Potential Deadshot Solo?

This will probably be combined with SS2.

Proof's in the pudding dude, and IMO the pudding tasted pretty terrible !

There are movies out there, waiting to be made, that:

a) would be better suited to what remains of Will Smith's once great talent; and

b) would be better suited to David Ayer's directorial abilities; and

c) aren't DCEU movies.

So I hope that Will and David get together again real soon, and entertain us all with their collaboration........just not on a freaking solo Deadshot movie !

To be honest, Will Smith hasn't had a particularly good role in anything for a while ( Focus, Concussion, MIB 3, I am Legend....in fact if you look at his whole filmography it's pretty hit and miss, yes After Earth, Hancock and I Robot, I'm looking at you!) some of those were tolerable, but not much more. I honestly couldn't distinguish Deadshot from any other of Smith's action characters, other than he was a lot less fun.

Also, I respect your opinion, but Deadshot's daughter added a tiny blip to his character, but I think it's a stretch to call that weight because SS was one of the most thinly scripted cbms to date - in comparison Nolan's Dark Knight films were Shakespeare ! (and I'm the guy who's always saying that cbms "ain't Shakespeare" ). The TV version of Deadshot, who's turned up on Arrow has been more entertaining than Smith's film version.

This is 100% right. So long as they're entertaining, DC could make films about John Constantine's driver Chas, the Legion of Substitute Heroes, or Ralph Dibny (my least favorite JLA member).

Evidence of this is that Dr Strange was incredibly entertaining, and he's hardly one of Marvel's most famous characters (although i think he's always been one of the most interesting). However, given Marvel's track record they can afford to work with lesser characters (which is a record of making many more entertaining films than crappy ones - I hated Iron Man 2 and 3, but otherwise they're films have ranged from good to absolutely great ! ). The fact that they've managed to make amazing movies about Captain America and the Avengers has given them the platform from which to successfully bring the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man and Dr Strange to the general audience.

Also, in terms of being a lesser character Deadpool carried his own comic book series, and has been very popular: Deadshot has been a supporting player at best, he's just not that interesting - he's a guy who shoots people and doesn't miss, but there's not a lot more to it than that. Hell, a solo Alfred film has more potential than Deadshot ( the Alfred character on "Gotham" is more interesting than Deadshot, and Pertwee's performance is certainly better than Smith's).

Who knows, DC/WB might make a Deadshot film that stuns critics and audiences..... but given that they can't seem to make entertaining films about their most famous characters, that doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to make a wonderful Deadshot movie.

BTW I'm not a Will Smith hater, he can be great fun - he was one of the things that made the original Independence Day so much fun (stupid fun, but still really fun).

And for those who think that a Deadshot solo feature would be a good idea, well I respect your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Have to disagree, I actually thought Smith did well in the role and felt I was watching Deadshot rather than Will Smith for the most part. I liked the one on Arrow also but the one in SS just felt like a more rounded character to me. And the daughter thing added pretty much the only emotional moment to the movie. You say Deadshot isn't that interesting, I disagree. He has had solo runs in the comics so I dobt see why a smaller movie couldn't be made. Just make it good

Don't do a Deadshot movie. Just give Will all the focus in the Suicide Squad sequel

I'm not huge Will Smith fan but there's no denying he sells tickets. It's a guarantee it makes money and like some have said it wouldn't need to be big budget. It could be a regular assassin movie with some DC character throw ins.
I actually like the idea. It would give Waller more weight I think if she's sprinkled throughout the dceu.

I'm not huge Will Smith fan but there's no denying he sells tickets. It's a guarantee it makes money and like some have said it wouldn't need to be big budget. It could be a regular assassin movie with some DC character throw ins.
I actually like the idea. It would give Waller more weight I think if she's sprinkled throughout the dceu.

Agreed, this could easily be made for 60-70 million dollars, and would easily make that back with Smith in. Throw in Waller, Flag and a few other characters in as well as you say.

Once again, DC is a place of pointless movies.

But hey, it's all about the money and Will Smith drives people to the theaters.

The idea is just as convincing as Floyd wanting to disobey order and not kill Harley cause they were "connecting" as a team.

Isildur´s Heir;34578037 said:
Once again, DC is a place of pointless movies.

But hey, it's all about the money and Will Smith drives people to the theaters.

I respect your opinion but I do kinda like the idea that some movies could be things that happen during the time of each other but not necessarily every movie leading into the other.
A little of both is cool with me if it means just more movies. I loved MOS and BvS but didn't dig SS but I did find the characters interesting.

Make DC movies great again! :o

Will Smith was the highlight of Suicide Squad - he was literally just playing Will Smith, but at least he was entertaining - but this is really unnecessary.

