One Universe: Season III IC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I thought it best we had a talk, Jim. You must have a lot of questions."

I holster my gun and look at the man standing before me, he keeps the other side of his face hidden, but I've heard what it looks like.

"Is...it true what the papers are saying? What you did to Maroni, Falcone, and all their lieutenants?"

I holster my gun and look at the man standing before me, he keeps the other side of his face hidden, but I've heard what it looks like.

"Is...it true what the papers are saying? What you did to Maroni, Falcone, and all their lieutenants?"

I let out a sigh, looking down at the ground. It seems so long ago, now, like it was someone else that did those things. But it was me. I'm a killer now...

"Yes, it's true. At last, Gotham is free from the shadow of organised crime."

I let out a sigh, looking down at the ground. It seems so long ago, now, like it was someone else that did those things. But it was me. I'm a killer now...

"Yes, it's true. At last, Gotham is free from the shadow of organised crime."

"It may be free from organized crime, but you've helped open the door to madness. Everything we worked for these long, hard months has been thrown aside. You've gotten rid of Falcone and Maroni, but left a vacum to be filled by who? Joker? Scarecrow? You? By stooping to their level, you've become the very thing you were fighting against, you're one of them."

"It may be free from organized crime, but you've helped open the door to madness. Everything we worked for these long, hard months has been thrown aside. You've gotten rid of Falcone and Maroni, but left a vacum to be filled by who? Joker? Scarecrow? You? By stooping to their level, you've become the very thing you were fighting against, you're one of them."

The truth in Gordon's words sting me. It's true, I've sunk to their level. There's blood on my hands now. But I'm better than they were. I did these terrible things... but I did them for the right reasons, didn't I?

"I made a promise to this city, to rid them of Falcone, Maroni, and their kind. I tried to do it the way I thought was right. I dedicated so much time to the legal system, thinking it could give this city justice at last. I had faith in the law, sacrificed so much for an ideal.... and look where it got me. Look what they did to my wife, Jim..."

And then, I turn to face Gordon, letting him see the monster for himself.

TDK4T.jpg

"Look what they did to me."

I raise up my coin so Jim can see it.

"And after what they did to me, they were gonna give Maroni a soft cell in Arkham. Our whole case, everything we worked for, turned into a bad joke! I know now there is no justice to be found, not in the system. Chance, fate. That's the only thing that's fair in this sick, twisted, corrupt world. That's where I found justice at last."

The truth in Gordon's words sting me. It's true, I've sunk to their level. There's blood on my hands now. But I'm better than they were. I did these terrible things... but I did them for the right reasons, didn't I?

"I made a promise to this city, to rid them of Falcone, Maroni, and their kind. I tried to do it the way I thought was right. I dedicated so much time to the legal system, thinking it could give this city justice at last. I had faith in the law, sacrificed so much for an ideal.... and look where it got me. Look what they did to my wife, Jim..."

And then, I turn to face Gordon, letting him see the monster for himself.

TDK4T.jpg

"Look what they did to me."

I raise up my coin so Jim can see it.

"And after what they did to me, they were gonna give Maroni a soft cell in Arkham. Our whole case, everything we worked for, turned into a bad joke! I know now there is no justice to be found, not in the system. Chance, fate. That's the only thing that's fair in this sick, twisted, corrupt world. That's where I found justice at last."

"What you did wasn't justice! It was murder, plain and simple. You're a murderer, Harvey! You call it justice, but it's just revenge."

I scan the surrounding rooftops for the snipers before turning my attention back to my friend.

"Look...just, come with me. It's obvious you haven't been in your right mind since Maroni's attack. Just, follow me and we can get you some help."

"What you did wasn't justice! It was murder, plain and simple. You're a murderer, Harvey! You call it justice, but it's just revenge."

I scan the surrounding rooftops for the snipers before turning my attention back to my friend.

"Look...just, come with me. It's obvious you haven't been in your right mind since Maroni's attack. Just, follow me and we can get you some help."

