting on mutants, to attempting to clone humans."

She looks towards the front and lowers her voice.

"The records show that there have only been a handful of successes. Of those, the two that jump out are these two. One was a mutant, codenamed Weapon X. The other was a clone named Experiment 13. This clone was a mixture of human, mutant...and alien genetics."

I put on my glasses and scan over Kitty's finding. I begin to skim through the details on Weapon X when I stand upright, looking towards an oblivious Wolverine.

"I haven't told him yet."

"Good. Once this storm passes, we will. This will only make him mad. That won't rectify the situation one bit."

"Now read this about Experiment 13."

I lean back down and begin to read the file. Halfway through, my jaw goes slack.

"We need to get back to New York as fast as we can."
IC Colossus

Conner is tearing choppers out of the sky, Pierce is shocking soldiers into submission, Magneto pistol whips them with their own weapons, and I'm doing what I do best. It seems we're going to make short work of these guys. I only hope that the girls got the young kids out safely, and that Bobby protects Xavier.

Of course when things seem to be going the best is when they tend to turn to ****.

"ENOUGH!" someone yells behind me. I turn and receive the hardest punch I've ever gotten. It sends me flying through the air and through the wall of the mansion. I shake the cobwebs out of my head, and find one of the Avengers standing in the middle of the melee.

Ares.jpg

Before I can blink, Conner engages Ares in hand to hand combat, and the two seem to be beating the snot out of each other.

Brushing the debris off of me, I stand between Magneto and Pierce, "So Luthor sends one of his pets after us."

"Yea...and he's not alone."

The helicopters have all retreated. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the new sound that's filled the night. This time it's like rockets landing at the Xavier Institute, but the forms that cause the sounds are much, much more frightening.

440px-Sentinels_head.jpg

Sentinels

I grit my teeth and lift one of the Sentinels up off the ground. I hold my hand out and ball it into a fist. The Sentinel follows suit, crumpling up into a gigantic metal ball and falling to the ground. Pierce begins attacking the robots with lightning strikes while a rejuvenated Colossus begins ripping them apart with his hands.

Meanwhile Conner and the man who calls himself Ares continue to battle it out. I pull a Sentinel's head off and throw it at another one, the head pierces the robot's chest and the giant mutant hunter falls to the ground.

Ares comes whizzing by me and crashes into the front lawn's fountain.

"Haha!" He proclaims as he stands up in the knee-deep water. "The youngster has spirit, I'll give him that.

Conner zooms by in full flight and strikes Ares with a powerful uppercut. The God of War flies through the air and Conner flies after him, striking him with full-force blows.

The beaten and bruised form of Ares falls to the ground and begins to stand again. Conner lands in front of him with his arms crossed.

"Pack it in, dude. You're done."

"I think not, my friend. I'll tell you what I told a Chinese man many years ago..."

Ares reaches for something on his back and pulls out a razor sharp battle axe.

"All warfare is based on deception."

He swings toward Conner's head, but stops suddenly. It's not my doing, rather Conner's. The axe flies out of Ares' hand and levitates beside Conner. "Right back at you."

Conner lays into Ares with a powerful haymaker, knocking him out and flooring him with one punch. I come up behind Conner and put my hand on his shoulder. "My my, you are talented."

Conner plucks the axe from the air and smiles at me.

"I haven't told anyone about that power yet. I kind of...want to get a better handle on it before I do."

"Well done."

We turn to see a middle-aged man wearing fatigues, a small gun in his hand.

"Latverian Book Club."

I scowl at the strange words. Conner suddenly collapses.

"Nighty night, son. You've done your country proud."

The man turns to me, raising his gun.

"Stay where you are, Lensherr."

"Or what? You'll shoot me?"

I attempt to pull the gun from his hands, but it stays in place. The man smiles and holds it up.

"Like it? It's made with new age polymer, plastics and ceramics. Not a scrap of metal to be found in or on it."

The man levels the gun at me and squeezes the trigger. A dart strikes me in the neck. My knees suddenly buckle and I fall to the ground next to Conner, rapidly losing consciousness.

"Latverian Book Club."

I scowl at the strange words. Conner suddenly collapses.

"Nighty night, son. You've done your country proud."

The man turns to me, raising his gun.

"Stay where you are, Lensherr."

"Or what? You'll shoot me?"

I attempt to pull the gun from his hands, but it stays in place. The man smiles and holds it up.

