Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Tarantino at his most reserved probably since Jackie Brown and then Sam Jackson's monologue opens the can of worms that turns the piece into Tarantino glory, but the slow build up in the first section is crucial because it's probably the first film of his in a long time where he earns the violence and the vulgarity BECAUSE he builds up to it. As much as I love Bastards and Django, they are absolutely absurd from the getgo, which is great, but this was a lot like Dogs and Pulp Fiction, where the shock and vulgarity felt more real and much more earned in a sense, because he played it more straight as he built it up. If you watch Pulp Fiction and Django back to back, there's no denying that Tarantino was more reserved once upon a time and I think The Hateful Eight brings that Tarantino back.

And it's great to have that Tarantino back. I much prefer him a little more subdued than some of his later works have given us.

And it's great to have that Tarantino back. I much prefer him a little more subdued than some of his later works have given us.

I agree. Kill Bill is my least favorite Tarantino work because of exactly that. He's incredibly too self-indulgent with the violence. This feels so earned.

Also, glad you saw the film and liked it! Hope my harsh words were never taken too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"