"Help!? I'm beyond help, Gordon!"

This smug prick! So easy for him to be high and mighty, he's not the one who had to get his hands dirty doing what needed to be done!

"It wasn't revenge! And my mind has never been more right. My eyes have been opened, and what I did was for the greater good. You might not see it now, but you will. A change is coming to Gotham."

I turn away, and start to make my way down the fire escape.

"And if you know what's good for you, Jim.... you'll stay out of my way."

"Help!? I'm beyond help, Gordon!"

This smug prick! So easy for him to be high and mighty, he's not the one who had to get his hands dirty doing what needed to be done!

"It wasn't revenge! And my mind has never been more right. My eyes have been opened, and what I did was for the greater good. You might not see it now, but you will. A change is coming to Gotham."

I turn away, and start to make my way down the fire escape.

"And if you know what's good for you, Jim.... you'll stay out of my way."

I pull my pistol and start to give chase.

KRAK!

A bullet whizzes by my and hits the roof. I fall to the ground and scramble back to the stairwell I came from.

I'm breathing heavy as I open the stairwell door. I lean against the wall and slide to the floor, hanging my head in defeat.

My friend is really gone.

Magneto stopped his attack and looked down at the palm of his hand, taking notice of how the green piece of meteor rock had dissappeared from his hand, and only one person came to his mind who could possibly take it from him in a flash...

"Garrick..." he snarled.

Before the Last Son of Krypton could fully recover from the toxic effects of the radiation, the Master of Magnetism thought this moment to be his last chance to destroy the Defender of Metropolis, he quickly summoned a sharp piece of metal shrapnel, and aimed it at the Kryptonian's neck...

"This ends NOW, Man of Steel!"

*ZZZAAPP!!!*

"AARRRGGHH!!"

Magneto keeled over on his knees at the surge of pain that came with the sudden impact of a ruby red energy blast colliding with his back, and as he turned to find out the source of it, he looked to see a young mutant with a visor over his eyes standing a few feet away.

"I don't think so, Magneto! Not while the X-Men have anything to say about it!"

Magneto stared at the young Cyclops and smirked.

"The 'X-Men', eh? Is that what Charles has named his children now? How utterly amusing... and pathetic."

Cyclops was angered, and he tried to unleash yet another one of his optic blasts, but he was stopped dead in his tracks by Magneto's magnetic pulses. He could feel the iron in the veins of his neck closing in on his airway, choking him.

"Killing you will be a good message for Charles never to interfere in my affairs again."

Just then, Magneto felt a tapping on his shoulder, and as he turned his head, he saw Superman's fist coming at him like a ton of bricks. A hit that was powerful enough to knock his helmet off his white-haired head and Magneto himself down to the Metropolis asphalt. As Cyclops began gasping for breath, Clark took notice and quickly rushed over to help him.

"Thanks for the save back there, son. What was your name again?"

"*cough* Cyc... *cough**cough* It's Cyclops, sir..."

"Well, Cyclops. That was a brave thing you did back there. It's not everyday someone saves my life, so for that you have my gratitude."

"Thank you, Superman, sir."

"No need to thank me, Cyclops. Now let's finish this."

The Man of Tomorrow took the young mutant's hand and both stood facing the mutant tyrant, whom still lied on the ground.

"Give it up, Magneto. Meteor rock or no meteor rock, you can't win. Your forces in all the major cities are all retreating, and your Brotherhood is outnumbered.

"Yeah. Just surrender. There's no need for this senseless fighting..."

supescykejointbannerPNG.png

"NEVER! The mutant race shall reign SUPREME!!!"

The mutant tyrant unleashed a quick burst of a magnetic pulse that sent more pieces of shrapnel hurdling toward the Man of Steel and the leader of the X-Men. Cyclops quickly disposed of one of them with an optic blast potent enough to knock it off course, while Superman melted another with his own eye beams, burining hot enough to liquify it in midair.

"Fine. Have it your way, Magneto. Cyclops?"

"You got it, Superman."