"Like it? It's made with new age polymer, plastics and ceramics. Not a scrap of metal to be found in or on it."

The man levels the gun at me and squeezes the trigger. A dart strikes me in the neck. My knees suddenly buckle and I fall to the ground next to Conner, rapidly losing consciousness.

Next to me, Magneto and Conner collapse, and a helicopter douses Franklin with a huge amount of water, shorting him out and allowing the man to give him a tranquilizer as well. Before I can react, one of the Sentinels fires a beam from its chest that en capsules me in a ring of energy. I struggle to free myself, but the man who is apparently the leader of the soldiers just laughs, "Try all you want Colossus. You're not going anywhere. Not even your muscles will free you from that prison."

He turns away and takes Magneto's helmet, "Now if you don't mind, I've got a date with your beloved Professor."

IC: Iceman

"You're sure no one knows about these tunnels?" I ask Professor X as I jog behind his wheelchair. We're running from an invasion by what I assume is the military, and I can only hope the kids got out okay.

"Only those that have lived in the mansion know about the escape plans," the Professor assures me.

"I sure hope so," I respond as I continue to push. At the end of the tunnel is supposed to be a garage a few miles outside the mansion's grounds where we keep a stash of cars just in case this situation ever presented itself. I'd be lying if I said I ever expected to use them.

As I near the light at the end of the tunnel, the Professor says, "Bobby. Stop."

"Why?" I respond, gasping for air.

"Because we're trapped. And our enemies have something that is dampening my powers," he says more calmly than I could have ever imagined. "And if we go any closer, I won't be able to send a warning to the team I sent to Canada."

I want to ask him what the bad place he's talking about, but I can see he's deep in thought sending his message. When he breaks concentration, he simply says, "Come. Let's go see who has attacked our home."

I push him a bit further, and I find the garage to be filled with my tranquilized classmates and friends, along with almost fifty soldiers. At their forefront is a man wearing fatigues, glasses, and Magneto's helmet standing next to a small humming device.

"William Stryker," the professor says. "I should have known. Only you would be this foolish."

"Foolish, Professor?" he smiles evilly. "No, I'm not the foolish one. I'm the one that drew you into a trap by letting your little X-Men find the clues of Conner's true origin. I'm the one who goaded them into infiltrating a military base, which gave the president all the reason in the world to sign off on my little search and seizure here. I'm the one who designed this little device that hampers your mind bending ability. No, professor, I believe you are the fool."

The last thing I see before loosing consciousness is the soldiers opening fire, and a myriad of tranqs hitting me.

IC: Nightcrawler

As the Blackbird screams through the night sky, Jean gasps in horror and looks at Beast, "Hank, stop. We can't go back to the mansion."

"Vhy not?" I ask, shifting nervously in my seat. I know what she's going to answer with, and the question is more out of hope that I'm wrong rather than actually not knowing what's wrong.

"Because the Professor just told me if we go back, we're going to be captured like the rest of the school," she replies, tears welling up in her eyes. "They've even taken down Magneto. And they have the Professor."

And there it is. The words that I was expecting, but the ones I was also dreading.

I wake from a four hour nap more refreshed then I ever could have imagined. I stretch out my sore and aching muscles and slip back into my spider-suit, which smell worse than anything I've ever voluntarily worn.

As I exit my room, Reed stops me, "The Black Widow left a message for you. Said the deal was on and she wanted to meet with you as soon as possible. The same building as before."

I nod and head for the roof. As I pass through the living area, I see Johnny and Jamie passed out on the couches, and Supergirl and Robin gone, as I had told them to be. Glad to know they listened, even if they probably didn't like it.

It's a short swing towards the building where I met the SHIELD agent for the first time, and I find her now with a helicopter powered up and waiting behind her, "Get in." After she sees my hesitation, she adds, "I swear the deal's on. You're not gonna be hurt if you come with me."

Realizing I don't have much of a choice, I climb into the craft and we take off. It's an odd sensation, flying over New York without webslinging. But it's kind of a welcome one, considering how tired I currently am.

As the chopper begins to descend, I find a humongous CDC/SHIELD tent city underneath me. Agents and doctors rush around Fear Gas patients who thrash around on restraint gurneys. As the Avenger and I hop out of the chopper, I joke, "This is like some straight up zombie move stuff. You know that right? I mean could you guys have gone with anything more stereotypical?"