Agreed, this could easily be made for 60-70 million dollars, and would easily make that back with Smith in. Throw in Waller, Flag and a few other characters in as well as you say.

I don't think there's any way it could be made for less than 100 million because Will is the star. His salary alone is going to eat up a good quarter to a third of that budget unless he were to agree to take less on the front end and hope to make it up on the back end.

Have to disagree, I actually thought Smith did well in the role and felt I was watching Deadshot rather than Will Smith for the most part. I liked the one on Arrow also but the one in SS just felt like a more rounded character to me. And the daughter thing added pretty much the only emotional moment to the movie. You say Deadshot isn't that interesting, I disagree. He has had solo runs in the comics so I dobt see why a smaller movie couldn't be made. Just make it good

Well, agree to disagree. Deathstroke (if he wasn't played by Joe Mangianello) could probably sustain a solo film, but Deadshot ?

Maybe ? But then the movie version we see in Suicide Squad leaves out some of the things that make him an interesting character (like his death wish).

To be honest, the daughter thing didn't work for me at all. It's like "I've got some depth because I'm a great dad.....when I'm not KILLING PEOPLE FOR MONEY." Come on, really ? That's not Smith's fault, but the writers.
I mean I suppose they put "I am the light " on his shirt because they thought it sounded bad-ass, which shows how out of touch and inept they are.
I mean, it's one thing when Samuel Jackson quotes the old Testament (and a passage about revenge) before he busts a cap in someone's ass - that's legitimately bad-ass (plus it's Sam Jackson, who could do bad-ass in his sleep better than Will Smith).

However, for Deadshot, an allegedly ruthless assassin to quote Jesus (John 14:6) just seems out of place. Again, it's like "I'm spiritual.....BUT I KILL PEOPLE FOR MONEY."

Anyway, you're definitely right that if the movie itself was good, then it could be about anyone.

As for Will Smith, and his performance, he didn't do anything with the role to make it interesting - I can remember a lot of Margot Robbie's lines and her performance stood out, not just because of the shorts, but because she made it memorable. I don't like Harley Quinn as a character - mostly because she's actually worse than the Joker in some ways - she allows herself to be defined by an abusive relationship, and that's wrong on many levels.

However, Robbie at least made the character entertaining with a good performance - all I can say about Will Smith is that he shot stuff. The guy should stick to action comedy and the occasional drama.

Now, if you want to see what a better version of Deadshot could have been like (even with a daughter), go check out Assault on Arkham (although I imagine that most folks posting in this thread probably have, yourself included).

Of course this is just my opinion, which counts for practically nothing, so who knows what will happen with a solo Deadshot project ?

While I'm not over the moon, I do think that this film has a better chance of getting over with the audiences compared to many of the other films in DC's slate.

For one thing it has Smith in the lead. Secondly the Deadshot character affords some luxuries

His past is dark and twisted, much like Batman.
He comes from privilege, just like Batman
He looks cool just like Batman.
Unlike Batman though he uses guns and kills with blatant disregard. In many ways therefore he's an evil Batman.

Personality wise, he cracks jokes, smokes, gets around with women, is suicidal and has a brother complex. However he's professional and doesn't kill kids, so he is the sort of anti-hero type that DC wants.

Story wise he's had 3 well received mini series' and was the lead of 2 of the most well regarded ensemble cast runs. Suicide Squad and Secret Six by Ostrander and Simone are the defining standards for super villain ongoing books. Most importantly he's been a consistent character since the 70's and isn't defined by what only writer did with him (which imo is the mark of a versatile character).

He can open the door to DC's spyverse and their non traditional Bat rogues.

I don't think there's any way it could be made for less than 100 million because Will is the star. His salary alone is going to eat up a good quarter to a third of that budget unless he were to agree to take less on the front end and hope to make it up on the back end.

I don't see why him doing the latter wouldn't be an issue. But really, this doesn't need to have a huge budget at all. The character shoots people and is good at it, so you don't need a big world ending plot or anything, just a few interesting shoot outs. This could be the John Wick of CBMs.

Well, agree to disagree. Deathstroke (if he wasn't played by Joe Mangianello) could probably sustain a solo film, but Deadshot ?

Maybe ? But then the movie version we see in Suicide Squad leaves out some of the things that make him an interesting character (like his death wish).

To be honest, the daughter thing didn't work for me at all. It's like "I've got some depth because I'm a great dad.....when I'm not KILLING PEOPLE FOR MONEY." Come on, really ? That's not Smith's fault, but the writers.
I mean I suppose they put "I am the light " on his shirt because they thought it sounded bad-ass, which shows how out of touch and inept they are.
I mean, it's one thing when Samuel Jackson quotes the old Testament (and a passage about revenge) before he busts a cap in someone's ass - that's legitimately bad-ass (plus it's Sam Jackson, who could do bad-ass in his sleep better than Will Smith).