The young mutant pressed the trigger on his visor, and another optic blast came forth. This time, missing the Master of Magnetism, by a mere inch or so, and it collided with a nearby street light behind Magneto.

"It seems Xavier forgot to teach you how to properly aim those eye blasts of yours, boy."

"No he didn't. I hit my target."

Fearing the worst after hearing those words, Magneto turned his head around quickly back to the lightpost, and noticed that the blast concaved the pole enough for it to snap off and come crashing toward the leader of the Brotherhood, to which he quickliy used his mutant power to hold it up and away from him. He then faced back to Superman and Cyclops, and laughed at their effort.

"HAHAHA!! You think that a mere lamppost, composed of metal no less, could defeat the Master of Magnetism!?!"

"No. But it did make a good distraction..." The Last Son of Krypton replied with a smirk on his and his ally's faces as they noticed in the corner of their eye a familiar red, white and blue disc came whizzing toward the mutant supremicist's head.

*CLANG!!*

Then as they expected, before Magneto could counter it, the shield of Superman's teammate, Captain America, collided with Magento's helmet, bringing him to unconsciousness. The Master of Magnetism was down for the count.

"Good timing as always, Captain."

"Sorry for the last minute arrival, Superman. I try not to make it a habit to show up late to a party, but under the circumstances..."

"Fair enough, Captain. I take it things are taken care of down in Houston?"

I throw the Goblin over my head and let go. "Watch your step, and have a nice day." I circle back around once to watch the Goblin crash-land in a dumpster. Hopefully, he won't get away this time. Unfortunately, I can't stick around to make sure of that. Last I checked, the city was still going to Hell.
IMbanner.bmp

Iron Man continued to power his way through the army of Magneto's followers that plagued Manhattan, despite Ares' premature departure and the dissapearance of his fellow Leaguer, Spider-Man. However, after he managed to quickly make work of a mutant who could make the earth move... Literally... He managed to spot the web-slinger once more. The Armored Avenger quickly caught up with him.

"Where on earth were you? You didn't leave me here all alone with an army of mutants and a crazy whackadoo God to go get a spider-perm, did you?"

IMbanner.bmp

Iron Man continued to power his way through the army of Magneto's followers that plagued Manhattan, despite Ares' premature departure and the dissapearance of his fellow Leaguer, Spider-Man. However, after he managed to quickly make work of a mutant who could make the earth move... Literally... He managed to spot the web-slinger once more. The Armored Avenger quickly caught up with him.

"Where on earth were you? You didn't leave me here all alone with an army of mutants and a crazy whackadoo God to go get a spider-perm, did you?"
"Actually, I remembered that I forgot to TiVo American Idol," I joke as I continue slinging alongside Ol' Buckethead. Man, why didn't I say that aloud? I totally should have said that aloud. Is it too late?

"So, what'd I miss, Buckethead?" I ask teasingly.

Ba-zing. I crack myself up.

"Actually, I remembered that I forgot to TiVo American Idol," I joke as I continue slinging alongside Ol' Buckethead. Man, why didn't I say that aloud? I totally should have said that aloud. Is it too late?

"So, what'd I miss, Buckethead?" I ask teasingly.

Ba-zing. I crack myself up.

"Not much. This area's clear, and we've made some headway in taking nearly all of the Brotherhood stationed here in New York. But my satellite uplinks are showing one last little mob of them attacking the Baxter Building, and the Fantastic Four are having quite a bit of trouble with handling them..."

Iron Man's thrusters in his boots roared as he began gaining slight altitude, still keeping his attention focused on Spider-Man.

"Should we go help them out?"

"Not much. This area's clear, and we've made some headway in taking nearly all of the Brotherhood stationed here in New York. But my satellite uplinks are showing one last little mob of them attacking the Baxter Building, and the Fantastic Four are having quite a bit of trouble with handling them..."

Iron Man's thrusters in his boots roared as he began gaining slight altitude, still keeping his attention focused on Spider-Man.

