• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Preview of "Thor: Tales of Asgard" Animated Movie

Gotham Knight was cool. The problem was that they tried to mimic what the Animatrix was doing and lost the avant garde feeling that made the Animatrix awesome in the process.

Gotham Knight was cool. The problem was that they tried to mimic what the Animatrix was doing and lost the avant garde feeling that made the Animatrix awesome in the process.

I loved Gotham Knight, but I wish it had felt like they at least tried to connect BB and TDK. I mean, would a reference to Harvey Dent or The Joker have killed them?

Also I generally hated GOTHAM KNIGHT. Superman/Doomsday was a big disappointment.

Disagree on GK. I thought it was great. However, I have to agree with you on Superman Doomsday. There was so much wrong with that movie, not the least of which being that they marketed it as an adaptation of The Death of Superman, when it was really not at all. If they were thinking straight, they would have made a trilogy. Or at least tack on another half-hour on the running time. But as it was, they just butchered it. Plus, the Superman design was God-awful. The cheekbones... ugh. I did like Marsters as Luthor, though. Overall, it was just a very poor start to a great series of movies.

GK was great. New Frontier was even better. And I'm sure WW will also be pretty freakin awesome.

I loved Gotham Knight, but I wish it had felt like they at least tried to connect BB and TDK. I mean, would a reference to Harvey Dent or The Joker have killed them?

I think they should have done quite a few things more differently. I think they should have done more than just anime like the Animatrix did. Connect Batman Begins and The Dark Knight better. And have the cast of the Nolan Batman movies do the voices instead of Kevin Conroy (saving him for The Long Halloween and Public Enemies DTVs).

Marvel really needs to stop screwing around with their DTVs. Thus far, they've done six, and only Hulk Vs. could be classified as great, IMO. And maybe the first Ultimate Avengers. What they need to do is stop making kiddie crap and adapt stuff that teen-adult fans would like to see (like Hulk Vs.) and that kids would enjoy too. I'm sure kids would ****in' love Marvel Zombies.

I agree, but they do have a Planet Hulk DTV feature scheduled and I can't see that being teeny-bopperish at all. They really need a Bruce Timm(in his prime) clone over there at Marvel Animation.

^^^^^
I wish they'd just get Bruce Timm DC animation looks 100 times better than what marvels been putting out everything is way too anime inspired either that or make it look more like the 90's spidey and x-men those were really good then imagine how they could look now. but yeah this idea to knock off dc animation and infuse it with anime bothers me a lot.

Heres what should be done after Planet Hulk...

World War Hulk (dont necessarily want it, but I'm sure that PH is leading up to it)
New Mutants (not rehashing all the characters that have already been done 1000 times before. NO WOLVERINE! There could be a good story here.)
Marvels (I'd love to see the 60's style Marvel characters in animation.)
Marvel Zombies (Bad. Ass.)
Blade (What's this ******** about a reboot?! Just do stuff in animation. Dont recast in live action.)
Secret Wars (Do it!)
Daredevil (Daredevil anything. Origin, Elektra, whatever...this guy needs more media exposure.)

There are much more, but I'm too lazy. And I really hope Marvel branches out from just these same four guys that always write and direct. Come on, lets change things up some, shall we? I know Bruce Timm is behind all the DC DTVs, but they have revolving directors and writers and creative teams. Marvel should do the same.

All I can say is that Planet Hulk better have the gravage Hulk as the main Hulk throughout it and not try to slip in the stupid, 3rd-person speaking Hulk.

Superman/Doomsday is not a bad film if you dont look at it like as an adaptation of the comic.

There are some films that need to be animated(probably wwh) and stuff that needs to be live action(Blade),

I hope that "tales of asgard" continues with direct-to-video releases..

There's nothing wrong with something like Tales of Asgard. Also, Matt Wolf is a much better voice actor for Thor.

And Hulk VS. was a lot of fun and was something different as well. I hope we see more stuff like that.

I think they are doing a good variety of the animated releases. Not everything has to be like the one before.

I saw the promo on the Hulk Vs. DVD. I'm willing to give it a shot, since it's a movie rather than a teen Thor series. How Thor & Loki grew up to become the enemies they ended up being is a decent concept. Here's hoping they do it well. But a teen Thor series would suck, just like that abomination they're doing with Iron Man's new cartoon series.