"Just follow me," she responds coolly. As I walk through the base beside her, I can't help but feel the multitude of staring eyes on me. I'm the enemy to them. There's no denying that. And knowing that I can walk through their encampment without reproach must kill them.

And I love that.

We enter a tent, and I find Jonathon Crane, also known as the Scarecrow, strapped down to a table, laughing at a man interrogating him, "I told you, I have no idea how I got here. Last thing I remember is Arkham."

"We caught him last night," she says, shaking her head. "Says he has no recollection of last night's events. And out west, we caught Sergei Kravenoff with a gun filled with fear gas darts. He shot one into Bruce Banner, and well, you can imagine how that ended." She walks over towards a table and picks up a container, the contents of which are not surprising. More of the red, symbiote-like substance, "Both of them had these on their necks."

"I'm not surprised," I respond. "But I need that sample. I need to make sure we're dealing with what I think we're dealing with."

"I don't know if I can agree to that," a voice says from behind me. I turn to find the man who was just interrogating Crane.

"And who are you?" I respond. "Wait, let me guess, another one of Luthor's cronies? Man, you guys multiply like rabbits."

"Funny," he responds, obviously not amused. "My name is General Sam Lane. And I'm the new director of SHIELD."

I laugh, and look over at the New York skyline, as smoke from the night's fires still looms over it like a blanket, "Man, you guys sure are doing a bang up job."

"Insult me all you want, Spider-man," he responds angrily. "You aren't getting the slime."

"If you want this to be over you will," I say. "Whatever is happening, it wants me. Meaning I need to figure this out."

"Well, if it wants you," he responds, motioning. Instantly, the guards train their guns on me, "Why shouldn't I just have you killed?"

"Because of you do that, it'll just turn its attention elsewhere. This thing doesn't think like us. It's volatile and unpredictable. And the only way to make sure this chaos doesn't spread is by destroying it."

"And what do I get in return for the slime?"

"The Fear Gas antidote. We can't restore order without it, and even Reed Richards doesn't have the means to produce enough of it."

It's risky, putting this bargaining chip on the table this early, but I need that piece of symbiote. If Venom is lying, it's the only way I can find out.

"Deal," the General replies. "Have Reed bring me the antidote, and we'll get on producing it."

After returning to the Baxter Building and letting Reed know about the deal, I head towards Venom's cage and place the piece of symbiote on a table in front of him.

The red ooze slithers in the glass container and seems to act aggressively towards the black hulking figure in the cage.

"Tell me what the bad place this is," I command the being that hates me more than anything in the world.

As the Blackbird screams through the night sky, Jean gasps in horror and looks at Beast, "Hank, stop. We can't go back to the mansion."

"Vhy not?" I ask, shifting nervously in my seat. I know what she's going to answer with, and the question is more out of hope that I'm wrong rather than actually not knowing what's wrong.

"Because the Professor just told me if we go back, we're going to be captured like the rest of the school," she replies, tears welling up in her eyes. "They've even taken down Magneto. And they have the Professor."

And there it is. The words that I was expecting, but the ones I was also dreading.

"Oh, my stars and garters."

I curse myself even more and grab the controls to the Blackbird, slowing the throttle and changing directions away from the east and New York.

"Listen," Logan says from the back. "It's on the news."

He turns up the radio and we all listen to the news report.

"This just in from NBC News, we have reports from New York tonight, about an operation the United States military, SHIELD, and the FBI have carried out against a sect of hostile mutants. Reports are coming in, but it is believed that the government raided a facility on the ouskirts of Salem Center, New York. That is in Westchester County, just north of New York City. According to the reports, the facility was a training area for militant mutants. While the number of mutants captured or killed is unclear, one report has informed us that mutant terrorist Erik Lensherr better known as Magneto was captured in the raids. The sources tell us that this raid was done in retaliation after an attack against US military personnel. The White House has confirmed that President Luthor is preparing to address the nation within the hour. We'll have more details as they come in, so stay tuned to NBC news as this story develops."

Logan turns the radio off and I lean back in the chair, unsure of what to do or even where to go. We're terrorist now, wanted terrorist.

"What do we do, Hank?"

"We can't stay up here in the air forever, Bub. What's our plan?"
"Our plan?...I can think of only one thing to do. Something so unconventional, I doubt it's part of their plan."

"What?"

"We double and trip check the Blackbird's cloaking shield and we go to Washington D.C. He's the only one who can help us."

"Wait a moment. You mean-"

"Yes, Jean. It's time for me to quit pretending to be something I'm not. We need to speak to the X-Men's true leader. Scott."