"Should we go help them out?"
"Fantastic Four, you say?" I ask, arching an eyebrow. Not that there's a point to arching my eyebrow. Iron Man can't see it under my mask, anyway. I rub my chin as I continue swinging. "Well, I suppose..."

Oh my God! I'd get to see the Baxter Building?! I'd get to be in the Baxter Building?! The Baxter Building?! Oh my God! It's every nerd's dream! That place is geek heaven! It's like Bill Gates' house meets Disneyland meets Disney World meets...meets...I don't even know what! But it'd be something good, I'll tell you that!

"I mean, I haven't talked to my good friends, the Fantastic Four, in a while, so I don't see where it would hurt to swing by," I say as calmly as I can.

"Fantastic Four, you say?" I ask, arching an eyebrow. Not that there's a point to arching my eyebrow. Iron Man can't see it under my mask, anyway. I rub my chin as I continue swinging. "Well, I suppose..."

Oh my God! I'd get to see the Baxter Building?! I'd get to be in the Baxter Building?! The Baxter Building?! Oh my God! It's every nerd's dream! That place is geek heaven! It's like Bill Gates' house meets Disneyland meets Disney World meets...meets...I don't even know what! But it'd be something good, I'll tell you that!

"I mean, I haven't talked to my good friends, the Fantastic Four, in a while, so I don't see where it would hurt to swing by," I say as calmly as I can.

"Then let's get to it."

Iron Man's thrusters continued to heat up with power, and soon it becam a bright, hot white, and the flight stabilizers within the palms of his armored gloves activated.

"Try to keep up..." Stark finished as he took off at full speed to the heart of Manhattan, where he would find the residence of the Fantastic Four...

"Then let's get to it."

Iron Man's thrusters continued to heat up with power, and soon it becam a bright, hot white, and the flight stabilizers within the palms of his armored gloves activated.

"Try to keep up..." Stark finished as he took off at full speed to the heart of Manhattan, where he would find the residence of the Fantastic Four...
As I swing, I notice that we're heading towards a plume of smoke on the horizon. I immediately begin thinking the worst, but I bite my lip and keep going. Turning the corner, a massive skyscraper comes into view. The upper floors are caved in, and smoke is pouring out into the sky.

"We're here," Iron Man announces in that robotic monotone of his. Obviously, I can't tell what his expression is underneath all that metal.

I land on a ledge and ask, "Where's the Baxter Building? I only see that rundown, old thing." I swallow the growing lump in my throat as I anticipate his response.

"That is the Baxter Building."

My heart sinks. What's even worse than the fact that such a beautiful place was destroyed is the thought that the Fantastic Four might be trapped in there. I hope and pray that they found a way out.

"You think they're--?" I begin, but I cut myself off. Firing a new webline, I state, "Nevermind. Let's go."

OOC: Previously...

hwk_logo.gif

Katar had been standing outside of Shayera's room for quite a while actually, away from the window door. He was afraid, as anyone would be of how she would react. In would walk her one true love, only not quite exactly. Beneath the surface is her one true love, but on the surface is the guise of Carter Hall. Would she believe him? Would she still love him?

The doorknob feels as though it has enough resistance to overcome Katar's grip, but that is because even as he tries to open the door, he does so timidly. The door makes a loud creak as is opens, and Katar steps in. Shayera turns her head over, as she lays on the bed, and speaks.

"Who are you?"

She starts to sit up, a bit worried and defensive as her unknown guest walks closer to the bed. Katar tries to not worry her too much, so he instead takes a step back, and sits down on the chair.

"I am the other half of your heart. The hand in which you seek to catch when you fall, always to be there with you. I am your left wing, that helps you fly high on the Thanagarian skies..."

Katar starts to lean closer, and as he does, Shayera starts to lean back more and more towards the side of his bed. He stops as he notices the discomfort he brings her, and leans back into the chair. Shayera lays there silent still, shocked and terrified. She looks at Katar as he leans his head back, staring up at the ceiling.

