Pumped for Night of the Owls

BatmanReborn

Future Dark Knight
Reaction score
So, here’s the thing, since the birth of the New 52, I have personally been a very torn comic book reader. It should probably be noted as well that I have always been strictly a Bat-Book reader, with the exception of the major event crossovers, because I like the powerless heroes much better. Sitting in my office today, I am a 28-year-old fan who has been reading since I was 9. That was the year 1993, and the world was actually incredibly different. Bill Clinton was President, Facebook and Twitter had not even been conceived yet, the first human embryo was cloned, Michael Jackson got charged with child abuse for the first time, cell phones could only make calls, and one of my all time favorite films, Jurassic Park hit theaters and absolutely amazed me! Why the history lesson? I simply want you, my reader, to understand that as young as I still am, a hell of a lot has gone down in the world since 1993, especially in comics. My first comic stories featured Jason Todd as Robin, they were old issues already, but a local flea market had them in a box. I basically hit comics hard in the Knightfall storyline (big reason why I cannot wait for Dark Knight Rises) and never came back out. Tim Drake was Robin, Dick Grayson was Nightwing, Jason was dead, Barbara was paralyzed, oh, and Damian Wayne was an elseworld character (remember those).
I watched as Azrael became an insane Dark Knight, and watched Bruce make his triumphant return. Obviously a ton of things happened after that, but for the sake of not boring anyone too much, Ill jump ahead to, well, last year. Bruce Wayne died, well not really, he got lost in time, but while he was gone, Dick Grayson took on the mantle of the Bat, and his sidekick, Damian Wayne, Bruce’s son became Robin. Tim Drake moved on to become his own man as Red Robin, Selina Kyle became a hero, Jason was losing it over grief, Barbara was Oracle, coordinating the team, and Stephanie was Batgirl. Mass evolution was happening in the Bat-World, and I loved it! Why, because it seemed natural, it was story progression, it was changing the status quo in ways that we couldn’t return from. Characters were growing with me, how cool was that!
Then they announced Bruce Wayne was returning, and for a moment I was concerned, because I did not want to see things go back to the way they were after so much work went into the past events. To my surprise, something crazy happened, and it was known as Batman Incorporated. Things wouldn’t go back, they would go miles further, or so I thought.
Fast forward to today, Bruce Wayne is the one and only Batman, Dick is Nightwing, and holy crap Barbara is Batgirl again! The entire Bat universe went back in time yet stayed in the present thanks to a cross over event known as Flashpoint. My two biggest issues with the reboot, my favorite character outside of Bruce is Tim Drake and he mine as well not even be a member of the Bat family anymore, and Barbara Gordon is Batgirl again! WTF!
I was actually one of the incredibly angry readers when I heard about Batgirl, and honestly I refused to buy the issues.
That’s where I give myself a rebuttal. The stories in the New 52 are, for the most part, incredibly well written. I finally caved due to overwhelmingly positive reviews, and read Batgirl. The first story arch was amazing!
Snyder’s work is nail biting!
The main issue I am currently having is simply the thrown away history, the idea that all that stuff happened in a very small window is hard to swallow, and I just feel like I got slapped in the face. The Snyder story could have fit in the old timeline just as easily as it is fitting here. Above all, I want Tim Drake back in his own series, out of that stupid new suit, and back in the mentality he had just prior to the New 52. For me I think, in my timeline of reading, Tim has been the character to see the most evolution. I think he has also suffered the most from this New 52.
So far I do not like the new Teen Titans book either.
BUT—now DC and its terrible new toilet bowl logo have announced a Bat family cross over event known as Night of the Owls, and its bringing the whole family back together, including Tim Drake/Red Robin. I am incredibly pumped! I miss Bruce Wayne and Tim Drake’s partnership, and I miss the big brother little brother hatred between Tim and Damian. The chance that we could see some of that old magic return is a huge thing for me. Not to mention, Snyder writes these characters with incredible precision. So, bottom line, for me anyway, is that I really miss the old DC universe, but maybe I can get some of it back this coming April with Night of the Owls.
p.s. I still want Stephanie back as Batgirl, and Barbara back as Oracle.

it bothered me in the last issue of Batman when they showed all the people worried about Bruce and Tim wasn't there.

