Post Mid Terms - who should challenge Trump in 2020?

Yeah but also which candidate helps the Democrats win the Senate the best? Biden may not be the most liberal but he may help downticket the most at this point in time, we'll see about later on.

Yeah but also which candidate helps the Democrats win the Senate the best? Biden may not be the most liberal but he may help downticket the most at this point in time, we'll see about later on.
But then we run the risks of Obama "we'll work together!"-style dealings with congress, which Joe has now repeatedly said he wants to go back to, and that was a ****ing disaster. What's the point of a majority if you're just going to continue to cowtow and pussyfoot around a party that defines itself in opposition to you?

I guess until the system changes, we're stuck with it, but I really wish that campaigns were limited to the year in which they are supposed to take place. The first caucuses and primaries are 6 months + away, and the general public has to endure all these polls and counter polls and counter-counter polls, while wondering just who exactly even talks to any pollsters.

The anti-gerrymandering initiatives need to gain more ground in more states. But even then, it seems like so many states now are culturally inclined to vote for the GOP regardless-- and even if a Democrat wins the 2020 election, how do you get around the avowed obstructionism of people like McConnell and his ilk? At this point, philosophically, I wouldn't be mad if the entire Senate was to disappear (won't happen, but anyway). Even if there's "bipartisan agreement" for a House proposal, it can get torpedoed in the Senate, regardless of who is in the White House. Oh, well...

You get someone who the people can get excited about. Biden is going to have the Bresden problem. He is not going to get the left energized.

The Washington Post - More brutal 2020 poll numbers for Trump

Quinnipiac University has for the first time conducted national head-to-head polls matching up Trump and some of the leading Democratic presidential hopefuls. None of the matchups is good for Trump.

Trump trails all six by between five and 13 points, with Joe Biden holding the biggest advantage and the lesser-known candidates — Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.) and Mayor Pete Buttigieg — holding the smallest leads.

The findings mirror the limited head-to-head polling we’ve seen in some key early states, with Trump trailing by as much as double digits in crucial Michigan and Pennsylvania, and even trailing Biden in Texas (!) in another Quinnipiac poll. Trump also trails in most national head-to-heads, although often not by as much as Quinnipiac indicates.

As with all polling at this early a juncture, it should not be used to predict any outcomes. Things can and will change. Biden, most notably, remains very popular from his time as vice president, and few analysts expect he’ll be able to maintain that for an entire campaign.

The New York Times - Trump Needs a Target to Stay Interested in His Campaign. For Now, It’s Biden.

After being briefed on a devastating 17-state poll conducted by his campaign pollster, Tony Fabrizio, Mr. Trump told aides to deny that his internal polling showed him trailing Mr. Biden in many of the states he needs to win, even though he is also trailing in public polls from key states like Texas, Michigan and Pennsylvania. And when top-line details of the polling leaked, including numbers showing the president lagging in a cluster of critical Rust Belt states, Mr. Trump instructed aides to say publicly that other data showed him doing well.

ABC News - EXCLUSIVE: Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on opponents

(a) Prohibition
It shall be unlawful for-

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make-
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

[USC02] 52 USC 30121: Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

They're split up into groups of ten over two nights.

62564824_10156585957112582_2110287818172399616_o.jpg

I do find the split interesting. Night one really only has Warren of the top contenders.

I do find the split interesting. Night one really only has Warren of the top contenders.

I found it kinda funny too, she got dumped in with a bunch of otherwise pretty irrelevant people. I'd have rather seen her on the debate stage with Biden, Bernie, Kamala, Buttigieg, etc.

I found it kinda funny too, she got dumped in with a bunch of otherwise pretty irrelevant people. I'd have rather seen her on the debate stage with Biden, Bernie, Kamala, Buttigieg, etc.
And none of them want that.

If we want more upside it means it’s an easy crowd for Warren to establish her platform on and she can steamroll them.

On the other hand we’ve got some competition for Biden so we can see if the out of touch old fossil can survive against younger and more engaging candidates.

Upside... Blood is in the water. Trump seems a weakened enough figure that many that would consider themselves longshots are convinced enough at his vulnerability that they are taking a chance.

Downside... As you stated we are looking at a repeat of the 2016 GOP Clown Car primary.

Something I’ve been wondering about is if there are any upstarts in the Republican Party that feel Trump’s weak enough for them to directly challenge.

It’s difficult to get a feeling for something like that outside the states, but we’ve seen a couple of Republicans break rank so maybe Trump will have some competition within his own party too.

I can think of only one person who said he would challenge Trump but I forget his name and he stands no chance. The Republican party is dead. It's now the Trump party and it will follow it's glorious leader.

I can think of only one person who said he would challenge Trump but I forget his name and he stands no chance. The Republican party is dead. It's now the Trump party and it will follow it's glorious leader.

Republican Governor Bill Weld is running against him, but as you say, I don't think he has any chance.

They're split up into groups of ten over two nights.

62564824_10156585957112582_2110287818172399616_o.jpg
It'll be down to:
Booker
O'Rourke
Warren
Biden
Buttigeig
Harris
Gillbrand
Sanders
Gabbard
Delaney

For round 2. :o

Long story short I predict a: Biden/Harris or Harris/O'Rourke ticket. :storm

The debates are going to be held a ten to fifteen minute drive from my apartment. Maybe I should try to go.

I do find the Dem campaigns starting to unionize as fascinating. Sanders, Warren, and Castro's campaign workers have unionized. Could be very fascinating comparison in the general election.

It'll be down to:
Booker
O'Rourke
Warren
Biden
Buttigeig
Harris
Gillbrand
Sanders
Gabbard
Delaney

For round 2. :o

Long story short I predict a: Biden/Harris or Harris/O'Rourke ticket. :storm

I could see Biden/Harris. I don’t see Beto being in the mix. He’s really fallen by the wayside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"