Post Mid Terms - who should challenge Trump in 2020?

WDIV/Detroit News poll: Trump faces uphill re-election battle in Michigan

Majority of Michigan voters plan to elect someone new in 2020
Voters were asked if they would vote to re-elect Donald Trump, or would they vote for someone else to be President.

Donald Trump begins his re-election campaign with only 30.6 percent of Michigan voters saying they would vote to Re-elect Donald Trump. 53.4 percent of Michigan voters said they would vote for someone new to be president.
  • 23.3 percent of Michigan voters would DEFINITELY vote to Re-elect Donald Trump. 48.5 percent of Michigan voters would DEFINITELY vote for someone new against Donald Trump.
    • 23.3 percent Definitely Re-elect President Trump
    • 7.3 percent Probably Re-election President Trump
    • 4.7 percent Probably vote for Someone New
    • 48.5 percent Definitely vote for Someone New
    • 15.0 percent Depends who the Democratic Nominee is
Among Independent voters that have a disproportional share of deciding Michigan winners, President Trump is faced with unprecedented opposition. 24.1 percent of Independent voters would vote to re-elect President Trump. 54.8 percent of Independent voters would vote to elect someone new.
  • 16.1 percent of Independent voters would definitely vote to re-elect Trump while 45.3 percent of Independent voters would definitely vote for someone new.
Men would elect someone new by a margin of 35.7 percent-48.0 percent. But by a better than 2-1 margin only 26.0 percent of women would re-elect Trump while 58.0 percent would elect someone new.

Trump loses four hypothetical 2020 matchups in Michigan

Voters were presented with four hypothetical matchups between President Trump and likely Democratic candidates Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. Trump loses all four matchups.

• Joe Biden leads 53.3 percent - 40.3 percent over Donald Trump, with only 5.3 percent of voters undecided.
  • Kamala Harris leads 46.6 percent-42.4 percent over Donald Trump, with 9.7 percent of voters undecided.
  • Bernie Sanders leads 52.0 percent-41.2 percent over Donald Trump, with only 5.5 percent of voters undecided.
  • Elizabeth Warren leads 45.8 percent-42.5 percent over Donald Trump, with 10.3 percent of voters undecided

Michigan public opinion state polls had Trump losing Michigan in 2016 by 4 points (he narrowly won by 0.22), so adjust accordingly; also, name identification boosts a candidate this early on. The key number I'd look at is the 40.3-42.5 range for Trump plus the later addition of undecideds solidifying for all candidates.

Last edited:
A great interview with Pete Buttigieg, 1K likes on youtube and similarly growing on Twitter. Since this is an underdog campaign or, for many people, coming out of nowhere that's amazing.

I think this interview really encapsulates a lot of what I love about Pete from the issues to the presidential manner in which he handles himself. Just everything is on display here.

Just noticed this retweet, YES! :

Last edited:
Booker made it official, he is running.

As long as this doesn't backfire like last time with so many split votes.

Quality interview by Buttigieg :up:

So the officially declared are:

Elizabeth Warren
Tulsi Gabbard
Julian Castro
Kristin Gillibrand
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Corey Booker

Who am I missing?

i’m getting tired of all these candidates throwing their hats in the ring now.

If I was a voting for the democrat's I wouldn't want Warren, personally think Trump tares her to pieces.

Haven't seen too much of the others to comment.

Quality interview by Buttigieg :up:

So the officially declared are:

Elizabeth Warren
Tulsi Gabbard
Julian Castro

Kristin Gillibrand
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Corey Booker

Who am I missing?
Is Bernie running again? I crossed off those who I think will lose the primary.

How can anyone forget Oprah's spiritual advisor?
man...this is gonna be a fun one

Is Bernie running again? I crossed off those who I think will lose the primary.

Unfortunately you are likely right about Pete losing the primary - it's an underdog campaign.

With that said, it's a campaign and a movement; as Pete said just running and getting far will do a lot to pave way for the next gay politician running for President. So if everyone in the campaign can really make people stand up and take notice - that'd be awesome.

