PG-13 cinema release, R rated home version

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by NineLivesGojira, Jan 6, 2013.

1. NineLivesGojira Registered

Basically, always wondered if this is cost affective for studios to do films like this. I bring this up mainly because of the low revenue Dredd 3d had. I can't help but think that if it was a PG-13 theatrical release, they would have got more money.

So does anyone out there know if this is even a good idea for studios who are not to sure about their movie performing well under an R rating?

2. Drizzle Yesferatu

That's what they did with the last Die Hard movie, and probably what they're doing with the next one too. They did it with Terminator Salvation. Actually, it's the reason why I waited until Live Free or Die Hard was on DVD to see it because I knew there'd be an unrated/R-rated version. I think it's stupid. Some movies were just meant to be rated R. Fox used to be adamant about keeping films PG-13 to maximize box office profit, but lately they've seemed to be more lenient with films like Predators and Prometheus. There are a lot more successful R-rated films now anyway, so I think studios are shying away from favoring only PG-13 films. Look at The Hangover, Ted, etc. Even Django Unchained just crossed the $100 million mark.

But I also think there's an opposite end to the spectrum. If Sweeney Todd had been rated PG-13 instead of R, it would have made a lot more money. Besides excessive blood, it's got nothing that warrants an R rating.