His mouth is about to open to speak once more, but instead it quickly shuts, and he covers his eyes with one hand, rocking his head side-to-side. He sits up, leaning forward, and looks at Shayera's eyes once more. Her eyes start to swell with tears almost, and it causes Katar to break down and cry.

"Y-Y-You see...when the plane crashed I-I ended u-u-up in Egypt. Th-th-th-the crash took the life of an American archaelogist of by th-the name of C-C-Car-Carter! GAH!"

Katar stands up from his chair, and turns around, leaning his arms up against the back wall. His bizarre journey back to Earth continues to loop around his mind. The plane crash. His carcass laying next to Carter's. The Nth Metal.

And the Rebirth.

Shayera gets up from her hospital bed, and walks over to Katar. She is hesitant as she puts one of her hands upon his shoudler blades, but it puts Katar to much ease. He turns around, and she touches his jawline with one hand as she looks into his eyes.

"K...Katar?"

"Shayera."

They embrace in a hug, and the couple begins to weep. Two lost souls, now one once again. A shadowy figure wonders about within the hospital bedroom. It is as though the very shadows in the room have come alive, and slowly start to creep towards the two lovers. A voice echos throughout the room.

"Ah, how sweet. The two lovebirds have re-united. I was under the impression only Shayera survived the attack in space."

A form takes shape as the mysterious shadows start to enter the light. A thanagarian wearing a strange black suit makes his presence now fully known.

"Krl Zanz!"

"Ah it is, Shayera my sweet. You see, Byth sent me to investigate. It seems that after your ship was shot down, your comm was still online while Katar's was destroyed. He couldn't take the risk of your survival if he plans to have his overthrow of the Thanagarian Empire to be a success. So as cliched as it sounds..."

Krl Zanz, also known as the Shadow Thief on Thanagar, escapes into the shadows and instantly becomes hidden.

"Time to meet your maker!"

Last edited:
I cackle with glee, glaring at Batman behind those cold, white, withholding lenses.

"You think this is it, Batman?" I ask, spurting blood from my nose. "You think I haven't rigged bombs or gas throughout this sniveling heap of a city?"

I flash my sadistic grin.

"Go on. Try me. Let it go. Push the envelope."

Robin gets ready to punch me in the face, or maybe Batman does, or maybe nobody does and I'm just running my pretty little mouth.

"Ah, ah, ah. Come now. You know hitting me won't get you anywhere."

I stare down at the Joker, running the possibilities through my mind. "You're right again. Hitting you won't do me any good."

The Joker smiles, grinning like an idiot at the thought of finally beating me. "Give him to the police." And just like that, the smile turns to anger.

I enjoy the look as I turn around and walk off, stopping after only a few steps. I kneel down and turn over one of the Joker's thugs, slapping his face a couple of times. He's groggy. I reach into my belt and pull out a small capsule of smelling salts, breaking it under his nose.

"Holy-" I cover his mouth with my face. He looks up with me, his eyes as wide as if he was staring at the devil himself.

"You're going to tell me everywhere the Joker planted one of his bombs." I lift my hand.

"Are you crazy?! Do you know what the Joker-" I cover his mouth again, squeezing hard.

"MMghffmpfhmmfm..."

"It wasn't a question. You are going to tell me everywhere the Joker planted one of his bombs." I bring my face right up to his and not so subtly reach for into my belt.

His eyes get even wider. I take my hand away. "Yes! YES! I'll tell you anything!"

"Good." Two minutes later he's given me every location. I tie the thug up and tape the recording to him with a little note. The NYPD can handle it from here.

I fire my grapnel towards the roof as the police rush into the stadium, guiding the last of the hostages out. I let it pull me into the air and land a few seconds later. I pull out my communicator. "Robin. Meet back at the batmobile. It's finally over."

I let go of the of Mastermind's shirt and let him drop his limp body drop to the ground.

Thanks for the assisst, Chuck.

You are welcome, Logan. I am glad I could be of some service.

Yeah? Well, you want to help some more, how about telling me how the others are doing?

