pacquiao-mayweather..not gonna happen?

kane9321

oakland's finest
Reaction score
Manny Pacquiao only fueling the Mayweathers' fire by refusing random blood tests
By David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
December 24, 2009, 3:05PM
The longer this impasse goes, the worse it looks for Manny Pacquiao.

If you’re really the pound-for-pound king, if you’re really not using performance-enhancers, then you do exactly what Floyd Mayweather asks. You get yourself poked with a needle on a handful of occasions -- certainly fewer times than Pacquiao has been poked with a tattoo needle -- then make Mayweather pay for his arrogance on the night of March 13.

If you’re the pound-for-pound king, and you didn’t get that way through sophisticated doping techniques for which you know there are masking methods and/or no urine detection technology, you give up a few drops of blood without any knowledge when you might be asked to do so, a few times between now and the fight, then you do your job.

If you’re the pound-for-pound king, you step up and make yourself heard on this issue, and quit letting your promoter and your trainer bellow that Mayweather’s demand is a method of seeking a way to avoid the fight.

Mayweather, the Grand Rapids native, agreed to every contractual tenet.

He accepted a 50-50 split, even though his pay-per-view fights against common opponents greatly outsold Pacquiao’s.

He agreed to pay Pacquiao a $10 million penalty if he comes in even half-a-biscuit or one swallow of his beloved Mountain Dew heavier than the 147-pound limit. That’s astounding, given that Mike Tyson was fined $3 million for biting a chunk out of Evander Holyfield’s ear.

All he asked for in return was random blood testing.

maybe manny has something to hide?

yeah, starting to look a bit suspicious.

This is kinda sounding suspicious on Pacquiao's behalf..

Its hardly the thing to haggle over, its a drug test that is pretty standard & disputing the way the tests are taken is kinda putting a bit of a black mark on Pacquiao's reputation.

As much as I want PBF to beat Pacquio(damn filipinos keep talking crap about Pac being the best of all time, even beating Tyson in his prime! :argh:), I think Pac would beat him. That being said, the refusing random blood testing does seem like he has something to hide, now the talk of suing Floyd for even suggesting it makes it sound fishier. Before the Hatton fight, he had blood work drawn 14 days before the fight, although it was for HIV, Hepatitis testing and he didn't complain then so I don't understand what's the big deal about it for drug testing. Does sound fishy.

I really feel like this is just a case of both sides trying to angle for any and every presumed advantage they think they can attain. It sucks that we have to sit through all the ******** while they iron it out, but it's going to happen. With this much money on the table, it HAS to happen.

This is kinda sounding suspicious on Pacquiao's behalf..

Its hardly the thing to haggle over, its a drug test that is pretty standard & disputing the way the tests are taken is kinda putting a bit of a black mark on Pacquiao's reputation.
Ummm, standard? This isn't standard. The Olympic-style drugs tests have never been done before in boxing. What's standard is the NSAC urine tests, which Pac has passed every time he has taken it. The test Pacquiao is refusing is a demand by the Mayweather team, not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

That being said, the refusing random blood testing does seem like he has something to hide, now the talk of suing Floyd for even suggesting it makes it sound fishier.
It's not like this is something new. Mayweather Sr. has been running his mouth about Pacquiao ever since his disciple Hatton got schooled. Mayweather Jr. claimed the Philippines have the best PEDs.

Last edited:
Well it's official, the fight's off. I think Mayweather is afraid of Pacman, but at the same time, Pacquio isn't without blame as well. This refusing to submit to bloodwork is kinda fishy.

If it was a mandatory test in boxing, yeah. But since it's a demand made by the guy he was supposed to face in the fight, doesn't bother me that he said no. Especially since there is no history of him failing a drug test.

Yeah but if Pacquio "wants" this fight, then why not agree to it? Then if Mayweather makes another crazy demand, then walk away. When it comes to testing, I see no reason to walk away from this fight. Olympic testing is a lot more strict than the one used in boxing so he'd be more out in the open should he pass. Honestly, other than Sugar Shane, there isn't anyone out there to fight in boxing. This is one of the reasons why boxing is dying: when it comes to superfights, they take years to take place. I remember Tyson and Holyfield taking years to fight and when they finally did, they were both passed their prime. This fight will probably be the same way.

