"Phasers on stun" - The Kirk thread

RetrogradeOrbit

Do I look like I'm joking?
Reaction score
We have to have somewhere to discuss the best Captain in Starfleet, and here it is...

I still think it would have been better if they hadn't gone ahead and made Kirk a captain. Aside from the whole cadet to captain logic problem, him as a first officer could have been an interesting change. He could have been captain when necessary.

I think the promotion from Cadet to Captain stretches story/logic/everything credibility beyond the breaking point.

Although I hear that this rapid promotion may have repercussions in the new film. Interested to see if that is true.

I would have been happier if Kirk had been decorated for his valour in defeating Nero, etc. Being made a Lieutenant (at most) then being told that when he graduates, the Enterprise will be his ship.

Jump forward a couple of years, show his graduation and promotion to Captain and getting assigned the Enterprise. I think that would have gone down a lot better, or certainly more plausible.

What should have been done Is more time should have passed.Neo's attack shuld have happned a few years after graduation.You could have had focus on 2 ships.Enteprise and farrogat.Mccoy and Sulu could have been wih Kirk on Farrogat.Spock,Uhuru,and
Scotty on Enterprise.Kirk's Is a lieutenant when Neo attacks.at end Kirk Is promated to captain and assigned to enteprise on Pike's recommendation after saving earth.

I think the promotion from Cadet to Captain stretches story/logic/everything credibility beyond the breaking point.

Although I hear that this rapid promotion may have repercussions in the new film. Interested to see if that is true.

I would have been happier if Kirk had been decorated for his valour in defeating Nero, etc. Being made a Lieutenant (at most) then being told that when he graduates, the Enterprise will be his ship.

Jump forward a couple of years, show his graduation and promotion to Captain and getting assigned the Enterprise. I think that would have gone down a lot better, or certainly more plausible.

Everything else with Old Spock and the time travel and all that makes sense though right? :o

Kirk is just a F***ing ICON. I think Pine did a cracking Job as Kirk. I'd love to see Kirk a lot more serious in this film and a lot more 'I can kick your ass' from him too.

I guess Kirk being promoted to captain so fast doesn't bother me for a couple reasons.

1) A large number of captains and potential captains died when the fleet warped to Vulcan. So, they were a bit short handed when it came to people with hands on experience.

2) Kirk saved the Federation (and earth) from total destruction.

Who's more attactive, Chris Pine as Kirk or a young William Shatner, in his prime as Kirk?

Shatner:
2230717-1acaptain_kirk.jpg

Pine:
1557600-images__14_.jpg

I tell ya what though, seeing those two pics together like that, Shatner just oozes authority there. I hope to see that from Pine in ITD

He makes a good Kirk, but I don't know if I can buy him as a captain.

Yeah, I like Pine in the role, he just doesn't scream "captain" to me.

The question on everyone's mind. Will Kirk get his ass kicked as many times in the sequel?

Certainly agree that the image of Shatner above exudes more authority than Pine`s Kirk.

But to be fair to Chris Pine, Shatner`s Kirk has a lot of history behind him to garner said authority. Also Kirk is (character ages) around ten years older in TOS than Pine`s Kirk currently is.

I like that Kirk has Pike in this universe being kinda like a surrogate father to him. But I'm hoping we get to see Kirk step out from his shadow and be his own man.

Some people are saying Kirk may die in this film. Does anyone think that could happen?

I like that Kirk has Pike in this universe being kinda like a surrogate father to him. But I'm hoping we get to see Kirk step out from his shadow and be his own man.

My money is on Pike getting killed in this film, hence the Weller/Pine bit in one of the trailers:

Weller: Starfleet isn't about revenge Kirk.
Pine: Maybe it should be sir

(or something like that). And granted, it was a trailer and it may have been jumbled dialogue. But still...

I wonder what William Shatner thinks of Chris Pine's take on Kirk?

Pine, I thought, was particularly impressive in Into Darkness.
Sure, I thought he did well in 2009. But in the new film, he's given scope to stretch his acting legs.

I loved his emotional arc in this.

Pine, I thought, was particularly impressive in Into Darkness.
Sure, I thought he did well in 2009. But in the new film, he's given scope to stretch his acting legs.

I loved his emotional arc in this.

Absolutely. Not only did he have more of the Kirk look about him, his performance was so much MORE in this. I liked him in 09. I LOVED him in STID.

Last edited:
What established Kirk's authority this time around is not just the fact that he is given the title of 'Captain', but that everyone on his crew clearly look up to him as one and yes, that includes Spock. He may not have the same kind of presence as Shatner, but despite his impulsive and roguish tendencies Pine's Kirk clearly has all the hallmarks of a competent leader who commands loyalty.

I always dug Pine's Kirk. It honestly does feel like what Shatner would have been like as a late 20s guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"