Putting Harvey Milk quote in quote tags since the image is really big somehow:
quote-politics-is-theater-it-doesn-t-matter-if-you-win-you-make-a-statement-you-say-i-m-here-harvey-milk-42-34-22.jpg

Most of the candidates would probably run against Trump in the same way, use the same words and claims. I could see Sherrod Brown or Elizabeth Warren or possibly Tulsi Gabbard trying to use more of a populist appeal than most of the others and that could be more successful, Kamala Harris could also seem like an outsider but not extreme.

Most of the candidates would probably run against Trump in the same way, use the same words and claims. I could see Sherrod Brown or Elizabeth Warren or possibly Tulsi Gabbard trying to use more of a populist appeal than most of the others and that could be more successful, Kamala Harris could also seem like an outsider but not extreme.

Many are already not going after Trump in the same way.

Also how does Kamala Harris seem like an outsider when she drew a huge rally and was the only candidate to get her own town hall from CNN? Her campaign people worked on Hillary’s and they’re similarly putting her everywhere as noted through her being the only one to get her own televised townhall so far. That’s not to say anything against her just - she’s the polar opposite of outsider right now.

I honestly can't see Booker getting very far. As far as his leftist policies goes, he's all lip service. There's a growing demographic in the Democratic Party, mostly Millennials, who are tired of centrist, and corporate democrats, and want to see an actual true left-wing party in America.

Though I still think the nominee will ultimately be Biden. I think he's feeling a bit of regret about not running in '16.

Many are already not going after Trump in the same way.

Also how does Kamala Harris seem like an outsider when she drew a huge rally and was the only candidate to get her own town hall from CNN? Her campaign people worked on Hillary’s and they’re similarly putting her everywhere as noted through her being the only one to get her own televised townhall so far. That’s not to say anything against her just - she’s the polar opposite of outsider right now.

Mostly just because she's been in the Senate not for long and formerly was a prosecutor, a pretty rare position for someone running for president, and she can make that into a positive, saying she has the experience to be particularly tough and effective against Trump and other Republicans in accusing them of injustice or outright law breaking, including or especially financial crimes/banks themselves, while maybe also being appeal to appeal to moderates.

Mostly just because she's been in the Senate not for long and formerly was a prosecutor, a pretty rare position for someone running for president, and she can make that into a positive, saying she has the experience to be particularly tough and effective against Trump and other Republicans in accusing them of injustice or outright law breaking, including or especially financial crimes/banks themselves, while maybe also being appeal to appeal to moderates.

So, outsider experience rather than outsider candidate. I gotcha now. :up:

I honestly can't see Booker getting very far. As far as his leftist policies goes, he's all lip service. There's a growing demographic in the Democratic Party, mostly Millennials, who are tired of centrist, and corporate democrats, and want to see an actual true left-wing party in America.

Though I still think the nominee will ultimately be Biden. I think he's feeling a bit of regret about not running in '16.
Somebody like that definitely won't win.

The Schultz effect: Liberal backlash prompts moderate heavyweights to rethink 2020

The rising Democratic enthusiasm for big government liberalism is forcing a trio of leading 2020 contenders to rethink jumping in, several sources tell Axios.

What's happening: Michael Bloomberg and former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, each of whom were virtual locks to run, are having serious second thoughts after watching Democrats embrace "Medicare for All," big tax increases and the Green New Deal. Joe Biden, who still wants to run, is being advised to delay any plans to see how this lurch to the left plays out. If Biden runs, look for Bloomberg and McAuliffe to bow out, the sources tell us.

I like Booker, socially liberal and economically moderate, he seems for reforms and regulation of business and yet far from anti-business or anti-wealthy, for deficit reduction but through both spending changes and and tax increases rather than only doing one. But I am probably rare in liking that combination of policies, he probably won't get a lot of support unless other, more solidly left candidates do a lot of attacking of each other more than him.

I think it's interesting that in the 2016 Democratic primaries the main issue seemed to still be, especially for progressives, Wall Street banks (and bailouts, breakups, regulation or contributions from them), now it seems to have shifted to Medicare for All.

It's a fine line, being progressive enough to be championed by the base, yet not come off radical enough to scare middle-of-the-roaders.

Pete now has support from Batman AND Superman. :D

Prior Batman:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"