Quite well, actually. Even though the fighting continues, it looks as if Erik has been stopped.

What?! I missed the big fight?

I swear I can hear the sound of Chuck's laughter. There is still much fighting, and the others need you during the clean up.

Yeah, yeah. I'm on my way.

I walk over to the bike and lift it back on its wheels. But there's no point. It's trashed. So I let it fall back over. I look around and don't see a single vehicle that doesn't look like it's been put through the ringer.

"Just great." I crack my neck and start running down the street.

I stop running when I hit the Brownstone. I don't know what this rock is, but I know better than to just leave it lying around. So a run through the old building until I come to the secret entrance to our secure vault. A quick scan and code later, and the door slowly opens.

I stand there for a second as the smell of stale air and age washes over me. It's been decades since the vault was last open, and the sight of so many weapons used against us all that time ago takes me back through the decades.

But I force the memories aside. There's no time for them now. I carefully sit the green rock on a shelf, seal the vault back up, and take off back into battle.

And by the time I arrive, Steve, Cyclops, and Superman are standing over Magneto. "I can't believe I missed it."

I stop running when I hit the Brownstone. I don't know what this rock is, but I know better than to just leave it lying around. So a run through the old building until I come to the secret entrance to our secure vault. A quick scan and code later, and the door slowly opens.

I stand there for a second as the smell of stale air and age washes over me. It's been decades since the vault was last open, and the sight of so many weapons used against us all that time ago takes me back through the decades.

But I force the memories aside. There's no time for them now. I carefully sit the green rock on a shelf, seal the vault back up, and take off back into battle.

And by the time I arrive, Steve, Cyclops, and Superman are standing over Magneto. "I can't believe I missed it."

"Don't worry." I say as I pat Jay on the back.

"You didn't miss much."

I look up into the sky as I hear the sound of rockets. Fury, still wearing his jet pack, lands in front of us with a half-dozen S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in his wake.

"Gentlemen, if you don't mind, I think I'll be placing him in SHIELD custody."

flasbanner.jpg

My name is Wally West.

I am the Flash. The Fastest Man Alive

For the first time in a long time, Wally is not running. He's not trying to get there as fast as he can. In fact, he's trying his hardest just to keep his feet moving. But, finally, he steps up behind Jay Garrick and pats him tentatively on the shoulder.

"Uh, hi Jay." he says, the same little boy that used to be struck speechless by the first Flash.

The wildfire had been raging through Southern California. Already it had burnt through hundreds of acres of forest, killing several firefighters, and showed no signs of stopping, headed inexorably for inhabited areas of San Diego county. I watched the reports with great concern on the morning news. Not the main story, of course. It was pushed down to second billing behind the big showdown between the X-Men and the League and Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants. Compared to that, plain old fire just isn't sexy enough, it would seem. But people risked losing their homes, if not their lives. Momentarily, I felt helpless. A fire like that, it's a force of nature. I couldn't do anything to stop it.

But Thor could.

With a tap of my cane, I was gone, and Thor stood in my place. In a matter of minutes, Mjolnir had carried Thor to California. The storms came with him. Where once there had been drought, rain poured down in torrents, dampening the flames and slowing their spread. For hours, Thor set to work, doing what he could, carrying many families to safety. He could have joined in with the big battle elsewhere, but the mortal heroes apparently had that covered. It was here that he was needed.

He didn't do it for the glory, or the attention. He did it because it was the right thing to do. The following day, word spread that the God of Thunder had helped prevent what was set to be the worst wildfire to hit California since Cedar Park in 2003. And in some papers, Magneto's Brotherhood was bumped off the front page...

Life has been good. After what he did while under the control of Seth, Thor has been working hard to salvage his reputation, and earn back the faith of the people. And he's succeeded. Things are going well for me too. Jane's recovery is coming along well. I told her everything. That I was a host for Thor, the Norse God of Thunder - which went down as well as you might imagine. But I told her I was still me, and that I still loved her, that I'd loved her for a long time. And it's early days yet but... I think we're going to be okay.