Detective Crispus Allen leans against the open doorway of the file room. Renee Montoya turns around, and gasps in surprise at Allen standing there, dropping the files in her hands.

"Dammit, Crispus!"

"Heh, so much for all that police training."

"Very funny." She bends down to pick up the papers.

"I'll give you a hand." Crispus bends down as well.

"I should make you pick it all up."

"Heh. Just came to tell you, he struck again."

"What? Again?! What does that make? Six, Seven?"

"Eleven."

"Just tonight? Jesus, something must have gotten under his skin."

"Tell me about it. Grogan himself is going to this latest one. He knows this is going to stir up a ****storm with the big wigs on both sides of the law."

Commissioner Grogan steps out of his car. All the officers around the scene know to give him a wide birth. Saying Grogan is upset is a serious understatement.

He walks over to the crowd of police, looking up past the fire engine ladder as he does so. Hanging from the roof of the building, tied together, are a half dozen thugs, the fire department crew trying to figure out the best way to get them down.

"Commissioner," the detective on scene says, "um...we tried to pull them onto the roof, but they're actually tied off to one of the gargoyles below it. We couldn't figure out a safe way to-"

"I don't care," Grogan says through gritted teeth.

"Um, yes sir."

Grogan fumes as he watches, getting angrier by the second. Finally, he marches away from the scene, and back towards his car, whipping out his cell phone.

"Flass! I want this ended now! I'm tired of dealing with the blowback of **** he keeps stirring up!"

"I want the Batman stopped. And I don't give a damn how!"

Doom leads Psylocke into the League's command center. I thought the setup Tony provided back home was impressive. He is a multi-billionare, and among the world's most brilliant minds. But I guess having the wealth of an entire nation, and an equally brilliant mind, has its advantage.

The room is massive, and still probably not one of the larger ones in the palace. Computers and screens cover all the walls in the circular room. Why we need all these screens is still a mystery to me. There's at least five times the screens the whole team could possibly cover at once.

Doom and Psylocke step down to the lower section to where our round table sits. The table was my idea, brought over from the JSA days. A place where League members could sit as equals and talk or plan. Doom wasn't too keen on the idea, but he came through when I insisted.

I walk up to the pair, addressing our newest member. "Feeling a bit overwelmed, Betsy?"

"I suppose it shows?"

"Just a bit. But you'll get used to it, sort of. Let me introduce you to the others." I lead Betsy down to the lower level, across the room, and back up to the main computer terminal. I talk as we walk.

"Pete and Fox are out in Germany right now. Apparently a ragtag Neo-Nazi group got a mutant to join them and are causing trouble." She gives me a strange look. "Yeah, the irony's not lost on me either."

"This is Sage, our tech expert and computer guru. Our eyes in the sky, if you will."

Sage turns in her chair and gives Betsy a nod. "Nice to meet you, but I'm a bit busy." She turns back to the screen and keeping tabs on Fox and Wisdom.

"She's like that when we're on a mission," I say teasingly. Sage ignores me, but I see the small smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth.

"Hi!"

"And this is Meggan." Meggan is almost bouncing in excitement at meeting our new teammate. Hey youthful energy is infectious. She reminds me a lot of Dinah-

A feeling of sadness washes over me, but I push it away. Our relationship has been strained ever since she left to join the Avengers. And even after coming back to the League, things haven't been the same.

But I push the thoughts away, and focus on the present.

Doom interrupts us. "Meggan, why don't you show Ms Braddock around, and to her room. Tomorrow will be a big day, after all."

"Come on! I'll show you everything. You should see the kitchen...it's HUUUUGE!"

Betsy gives me a pleading look as Meggan literally pulls her away, but I just smile. Meggan will grow on her. She grown on everyone.

"Big day?"

"Indeed. You'll be recruiting our last member. It should prove to be a powerful addition."

"Sounds good. So who is it?"

"Black Adam..."

Even Sage turns around to look at us when Doom makes his pronouncement.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a second there." I can't believe Doom is suggesting this. "Black Adam? There are so many problems with that idea."

"Enlighten me."

"Sure. Firstly, he's a prisoner of SHIELD."

"Actually...he's not," Sage says. "He escaped some time ago and returned to Khandaq."

"Neither President Luthor nor SHIELD wish to risk another international incident. The Avenger incident did not ingratiate them with the public."