However, for Deadshot, an allegedly ruthless assassin to quote Jesus (John 14:6) just seems out of place. Again, it's like "I'm spiritual.....BUT I KILL PEOPLE FOR MONEY."

Anyway, you're definitely right that if the movie itself was good, then it could be about anyone.

As for Will Smith, and his performance, he didn't do anything with the role to make it interesting - I can remember a lot of Margot Robbie's lines and her performance stood out, not just because of the shorts, but because she made it memorable. I don't like Harley Quinn as a character - mostly because she's actually worse than the Joker in some ways - she allows herself to be defined by an abusive relationship, and that's wrong on many levels.

However, Robbie at least made the character entertaining with a good performance - all I can say about Will Smith is that he shot stuff. The guy should stick to action comedy and the occasional drama.

Now, if you want to see what a better version of Deadshot could have been like (even with a daughter), go check out Assault on Arkham (although I imagine that most folks posting in this thread probably have, yourself included).

Of course this is just my opinion, which counts for practically nothing, so who knows what will happen with a solo Deadshot project ?

I think it's pretty evident you don't like Will Smith, so from the start we are on different wavelengths on that.

As for the bolded, you say SS left out some of the more interesting things about the character, and I agree, but these are the exact things a solo movie could explore, like more of his history and his brother issues etc. I think the solo movie would be the perfect place to explore this.

Also, we have very different interpretations on the daughter thing in SS. I don't think the idea of it was to show Deadshot 'is a great dad despite killing people,' for it me was meant to show Deadpool wasn't all evil, and did have a shining light in his life despite the bad things he has done. You can see in their brief moments she makes him slightly ashamed of what he is. It's why he says to his daughter at first that her mother is lying when she says he kills people. It also pays off in the end when he tells Flagg he will help him take down The Enchantress to show his daughter that 'her daddy is not a piece of ****.' He wants to be redeemed in her eyes. It's why Waller mentions at the start that she has leverage over him.

Again, a solo movie could explore that more.

John Wick of CBMs? Not with with WB/DC behind this project. :oldrazz:

Will Smith hasn't been the powerhouse he used to be lately. Collateral Beauty is getting torn up in the reviews.

And despite critical reception Suicide Squad has been his biggest hit in years, and his character came out as one of the positives from the movie.

I don't know if he'll pull a Ryan Reynolds or Keanu Reeves and be willing to go low budget and accept a smaller paycheck. And a smaller scale movie.

I think a Deadshot solo could only work as a smaller scale (no saving the world) and sub 100 million budget

No movie is "necessary." They didn't need to make an Ant Man movie, or a Doctor Strange one, or a Deadpool one, etc. I don't care if it's "necessary," I care if it's entertaining.

Also Will Smith's performance was one of the best-received parts of that movie, and it's Will Smith. So why not try this?

Will Smith hasn't been the powerhouse he used to be lately. Collateral Beauty is getting torn up in the reviews.

And despite critical reception Suicide Squad has been his biggest hit in years, and his character came out as one of the positives from the movie.

I don't know if he'll pull a Ryan Reynolds or Keanu Reeves and be willing to go low budget and accept a smaller paycheck. And a smaller scale movie.

I think a Deadshot solo could only work as a smaller scale (no saving the world) and sub 100 million budget

Totally agree about the budget, keep this small, gritty and contained.

No movie is "necessary." They didn't need to make an Ant Man movie, or a Doctor Strange one, or a Deadpool one, etc. I don't care if it's "necessary," I care if it's entertaining.

Also Will Smith's performance was one of the best-received parts of that movie, and it's Will Smith. So why not try this?

Definitely, there are certainly things about the character they can explore also n a solo movie. And I don't see it pushing others back. Get a good director on board and they can get this rolling.

I don't see why him doing the latter wouldn't be an issue. But really, this doesn't need to have a huge budget at all. The character shoots people and is good at it, so you don't need a big world ending plot or anything, just a few interesting shoot outs. This could be the John Wick of CBMs.

I think it's pretty evident you don't like Will Smith, so from the start we are on different wavelengths on that.

As for the bolded, you say SS left out some of the more interesting things about the character, and I agree, but these are the exact things a solo movie could explore, like more of his history and his brother issues etc. I think the solo movie would be the perfect place to explore this.

