Homecoming Out with the amazing and in with the Marvel Lounge - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm moving the video game discussion with me.
In my excitement for the Arkham Knight game, I decided to play the Batman Arkham games again, and I love how Nightwing is a bullet timer.
Nightwing and Catwoman fight more like Spider-Man should than Spider-Man does in the Amazing Spider-Man movie games.

No disrespect to Beenox, I respect their effort and them listening to fans, I like most of the combat moves they gave Spidey in those games, and the decision to take luchador style and implement it to Spider-Man.

I think the moves themselves were great in TASM1. The animation transitions were pretty bad though which interrupted any kind of flow in the combat.

To me however, Spider-Man shouldn't focus so much on close combat, but rather be all over the place while fighting regular goons. He shouldn't stay on one place and deliver kicks and punches, he should jump around and be everywhere.

A few moves look awkward when done, and the animation is a bit shoddy.
I agree about Spider-Man's movement, he needs to move from floor to floor with ease during combat, something Beenox won't be able to do under Activision's restrictions.

what is it about Spider-man's combat system they just can't figure out?

...other than reduced animations due to budget cuts

The problem is with development strategy, unlike the Arkham games where Rocksteady makes sure they game is as great as it can be before releasing it, while Spidey's game makers have a deadline to meet whether it's finished or not. I think They should have two teams, one dedicated to make the next spider-man game that's been as lackluster as the more recent ones have been. Then another team of very talented designers to have the goal of making the best Spider-man game possible, to be released when it's ready and finished, using the Arkham games as their inspiration.

And the main point of inspiration I think all superhero games should look to after the arkham games is how smooth the gameplay is. Moving from navigation to combat-stealth all with incredible ease. Something the spider-man games needs, particularly with combat.

Hmmm. I think it has more to do with the amount of options at Spider-Man's disposal--his unique movements, being able to go from the floor to the ceiling to the wall in the blink of an eye and take on baddies from any vantage point as well as shoot webs. And being able to tie as many of those options into the combat system without either creating lag or ruining the flow of the combat.

Plus another thing--Spidey games have been produced by Activision and they give the production teams constrictive time frames with tight budgets. We won't see a quality combat system in a game until those things are increased and given the Arkham AAA treatment.

Activision needed better thought process when they had the license.

And the camera twist, that is another thing that will add to the complaints if the developers do not know how to circumvent that.

Now that the license is taken from them -even the movie license is likely out of their hands- Activision won't handle a thing in future Spidey games.

I'd wager that a proper combat system for Spidey needs completely different controls than regular exploration

Exploration mode: minimal combat control (only stuff like web swing-kick/web swing-grab, basic webbing)
Combat mode: minimal agility control (almost no moves not associated with the fight), dynamic control of webbing moves and takedowns. Whatever that is

When I first played the Arkham games it was clear to me that style of combat, the free flow system, was the perfect type of system suited for Spider-Man. Especially after playing as catwoman. The next developer of the upcoming Spider-Man game needs to have the money and time to spend to properly create a system in that vein based around the unique skill set of Spidey. And like Aziz said, the camera twist is something else that often causes issues. It really just boils down to time and money. Whatever type of combat they incorporate I hope it reaches that same level that Arkham did. Challenging and at the same time very rewarding. It felt like a real accomplishment to become smooth at using the free flow effectively.

Yeah, I love Arkham's system. It's not about if you're able to take them down or not (though challenging, you'll almost never fail), but father about making it feel and look fantastic. The smooth flow of badass martial arts moves is so damn addicting. That's how you make an OP character that is still not boring

Edit: I just remembered the hard mode, where there isn't blue lightning icons to warn you about attacks. That was a whole different kind of fun as well if you want to try it the "underdog that overcomes all obstacles"-way
ALL ABOARD THE SEQUEL THREAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"