Oscar Nominees Who Got Robbed

Edd Extraordinaire

Superhero
Reaction score
I noticed somebody make a comment about Gangs of New York getting jipped at the Oscars, and decided to make a thread discussing other actors, actresses, movies, directors, etc. who got robbed at the Oscars.

I posted some in another thread, so here is another one:

Now granted Daniel-Day Lewis did an amazing job in My Left Foot, Tom Cruise was much much better in Born On The Fourth Of July. Don't look at his social status now, because the fact is he was amazing in that movie and got robbed.

Martin Scorsese should have won Best Director for Goodfellas

Ever since seeing A Beautful Mind, I thought Russel Crowe was robbed of the Oscar. They gave it to Denzel Washington for Training Day. Which was a good performance but not Oscar worthy imo. Crowe's performance was incredible and deserved it more for that movie then he did for Gladiator.

In 1969, Planet of the Apes got an Oscar nomination for costume design and an honorary award for make-up effects.
In the same year however, 2001 : A Space Odyssey did't, because the members of the Academy thought the apes in the opening sequence were real... :rolleyes:

OtepApe said:
Ever since seeing A Beautful Mind, I thought Russel Crowe was robbed of the Oscar. They gave it to Denzel Washington for Training Day. Which was a good performance but not Oscar worthy imo. Crowe's performance was incredible and deserved it more for that movie then he did for Gladiator.

Definitely. It was a sham if you ask me. They gave it to Denzel simply because they felt they had to because he was black. He did a much better job in Philadelphia.

Lorianne Bracco definitely got robbed for Goodfellas by Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. She was the same character she was in Sister Act, except louder.

Oh, and Kevin Costner's direction sucked for Dances With Wolves. It boggles my mind how he got it over Scorcese's Goodfellas. And Mary McDonnell was the most blatant slap in the face to the Native American people I've ever seen.

Edd Extraordinaire said:
Definitely. It was a sham if you ask me. They gave it to Denzel simply because they felt they had to because he was black. He did a much better job in Philadelphia.

His performance in Training Day is nothing special. Every rapper can play the tough crooked cop. Seriously. it is not exceptional in any way.

Al Pacino should have won best actor for Serpico

It was the 75th Annual Academy Awards and Nicole Kidman won the Oscar. Great justice? WRONG! The winner should have been Julianne Moore. Her performance in Far From Heaven was far superior compared to Kidman's. Fine, the woman wore a fake nose. Yay! Give her an Oscar! :confused: :(

Kira said:
It was the 75th Annual Academy Awards and Nicole Kidman won the Oscar. Great justice? WRONG! The winner should have been Julianne Moore. Her performance in Far From Heaven was far superior compared to Kidman's. Fine, the woman wore a fake nose. Yay! Give her an Oscar! :confused: :(
I know. I think they gave it to Kidman because she should've gotten it for Moulin Rouge the year before.
What bothers me is that her part in The Hours was the smallest of the three women, yet Julianne Moore was only nominated for a supporting role. She was nominated for a leading role the same year : how could she not have gotten at least one of them while she deserved both ?!

The Oscars that year were awful anyway. ****ing Chicago beating out The Hours and The Pianist ? Puh-leaze !

Edd Extraordinaire said:
Moulin Rouge wasn't that good. Why do people love these crap musicals?

Shiny! Sparkly! Colours! Ewan McGregor!

And Elephant Love Medley. Because that was awesome.

Kira said:

Definatly.

Personally, I thought Ellen Burstyn should have won best actress for Requiem for a Dream, instead of Julia Roberts for Erin Brokovich. Roberts performance was good, but Burstyn's blew me away.

Silence of the Lambs over JFK

Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas (disgraceful)

Shakespeare in Love over Private Ryan

Forrest Gump over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction

Titanic over LA Confidential

"Hotel Rwanda" was robbed at the Oscars:mad:

OtepApe said:
Personally, I thought Ellen Burstyn should have won best actress for Requiem for a Dream, instead of Julia Roberts for Erin Brokovich. Roberts performance was good, but Burstyn's blew me away.

exactly what I was going to say, only in not so nice words.

I'd also add Edward Norton for American History X losing to f***in Roberto Benigni. f***in joke.

Martin Scorsese FIVE ****ING TIMES!

Well not exactly true I suppose...

(Listed in Chronological Order from latest to oldest)

1. Aviator got robbed, Aviator is a stroke of genius, it was merely a glimspe into the mind of an eccentric genius, beautifully shot and made, and just a moving film, but some show-boating tear jerking cliche hammy POS won which was by a remarkably sound director, Clint makes great films too bad Million Dollar Baby wasn't one of them.

2. Gangs of New York was good but the Pianist was better. There were some problems with the film and definately not as powerful as the Pianist, which I need to see again... But GoNY is still a fine film, and I love Lewis's over the top performance

3. Goodfellas vs. Dances with Wolves, it's hard to say. I thought Dances wtih Wolves was a great film, with great performances, and it showed our humanity in an interesting light, while Goodfellas is a great film, I won't say it was robbed, but damn Goodfellas is an awesome film as well. One thing though about Dances with Wolves, it's a bit too long.

4. Last Temptation of the Christ in terms of Directing, I might of had to say go with this over Rain Man, but I haven't seen Rain Man in a while as to which was a better picture, I'd go with Rain Man. I thought LTotC was great film especially for a christian, like myself, it's human examination of Jesus. But some of the performances felt a little forced and at times it dragged a little. But it's another great flick from Scorcesse but again it's a close running.

5. Raging Bull, it's Scorcese's Seven Samurai or Welles' Citizen Kane, it's his masterpiece, what an amazing film. I haven't seen Ordinary PEople so I'll just say damn it was ROBBED! :cmad:

I mean in the end I'm one of those people who goes around saying Scorcese was robbed 5 times cuz his films are amazing but for 3 of those 5 awards it's a close running, Aviator rapes the **** out of Million Dollar Baby though :mad:

JackBauer said:

I'd also add Edward Norton for American History X losing to f***in Roberto Benigni. f***in joke.

But he loves you. *muah* Bellesima!!

JackBauer said:

I think Life is Beautiful is good, but not amazing, like every faux foreign film fan attests to, but it's great simply based on Benigni performance, the guy was a tour de force in that film, he def. deserved it over that ABC afterschool special(which I liked by the way)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"