pa kent's fear - should it happen in the sequel?

sf2

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, superman didn't reveal himself after donning the cape, because he believed in his father that the people would reject him out of fear. He only revealed himself when humanity under danger. We didn't see this aspect been fully explored. Do we wanna see it in the sequel?

However, if they do this, the tone will be very serious and real. It will show the dark side of the people. And it is exactly the complaints of MOS.

Or should they go the STM / marvel route, the light, easy and funny way that the people will embrace him right away. And they don't have to explore this aspect? like the complaint said just give them a fun movie.

What do u think? Can the audience take more serious tone?

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lex will be involved in trying to stir up distrust of Supe in the sequel.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lex will be involved in trying to stir up distrust of Supe in the sequel.

They could go the other way that people are cherishing superman in the beginning that make lex gone mad...

I mean my real question is...

Can audience and the critics take in more serious tone for superman film? You know like to see massive destruction... n people dying. No more 0 casualty in the movie.

Well, superman didn't reveal himself after donning the cape, because he believed in his father that the people would reject him out of fear. He only revealed himself when humanity under danger. We didn't see this aspect been fully explored. Do we wanna see it in the sequel?

However, if they do this, the tone will be very serious and real. It will show the dark side of the people. And it is exactly the complaints of MOS.

Or should they go the STM / marvel route, the light, easy and funny way that the people will embrace him right away. And they don't have to explore this aspect? like the complaint said just give them a fun movie.

It would be a creative mistake to basically reverse course and go the Marvel route. It would be analogous to how Microsoft did a 180 with their Xbox One policies. It would signal that WB is taking a heavy-handed approach with their creative teams and being reactive to SOME negative criticisms. That would be horrible and get the DCCU off to a bad start.

MoS 2 will (naturally) be a bit lighter, as showed in the final scene with Clark showing up to the Daily Planet. But the tone of Snyder's world should remain the way he's crafted it. And the mature issues involved with rebuilding Metropolis will be discussed. Goyer and Snyder have all but confirmed that they're not just going to sweep the destruction (and probably Superman killing Zod) under the rug. These issues will be expanded upon in the sequel, which will be awesome. :woot:

I don't think after all that destruction, Metropolis' citizens would want to "embrace him right away".

I think in that world there's going to be a divided opinion on Superman, which will stay there for some time. Hopefully in the sequel I would like to see ordinary citizens express their views on Superman similarly to what we saw at the end of Avengers which was a wide spectrum.

I guess Superman needs to accomplish more acts of kindness without the collateral damage for acceptance. Let's see the little things like stopping more street level crime like muggings or things like Sieges or bank robberies or helping old ladies cross the street or saving cats from trees lol, stuff George Reeve's Superman did.

Even then, there's still going to be mixed opinions on him. I think if they bring Doomsday in for a Death & Return of Superman story then people will respect him more as all the citizens will see a man who gave his life to save them.

Last edited:
Well, I can't vote, because I want to see both: one section of people embracing him, and the other against him (as mentioned above, probably stirred up by Lex). But definitely end the movie on the upnote with Superman becoming the mostly beloved and adored hero that others look up to and are inspired by and so on.

They should keep the same tone that was established in MOS. No sense in trying to lighten it up now.

The world should absolutely reject Superman, they would be foolish not to, not just because he's an all powerful alien but that he was being hunted by other aliens, who ended up nearly killing all human life.

This would be an awesome setup for Amanda Waller and SS or Checkmate.

They should keep the same tone that was established in MOS. No sense in trying to lighten it up now.

The world should absolutely reject Superman, they would be foolish not to, not just because he's an all powerful alien but that he was being hunted by other aliens, who ended up nearly killing all human life.

This would be an awesome setup for Amanda Waller and SS or Checkmate.

I agree with u. That the people should treat superman as alien instead of savior.
But can they take it? You know they would say it's too dark. I won't bring my kids to watch this movie... that will hurt the box office result...

They should reject Superman. With Lex playing a part in that. But Superman should try to earn his trust.

With Superman's relationship with General Swanick, I would like to see Superman learn how to be a hero from the soldiers in the military. You know, Clark trying to do the right thing but going about it all wrong. And he hears old vets with the their war stories and what it means to be a soldier of the United States. What it means to serve the country and to serve humanity. Sacrafice, teamwork, honor.

The critics will eat up that patriotic stuff. Have the military thank Superman for saving the day, and Superman replies "No, I have powers, you guys have none and lay your lives on the line to protect the people I love. You're the real heroes" Than he flies away with a monologue about the inspiration he received end with the phrase that he will be the man that make that there will always be a tomorrow. Queue Theme.

I don't think after all that destruction, Metropolis' citizens would want to "embrace him right away".

I think in that world there's going to be a divided opinion on Superman, which will stay there for some time. Hopefully in the sequel I would like to see ordinary citizens express their views on Superman similarly to what we saw at the end of Avengers which was a wide spectrum.

I guess Superman needs to accomplish more acts of kindness without the collateral damage for acceptance. Let's see the little things like stopping more street level crime like muggings or things like Sieges or bank robberies or helping old ladies cross the street or saving cats from trees lol, stuff George Reeve's Superman did.

Even then, there's still going to be mixed opinions on him. I think if they bring Doomsday in for a Death & Return of Superman story then people will respect him more as all the citizens will see a man who gave his life to save them.

Yes, esp. since we got the Jesus analogy quite blatantly. I could see them using something like the "Death of Superman" storyline, with his "sacrifice" proving something to those who doubted him. And then his return/resurrection. (I hope all that isn't too on the nose, though.)