Also, we have very different interpretations on the daughter thing in SS. I don't think the idea of it was to show Deadshot 'is a great dad despite killing people,' for it me was meant to show Deadpool wasn't all evil, and did have a shining light in his life despite the bad things he has done. You can see in their brief moments she makes him slightly ashamed of what he is. It's why he says to his daughter at first that her mother is lying when she says he kills people. It also pays off in the end when he tells Flagg he will help him take down The Enchantress to show his daughter that 'her daddy is not a piece of ****.' He wants to be redeemed in her eyes. It's why Waller mentions at the start that she has leverage over him.

Again, a solo movie could explore that more.

While we disagree on a lot of stuff, and that's not a problem, I must correct you on the emboldened statement.

I do like Will Smith. I loved him as the Fresh Prince, in Independence Day and in the Men in Black films. I admired his acting range in Ali and in the Pursuit of Happyness - although I still don't think it's a particularly wide range, and I classify him as a "good" actor, rather than a "great" one.

E.G. Denzel Washington is a great actor, and can make almost anything he's in better (or at least watchable)

Morgan Freeman is a great actor, and despite having nearly the same delivery in every film, makes a movie better just by being in it.

Christian Bale is a great actor who can do heroic, villainous or tragic characters and sometimes combine all three ( not sure how he'd be at straight up comedy).

Jamie Foxx borders on being a great actor - some of his films Collateral, Any Given Sunday, and Ray show an incredible range.

Will Smith is not in the same weight class as these guys - if Freeman and Washington were heavyweights and Foxx a cruiserweight, then Smith would be a Super Middleweight or Light Heavyweight at best.

Don't get me wrong, the guy can be incredibly entertaining - but just doesn't suit dark, villainous characters. He's best with action/comedy or roles where we want to sympathize with him. The guy has immense natural charm (which is not really a characteristic I associate with Deadshot) and when he puts that out in his films, well he's fantastic.

If anything, my beef isn't with Smith but the people who conceptualized this version of Deadshot and then cast Smith in the role (and of course wrote the steaming pile that was the story of Suicide Squad, the first 30 minutes are tolerable but the rest makes a bad episode of Arrow look like Shakespeare).

The real tragedy of his casting as Deadshot, is that he could have been a terrific John Stewart - who could have carried a solo GL film easily.

BTW I have enjoyed disagreeing with you, because of the highly civil tone you have taken in your replies - which is precisely the kind of open discussion that makes this whole forum a good place to hang out and express ideas. Full credit to you Sir.

:clap:

Last edited:
While we disagree on a lot of stuff, and that's not a problem, I must correct you on the emboldened statement.

I do like Will Smith. I loved him as the Fresh Prince, in Independence Day and in the Men in Black films. I admired his acting range in Ali and in the Pursuit of Happyness - although I still don't think it's a particularly wide range, and I classify him as a "good" actor, rather than a "great" one.

E.G. Denzel Washington is a great actor, and can make almost anything he's in better (or at least watchable)

Morgan Freeman is a great actor, and despite having nearly the same delivery in every film, makes a movie better just by being in it.

Christian Bale is a great actor who can do heroic, villainous or tragic characters and sometimes combine all three ( not sure how he'd be at straight up comedy).

Jamie Foxx borders on being a great actor - some of his films Collateral, Any Given Sunday, and Ray show an incredible range.

Will Smith is not in the same weight class as these guys - if Freeman and Washington were heavyweights and Foxx a cruiserweight, then Smith would be a Super Middleweight or Light Heavyweight at best.

Don't get me wrong, the guy can be incredibly entertaining - but just doesn't suit dark, villainous characters. He's best with action/comedy or roles where we want to sympathize with him. The guy has immense natural charm (which is not really a characteristic I associate with Deadshot) and when he puts that out in his films, well he's fantastic.

If anything, my beef isn't with Smith but the people who conceptualized this version of Deadshot and then cast Smith in the role (and of course wrote the steaming pile that was the story of Suicide Squad, the first 30 minutes are tolerable but the rest makes a bad episode of Arrow look like Shakespeare).

The real tragedy of his casting as Deadshot, is that he could have been a terrific John Stewart - who could have carried a solo GL film easily.

BTW I have enjoyed disagreeing with you, because of the highly civil tone you have taken in your replies - which is precisely the kind of open discussion that makes this whole forum a good place to hang out and express ideas. Full credit to you Sir.

:clap:

Fair enough, I dont actually disagree with you on Smith, in the right role he can be really good. I thought Deadshot was a good role for him, and would like to see more of him as the character. But we obviously disagree on that so let's just agree to disagree.

And yes it's always good to have a civil discussion on here, to be fair from previous conversations with you I have been in and witnessed with other posters I know you are always civil whether you disagree with the poster or not, so full credit to yourself also :up:

Is Deadshot compelling enough to carry a movie by himself? He seems like a villainous version of Nightcrawler, a fun character in a team setting where he can play off of other characters, but not interesting enough to be in an solo adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"