Batman Begins Physical danger in Batman Begins

Everyman

Superhero
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a thread about it (and if there is, I am sorry to repeat one), but I discovered something Batman begins not only got right, but was the very first Batman to get right: Batman is physically in danger throughout the movie. You could argue that this was the case previously, but in Burton's and Schumacher's movies, Batman never seemed so much in trouble. He seems mroe or less invincible, at worst he gets in a bit of trouble at some point, but gets over it pretty quickly. In Begins, I really felt that his life was genuinly in danger, for example when Scarecrow (a lesser villain in this movie) gives him the fear gas and sets him on fire. Batman also finds a worthy physical challenge with Ra's, something no villain ever was before.

"Batman Begins" got the character right in that Batman is just an ordinary man doing extraordinary things. Nolan, Goyer, etc. saw that about the character & emphasized it instead of just having fun with him as Burton & Schumacher did.

Bats said:
"Batman Begins" got the character right in that Batman is just an ordinary man doing extraordinary things. Nolan, Goyer, etc. saw that about the character & emphasized it instead of just having fun with him as Burton & Schumacher did.

I think they show Batman as much more than an ordinary man, because (among other reasons) he decides to be more. But it really struck me that Nlan's batman seems to have adversaries who give him a run for his money, instead of a simple walk in the park. In the 1989 Batman, Joker spends more time scaring the good Gothamites and escaping batman than getting the upper hand. In BR, Penguin manages to frame Batman, but it doesn,t work for very long, and Penguin isn't much of a physical challenge for Batman, neither are any of his goons. I am a big fan of BR, but as a Batman movie, there isn't much of a challenge for him, and you don't fear for the hero the way you fear for him in Begins, where he really looks in trouble sometimes.

Batman Returns is an interesting attempt at a character piece, but it simply leaves way too much to be desired from a Batman movie. It has no true story, and has less than stellar action sequences. It simply provides no fun.

Whack Arnolds said:
Batman Returns is an interesting attempt at a character piece, but it simply leaves way too much to be desired from a Batman movie. It has no true story, and has less than stellar action sequences. It simply provides no fun.

dats ur opinion :down

I agree with you Whack. BR is an interesting take, and it's a pretty good film, but for a fan of the comics....it can leave alot to be desired.

Pssss......that's my opinion too, btw.

Batman isn't invincible in this film. Some (dumb) people might think it whimpy....but it's what makes the character interesting to being with. He's a mortal, and can be hurt.

That's something I think the comics have strayed too far from actually, making Batman so god-like has it's negatives.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Batman isn't invincible in this film. Some (dumb) people might think it whimpy....but it's what makes the character interesting to being with. He's a mortal, and can be hurt.

I don't think he is invincible, and he is more easily wounded in BR than in Batman 89, but he certainly doesn't get in physical danger much. Keaton stays quite cool during even when the Batmobile gets controlled by the Penguin. You barely feel he could be in danger. In Begins, Rha's gets the upper hand a couple of times, the Scarecrow gets the upper hand at least once (and nearly kills him)' and until the end Batman's success and survival is uncertain.

Yeah.

There's a sense of danger, which does keep the viewers in.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah.

There's a sense of danger, which does keep the viewers in.

...And IMO it is the very first time on the big screen that we have Batman facing real danger, or that we feel he is facing real danger.

Begins has a threatning enviornment, as does B89 at times. But not near as threatning and oppressing as the enviornment and challenges in BEGINS. Hopefully it is even escelated in the sequel. We see how much further the corruption has extended, and then the real crazies start comming out etc.

Whack Arnolds said:
Begins has a threatning enviornment, as does B89 at times. But not near as threatning and oppressing as the enviornment and challenges in BEGINS. Hopefully it is even escelated in the sequel. We see how much further the corruption has extended, and then the real crazies start comming out etc.

"At times" is the word. In Batman 89 Batman very rarely gets into a threathening environment. He destroys Joker's factory without difficulties and he gets marginally in danger in the climax. Sort of... In Begins, Batman has to fight for his life nearly every time he gets into action. And the badguy even manages to get the upper hand at a few occasions! And when he gets in danger, it means something. Batman nearly dies at the hand of Scarecrow, and this confrontation will have an impact into the dénouement of the story.

oh wait..Whack Arnolds i apologize...i thought u were talkin about BB...i read it wrong......sooo.....yeah...i agree wif your opinion :up:

Every main character in a superhero or adventures movie is in physical danger.

El Payaso said:

In theory, yes, some are more than others. The 89 Batman didn't get much into danger, we didn't really feel he was ind anger anyway, he barely break a swept. It was the same in BR, where he got a few scratches, but never really got close to loose his life. In Begins, Batman always walks on thin ice.

El Payaso said:
Yes, but we are talking about whether or not the audience actually feels the danger along with the protagonist. In this case, not every adventure or superhero movie gives the audience that threatning vibe.

True, Batman in this movie seems to constantly be in danger, and that is why he is a more sympathetic character in this one IMO. Just the jump from the top of the police station onto the next building showed he was still highly volatile to pain which is a good thing IMO. It brings tension throughout the movie, i also like the fact that Ra's got the better of their end fight, it shows that he will still soldier on despite being beaten down.

The problem with Batman comics these days is he's too good. We all know "Batman is the badass" as Christian Bale said, but when he's too smart for everybody, there's no conflict.

Whack Arnolds said:
You got me angry for a second there...I thought you said BEGINS. pheewww...:)

Anyways, ya I loved how you knew Batman was always in danger. When he jumped off the police station I was like,".....I hope he knows what hes doing.." because he just made a quick decision and went for it no matter how much its going to hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"