"Okay. Well...how about the fact that Adam can't be trusted. At worst, he's a walking machine of devistation with the power of Superman. At best...he's only a couple of steps away from being that."

"Which makes him the perfect choice for the team. We are sorely lacking in power and strength. Abilities Adam has in more than sufficient quantities."

"Which means we won't be able to stop him when, not if, but when he decides to turn on us and do things his own way."

"Doing so would only provoke a battle with us, and likely bring down the wrath of all of Europe, the Justice League, and the Avengers. No, more likely, Adam would just leave and return to his land."

"Oh, well that just sounds like a fantastic idea."

"You are, of course, under no obligation to agree with me or bring Black Adam into the team. But, once the criminals of Europe realize Black Adam is a member of our League...how willing do you think they would be to act against us?"

I drop out of superspeed, looking over the barren landscape, thinking for the thousandth time how bad an idea this is.

"Welcome to Khandaq," I say to myself.

Prologue

"Where have you been?" Lois says as she slides into her desk in front of me. I've been away from work the past few days at the fortress thinking about my little chat with Nick Fury. Spending time in the Arctic really relaxes me, and I'm back at the planet refreshed. "Did your favorite cow die, Smallville?"

I smile at Lois. She'll never let go of my farm boy persona, and at this point, I never want her to. "No, Lois. I went to see Ma and Pa. It was their anniversary." That's not a complete lie. I did visit them for their anniversary, but only for a short while.

"Well, I hope your nice and rested on that country air," she responds, not looking up from her computer. "I've got an interview with my father today if you're interested. I'm sure you've heard, but he's become the new leader of SHIELD."

I had heard, and it's not going to make things between Lois and I any easier. But going along with the interview gives me an opportunity to get a read on the man more than the fleeting run in I had with him at Lois's place.

"Sure, sounds like it'd be a great story," I reply, pushing the glasses up on my face.

"Great," she responds, packing up her briefcase. "But remember, I'm first on the by-line."

Meanwhile in Washington DC

"This better be good, Ross," General Lane says to his old friend as they walk the corridors of Ross's secret facility. "I've got a meeting with my daughter in a few hours."

"Good isn't necessarily the word I'd use to describe the situation, Sam," Ross replies as a retina scanner opens the door to where Ross's project is held. Lane remembers it well, the mutating of a soldier to become the government's secret weapon against metahumans.

But as the door slides open, the sight that meets Sam Lane's eyes is not the all-American boy that signed up for the program, but a hulking grey brute covered in spikes, blades, and scales. Lane stares agape for moments before finally saying, "My God, Ross. What have you done?"

"We don't know," he responds with a sigh. "The mutation didn't take hold as we would have hoped. He started to grow, and as he did he became uncontrollable. Eventually, he killed two of our scientists. So we put a bullet in his brain. As you can see, that didn't work too well. He came back to life. Don't ask me how. So we tried the same thing again. But it didn't even phase the bastard. We've tried over 100 ways of killing the damn thing and so far nothing has done the trick. And each time we take him down he just comes back. And the same thing never works twice."

Thoughts race through the SHIELD Director's mind at a mile a minute, but no words come to his mouth. And then, he finds the ones he was looking for, "You've made another Hulk, Ross. But this one can't be killed. How the bad place are we going to justify this to the American people?"

"They're never going to know about it," Ross smiles as the room where the sedated monster now lies restrained begins filling with what seems to be liquid metal. "We're encasing him in lead and dropping him in the middle of the ocean. Let's see him get out of that one."

As the molten lead continues to rise around the beast, Sam Lane can't help but feel his heart filled with dread. Something dark lies on the horizon, and the General feels this is the cause.

Superman
~Doomsday
~

**********​

After returning to the Baxter Building and letting Reed know about the deal, I head towards Venom's cage and place the piece of symbiote on a table in front of him.​

The red ooze slithers in the glass container and seems to act aggressively towards the black hulking figure in the cage.​

"Tell me what the bad place this is," I command the being that hates me more than anything in the world.​

"Where did you get that, Parker?" Venom asks, but continues talking before Spider-Man can respond.

"That is part of a symbiot, but it is not a part of us. It is...our offspring."

I smile and wave at the applause as I stand up from my seat and take my place behind the podium, displaying a happiness I don't really feel and can't afford to display. The few press that were invited take pictures as I shake hands with the Gotham Business League. I even spot Vickie Vale. Although, how could I miss her in a dress like that. I suddenly find my thoughts drifting to-

"Their waiting, Bruce," Lucius whispers from his seat.