There was actually a comic series from which the movie is based. It wasn't bad.

Superman/Doomsday is not a bad film if you dont look at it like as an adaptation of the comic.

There are some films that need to be animated(probably wwh) and stuff that needs to be live action(Blade),

I can agree with that, except for the design for Superman was ****ing terrible. The cheekbones looked horrendous. But there was plenty of good stuff in Doomsday. I loved Marsters' Lex Luthor.

I never understood why they use this type of animation - I know some people hate anime style but i think the more adult and detailed approach like Afro Samurai would be a really great attempt for a thor style animation

I never understood why they use this type of animation - I know some people hate anime style but i think the more adult and detailed approach like Afro Samurai would be a really great attempt for a thor style animation

Funny you should say that. The writer of the THOR: SON OF ASGARD comic was, IIRC, one of the writers on the RECORD OF LODOSS WARS anime. I also heard that there are a couple of anime artist and/or animators who are either working on the THOR: TALES OF ASGARD movie or has/is working on the other straight to DVD animated Marvel movies.

Why do you guys keep saying it looks like anime? :huh: I just don't see it. And to say the Timm universe art is better than Marvel is crazy. Timm's universe, they all had the square arms and bony legs.......only the last 2 Marvel dvd's art sucked. The first 2 Avengers, IM, and Dr. Strange had pretty good art and was very fluent in their movement, though they were not the greatest of movies. Timm's universe is the opposite, BMTAS, SMTAS, JL, JLA, while were great tv shows, the art sucked on that show. :o

While I am aware of THOR: SON OF ASGARD as a mini series, I was not especially looking forward to "Teen Thor" as the next DTV. Still, if NEXT AVENGERS proved anything, it was that it wasn't the worst of the Marvel/LG DTV's; INVINCIBLE IRON MAN was. I am sure it will turn out better than those two, so I likely will buy it. I honestly doubt anyone wants to see adventures of Teen Thor before we have ever seen many animated tales of ADULT Thor, but whatever. Once I see a full trailer, I can better gauge.

Plus, I wasn't thrilled with early rumblings on HULK VS., and it turned out great.

Still, I am more looking forward to the animated stab at PLANET HULK. That could be F'ing EPIC.

I honestly doubt anyone wants to see adventures of Teen Thor before we have ever seen many animated tales of ADULT Thor, but whatever.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! An Ages of Thunder adaptation.

While I am aware of THOR: SON OF ASGARD as a mini series, I was not especially looking forward to "Teen Thor" as the next DTV. Still, if NEXT AVENGERS proved anything, it was that it wasn't the worst of the Marvel/LG DTV's; INVINCIBLE IRON MAN was. I am sure it will turn out better than those two, so I likely will buy it. I honestly doubt anyone wants to see adventures of Teen Thor before we have ever seen many animated tales of ADULT Thor, but whatever. Once I see a full trailer, I can better gauge.

Plus, I wasn't thrilled with early rumblings on HULK VS., and it turned out great.

Still, I am more looking forward to the animated stab at PLANET HULK. That could be F'ing EPIC.

I know, man. I hope it's as violent or more so than Hulk vs. was.

Ever see that old animated HEAVY METAL movie? Something along the lines as the last segment in THAT film would be great for Planet Hulk. :hulk:

The pics in the last column are God awful. The top one looks like Thor's doing the liberaci version of the sound of music. And the bottom one he looks all psycho.

For Planet Hulk, I just hope they capture the raw emotion at the end of it.

If they do, the film will have succeeded, for me.

I hate to repeat myself, but here's my big complaint with Thor and all the Asgardians as portrayed in all Marvel animation: WHY THE HELL DO THEY HAVE BRITISH ACCENTS?!?!

Shouldn't the Norse god of Thunder, and the Norse pantheon of gods, have NORDIC accents? Why do they always sound like characters out of Monty Python & the Holy Grail?

Do the casting directors not see the word "Norse" in the character bios? Do they not understand the difference between a Norseman and an Englishman? Do they think Thor is the British god of Thunder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"