Project: 'The Last Airbender' Done Right

mr. peasant

Sidekick
Reaction score
Not sure where this goes, either in the movie section or here. So, I've posted it here for now. Mods feel free to move it to the Misc Movies section if appropriate (and ideally, I'd prefer it to be there due to higher traffic). Anyway:

Korra's been over for a week now. Feeling deprived and going into withdrawal symptoms, I came across Shyamalan's The Last Airbender on TV and thought I'd give it a watch. Only to regret it instantly. I can't help but feel that a 400 foot tall purple platypus bear with pink horns and silver wings could write a better movie than Shyamalan. As such, I figured I'd give it a whirl.

My thinking is that of all the seasons, the first one is actually the easiest to adapt into a movie. The only integral parts are the first few episodes and the last ones. The entire middle section is pure filler with only minor character development (at least in comparison to Zuko in season two, for instance) once the status quo is established. By sticking to the events of the season and trying to mention as much of it as possible, Shyamalan's felt more like a narrator providing a synopsis of the season than an actual movie. As such, my approach is to take what I feel are the most important elements and try to mash them together to make a coherent story.

I'll be doing it in parts, of course, since I want to go into detail. Links to the parts as well as a list of the changes I've made to the series will be placed below:

• There will be no Momo. I couldn't think of a role for him to play so *snip*. :oldrazz:
  • Instead of Katara, Gran Gran is the narrator for the opening sequence.
  • Katara will be able to heal from the get go. Thus, there would be no need to explain how and when she does later in the story, thereby saving time.
  • The identity of the Avatar can be revealed through an enchanted compass (that starts off in Zuko's possession at the start of the movie). This is to simplify how the Fire Nation can track Aang's whereabouts and how people identify a new Avatar.
  • The Fire Nation did not attack all four Air Temples synchronously but instead first attacked the one Aang was in. They only wiped out the remaining three when they couldn't find Aang and the compass no longer tracked him (since he was in ice), in order to take him out.

Tips, thoughts, feedback, etc welcome.

Last edited:
Act 1

Prologue/Scene 0:

• Opening narration similar to the TV series; the narrator explaining about the setting - the four nations, the Fire Nation's war, the Avatar's role in maintaining balance and sudden disappearance, etc - before ending by saying that although nobody knew what happened to him or if the Avatar would return but the World was waiting.
  • Throughout the narration, the scene shows Rokku/Aang in a temple doing a kata, bending all elements. When the Fire Nation's war is mentioned, the stage erupts in fire at the stomp of the Avatar who then continues with the kata, before disappearing in a gust of wind at the mention of his disappearance as the stage continues burning.
  • The scene switches to a garden in a cave. There is a pond where a black koi with a white spot on its head (La, the Ocean Spirit) is swimming counter-clockwise. As the narration continues, an old woman is revealed to be praying by the pond with joss sticks.
  • As she finishes up, she puts on thick, fur-lined coats before stepping out of the cave to reveal herself to be surrounded by an ice and snow covered landscape before moving away as the title "The Last Airbender" appears onscreen to theme music.

Scene 1:

• The scene switches to a patch of sea dense with icebergs. A single rowboat with two occupants - Sokka and Katara - the only people visible. Sokka is clearly out hunting where as Katara seems to simply be waving her arms about.
  • Sokka throws a spear but catches nothing. Annoyed, he scolds Katara, saying that she is chasing all the fish away.
  • Katara disagrees, saying that she can help. She then continues bending. Water begins to rise with a fish caught in it. It looks like it's about to work but she brings it in too fast with a sudden movement; sending a torrent of water straight at Sokka.
  • Cue a soaked and annoyed Sokka staring at his sister while the fish swims off in the background.
  • Sokka tells Katara off for continuing to practice her bending, saying that it is dangerous and that someone might see her. He had promised to look after her while their father was away. Katara replies that she didn't need looking after and that Sokka is barely a year older than her. This leads to an argument.
  • Suddenly, Katara notices a strange-looking iceberg. Sokka tells her to stop changing the subject but Katara bends the boat to the iceberg anway, much to Sokka's protest.
  • There is a roughly humanoid silhouette inside the iceberg. Peering inside, Katara thinks she sees someone and is convinced that she can Waterbend it out. Sokka tells her to leave it well alone but to no avail. Katara's Waterbending triggers a reaction and the silhouette's eyes begin to glow, along with an arrow-shape on its head.
  • The iceberg explodes, causing the boat the two of them are on to capsize. In the background, Katara is swimming towards an unconscious boy but the scene focuses on Sokka, who is floating on the water's surface. He says, "Great, you blew up an island.".
  • Suddenly, a massive, hairy head with a humungous mouth emerges from the water as if to gobble up Sokka who lets out an effeminate scream upon realising this before the scene turns to black.