I regain my exposure and give the crowd another wave. "Thank you for your kind welcome. And I also want to take this opportunity to express my deepest thanks to all the well-wishes we received after the news of my ward's polo accident came out. Every parent knows that the worst feeling in the world is when your child is sick or injured, especially when what should have been a fun-filled outing takes a tragic turn. And while I may not be Dick's biological father, I can't help but consider him the son I never had. But you'll all be glad to hear that he's back home, resting comfortably, and is expected to make a full recovery." The applause from the audience brings a real smile to my face.

"Thank you. Lastly, I'm glad to see all this support for my campaign for a better Gotham. Almost as glad as my campaign manager is to see your generous donations to my war-chest."

The audience laughs, and I smile along with them.

"Although, I expect his gratitude to go away once I tell him that I'm not using a single dime from tonight's fundraiser for my campaign."

An audible murmur spreads across the audience. "Don't worry, I'm not keeping it for myself. It's not like I need the money," I say with a wink. This gets some of the light laughter back.

"As fellow businessmen and entrepreneurs, we all know the importance of using debt to expand our businesses. But we also know how much stronger a company that doesn't have to rely on debt can be. And that goes doubly for political debt. Which is why I intend to fund my mayoral campaign with nothing but my own money. In this way, I can freely represent all the citizens of our fine city equally, with a clear conscience."

"So all the money collected tonight will be donated to various Gotham charities in the name of all those who are attending. The people deserve to know that they can trust their leaders, political and business. They need to know that we don't just look out for our shareholders, but for them as well, our customers. Because, without them, we, and our city, would cease to be. A strong people makes a strong economy makes a strong city makes a strong people. It's a virtuous circle that I intend to put the city on the path towards. And I can't do it without your generous help."

"So, when you all go back to work Monday, remember that, while we're all mandated to make a profit, we do it by serving the people. They give us their hard earned cash to improve their lives, and the least we can do is give them their money's worth through our businesses, and through our government. Thank you."

I get a resounding applause as many of them start standing at their seats.

"Good speech," Lucius says as I walk back to my seat.

"You've just got to know how to talk to businessmen, that's all. Always lead with their wallets..."

I grimace as I pull my gloves off. I plunge my fists into the bowls of ice water, and let the cold numbness replace the pain and bring the swelling down.

"Thank you, Alfred."

"You're welcome, sir. Now...are you quite through punishing yourself?"

"I don't know-"

"You know full well what I mean, sir. What happened to Master Richard was not your fault."

"If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't be Robin. And he wouldn't have taken on Venom."

"And if it wasn't for Robin, there are a number of people in Gotham who would not be alive today. Taking your anger out on yourself will accomplish nothing."

"Seems to me that, if anything, I'm taking it out on Gotham's criminals."

"Gotham's crooks and thugs are only the tools you use for your self-recrimination."

I remain silent.

"Expecting that using utensils may be difficult at the moment, I prepared this healthy protein shake for you, not that I expect you to treat yourself in a healthy manner. Just think of it as helping your body to heal so you can go back out to punish yourself sooner rather than later."

"That's quite enough, Alfred."

"Of course, sir. Feel free to contact me if you need help applying the bandages to your hands. I'll be sitting with Master Richard. Something you should probably be doing yourself."

Alfred walks up the stairs to the mansion, leaving me alone in the cave with only the sounds of the computer for company...

The soldiers escort me into the great hall of the palace. I ignore the tightness of the cuffs around my wrists as they march me towards their country's leader. The hall is empty except for the overwhelming presence of the man who sits on the throne.

"Black Adam," I say with a respectful nod as the procession stops.

"Jay Garrick. Flash of the Justice League of America." I take note of the way his say justice. "Should I take your presence hears as a sign of another invasion by your country."

"Hardly, Lord Adam. Is it lord? I'm not sure of the proper honorific."

Adam raises an eyebrow. "At least you show me the respect of trying. Adam will be fine, for now." He motions for the guard to unlock my bindings, but I just hand him the cuffs I've already phased through. Adam almost smirks. Almost.

"Why is the League here?"

"Well, a League. Not exactly the League."

Adam remains silent. "I'm helping to start a new group. A Justice League Europe."

The silence continues.

"We'd like your help."

"To build your League?"

"To join it."