I stumble into my apartment after a long day's work at the surgery. Today was hectic, tiring, and on top of it all my leg's been acting up. I find myself leaning a little heavier on my cane than usual. My leg.... I worry it's getting worse. Some of the other doctors call me Dr. House, and I laugh along with them, as if it's all funny and harmless. But they don't know that I'm in pain, all the time. Only time I'm not is when... when I'm not here. When Thor's in my place, and I'm seeing the world through his eyes...

"Good evening, Dr. Blake."

I just about jump out my skin, broken from my thoughts by a woman's voice. I spin around and spot her sitting on my sofa. A short, heavy-set black woman, with a stony expression on her face.

"Or should I say Thor?"

My heart skips a beat. How could she know my secret!? My hand tightens on my cane, ready to transform if needs be.

"Who are you? How did you get in here?"

The woman smirks, standing up and sauntering casually towards me.

"I have my ways. You really should beef up your security, Dr. Blake. And I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself. My name is Amanda Waller, and I'm here on the authority of the President of the United States. May I speak with Thor?"

I'm reluctant, but the voice in my head tells me it's okay. Without another word, I slam my cane into the ground. Waller doesn't flinch as I disappear in a flash of light, leaving Thor in my place, towering over her.

"What do you want with me? Speak quickly, woman!"

Waller looks up at Thor, looking decidedly unimpressed.

"I'm here with an offer, if you're interested. We're putting a team together, one to protect the interests of this country and the world as a whole. One that's regulated, public and official, one with the government backing to police the world in ways these ragtag bands of so-called super teams cannot."

"And you think I should be part of this assemblage?"

Amanda Waller smiles.

"Thor, let me tell you a little about The Avengers..."

DDROM.gif

New York

It's with a heavy heart that I take the flight back to New York. I hear the news of Harvey's murderour rampage in the terminal, from the dozen plus televisions scattered around.

"Matt." Foggy says as he meets me outside the airport.

"I heard....I guess he-"

"Harvey Dent is dead, Foggy. Two-Face killed him. Let's go."

Over the next week, Harvey, Bruce, and Elektra weigh heavy on my thoughts as I go about my normal routine. Foggy and I handling cases during the day, and then going out at night and beating the holy hell out of criminals.

Tonight, I sit on the ledge of a three story apartment, listening and waiting. I ponder on my old friend some more even as I sit here

There hasn't been a sign of Two-Face since he killed Gotham's mob lords, but I know he's out there waiting.

The smell of cordite and the bang of a revolver send the throughts of Two-Face out of my and send me flying down to the crime in progress.

It takes me all of a minute to take the gun from the mugger and break his arm in three places.

On my way back up to the rooftops, I hear a strange noise from a far. It gets closer and closer as I start to run towards it. Suddenly, I can hear something fast cutting through the air like a bullet.

Leaping off the rooftop and swinging with my billy club, I hear the object slow and dip down towards me.

I let go of the club and fall twenty feet to the ground in an effort to escape the missle with a brain.

My body rolls on the pavement, but I can still hear the object whizzing through the air and slowing down as it finally finds me.

Even through my gloves, I can feel the cold, metallic object slip on to my right ring finger and a robotic voice rings out.

Matt Murdock, you have the ability to overcome great fear.

The batmobile comes to a stop in the cave. Robin and I get out, both exhausted, and make our way towards the vault.

"I take it you were both successful in your endevour?" Alfred asks.

I grunt and pull my cowl off, setting it in its place. It's been a long night. No, not night. A long two days. Two. Days. As if stopping the Joker hadn't been enough, Robin and I drove around New York taking out some of the explosives Joker had set. The monster had planted so many it took two days of constant work by the NYPD and us to find them all.

Two days away from Gotham.

Sunrise was still a couple of hours away and all I wanted to do was slip into bed next to Elektra and sleep for the rest of the week.

"I take it you haven't heard the news then." Robin and I freeze in place.

"What news?"