I'm loving the Snyder stuff so far and I'm really quite encouraged that DC has enough confidence in him to pin a crossover on his story.
I'm also happy to hear that this "crossover" will actually be made up of concurrent standalone stories as opposed to that sickly hodge-podge of writers and artists playing unsteady tag-team that almost all crossovers end up as.

Yeah, generally I hate crossovers for the reason Hyden mentioned, but as long as I don't have to buy every crappy bat-book that DC puts out that month, I'm fine with it. I'm sure the really important story will be contained to the main title anyway.

How many issues is this crossover going to run in each issue?

it bothered me in the last issue of Batman when they showed all the people worried about Bruce and Tim wasn't there.

Ya, very much me too.

Im hoping that maybe in the new Batman Inc. Bruce will somehow find out that the timeline has changed.

I'm loving the Snyder stuff so far and I'm really quite encouraged that DC has enough confidence in him to pin a crossover on his story.
I'm also happy to hear that this "crossover" will actually be made up of concurrent standalone stories as opposed to that sickly hodge-podge of writers and artists playing unsteady tag-team that almost all crossovers end up as.

Wait, what? Where was this discussed? So each part doesn't effect the other?

BatmanReborn said:
Ya, very much me too.

Im hoping that maybe in the new Batman Inc. Bruce will somehow find out that the timeline has changed.

I'm hoping that something in Inc. explains Stephanie's absence. Either her death (hopefully not) or her going undercover in some way allowing Barbara to take up the mantle.

Sitting in my office today, I am a 28-year-old fan who has been reading since I was 9. That was the year 1993, and the world was actually incredibly different. Bill Clinton was President, Facebook and Twitter had not even been conceived yet, the first human embryo was cloned, Michael Jackson got charged with child abuse for the first time, cell phones could only make calls, and one of my all time favorite films, Jurassic Park hit theaters and absolutely amazed me!

Imagine MY world in 1976 when I was 9 years old... :wow: :wow: :wow:

:cwink:

How many issues is this crossover going to run in each issue?

Nightwing will be crossing over for two issues. Everything else will crossover for one issue. Also unlike other Batman crossovers like War Games and the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, the main story is confined only within the pages of Batman. All other issues are 100% optional.

Nightwing will be crossing over for two issues. Everything else will crossover for one issue. Also unlike other Batman crossovers like War Games and the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, the main story is confined only within the pages of Batman. All other issues are 100% optional.

Well that's good news, I hadn't heard. I was actually really dreading all this crossover stuff but now that I can skip it all save the two titles I actually read I'm much more excited for it.

I'm in total agreement with "BatmanReborn" on the Batman titles. The core Batman titles have been pretty good, but could have been just as much a part of the previous DCU. I miss Barbara as Oracle, and cramming his history into 5 years is a glaring problem. As it is I think the core Batman titles, Aquaman and the Green Lantern titles may stay on my list, but I'm seriously considering dumping most of the rest.:csad:

I'm in total agreement with "BatmanReborn" on the Batman titles. The core Batman titles have been pretty good, but could have been just as much a part of the previous DCU. I miss Barbara as Oracle, and cramming his history into 5 years is a glaring problem. As it is I think the core Batman titles, Aquaman and the Green Lantern titles may stay on my list, but I'm seriously considering dumping most of the rest.:csad:

I enjoy playing Arkham City because Barbara is still Oracle. I liked Morrisons idea of having Barbara police the internet by virtually plugging in like Tim did in an issue of Red Robin. She would still be Oracle, but could virtually be Batgirl.

I really, really miss Tim being in the main stay bat-family by the way, in case I didnt already mention that.

Also, after reading the second part of Batman Inc the other day, I really miss Stephany

Wait, what? Where was this discussed? So each part doesn't effect the other?.

I heard Snyder say it on a podcast. That theres his complete story plus whoever wanted to get in on it could have a stand alone. Snyder said most people jumped at it because they loved the idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"