Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. The performances carry the movie and I had absolutely no problem with it being dialogue heavy and whatnot. It just seems like a filler movie at the end of the day though, like just more Tarantino fun while I wait for his next big thing.. and that's coming from a huge fan.

I still had a smile on my face most of the time and had alot of 'oh crap!' moments though. Like I said, it's still classic Tarantino fun

I guess I know what your'e saying, especially with him saying that he's doing two more movies left. I hope his TV series idea doesn't count as a 'film'.

I ****ing hate the way this is being released. In one part of my state a theater is getting it tomorrow. In another part of my state a theater is getting it on December 30. And in my part of the state my theater isn't getting it until at least the second week of January.

panda-rage-2-o.gif

It's a ****ing QT movie. It will sell. Just released the thing on Christmas, which is one of the biggest days for theaters in the U.S. Is that so damn hard for Weinstein?

The movie was good, but a few flaws kept it from being great. I love the 70mm angle, but it's a weird choice when it's confined to a single room.

I really liked this. I was getting bored at the beginning with the slow pace but stuck with it and it ended up being worth it.

Very unique movie.

I'm not a big fan of Tarantino's work. I thought the movie was ok. If your really into Tarantino then you will probably love it.

I found it weird that some critics said this movie has no message when there is clearly the movies message was about race relations

Seems like a lot of theaters are struggling with the film projection. The skillset and infrastructure just aren't out there any more.

It's like asking the smartphone generation to use a rotary.

I just got back from a CinemaScope showing. I really loved it. Tarantino at his finest. This is going to be like Jackie Brown where a portion of fans think it's a middle-tier work, while another portion think it's some of his absolute best work.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Tarantino's work. I thought the movie was ok. If your really into Tarantino then you will probably love it.

I found it weird that some critics said this movie has no message when there is clearly the movies message was about race relations

Hmm so that's like 3 movies in a row now for him.

I'm not making a point just find it interesting.

He considers himself an honorary black man. :o

I didn't get any "message" from this movie. It's no secret that QT likes to say a certain word a lot (or have his characters say it, anyway). It's like saying Pulp Fiction is about race relations because "Jimmy" goes on that dead storage rant...

Pulp Fiction does not take place at the aftermath of Civil War with its main characters having actively participated on either side of it and proudly embracing their ideals.

Pulp Fiction does not use the mysticism [BLACKOUT]surrounding the black penis and how it terrorizes insecure white males. [/BLACKOUT]

Pulp Fiction does not have a scene where Jackson's character spells out [BLACKOUT]why he uses a fake letter of Abraham Lincoln to bring white folks to let their guard down, because the only way a black man can be safe in America is if a white man is unarmed. [/BLACKOUT]

Pulp Fiction does not have Tim Roth [BLACKOUT]divide the room in half with one acting as Georgia and the other Philadelphia. [/BLACKOUT]

Pulp Fiction does not have [BLACKOUT]a confederate white racist and a union black man team up at the end.[/BLACKOUT]

Movie starts in two hours. I read the leaked script awhile back. I'm giddy to see that on screen, and to see what he tweaked and changed.

Just got back from the Roadshow showing in St. Louis. Thankfully everything went great.

I have to say, all hype aside, this really was an experience. My family sees a movie for Christmas every year. I convinced them to wait a day so that they could join me for this film. My parents are Tarantino fans and we saw Django for Christmas when it was released but this was something else. I hadn't heard that they would be giving out printed handbills, which are indeed very nice. Lots of nice photos and information about the projection. When the overture began,everyone really started to wonder what they had gotten themselves into.

All of that is really just set dressing for the film itself, which even on its own I have to say is pretty good. This might be the straightest Tarantino has played a film since Jackie Brown. I'm sure there are scenes and things borrowed from other movies, including The Thing, and he even has several call backs to his own but this really was just a direct attempt at making a western, straight up. No blackploitation sound track or overt stylistic gags. Despite the heights of the tension and the gore, I'd say this is the most subdued Tarantino has been. His work here is almost all in the blocking within the setting.

If I'm disappointed with anything the movie I have to say I don't think it ever pulled off any amount of tension building as great as the bar scene in Inglorious Basterds which is the kind of thing this film seemed like it would be a showcase for. That said the movie does make good use of most of it characters, bouncing them off one another.

I'd give the film an 8 out of 10 and not just to be cute about it.

I'll have more things to say as conversations continue but I will add that the film does have a few "Tarantinoverse" winks:
The most overt is a couple of gags involving Red Apple cigarettes.

Tim Roth's character, Oswaldo, is British and it is revealed that his real name is Hicox, presumably a relative of Inglourious Basterd's Archi Hicox.

Also you would have to ignore pretty much the entire movie to not see that Tarantino had a few race related points to get across.

Welp, no Hateful Eight for me. Got a refund. Showed up 45 minutes early to the showing and it was 100% full. Funny part is, I had bought my ticket earlier this morning. All the manager did was give me the usual "So Sorry" spiel and give me a refund. This super exclusive 70mm horse**** is gonna drive me to just pirate the ****ing film to spite Taran-****ing-tino.

So a theater messed up so you blame Tarantino? Also the movie goes wide in 6 days. Grow up. Or just go to a screening tomorrow.

I saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT, and I absolutely loved it. I'll need to rewatch to be sure, but on first impressions it's up there with my favourite of Tarantino's films. Full review coming later, but I will say that a lot of stuff people seemed to dislike about the film - the lengthy running time, dialogue heavy, confined to a single setting, lacking much of he kitsch retro charm of his other recent efforts - were what I loved most about it. One of the year's best.

This film is hilarious. SLJ's story about the old codger's son was unexpected and a lol moment. Have the feminists hounded QT over this film yet?

Tried to go super early this morning. Every showing for the ENTIRE day is sold out. I'm tempted to pirate it and watch it on my iphone to spite this idiotic release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"