"...Officer Wuertz is dead."

Robin and I look at each other. "How?"

"...Harvey Dent had him killed."

"WHAT?!" Robin swears behind me.

Alfred hands me the latest copy of the Gotham Gazette. Robin reads over my shoulder at all Harvey...Two-Face had done.

I crunch the paper in my hands and rip it apart in anger. "No..." Havery was supposed to be Gotham's hero. The hero that could show his face during the day and give the people hope.

"There's more, sir."

My heart drops any further. "How can there be more?" I say in little more than a growl.

"...the signal is lit."

As I swing, I notice that we're heading towards a plume of smoke on the horizon. I immediately begin thinking the worst, but I bite my lip and keep going. Turning the corner, a massive skyscraper comes into view. The upper floors are caved in, and smoke is pouring out into the sky.

"We're here," Iron Man announces in that robotic monotone of his. Obviously, I can't tell what his expression is underneath all that metal.

I land on a ledge and ask, "Where's the Baxter Building? I only see that rundown, old thing." I swallow the growing lump in my throat as I anticipate his response.

"That is the Baxter Building."

My heart sinks. What's even worse than the fact that such a beautiful place was destroyed is the thought that the Fantastic Four might be trapped in there. I hope and pray that they found a way out.

"You think they're--?" I begin, but I cut myself off. Firing a new webline, I state, "Nevermind. Let's go."

"I agree. Let's find them." Iron Man agreed as the duo went to locate the Four, staring at the pile of rubble that used to be the Baxter Building. As he was sure that Spider-Man did too, Stark hoped that the Fantastic Four didn't suffer the same fate as their home...

"No sign of them anywhe--"

"Flame on!"

"Found them!" The Armored Avenger exclaimed after hearing the voice of Johnny Storm, the Human Torch. As expected, he, as well as Reed Richards, Ben Griim, and his sister Susan Storm, we fending off mutant attackers.

"We'd better go give them a hand..."

GordonBanner.gif

dk0008xl5.jpg

I hate myself for doing this, I don't want to give in. I don't want to admit I need his help, but I do. Dammit, I do.

Six Hours Ago

"Daddy, are you okay?" Barbara frowns slightly as I plop down on the couch, unloosening my tie.

"I don't know anymore. The past week, with what's been going on with Harvey. I don't know what's going to happen, what the future will bring. We were so close with Maroni, and then he slips through our fingers and takes Dent down with him. He gave us all hope of a better tomorrow, but now Gotham will be in the grip of chaos, as the psychos run around and have a playground."

"Who says they'll run free. There's still you, Batman and the Gotham Police."

"But where was Batman when this town needed him the most? Where was he when Harvey Dent's skin was being eaten alive?"

"How about you find out?"

I wait until the sun has finally set before I hit the signal. Leaning against the wall, I hear the swish of fabric from the edge of the roof.

"There you are. We need to talk."

dk0008xl5.jpg

I hate myself for doing this, I don't want to give in. I don't want to admit I need his help, but I do. Dammit, I do.

Six Hours Ago

"Daddy, are you okay?" Barbara frowns slightly as I plop down on the couch, unloosening my tie.

"I don't know anymore. The past week, with what's been going on with Harvey. I don't know what's going to happen, what the future will bring. We were so close with Maroni, and then he slips through our fingers and takes Dent down with him. He gave us all hope of a better tomorrow, but now Gotham will be in the grip of chaos, as the psychos run around and have a playground."

"Who says they'll run free. There's still you, Batman and the Gotham Police."

"But where was Batman when this town needed him the most? Where was he when Harvey Dent's skin was being eaten alive?"

"How about you find out?"

I wait until the sun has finally set before I hit the signal. Leaning against the wall, I hear the swish of fabric from the edge of the roof.

"There you are. We need to talk."

"We do."

MV5BMTMyNTc4NjE4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

I step down from the ledge and join Jim near the signal. There's an empty space where our third member once stood. We both recognize the hole.

"I should have been here."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee