Oscar Nomination for Craig

neobido9999

Sidekick
Reaction score
deo anyone thing Craig has a chance at a Best Actor oscar? Just put to one side the whole "but it's a James Bond film' one second:

* He's in a class/generation of actors (along with Colin Farrel, Guy Pearce and Eric Bana) who has been 'due' for recognition for some time now, with a history of good work (another example would be Clive Owen, who finally got a nom to years ago). Previous bonds weren't.

* He has good connections (worked with Speilberg, Hanks for example). Previosu bonds didn't.

* He has a strong theatre background (only Dalton did before him)

* Genre perforamnces can get recognition (Johhny Depp, Pacino in Dick Tracy, McKellan in LotR - Sigourney Weaver nominated for Aliens, Tommy Lee Jones won for the Fugitive)

*the most emotional performance of Bond we've ever seen

* Craig getting recognition would be a headline friendly story, considering his initial unpopularity, fans and critics doing a complete 180

*Put on weight to play the charatcer in a pseudo-method-y way

* Is playing a literary, as opposed to movie, version of the charcter for the first time in quite some time (if ever, arguably)

* Further to this, for the first time Bond's flaws (his weakness for women, his remoteness, his fundamentaly anachronistical quality, are tied to a well rounded, flawed, character, not a superhero)

* The charcter and the performance has an arc/i] for the for time since OHMSS

Most importantly:

*Will almost certainly get precursor award attention (Golden Globes, maybe Baftas)

Crucially:

*Was unviersally praised in the role. Everyone loved him as Bond

*General conscensus is that he was the best thing in the movie

I accept it's a long shot. But i feel it is possible, which is more than you could say for other bonds

Craig did not remind me of Bond... the guy is average... he doesn't have that charisma or charm that Bond should have... just a hardass... which is fine with me... but it isn't Bond... I don't mind the dark tone... just wish the movie was better... acting was good but the substance wasn't there...

I'd like to see happen and it isn't outside the realm of possibility but i doubt it will

He's more likely to get a supporting nom for the movie Infamous, which I hear he is fantastic in.

neobido9999 said:
deo anyone thing Craig has a chance at a Best Actor oscar? Just put to one side the whole "but it's a James Bond film' one second:

* He's in a class/generation of actors (along with Colin Farrel, Guy Pearce and Eric Bana) who has been 'due' for recognition for some time now, with a history of good work (another example would be Clive Owen, who finally got a nom to years ago). Previous bonds weren't.

* He has good connections (worked with Speilberg, Hanks for example). Previosu bonds didn't.

* He has a strong theatre background (only Dalton did before him)

* Genre perforamnces can get recognition (Johhny Depp, Pacino in Dick Tracy, McKellan in LotR - Sigourney Weaver nominated for Aliens, Tommy Lee Jones won for the Fugitive)

*the most emotional performance of Bond we've ever seen

* Craig getting recognition would be a headline friendly story, considering his initial unpopularity, fans and critics doing a complete 180

*Put on weight to play the charatcer in a pseudo-method-y way

* Is playing a literary, as opposed to movie, version of the charcter for the first time in quite some time (if ever, arguably)

* Further to this, for the first time Bond's flaws (his weakness for women, his remoteness, his fundamentaly anachronistical quality, are tied to a well rounded, flawed, character, not a superhero)

* The charcter and the performance has an arc/i] for the for time since OHMSS

Most importantly:

*Will almost certainly get precursor award attention (Golden Globes, maybe Baftas)

Crucially:

*Was unviersally praised in the role. Everyone loved him as Bond

*General conscensus is that he was the best thing in the movie

I accept it's a long shot. But i feel it is possible, which is more than you could say for other bonds

Dalton was on the verge of Oscar quality in Licence to Kill, regardless of whether he was especially Bond-like, it was still top class acting.

the oscars would never........

im not saying he doesnt deserve it after CR though.......

The Oscars would never recognise a Bond movie in such a way. He was good in CR (not Bond like), but I highly doubt he'll receive a nom for it.

I thought he was Bond-like. Certainly he was the closest to Ian Flemming's creation.

He should get a nom, though. But CR will be seen as a genre film. Animated films seem to be held to higher regard than action films really.

When CR (or any movie in the action/superhero genre) is actually nominated by the Academy for something other than SFX and such, hell will freeze over.

:down

Warhammer said:
When CR (or any movie in the action/superhero genre) is actually nominated by the Academy for something other than SFX and such, hell will freeze over.

Sadly, this is true.

Now....the question is.....SHOULD it happen? We know it won't.....but should it?

I mean, this Bond had layers and layers to him.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Now....the question is.....SHOULD it happen? We know it won't.....but should it?

it should.....

BUT IT WONT

ChrisBaleBatman said:

Like a layered cake. :o

lol he should win. i mean johnny depp was nominated for Jack sparrow...I didnt see that one coming. Plus your right, its about time that the oscars recognized him and his acting skills.

Layer Cake was awesome.

And, if you watch THE JACKET.....Craig pulls that role off incredibly well. Hid his accent pretty well too.

Warhammer said:

Yah, pretty much.

As great as Craig, it just isn't going to happen.

An Oscar nomination....for playing James Bond....as the sixth actor in a 21 film franchise...and not the best one at that.....

NO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"