Scene 2:

• The scene transitions to a huge ship out at sea. Sokka's scream of "Aaahh!" turns into a loud, satisfied "Aaahh!" from an old man (Iroh) as he is enjoying a cup of tea. He is sitting by a table with tea laid out for two, while also playing around with a seemingly broken and badly battered compass. Taking a sip ofhis tea, he then tells Zuko to join him before the latter's tea got cold. Then, he casually tilts his head to dodge a fireball sent his way.
  • The camera turns to reveal a bare-chested Zuko (hey, he is the draw for the oestrogen brigade) sparring against four armoured soldiers. They are all Firebenders. Iroh continues to pester Zuko. Losing his temper, Zuko fires off a burst that takes out all four Firebender guards at once before storming over to Iroh.
  • Zuko snatches the compass away from Iroh, angrily telling his uncle off for his laid-back attitude, reminding him that they were on a mission and that the compass was the key to Zuko regaining his honour.
  • Iroh points out that the compass is broken but Zuko angrily storms off. Iroh calls out if that meant Zuko didn't want any tea only for Zuko to scream in irritation and slamming the door after him as he enters the main part of the ship.
  • Iroh makes an offhand comment to himself over Zuko's impatience. Taking a sip, he then hears what sounds like a distant explosion. He barely has time to wonder what it is when a huge commotion erupts from inside the ship. The sound of fire erupting, followed by a clatter of metal and finally Zuko comes rushing out, compass in hand.
  • Showing it to Iroh, the compass is seen spinning rapidly before coming to a bearing - pointing straight for the South Pole. Surprised, Iroh comments that the compass had never done that before.
  • The camera then focuses on the compass.

Scene 3:

• The camera still focuses on the camera as the scene changes to a different place, and the compass becomes less battered, almost pristine. The scene is at the Air Temple. A monk (Gyatso), flanked by two others, is holding it with the compass pointing straight at the young boy standing in front of them.
  • The boy (Aang) is surprised and frightened as they inform him that he is the Avatar. He doesn't want to believe it, especially when the monks inform him that he is to move to the Southern Air Temple to continue his training under a new master. Aang begs to stay to continue under Gyatso. However, Gyatso sadly tells Aang that he would like it to but the decision is out of their hands.
  • Cut to night. The temple is in chaos. Gyatso rushes into a stable where Aang is tending to a huge Sky Bison (the same animal that emerged from the water in Scene 1). Aang is confused, asking what is going on. In the background, you can hear a lot of fighting and there is a lot of smoke. Gyatso says there is no time to explain and orders Aang to escape to the Southern Air Temple.
  • Aang begs Gyatso to come with him but Gyatso replies that he needs to buy Aang time. Aang doesn't want to go but Gyatso blows Aang onto the Sky Bison before commanding, "Appa, yip yip!". The bison takes off with Aang on it. Just then, Fire Nation soldiers barge in. The last thing Aang sees of this is Gyatso blocking their path. As Gyatso disappears from view, Aang sees a huge burst of fire from the stable. The further they get, Aang sees that the entire Air Temple has been set aflame.
  • Cut to a terrible storm. Aang and Appa are flying through a blizzard through turbulent seas, unable to see anything. Shards of ice whip past, one cutting Aang at the shoulder. Finally, a violent gust knocks Appa and the two disappear under the ocean.
  • Switch to Aang's POV. Aang's world begins to turn to black as he drowns. But the blackness at the edge of his vision turns into many dark silhouettes. He can hear whispering noises but can't make sense of them.
  • Switch to what's going on. Aang's eyes and arrow tattoo begin to glow and the water around he and Appa begins turning to ice; completely enveloping the two of them.

Scene 4:

• Aang wakes up from the nightmare/flashback. He finds himself in a tent. Instinctively, he reaches for his injured shoulder. Except, it's healed.
  • Katara enters the tent, pleased to see Aang had woken up. She then reveals herself to be a Waterbender and explains that it was she who had healed his shoulder. She then introduces herself.
  • Switch to outside the tent, revealing the Southern Water Tribe village to be nothing but a few igloos and tents. A few really young kids are seen playing around Appa, using him as a sort of living slide.
  • Switch to Sokka and Gran Gran (she is the old woman from the prologue) as they watch the kids play. Gran Gran comments that the Sky Bison isn't so bad to witch Sokka, covered in goo, angrily replies that it slobbered all over him before instantaneously apologising, saying "Sorry Gran Gran" when he remembered who he is talking to. The two then go on to discuss the boy they found in the iceberg.
  • Gran Gran reveals that she recognises the tattoos as Air Nomad tattoos - having heard about them as a child. Sokka replies that that was impossible.
  • Just then, soot begins falling from the sky. Sokka lets out a fearful "uh oh" before yelling for everyone to get inside.
  • Katara tells Aang to stay inside while she steps out to find out what is the commotion.
  • Cue Zuko's ship making landfall. Zuko, Iroh and several guards disembark. Sokka and Gran Gran stand in their way, blocking to the rest of the villagers. Only old women and young children watch on from behind them.
  • Zuko arrogantly identifies himself as "Zuko, heir to Lord Ozai and Crown Prince of the Fire Nation and its colonies". He announces that he is looking for the Avatar; explaining that he would be an old Waterbender, probably the oldest in the village.
  • Sokka angrily replies that the Fire Nation had already taken all their Waterbenders and that there were no benders left in the village, before charging at Zuko. Zuko easily takes him out by throwing a bolas at him. This ensnares Sokka who tumbles to the ground before coming to a halt at Zuko's feet.
  • Zuko is about to strike Sokka with fire when a splash of water knocks him to the ground. It is Katara. Believing her to be the Avatar, Zuko orders his men to capture her. A struggle ensues.
  • Then, Aang emerges from the tent, ordering everyone to stop. Upon seeing the Airbender tattoos, Zuko realises that Aang is the Avatar. Aang agrees to peacefully go with Zuko as long as Zuko promises not to hurt his friends and to leave the Southern Water Tribe alone. Katara tries to protest but the deal is done and Zuko leaves with Aang without further incident.

Scene 5:

• Katara watches on from a cliff as Zuko's ship disappears into the horizon. She is shocked at Aang's true identity as the Avatar but is more upset over her friend's departure. Gran Gran tries to console her. Gran Gran goes on to say that it was no coincidence that Katara found him and believes that their fates are intertwined. This fires Katara up to find a way to rescue Aang.
  • As she heads to the beach, Katara is surprised to see Sokka already loading up his rowboat. When asked, he explains that he was going to rescue his sister's "dumb boyfriend from the dumb Firebenders".
  • This surprises Katara as Sokka hadn't even said two words to Aang. However, Sokka dismisses it, saying that Katara seemed sad that Aang was gone and that he hated to see his little sister sad.
  • Touched, Katara thanks Sokka and the two get on the boat. As they depart, Sokka notices Appa following them into the water. He wonders what the Sky Bison is doing. Then, without warning, Appa dives underwater. Sokka barely has enough time to say that he had a bad feeling about it before Appa bursts out from the water under them, smashing through Sokka's rowboat and snagging them along for the ride as he takes to the air.
  • Scene ends with Sokka screaming again.

Last edited:
Not bad. I was a little skeptical at first with there being no Momo and a magical compass, but the way you have setup everything it fits. However, I think having Aang fly back to the air temple and finding Momo, would fit just as well before being captured at the southern water village.

Also, the way you describe your scenes are good, but for a script would not be setup that way, as you may know. Scene changes every time a location changes, but I get what you were trying to do here.

I would like to see the rest of Act 2 and 3.

Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean when you say it's not like a script. A script's about a page per minute. It'd take too long to do and more importantly, too long for people to read. Indeed, my current concern is that it is already too long/difficult to read my writing. Should I cut back on the details, instead just getting straight to the point of each scene/event?

As for Momo, it's not that I couldn't find a way for Aang to encounter Momo. That's easy enough. It's just that I couldn't think of anything for him to do.

Also, some early warning in that I plan to make fairly liberal changes in Act 2; least of which being no trip to the Southern Air Temple, encountering of Gyatso's remains or triggering of the Avatar State.

Momo could be the absurd comic relief?

Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean when you say it's not like a script. A script's about a page per minute. It'd take too long to do and more importantly, too long for people to read. Indeed, my current concern is that it is already too long/difficult to read my writing. Should I cut back on the details, instead just getting straight to the point of each scene/event?

As for Momo, it's not that I couldn't find a way for Aang to encounter Momo. That's easy enough. It's just that I couldn't think of anything for him to do.

Also, some early warning in that I plan to make fairly liberal changes in Act 2; least of which being no trip to the Southern Air Temple, encountering of Gyatso's remains or triggering of the Avatar State.

Yeah, stay away from the script format, as it would be really long if written here lol. Plus it's not needed.

Keep the details. It helps to paint a picture. The many synopsis in bullet points help. Try to limit to 5 or 6 if possible so that the read goes quicker. Just a suggestion, do what you want though this is your baby :woot:.