Well it's official, the fight's off. I think Mayweather is afraid of Pacman, but at the same time, Pacquio isn't without blame as well. This refusing to submit to bloodwork is kinda fishy.

Idk if Mayweather is afraid of Pac; Floyds just a *****. Pac looking damn shady though.

I agree Pac is looking dirty right now but honestly, I think Floyd has some fear of the Pacman. Not saying he's flat out afraid of him but.............some of this does seem to be him dancing around the fight. But if Pac is really dirty, then rightfully so. There's a lot of money involved and if you are willing to walk away from that rather than get some blood drawn, then there is some smoke going around there. And when there's smoke................

Pac's camp agreed to a test 24 days before the fight, at the weigh in, and right after the fight in the locker room. He just does not want his blood drawn right before the fight. The fight will still happen I think. Maybe sometime in the summer. That's just too much money to pass up.

Last edited:
These characters are going to pass up a rumored 40M each over some bull****? :confused:

Last edited:
Pac's camp agreed to a test 24 days before the fight, at the weigh in, and right after the fight in the locker room. He just does not want his blood drawn right before the fight. The fight will still happen I think. Maybe sometime in the summer. That's just too much money to pass up.

Sounds like Manny has made alot of concession already re: blood test, but Floyd still won't agree to the deal. Seems like Mayweather is the one who is stonewalling and keeping this fight from happening.

Exactly. I really think it comes down to publicity though. Boxing really, really needs this fight to happen and the money involved is too great for it not to.

Ummm, standard? This isn't standard. The Olympic-style drugs tests have never been done before in boxing. What's standard is the NSAC urine tests, which Pac has passed every time he has taken it. The test Pacquiao is refusing is a demand by the Mayweather team, not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

I mean that drug testing itself is pretty standard, it doesn't matter how the test is taken its still a drugs test. The fact that Pacquiao was not willing to submit to taking random blood & urine tests leading up to the fight is very suspect.. neither fighter would have any sort of advantage over the other as they'd both be taking the tests.

If you ask me Mayweather has kinda vaguely implied he thinks Pacquiao might be taking some sort of performance enhancer during his training with the suggestion of such a drug testing scheme.. as both a blood & urine test will give a definitive answer if you've had something in your system recently that shouldn't have been there, however Pacquiao isn't doing himself any favours by haggling over how the testing is taken.. it kinda makes it seem like he may have something to hide.

Floyd Mayweather tried to gain a psychological advantage and it back fired and now Pacquaio filed a lawsuit in the State of Nevada to clear his name.

I mean that drug testing itself is pretty standard, it doesn't matter how the test is taken its still a drugs test. The fact that Pacquiao was not willing to submit to taking random blood & urine tests leading up to the fight is very suspect.. neither fighter would have any sort of advantage over the other as they'd both be taking the tests.
No, you said "it's a drug test that is pretty standard" meaning that blood tests are standard, which is false. And second, Pacquiao has agreed to take unlimited urine tests, which he has passed every time he was required to take it. He has also agreed to take unlimited blood tests, providing they stop 24 days before the fight. He also agreed to take a blood test after the fight. Mayweather has rejected all those concessions.

This test ISN't mandatory so why the hell should he take it? Why is Mayweather demanding something he has never demanded of anyone before? That has never been demanded of any boxer before. Pacquiao is not required to do this test, yet he has agreed to take it after the fight. He has submitted to more than what is required of him and every other boxer.

Pacquiao has passed every mandatory PED test so there is no precedent and no reason to be asking for this unnecessary blood test. If anything, it an insult to Pac's whole career since he has been clean on every occassion he has taken the mandatory tests. Mayweather asking for something that has never been done before is the only reason this fight has stalled.

If you ask me Mayweather has kinda vaguely implied he thinks Pacquiao might be taking some sort of performance enhancer during his training with the suggestion of such a drug testing scheme..
There is nothing vague about their smear campaign. Mayweather has said that the Philippines have the greatest PEDS. Floyd Sr. has publicly stated that he believes Pacquiao is on steroids. So has Roger Mayweather. That's right, folks, Mayweather Sr., a convicted drug trafficker is accusing someone of taking illegal drugs.