But I don't think it will become light, but remain serious and actually explore the themes it has brought up more in-depth.

But it would be good to other lighter aspects, like the life in The Daily Planet for everyone. Lois and Clark and their relationship to Perry and their work as journalists etc.

Also, I do want to see Superman's attitudes to (human) crimes in Metropolis and around the world. How much he does get involved in robberies, emergencies etc. and then larger things like politics, corruption and organised crime. That could also tie in with Lex.

The audience has ALREADY accepted a more serious tone in MOS.

The audience has ALREADY accepted a more serious tone in MOS.

Yes. I think the complaints were more about the third act's abundance of fighting and effects, not the story or the serious tone.

I think, overall, the serious tone has only helped this new version of Superman. Sure there can be lighter touches here and there but all that stuff like Lois and Clark banter etc. are all going to be there now that Clark at the Daily Planet is established. And it should still treat their work at the Daily Planet seriously.

They should reject Superman. With Lex playing a part in that. But Superman should try to earn his trust.

With Superman's relationship with General Swanick, I would like to see Superman learn how to be a hero from the soldiers in the military. You know, Clark trying to do the right thing but going about it all wrong. And he hears old vets with the their war stories and what it means to be a soldier of the United States. What it means to serve the country and to serve humanity. Sacrafice, teamwork, honor.

The critics will eat up that patriotic stuff. Have the military thank Superman for saving the day, and Superman replies "No, I have powers, you guys have none and lay your lives on the line to protect the people I love. You're the real heroes" Than he flies away with a monologue about the inspiration he received end with the phrase that he will be the man that make that there will always be a tomorrow. Queue Theme.
Excellent post. Wonderful idea. Hope they will see it n pick it up.

I think they should follow exactly Jor-El's message "they will stumble, they will fall, but in time they will follow you in the sun."
This will give a lot of power to Jor-El as a person and if superman is still able to communicate to his consciousness make each of his words very strong and profound.
I'd like to see the world have very mixed feelings towards him, including the government, and the finale of MOS2 needs to be that people accept that they need him, with superman also realising that he needs people.
To build that up they need a threat that doesn't initiate from the fact that Superman is on earth, I'd like that concept retested in MOS3 which challenges the idea of acceptance of superman. Do we really want this guy here, his arrival has triggered this.

Yes. I think the complaints were more about the third act's abundance of fighting and effects, not the story or the serious tone.

I think, overall, the serious tone has only helped this new version of Superman. Sure there can be lighter touches here and there but all that stuff like Lois and Clark banter etc. are all going to be there now that Clark at the Daily Planet is established. And it should still treat their work at the Daily Planet seriously.

It's silly to complain an action hero movie having too much action. The complaiint is about the serious tone and the Implied deaths in the movie.
To them, In a superman movie, nobody should die. He should save everyone including cat in the tree. Thus, no matter how complete the story is, it is not good enough to them.

Back to the topic, how far they should go for the serious tone? Briefly touch on it like showing a few montage of the reaction of the people, or go all the way... showing people r meaner n more dangerous than the kryptonian... like they will use all the dirty tactics to hunt superman down.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Show Superman doing small things that pay off in big dividends: Have him do something like this:
allStarSuperman10-4.jpg

And through something like that, it inspires people to do good.

However, you have someone like Lex Luthor who has evidence that Superman killed Zod and uses it to force people to distrust Superman, that "if he can kill one of his own, then what's stopping him from destroying us?" Thereby creating an us vs. them mentality. I'd love for MOS II to be about outsider/insider perspectives and how Superman has to deal with that.

I hope Pa Kent's fear will become true for some time at least. Which would make the Pa Kent character and death worthy of being there. I was certainly expecting that it would have happened in MOS so the whole Pa Kent arc would have made full sense.

Lex Luthor- Don't talk like one of them, you're not...even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak. They need you right now, but when they don't...they'll cast you out.

;)

You think it would be a little controversial if they had a 9-11 type ceremony for the victims that died in MOS, just a brief glimpse to show that they did?

You think it would be a little controversial if they had a 9-11 type ceremony for the victims that died in MOS, just a brief glimpse to show that they did?

I don't think it is a good idea. People already so mad about the implied death.
Just show their reaction about a super powerful alien living among them would do.

There's reaction panels from random Metropolitans at the end of "Superman: Earth One", volume 1, which were well done and believable. I'd like to have that at the start of the sequel to show public opinion on Superman is fiercely divided.

EDIT: Fitting analogy for how "Man of Steel" as a film divided critics, fans, and the everyday viewer.

Last edited:
Just figured it would add to supes guilt, especially if lex is reading out some of the names, you know?

Just figured it would add to supes guilt, especially if lex is reading out some of the names, you know?

Say there's a marble memorial wall that stretches out through a public park, and on its surface are inscribed the names of every known victim (there are so many it's a work in progress). Superman can visit this alone at night for a character moment.

Your idea's cool, manofsteel4life. Probably not what I personally would choose, but it'd definitely do its job of making Superman feel guilty and introspective, while emotionally manipulating the crowds.

Say there's a marble memorial wall that stretches out through a public park, and on its surface are inscribed the names of every known victim (there are so many it's a work in progress). Superman can visit this alone at night for a character moment.

That could work to, I actually like that....maybe Clark and Lois could go the ceremony, and have Supes show up at the memorial, with lex walking up in the background

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"