ps3 is a power sucker.

Ice-man

Sidekick
Reaction score
News comes from http://ps3-evolution.dcemu.co.uk/

gamers, expect one hell of an electric bill.

PS3 Twice as Power-Hungry as XBox 360

Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3, due on US shores on November 17, sucks up 380 watts of power, a far cry from the PS2 which sips a mere 45 watts. That means the PS3 uses more than twice the 160 watts consumed by the Xbox 360. The PS3's 380 watts will cost you around $40 a year to run if you play it two hours a day.

This appears to bode well for the Nintendo Wii, which, according to Kou Shiota, a key member of the console's design team, will have outstanding power efficiency: "With a smaller chip and minimised power consumption, Wii can be left on 24 hours a day." Note that Shiota didn't indicate the exact wattage used by the Wii. And, Nintendo's Wiiconnect24 service requires the Wii to be left running 24 hours a day, so that might cancel out that power advantage. Either way, you gotta pay to ride the train.

EDIT

ps3land also decided to inform its users of this power problem, they said it much better tho and gave better info

http://ps3land.com/article-926.php

New details on PS3's power consumption

Today Sony released some new details regarding how much power the PlayStation 3 would consume when plugged into a standard outlet. The PS3 will consume, at max, 380 watts of power. This means that the PS3 consumes more than double the power of the Xbox 360 (160w) and eight times the amount of the PS2 (45w). Even more so, if a consumer was to play the PS3 at max power for 4 hours every single day for a year, the PS3 would add around an additional $80 to his/her yearly electric bill.

It is also important to take into consideration that the PS3 will consume 380w at it's peak performance. This means that the system would have to be running every application it can handle. We at PS3Land believe that the PS3 will in no way consume that much power if the owner is simply booting up the PS3 or scrolling through the OS. In other words, it is doubtable the PS3 will be running at 380w constantly.

With power consumption like this, it is easy to see how closely the PS3 resembles a computer and the power a computer requires to operate. It is also amazing to hear that the PS3 does not have a power brick, runs quieter than certain consoles, and has yet to have any type of over-heating issues.

Holy ****! :wow:

$40 a year... sounds small, but it adds up over time!

oops read wrong i thought it said 40 a month lol 40 a year isnt that bad

But you can play online for free, provided your electric doesn't get shut off. :p

$40 a year isnt all that much. Thats about $3.33 a month and I dont think people are really worried about this

Havok83 said:
$40 a year isnt all that much. Thats about $3.33 a month and I dont think people are really worried about this

$40/yr = XBOX Live Gold for a year

Also, with it using up electricity at twice the rate of an XBOX360 imagine how hot those things must get! :wow:

Havok83 said:

thats only for two hours tho. i think alot of people are going to be playing more then 2 hours a month.

imdaly said:

Also, with it using up electricity at twice the rate of an XBOX360 imagine how hot those things must get! :wow:
I never thought about that... They better have a really powerful fan in that thing or it's gonna overheat like woah... :wow: It could potentially have even more problems then the 360 in that department. And plus, Playstation doesn't have the best reputation for reliable systems. I only had one PS2 since like, 2001 but I barely played it. I know plenty of people that have been through 2 or 3 of them.

Im on my forth ps2 (and its on its last legs). My launch PS2 lasted a month before it totally died.

Im not shocked about the power consumption of the PS3. Back when the tech specs of teh Cell were released I said that its going to run alot of power and could have serious heating issues.

I think it has the potential of making the X360 overheating problems look like nothing. Lets face it... Most people are going to stick it in a tiny closed entertainment unit and run it for hours on end.

imdaly said:

I still dont think people will worry about the overall cost of their power, assuming they even pay for power. I didnt think of overheating but you bring up a good point. My PS2 is 5 years old and still runs. I did have a power issue with my PS1 though and had to replace it

Mentok said:
Im on my forth ps2 (and its on its last legs). My launch PS2 lasted a month before it totally died.

Im not shocked about the power consumption of the PS3. Back when the tech specs of teh Cell were released I said that its going to run alot of power and could have serious heating issues.

I think it has the potential of making the X360 overheating problems look like nothing. Lets face it... Most people are going to stick it in a tiny closed entertainment unit and run it for hours on end.

Also, take into account that with the XBOX360 having the power supply seperate from the rest of the unit, it lowers the risk of the heat of the power supply from affecting the main unit. The PS3's power supply is trapped in the same casing as the rest of the hardware...

Havok83 said:
I still dont think people will worry about the overall cost of their power, assuming they even pay for power. I didnt think of overheating but you bring up a good point. My PS2 is 5 years old and still runs. I did have a power issue with my PS1 though and had to replace it

My point is that those that make a big deal about the cost of XBOX Live keep saying "think about how much that extra $40 a year will cost in the life of the system". Well while PS3 will save you $40/yr by giving you its sub-standard online service, I'll be saving $40/yr on saved electricity.

imdaly said:
Also, take into account that with the XBOX360 having the power supply seperate from the rest of the unit, it lowers the risk of the heat of the power supply from affecting the main unit. The PS3's power supply is trapped in the same casing as the rest of the hardware...

Yeah, I am looking forward to someone tearing into the PS3 so I can see how the internals are set up... I would want a decent partition between the PSU and the rest of the internals.

Remember when Video Game Systems used up less power than a light bulb. Those days are now OVER!!!

Plus add a couple of hundred dollars a year to power your brand new 1080p HD display :D

I can't wait for the lights to dim everytime I start up my PS3; set's the mood...

Everyone in the street better like mood lighting :D

Hey... The x360 can cook eggs...

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/xbox-360-cooks-your-breakfast-211030.php

So I guess that this really is true then :eek:

PS3GrillTease.JPG

It did say that the PS3 had to be at it's full potential, which probably won't happen in most games, but I'm no game developer,so don't listen to me.

Great... my father already complains now about the electric generated by my PS2 and PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"