Paramount's Hasbro Universe

If the amount of kvetching i'm seeing in this thread (and these are fans?), is indicative of what they face in the "real" world, then it's no wonder the stars can't seem to align to make this wonderfully outrageous shared Universe happen on film....
efisRbw.jpg

1499706384-revolution.jpg

You know the eighties were a different time when someone thought a thirty feet tall bloody, half skeletal bird monster was something to put in a a children's cartoon.
At some point the reigns were passed to people now running the show(s) who didn't actually love watching and playing with this wonderfully popular crap, but were just looking at it going- how can I "fix" it.
And by "fix"it, I mean remove it's ________!

Last edited:
They should make a Inhumanoids movie and traumatize a whole new generation of kids
[YT]/ls2lvNYrZVI[/YT]

You know the eighties were a different time when someone thought a thirty feet tall bloody, half skeletal bird monster was something to put in a a children's cartoon.

[YT]/FmKqovXOr9E[/YT]

Society wasn't as *****fied (not referring to gender) back then.

Because they've been kicking around and talking about Micronauts for years and it's never gotten off the ground. Second, it's a very obscure property. It's not like Guardians of the Galaxy attached to the established MCU brand at that point in 2014.

A Micronauts movie would not be cheap to execute and have it look good. Paramount couldn't even get Star Trek 4 off the ground, and Star Trek is a big established franchise that has been around longer and is more relevant than Micronauts.

It's sort of like the Robotech movie. Robotech first got announced as a movie in 2009. It's 2020 now. No movie.

Because they've been kicking around and talking about Micronauts for years and it's never gotten off the ground. Second, it's a very obscure property. It's not like Guardians of the Galaxy attached to the established MCU brand at that point in 2014.

A Micronauts movie would not be cheap to execute and have it look good. Paramount couldn't even get Star Trek 4 off the ground, and Star Trek is a big established franchise that has been around longer and is more relevant than Micronauts.

It's sort of like the Robotech movie. Robotech first got announced as a movie in 2009. It's 2020 now. No movie.
I see your point, however I hope it happens.

Now that Hasbro own a mini major film distributor in eOne I wonder if they will look to cut out Paramount by producing and distributing the Hasbro titles themselves, similar to Marvel Studios and Disney.

Considering Hasbro spent so long attempting to buy Lionsgate before splashing $4bn on eOne, I can only imagine that having their own Cinematic Universe 100% in-house is their ultimate strategy. Getting the distribution rights for Transformers and GI Joe back from Paramount could prove problematic, as Spiderman and X-Men were for Marvel. I think I read recently that the other IPs in early stage development like MASK, ROM, Power Rangers etc are no longer with Paramount.

Can they actually make money on a cinematic universe though?

Can they actually make money on a cinematic universe though?

It depends how they go about it. If they try to shoehorn everything into a "shared universe" it will probably fail before it gets off the ground. If they focus on making good movies on their IP while leaving room for future crossovers where organically possible then they just might succeed.
Basically learn from DC's mistakes.

Hasbro isn't Marvel though. While Marvel didn't have the rights to Spiderman, X Men, FF, they still had Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk to bank on and set up their universe on a strong footing.

With the best will in the world ROM, Visionaries, MASK, Action Man aren't in the same league. Power Rangers is probably their most bankable property outside of Joe and Transformers who are tied to Paramount.

I have hope. Hasbro's merchandise revenue is dependent on their movies being successful so they'll want strong storytellers being backed financially to make the movies work.

I'm a sucker for big Hollywood franchises. I love MCU and I've enjoyed DC since they've started prioritising good movies over interconnectedness. As long as we can get good movies based on Hasbro properties I'll be there for it, whether they crossover or not.

It depends how they go about it. If they try to shoehorn everything into a "shared universe" it will probably fail before it gets off the ground. If they focus on making good movies on their IP while leaving room for future crossovers where organically possible then they just might succeed.
Basically learn from DC's mistakes.

Hasbro isn't Marvel though. While Marvel didn't have the rights to Spiderman, X Men, FF, they still had Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk to bank on and set up their universe on a strong footing.

With the best will in the world ROM, Visionaries, MASK, Action Man aren't in the same league. Power Rangers is probably their most bankable property outside of Joe and Transformers who are tied to Paramount.

I have hope. Hasbro's merchandise revenue is dependent on their movies being successful so they'll want strong storytellers being backed financially to make the movies work.

I'm a sucker for big Hollywood franchises. I love MCU and I've enjoyed DC since they've started prioritising good movies over interconnectedness. As long as we can get good movies based on Hasbro properties I'll be there for it, whether they crossover or not.

This is what I mean. Obviously, Spider-Man and X-Men were the two biggest Marvel IPs in terms of how lucrative they could be for Hollywood adaptations before the MCU. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and Hulk were not the most well known and iconic brands when they started the MCU, but at least they were recognizable and iconic characters with a lot of history.

Transformers was a successful movie franchise, but now we're in 2020 and Paramount has no idea what to do with Transformers after the movies became a fraction as successful as they used to and Michael Bay poisoned the well. They are only now getting around to rebooting GI Joe with a Snake Eyes origin movie. I realize they have plans for Power Rangers movies & TV, but that's probably going to take years to get off the ground, and I doubt they are going to mash up Power Rangers with the others. Power Rangers got a big budget movie in 2017 and it bombed.

This is what I mean. Hasbro is not Marvel. Marvel because of what the company did with Iron Man and Avengers was able to get away with doing Guardians of the Galaxy, and then turning Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel into huge hits.

Hasbro does not have those advantages now. They started talking about a Hasbro shared universe years ago and still have nothing to show for it other than some comics and toys. That's it.

Yeah, as a toy collector I have to say that the existing franchise strength of things like Micronauts, Visionaries and MASK, even GI Joe, is limited at best. The best they can do is just focus on making a good film that works, that's broad enough that the traditional nuclear family can enjoy it on its own terms, rather than relying on 1980s nostalgia. We don't need Chabon to write something at the Kavalier and Klay level, just a solid script with good characters with a beginning, middle and end. The shared universe stuff will come naturally if they just make a good film first (ie, Iron Man).

This is what I mean. Obviously, Spider-Man and X-Men were the two biggest Marvel IPs in terms of how lucrative they could be for Hollywood adaptations before the MCU. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and Hulk were not the most well known and iconic brands when they started the MCU, but at least they were recognizable and iconic characters with a lot of history.

Transformers was a successful movie franchise, but now we're in 2020 and Paramount has no idea what to do with Transformers after the movies became a fraction as successful as they used to and Michael Bay poisoned the well. They are only now getting around to rebooting GI Joe with a Snake Eyes origin movie. I realize they have plans for Power Rangers movies & TV, but that's probably going to take years to get off the ground, and I doubt they are going to mash up Power Rangers with the others. Power Rangers got a big budget movie in 2017 and it bombed.

This is what I mean. Hasbro is not Marvel. Marvel because of what the company did with Iron Man and Avengers was able to get away with doing Guardians of the Galaxy, and then turning Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel into huge hits.

Hasbro does not have those advantages now. They started talking about a Hasbro shared universe years ago and still have nothing to show for it other than some comics and toys. That's it.
Have some faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"