The Shi'ar Imperium is vast. And while not at the peak of its power or size, it remains one of the most powerful empires in the universe. it has countless allies, and almost as many enemies. It's citizens have enjoyed cycles of peace and war. And while they've lost battles, they've never been defeated.

Over three centuries ago, the 144th Battlegroup, reinforced by the 17th and 30th Honor Squadrons engaged the Kree Sigma Contingent over the vast and mysterous energy resources detected in the Vega star system. The battle was fierce and lasted for half a dozen cycles with neither side gaining an advantage, and earning only mounting losses. Until something happened. Something unexplained and even more mysterious than the energy they had been fighting over.

Only two squads of Shi'ar fighters and a lone attackship survived to report what happened. The rest of the Shi'ar fleet was destroyed, while the entirety of the Kree forces simply disappeared.

Three days ago, the Kree fleet reappeared in the Vega system. From their perspective, no time had past and the war was still raging. One day ago, after securing the system, the bulk of the fleet attacked the nearest Shi'ar outposts, reigniting a long dead conflict, and plunging two civilizations back into bloodshed.

And twenty-three minutes ago, the Kree fleet lost contact with the ships left behind in the Vega system. The ships that were annihilated by the collapse of the space-time continuum in the sector...

I bright light, and a sound like a mini-sonic boom, crack open the sky above the city. A figure emerges from the light just before the portal snaps shut behind him.

"Ah. Washington, D.C. What better place to make my first appearance and get my name on the map. Time to start my new life, free and clear. Yep, I'm gonna own this world."

"Sir...I believe this is London, not Washington."

"Can't wait to start making some real money. I bet there are tons of lovely, lovely ladies who'll...say what?"

"This is London, sir. You know...in England."

"...I told you to set the coordinates of the sphere!"

"And I said there wasn't time to properly calibrate the sphere's systems."

"Well, it's not my fault the security guard was early on his rounds!"

The man sighs, but quickly puts on a rather dashing smile and looks out over the city, even though it's the wrong city.

"Doesn't matter. Every one's going to know my name anyway. They'll all be talking about Booster Gold soon enough..."

I watch the monitor intently. The instant my sensors alerted us to a temporal disturbance, Sage had the nearest security camera trained on the incident. There isn't any sound, but the image of this man and the device floating next to him is more than enough.

"This should prove very interesting..."

"Yes, Jean. It's time for me to quit pretending to be something I'm not. We need to speak to the X-Men's true leader. Scott."

Washington D.C.

I shift nervously in my seat as Dr. McCoy sits comfortably in his. We're bother wearing our image inducers, waiting for Scott. We're using the same cover we used before, a pair of reporters wanting information, this time about the life of a registered superhuman. It was easy enough to get the interview. At first that worried me, but Dr. McCoy insists that it means they're eager to spread lies through Scott.

After a few moments of waiting, the former leader of our team walks out and shakes our hands. When he shakes mine, a knowing look crosses his face, but he quickly masks it with a smile, "Gentlemen, nice to see you. Shall we start with the interview?"

"Actually," I say in my best American accent, "we were hoping to talk to you out and about in out great capital. It'll make for better pictures and things of that sort."

"Sounds great."

We head out into the city, and begin traversing the National Mall. Once we're somewhere Scott believes we won't be overheard he says, "What are you guys doing here? You're public enemies now."

"Ve need to speak with you, Scott," I respond. "Ve don't know vhat to do."

"Where did you get that, Parker?" Venom asks, but continues talking before Spider-Man can respond.

"That is part of a symbiot, but it is not a part of us. It is...our offspring."

The revelation hits me like a ton of bricks. An offspring? But how can that be. The symbiote has been on earth without another of its kind for so long. Of course, I have NO idea how the thing reproduces, so I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised...but still.

"How did you have an offspring?" I ask incredulously. "How long have you known? And how long have you been working with it?"

I need to know what I'm up against. This thing obviously has more powers than Venom. Even he looked surprised when I asked him about the controlling of multiple hosts. If this second symbiote can do even more than the enemy that almost ended me, I need to be ready. Well...as ready as I can be.

The revelation hits me like a ton of bricks. An offspring? But how can that be. The symbiote has been on earth without another of its kind for so long. Of course, I have NO idea how the thing reproduces, so I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised...but still.

"How did you have an offspring?" I ask incredulously. "How long have you known? And how long have you been working with it?"