That's what makes Momo 'Momo' he doesn't need to have a role necessarily, he just does his thing and helps out when he can. Like the other poster said he can be the comic relief if you want. He an be Appa's buddy, as in the cartoon. But if you don't want him don't use him.

Do what you want in Acts 2 & 3. I would rather see the Avatar state come later anyway. Plus after 100 years Gyatso 's remains would be almost dust right? If not then I'm sure they would be scattered and unrecognizable anyway.

So are you re-writing the movie your own way or are you incorporating all the books too?

Re: Incorporating other books, at the moment my idea is to go the same route as the first movie - namely adapting the first season of the animated series. Not planning to squash all three into one movie or having thought of how the sequels would play out since this entire project was spawned off as an instant reaction against the Shyamalan movie.

Act 2a

Scene 6:

• Switch to Zuko's ship. Aang is tied up in a bare, metal room. Zuko and Iroh stand over him, interrogating him though it is more Zuko than Iroh doing the talking.
  • They use the compass again to verify that Aang is indeed the Avatar.
  • After that, Zuko demands to learn how Aang is still alive and still so young after all that time, as well as what he was doing at the Southern Water Tribe village. However, Aang innocently responds that he doesn't understand Zuko's questions. Naturally, this infuriates Zuko, who doesn't believe Aang's ignorance and feels the Avatar is toying with him.
  • Zuko is about to threaten violence when Iroh stops him; reminding Zuko that they do not harm prisoners and more importantly, the Avatar is supposed to be their guest.
  • Zuko is about to disagree when a guard steps in, informing Zuko and Iroh that a giant, wooly creature has been spotted flying in the air, following the ship and that the two troublesome Water Tribe villagers were riding it. Impulsively, Zuko orders the soldier to shoot them out of the sky.
  • Aang begs Zuko not to attack his friends, reminding the Prince about the latter's promise. This causes Zuko to hesitate for a moment before yelling at the guard not to just stand there and that orders were already given.
  • Cut to random Fire Nation guards on the ship's deck as they arm a catapult mounted on-deck before lighting the boulder on fire.
  • Cut to Katara and Sokka as they ride on Appa through the air. Katara says that they are catching up to the ship. However, Sokka then worriedly points at something ahead of them, saying, "Erm... Katara? What's that?". It is the flaming boulder heading straight for them.

Scene 7:

• Cut back to Aang. Zuko is pressuring Aang to give him what he wants. Desperate to save his friends, Aang is forced to escape. Arms still tied, he bends air using his legs and spinning motions - knocking Iroh and Zuko down and forcing open the door. Aang then makes a run for it.
  • Aang is now on the ship's deck; still tied. Spotting the catapult, Aang bends air to launch him at its operator like a spinning torpedo; using his head as an improvised battering ram (think M Bison's Psycho Crusher).
  • After taking him out, Aang is now surrounded by more guards. He then tries to fend them off by simply dodging their attacks; unable to return the attacks without the use of his hands.
  • Realising Aang is in trouble, Katara tells Sokka that they need to help Aang. Sokka, holding the reigns to Appa, agrees before asking who was going to help them first as more volleys of flaming boulders fly their way. Sokka and Appa take evasive maneuvers before crashing onto an ice island alongside Zuko's ship.
  • Back to Aang. A barely missed fireball accidentally burns through the rope tying him. Free, Aang quickly takes out the Fire Nation guards attacking him. Spotting Katara and Sokka, Aang makes a run for it. As he launches himself into the air, a fireball from the side knocks him back onto the ship. It is Zuko.
  • Spotting Zuko's arrival, Katara is more frantic than ever that they need to do something. Meanwhile, Sokka's attention is turned towards a nearby ice mountain as he says that he has a plan; a cunning smile on his lips.
  • Cut to the top of the ice mountain, which Sokka has climbed onto. From there, he hurls petty insults at the Fire Nation guards aboard Zuko's ship. The sound of a catapult. Then, the ground Sokka is standing on grows brighter. A flaming boulder headed his way.
  • Sokka makes a run for it, muttering to himself how sucky his idea was. As the boulder hits the ground, he leaps off the opposite side of the mountain. The ice beneath him warps into a slide that he travels down to regroup with Katara. Meanwhile, the boulder triggered an avalanche.
  • Zuko and Aang are still fighting when the falling ice crashes onto the ship. Using the distraction, Aang makes a run for it; jumping from falling block of ice to falling block of ice. Zuko continues to give chase. A misstep causes Zuko to find a huge torrent of ice about to crash over him. That's when someone leaps across the screen, pulling the Prince to safety. It is Iroh. Despite having his life saved, Zuko is annoyed as he watches Aang escape with his friends.
  • As Aang, Katara and Sokka fly off atop Appa, Aang is still trying to make sense of what's going on. He says that he needs to go to the Southern Air Temple for advice, believing the mentors there could help give them the advice and answers they needed.
  • The scene ends with Katara cautiously beginning to tell Aang that they need to talk.