He agreed to pay Pacquiao a $10 million penalty if he comes in even half-a-biscuit or one swallow of his beloved Mountain Dew heavier than the 147-pound limit. That’s astounding, given that Mike Tyson was fined $3 million for biting a chunk out of Evander Holyfield’s ear.
And for the record, Mayweather has reneged on a contract stipulation before when he decided to come overweight in the Marquez fight. There's the precedent and reason for the $10 million penalty if he comes overweight in this fight. Where's Mayweather's precedent for this superfluous blood test? Where is his reason?

Last edited:
Ahh man I hope this fight does happen. And I hope "Money" get's sparked out. I respect the guy because he is just so damn good, but no one can deny that he is a ****ing wanker. And sure boxing is about big personalities, but Mayweather is just a shallow, arrogant prick.

If this doesn't happen then what else is there? Haye vs Klitchko? Bah Klitchko has no personality or charisma and Haye will knock him out anyway.

I suppose there is Sugar Shane, who was giving it the biggen after Mayweathers last fight. But really, would Mosley put up a good fight against Mayweather? I have my doubts.

No, you said "it's a drug test that is pretty standard" meaning that blood tests are standard, which is false.

Yes & I then clarified in my next post that I mean that the testing for drugs is standard. It doesn't matter how the tests are taken, a drug test is a drug test..

And second, Pacquiao has agreed to take unlimited urine tests, which BTW, he has passed on every occasion. He has also agreed to take unlimited blood tests, providing they stop 24 days before the fight. He also agreed to take a blood test after the fight.

No.. he has only agreed to random urine tests in the build up to the fight. He (Pacquiao) hasn't agreed to any random blood tests inside those 30 days otherwise the fight would have been already made.

The reason being according to Pacquiao's camp/Freddie Roach is that they couldn't guarentee that blood would not be taken the day before the fight (inside 24 hours).. (& the minimum he would allow his fighter to have blood taken is a week before the fight anyway)

Mayweather's camp then came out & said that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency wouldn't be taking any blood within 24 hours of the fight.

Its all Here.

According to Golden Boy Promotions, who represent Mayweather, Pacquiao has agreed to have blood taken for testing before the initial media conference and after the fight but will not agree to having blood drawn within 30 days of the bout.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article6966313.ece

"Todd told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight," Schaefer said. "He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4766171

This test ISN't mandatory so why the hell should he take it? Why is Mayweather demanding something he has never demanded of anyone before? That has never been demanded of any boxer before. He is not required to do this test, yet he has agreed to take it after the fight. He has submitted to more than what is required of him and every other boxer. Demanding this test of a boxer who has passed every PED test required of him is an insult to Pac's career.

Why do you think Olympic Athletes use the system Mayweather is wanting to use..?
Its because its the most conclusive & accurate testing possible for anything that shouldn't be in your system with no room for any inaccuracy due to the strictness of how & when each sample is taken.

Roach tried to argue that in this case where its a 1 time deal, a blood test would be no more accurate than a urine or saliva test because in the Olympics they compare blood tests previously taken from the athlete at an earlier date..
He must not understand that with the testing scheme being proposed, there will be 3 - 5 random detailed blood tests & about 8 random urine tests in the build up to the fight.. meaning that each blood/urine sample would obviously be tested for anything that shouldn't be there, but then they'd also be used as a comparison when the the rest of the blood samples are taken for any unusual changes.

Its a load of ****, its a drugs test.. If Floyd Mayweather is happy to do it right up to the fight, then why isn't Manny Pacquiao? Its either 1 of 2 things. Either Pacquiao & his camp don't want to be told what to do by Mayweather & give in to his request (even though he allegedly said he'll give up his bigger cut to make the fight 50 - 50 in return) OR Pacquiao might have something to hide..

Yes & I then clarified in my next post that I mean that the testing for drugs is standard. It doesn't matter how the tests are taken, a drug test is a drug test..
The article was about Pac refusing blood tests. You then said "its a drug test that is pretty standard." Meaning blood tests are standard. Seems clear to me. But I no longer want to argue semantics. The point is that the blood tests being demanded by Mayweather are not standard and they've never been done before. And if we want to spin this another way, demanding your opponent fulfill extraneous drugs tests outside of what is necessary/required has never been done before and is not standard.