I need to know what I'm up against. This thing obviously has more powers than Venom. Even he looked surprised when I asked him about the controlling of multiple hosts. If this second symbiote can do even more than the enemy that almost ended me, I need to be ready. Well...as ready as I can be.

"My other did mention that it reproduced not long after our battle in Gotham. However, we didn't think it relevent as it wouldn't survive without quickly finding a host...which it appears it has. But we haven't been working with it Parker...if we have been, we can assure you...you would be dead."

"My other did mention that it reproduced not long after our battle in Gotham. However, we didn't think it relevent as it wouldn't survive without quickly finding a host...which it appears it has. But we haven't been working with it Parker...if we have been, we can assure you...you would be dead."

Terrific. Two symbiotes for the price of one. It's like a really effed up version of the Price is Right or something. I can just imagine that announcer guy screaming, "A BRAND NEW SYMBIOTE." You know...that's kind of a funny thought. I'd probably chuckle right now if I didn't think it'd cause my lung to collapse.

I stand and leave Venom for now, pondering what I have to do. It's just then, that my phone rings, "Hello?"

"Oh thank God you are okay," Gwen's voice sobs from the other line. "I can't believe it Pete. So much destruction...so many people..."

Gwen's voice gives me a bit of a boost at this point. I wish I could collapse into her arms at a time like this, but my decision to send her and Aunt May away looks better and better each passing moment. Two symbiotes running around the city means I'm basically dead meat. I don't need the same to happen to them.

"Gwen, I love hearing your voice, but I need to go," I respond. "I need to figure out how I'm going to-"

"Spider-man!" Reed calls as he enters out makeshift prison. "Sandman and Rhino have been spotted downtown tearing the place apart."

"Gotta go, love you!" I spout into the phone before heading towards what could be one of my last battles.

Superman
~Doomsday~

Previously

"My God, Ross. What have you done?"

"We don't know," he responds with a sigh. "The mutation didn't take hold as we would have hoped. He started to grow, and as he did he became uncontrollable. Eventually, he killed two of our scientists. So we put a bullet in his brain. As you can see, that didn't work too well. He came back to life. Don't ask me how. So we tried the same thing again. But it didn't even phase the bastard. We've tried over 100 ways of killing the damn thing and so far nothing has done the trick. And each time we take him down he just comes back. And the same thing never works twice."

Thoughts race through the SHIELD Director's mind at a mile a minute, but no words come to his mouth. And then, he finds the ones he was looking for, "You've made another Hulk, Ross. But this one can't be killed. How the bad place are we going to justify this to the American people?"

"They're never going to know about it," Ross smiles as the room where the sedated monster now lies restrained begins filling with what seems to be liquid metal. "We're encasing him in lead and dropping him in the middle of the ocean. Let's see him get out of that one."

Days Later
Laurentian Abyss
Off the eastern shore of Canada

The creature surfaces with an immense roar. No longer human, it begins to swim for shore. It can sense the land mass that is teaming with life. And it has one desire, and one desire only, to maim and destroy that life.

But one other desire overpowers that. Its desire to destroy Superman, some directive implanted in him when he was a human. That was only months ago, yet it feels like a millennium now. In its mind it plots a course towards Metropolis and continues to swim.

Hours Later

After stopping three armed robberies, a mugging, and two rapes on my lunch break, I speed into a bathroom and change into my work clothes. Exiting with that big, goofy, Clark Kent smile on my face, I head back towards my desk.

Lois and I just returned from Washington yesterday after interviewing her father, who is now the man who has dedicated his life to hunting me. We went to dinner after the interview, and I can't tell you how many times he called Superman "public enemy number one". It took all my self control not to say something. But luckily, Lois disagreed enough with her father for the two of us.

But as I take a seat at my desk, Lois is hurrying to gather her things. I adjust my glasses, "What's going on, Lois?"

"You haven't heard?" she says as she stuffs her laptop into her bag. "Honestly, what do you do on lunch breaks, Smallville? Turn off your brain? Some creature just surface in Boston and tore the town apart before heading back into the ocean. It could almost be a Godzilla movie if we had bad dubbing. I'm going to check it out."

Sometimes I wonder about Lois. Tragedies get her excited, rather than the normal human response. Then again, Lois is far from a normal human, which is probably why I'm so attracted to her.

"Be careful Lois," I respond, my worry not a feint. "Who knows if it could come back."

"Relax, Smallville," she says with her trademark smirk. "I'm just going to check it out."

"Sure," I nod.

And so am I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"