Scene 8:

• It is now night. And the trio and Appa are in a cave. There is a fire going. They are all about to rest. Aang is on his own a little, sitting by and staring straight into the fire. He is feeling down.
  • Sokka tells the others he spotted a town nearby when they landed; saying that he would get supplies in the morning since they lost all the stuff they packed when Appa sank his rowboat.
  • Sokka and Katara discuss what they were going to do next since they can't go home. At the same time, Sokka is concerned that the Fire Nation will attack their village in retaliation.
  • However, Aang cuts in saying that Sokka, Katara and the villagers would be safe since Zuko was only after Aang, and that Zuko had a special compass that could track him anywhere around the world. Moreover, Zuko had promised to leave the village alone.
  • Sokka snarkily counters with "Like how he promised not to harm us?". However, Aang replies that it was only because Sokka and Katara had come for him.
  • Aang and Sokka are about to argue but it is stopped by Katara who asks if Aang is alright. Sokka butts in, bluntly pointing out that it was no surprise since Aang had just found out that he had been frozen in ice for 100 years and that in that time, his entire civilisation had bee wiped out.
  • Staring daggers at her brother, Katara shoots a blast of water at Sokka's head, freezing it into a block. Sokka is knocked over by this. His hand shoots up from the bottom of the screen as he dazzedly concedes that he deserved that.
  • Katara then then sits beside Aang. The glow of the fire lighting their faces in stark contrast to the rest of the pitch dark surroundings. They talk. Aang feels that if he had not run and had instead surrendered to the Fire Nation from the beginning, they would not have attacked his people. That had he not disappear under the ice, the Fire Nation would have been able to track him down instead of attacking every Air Temple to flush him out. He is overwhelmed by guilt, feeling that he is directly responsible for the extinction of his people.
  • Moreover, Aang feels alone. To this, Katara reassures Aang that they are his family now and that they weren't going to abandon him; which helps him feel a little better.

Scene 9:

• Cut to later. The fire is out and everyone is asleep. Aang suddenly wakens. He turns to Katara, waking her to ask if she heard a sound, which in turn awakens Sokka who thinks it's just Aang's imagination.
  • A second sound snaps them all wide awake. That one was definitely not anyone's imagination. Someone was there.
  • Suddenly, a flying projectile (a metal fan) hits Sokka in the head; knocking him out.
  • Aang and Katara leap into action as several figures enter the cave. It's too dark to get a good look at them but they are all women, wearing green kimonos under heavy armour while their faces in Kabuki makeup (they Kyoshi Warriors, but the GAang and viewers don't know this yet).
  • Aang and Katara try to use their bending but the intruders close in the gap too quickly. At such close range, their bending maneuvers are too easily intercepted and redirected.
  • Katara is knocked out. Aang calls out to her but he too is taken out shortly after.

I haven't forgotten. Still reading and will post comments later.

Ok, my apologies for the very late reply to your Act 2. Just finished reading and I like what you got. Way better than the movie IMO, so far. I like how you incorporated some old friends, cartoon moments, character personalities in the short amount of time (2 Acts, 1st movie), very clever.

Are you working on Act 3 or is it finished yet? Reading this sounds like you could have been one of the writers for the show. I also like the term "GAang" sounds like something Sokka would have thought of in addition to Team Avatar lol.

So glad you brought in the K Warriors. I'm a fan of when movies/shows introduce as many characters as they can, in clever ways, but that progress the show and don't bog it down.

In my mind, I have the movie starting with Episode 6 from Season 3. Where Roku and Sozin are fighting. We learn that they were once friends, and we also learn a little about Roku. Reminds me of Obi One allowing himself to die so that he could help Luke. Once he dies, we see a closeup of Aang's face with his eyes closed and they suddenly open. Gyatso comes in and gets him out of bed - takes him down to get 'tested'. So on and so forth.

Not that I don't like it when we do a "look back" later in the story line, but I think opening with something with a little more action would hook the watcher from the start.
With this, we learn alot of the information that was missed in the movie. IMHO. We also get to actually meet Roku, and get to know him a little bit. We never really understood any of the relationships of past Avatars in the movie. Never was the 'Avatar State' even mentioned that I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"