Something about this relaunch doesn't make sense.

Batjosh

Civilian
Reaction score
So, within 5 years or so...

• Batman starts fighting crime
  • Dick Grayson becomes Robin
  • Barbara becomes Batgirl
  • Dick Grayson grows up and becomes Nightwing
  • Jason Todd becomes Robin
  • Barbara retires as Batgirl
  • Jason Todd gets killed by the Joker
  • Barbara gets shot and paralyzed
  • Tim Drake becomes Robin
  • Tim Drake becomes Red Robin and joins the Teen Titans
  • Jason comes back from the dead, as an adult, and becomes Red Hood
  • Damian, Bruce's teen(?) son, appears
  • Bruce disappears, Dick becomes Batman, Damian becomes Robin
  • Bruce comes back, travels around training other vigilantes
  • Dick goes back to being Nightwing
  • Barbara's better, and becomes Batgirl again
  • Bruce and Damian are Batman and Robin, fighting crime in Gotham
Do I have the general idea right? That just seems like a lot to be going on in five years. Or is it that, at Detective Comic #1, Batman has already been Batman for five years and by Batman & Robin #1, Batman has been around for ten years? Damian's age seems to be throwing things off for me.

Also, is Jason being alive still due to some sort of Superboy Prime Falcon Punch on time itself or is it something more like the movie version now?

Doesn't happen in 5 years.

Batman operated roughly 10 years before Superman showed up becoming the first "PUBLIC" super hero. During that 8 to 10 year period, Bat's was known simply as an urban legend.

Green Lantern Too apparently.

Alright. That makes a lot more sense. It's funny that keeping up with Batman comics became more difficult (for a moment) once they did this.

Doesn't happen in 5 years.

Batman operated roughly 10 years before Superman showed up becoming the first "PUBLIC" super hero. During that 8 to 10 year period, Bat's was known simply as an urban legend.

Green Lantern Too apparently.

has this actually been confirmed by DC or is it just fan excuse to make sense of something that doesnt make sense?

and regardless, what about all the other superheroes that were involved in these batman stories, who apparently no didnt exist when those stories happened?

Yeah, it was confirmed.

And yeah, just about everybody else being shoved into 5 years and completely rebooted screws quite a bit of it up. Much of the Titans history is gone as well. (And lets not even start with the JLA)

So far, quite honestly, Im not a fan of the relaunch. What about Knightfall? What about No Mans Land? Awesome stories with very large impacts, did they happen, and if so, even given 10 years, holy crap a lot went down in ten years!

Did Red Robin sales drop or something, because I hate Tim being solely in Teen Titans, he became my favorite post crisis character, and really shined in the absence of Bruce.

As a 28 year old who has grown up on Batman comics, I feel like I watched these characters grow up, something the other heroes (mostly due to there powers) didnt really do. To a very big degree, I feel robbed. I already am planning on dropping a bunch of titles next month.

JLI I didnt like at all
Batgirl was a snoozefest (by the way, I loved Steph as Batgirl, and absolutely loved Barb as Oracle, and with a now passed on best friend who lived his life in a wheelchair, quite frankly, felt sort of offended at just starting a series off where, oh wow, she is better now??? I dont think they actually have an answer for how she healed either, I think they are plugging that they do because of the outlash they got, and are now scrambling for an idea.)
Why did we get Batwing instead of Nightrunner? And why cant we just have a Batman Inc. title where all the bat-themed characters have adventures.
Not quite sure how much of INC. is really canon anymore anyway.

I dont know, unless I hear that this flashpoint concept will get scrapped next year and return to the timeline prior, I may be done with the new 52 at issue 1.

Major disappointment

Don't forget that during this time Bruce had a son with Talia that already reached 10 years old

quickly goes back and inserts page of batman meeting her and gettin busy into my copy of batman year one :)

We should try to collect like a wiki of the new 52's batman history

if it turns up dent is dead, ill begin to think that its the future of Nolans batman series since obviously Ra's would have to be part of his origin, and The Joker is out of the writers way close to Heath's portrayal.

Anyone notice is Crane wears a suit???

So far, quite honestly, Im not a fan of the relaunch. What about Knightfall? What about No Mans Land? Awesome stories with very large impacts, did they happen, and if so, even given 10 years, holy crap a lot went down in ten years!

Closer to 15 years, which is basically what it was pre-Flashpoint anyway. If Batman was operating for roughly 10 years -before- Superman showed up, and the current arc in Justice League is set 5 years in the New 52's past, then he's been going at it for about 15 years. So Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc, should all be more or less fine. Though there have been some changes for sure, like Batman and Catwoman no longer knowing each other's secret identities.

And other stuff we'll find out as they make s**t up on the fly. :o

Closer to 15 years, which is basically what it was pre-Flashpoint anyway. If Batman was operating for roughly 10 years -before- Superman showed up, and the current arc in Justice League is set 5 years in the New 52's past, then he's been going at it for about 15 years. So Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc, should all be more or less fine. Though there have been some changes for sure, like Batman and Catwoman no longer knowing each other's secret identities.

But thats just my point, I loved Hush as a story simply for the development of Bruce and Selina. Without that we dont have Heart of Hush which for me was brilliant.

But thats just my point, I loved Hush as a story simply for the development of Bruce and Selina. Without that we dont have Heart of Hush which for me was brilliant.

That's a great point, DC really has mucked things up, at least in regards to Bruce and Selina. I wonder if that'll change Morrison's Batman Inc/Leviathan storyline once it gets up and running again. Bruce and Selina were basically partners in the first few issues of Inc, but then Flashpoint/New 52 sprang up right when it seemed it was reaching the home stretch. She was included in the group shot in the cover of Inc. 6, but wasn't present at the actual meeting in the issue. My guess is she won't be utilized in the rest of the story, thus avoiding any pre/post-Flashpoint contradictions.

But still, seems like a lot of stories post-Hush Bruce and Selina stories just got either heavily retconned or wiped out completely. :whatever:

Alright so I haven't read anything that was relaunched yet, but what is this I hear about Joker's face getting ripped off and hung on a wall? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

He hooked up with some dude and had his face taken off and nailed to a wall.

Apparently he thought it was a good idea.

Wow. What issue/title was this?
It reminds me of Red Skull taking his own face off in Ultimate Avengers :awesome:

Oh. Yeah I don't care about the continuity at all. The Joker scene sounded different so I wanted to check it out. Is that Detective Comics #1?

Ya huh.

Just remember, it's a shock ending that could have awesome potential, but it's still being written by a sub par writer and will more than likely end all crappy like. :o

Ah. Yeah that's why I haven't read anything from the relaunch yet. I wanted to wait for at least a few more issues to come out before starting anything.

Actually, it's pretty easy to predict the quality of a lot of comics.

We all knew Detective would suck. And does what it does? It sucks.

We all know Batman would be awesome. And guess what? It's awesome.

Also, you need to go out and buy either Action Comics, Animal Man, Batwoman or Swamp Thing. I won't respect you if you don't. :o

Do I get 3/4 respect for picking up all but Batwoman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"