No.. he has only agreed to random urine tests in the build up to the fight. He (Pacquiao) hasn't agreed to any random blood tests inside those 30 days otherwise the fight would have been already made.
You said this
"The fact that Pacquiao was not willing to submit to taking random blood & urine tests leading up to the fight is very suspect.."

You were wrong since Pacquiao has agreed to take urine tests. He has also agreed to random blood tests as long as they don't continue 30 days before the fight. And I was mistaken when I wrote 24, I meant to write 30. Still, that's more than what is required of him.

Its a load of ****, its a drugs test.. If Floyd Mayweather is happy to do it right up to the fight, then why isn't Manny Pacquiao? Its either 1 of 2 things. Either Pacquiao & his camp don't want to be told what to do by Mayweather & give in to his request (even though he allegedly said he'll give up his bigger cut to make the fight 50 - 50 in return) OR Pacquiao might have something to hide..
He's the one asking for it, of course he's happy to take it. It is a bunch of ********. If only Mayweather had done what he's done on every previous fight he's had: not request a blood test that's never been done before. If he had done that, the fight would have been made.

Last edited:
The article was about Pac refusing blood tests. You then said "its a drug test that is pretty standard." Meaning blood tests are standard. Seems clear to me.

What part of "I then clarified in my next post that I mean that the testing for drugs is standard" are you failing to understand.. :huh:

You said this
"The fact that Pacquiao was not willing to submit to taking random blood & urine tests leading up to the fight is very suspect.."

You were wrong since Pacquiao has agreed to take urine tests and random blood tests as long as they don't continue 30 days before the fight. And I was mistaken when I wrote 24, I meant to write 30. Still, that's more than what is required of him.

I'm not wrong,it is still suspect of him as he won't submit to these random detailed blood & urine tests inside 30 days of the fight..

It might be more than required of him.. but could be pointless considering he'll then have 4 weeks until the fight. Several forms various performance enhancing drugs can be in & out of your system without a trace inside days let alone weeks.

He's the one asking for it, of course he's happy to take it.

So then why isn't Pacquiao..?

What part of "I then clarified in my next post that I mean that the testing for drugs is standard" are you failing to understand.. :huh:
Copied from my edited post, which you probably missed:
I no longer want to argue semantics. The point is that the blood tests being demanded by Mayweather are not standard and they've never been done before. And if we want to spin this another way, demanding your opponent fulfill extraneous drugs tests outside of what is necessary/required has never been done before and is not standard.

I'm not wrong,it is still suspect of him as he won't submit to these random detailed blood & urine tests inside 30 days of the fight..
What are you talking about? Link me to any article that says Pac has refused to take unlimited random urine tests. Urine tests are not the problem here. It's the blood tests. Pac has agreed to take unlimited urine tests. This I am 100% sure of.

It might be more than required of him.. but could be pointless considering he'll then have 4 weeks until the fight. Several forms various performance enhancing drugs can be in & out of your system without a trace inside days let alone weeks.
He's willing to take it after the fight. What is the problem with that? Again, this is more than what is required of him. He has conceded to submit to something that has never been asked of any fighter before.

So then why isn't Pacquiao..?
How should I know? It disrupts his schedule? He's superstitious? There are a number of theories. I don't really care. The fact is that he's not required to take these tests and has already made concessions.

It is a bunch of ********. If only Mayweather had done what he's done on every previous fight he's had: not request a blood test that's never been done before. If he had done that, the fight would have been made.

You said it yourself:

Mayweather has said that the Philippines have the greatest PEDS. Floyd Sr. has publicly stated that he believes Pacquiao is on steroids. So has Roger Mayweather.

He wants to make sure hes getting a clean, fair fight.. if Pacquiao is giving him one then he shouldn't have a problem submitting to any drugs tests provided Mayweather does the same.

He wants to make sure hes getting a clean, fair fight.. if Pacquiao is giving him one then he shouldn't have a problem submitting to any drugs tests provided Mayweather does the same.
Pacquiao has passed every PED test required by the NSAC. Pac has agreed to take the NSAC tests. How can Mayweather dismiss the tests that have been used for 40 years. The same tests that have proved he was clean in all his fights. He's basically saying that the NSAC is not good enough. i.e. Mayweather himself may have been on PEDs in any of his previous fights because the only organization that proved he wasn't on them was the NSAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"