Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to go super early this morning. Every showing for the ENTIRE day is sold out. I'm tempted to pirate it and watch it on my iphone to spite this idiotic release.

If you're that stupid, you don't deserve to watch this film, regardless.

Read that again. I didn't call you stupid.

Also it gets a wide release Thursday. Quit crying.

Last edited:
Tried to go super early this morning. Every showing for the ENTIRE day is sold out. I'm tempted to pirate it and watch it on my iphone to spite this idiotic release.

How is it any more "idiotic" than any other limited release? Most of these things show up on one or two screens in LA and New York.

How is it any different than Star Wars being sold out for days on end?

Having OB and the sherriff nail a rope line out to the outhouse struck me as a direct reference to The Thing but weirdly one that never went anywhere. That rope line was never used for anything afterwards.

Also for all the talk about Morricone, this film was surprisingly music free. What score there was was pretty good. I didn't expect to hear a Jack White/White Stripes song early in the film. It turns out White's record label is the company releasing the soundtrack on vinyl.

I'm upset because the wide release is going to differ from the limited release.

As someone who's seen both versions, the differences are cool in 70mm. They wouldn't be that cool in 70mm.

Thus my frustration with being unable to get in. Of course, I'm being hyperbolic in my "rage" over not being able to get tickets. I understand the why behind the limited release and all that. I just can't help but be an angry, frustrated fan boy. Doesn't help that the one theater they picked in my area to show it is god awful.

Having OB and the sherriff nail a rope line out to the outhouse struck me as a direct reference to The Thing but weirdly one that never went anywhere. That rope line was never used for anything afterwards.

Also for all the talk about Morricone, this film was surprisingly music free. What score there was was pretty good. I didn't expect to hear a Jack White/White Stripes song early in the film. It turns out White's record label is the company releasing the soundtrack on vinyl.

Yeah that didn't go anywhere. I guess it was a way to keep the other character pre-occupied or out of the room, until they are needed.

As someone who's seen both versions, the differences are cool in 70mm. They wouldn't be that cool in 70mm.

Does the regular version of the film have the intermission? If not, does it still have the narration?

Quite frankly I can't imagine the film without the intermission. It felt necessary for the audience to collect ourselves after the scene that leads up to it.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT is a film that's going to divide people, even Tarantino fans. I saw someone compare it to JACKIE BROWN, in that it could be a film that gets the cold shoulder and may not be fully appreciated until years from now, and some of the lukewarm early responses suggest that could indeed be the case. It may suffer from following DJANGO UNCHAINED and therefore being expected to act as some kind of double-bill with that blistering revenge epic, when in fact aside from the Western genre and a couple of thematic resonances, THE HATEFUL EIGHT is a very different film. It feels less like a DJANGO UNCHAINED/INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS "movie movie" than an Agatha Christie style locked-room parlor mystery. But, and I acknowledge this could be down to the euphoria of first viewing and my opinion may alter on repeat watches, for me at least, THE HATEFUL EIGHT is astounding, and ranks up there as one of Quentin Tarantino's finest films.

One of the most disarming things about THE HATEFUL EIGHT is how small it is. So much has been made about the deluxe 70mm format being employed for a limited theatrical run, which might make you expect something epic and expansive in scope, but what we get instead is Tarantino's most intimate film since RESERVOIR DOGS. Yes, we get some gorgeous, snow-swept Wyoming vistas in the opening sequences as Kurt Russell's dogged bounty hunter John Ruth travels on a carriage with captive fugitive Daisy Domergue, pursued by an approaching blizzard, picking up fellow bounty hunter Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L Jackson) and newly appointed sheriff Chris Mannix (Walt Goggins) along the way. But once the ragtag band take shelter in remote outpost Minnie's Haberdasherie as the storm settles in, the entirety of the rest of the film takes place in and around this cramped single-room setting with its bar, its dining table, its communal coffee pot and its fireplace armchairs. It's quite conceivable to imagine the film being performed as a play. The effect is claustrophobic, and with the capacity for action dialled way back, every little character interaction and line of dialogue becomes amplified and laced with a heightened degree of impact. The tension builds and builds, and when the action finally does kick in, it's like a tightly-wound spring being set loose. And when you spend such an extensive period of time in the same location in the company of the same characters, it's all the more powerful when it eventually, inevitably becomes a blood-soaked horror house.

With such a stationary film, much of the weight is therefore going to be placed on the dialogue to carry proceedings, and this film may boast some of Tarantino's greatest ever scripting. The big strength of THE HATEFUL EIGHT lies in its characters, and how Tarantino is able to build a set of distinctive characters that his talented cast then convincingly inhabit and make real and fully-realised, so that watching the various pairings of these figures play off one another becomes electrifying viewing.

If you were to pick out a lead in this ensemble piece, it would probably be Tarantino stalwart Samuel L Jackson as Major Warren. And Jackson more than rises to the challenge, delivering his best performance since at least... well, DJANGO UNCHAINED, and perhaps his best leading role performance since PULP FICTION. Major Warren is a fascinating figure, monstrous in his own right, but enough less repellent than many of the others to draw our sympathies. Jackson taps into that particular intensity he has where he can tread the line between being a badass you want to cheer on while also being genuinely frightening.

Kurt Russell, meanwhile, is an actor who's always a welcome presence in films for me. He's an icon from that 1970s/1980s action movie heyday that can actually act, and I feel the one thing stopping him from garnering more acclaim is that he isn't prolific, often only showing up in one or two films every few years. But it's kinda admirable that he marches to the beat of his own drum and only does the kind of offbeat projects he finds interesting, such as this. John Ruth isn't a particularly pleasant person, but he's probably about the most upfront character in the film, and Russell is clearly having a blast channeling John Wayne in his performance.

But it's Walt Goggins who could be the big revelation of the film as Chris Mannix. One of several actors to make the leap from DJANGO UNCHAINED in a new role, I had heard that Goggins in fact originally had a much bigger role in Tarantino's previous Western, only for most of it to be left on the cutting room floor. Tarantino must have felt bad about that, as here Goggins gets a really meaty part, and plenty of monologues to get his teeth into. He has one of the more interesting arcs of the film, coming across as almost immediately repulsive - an unapologetic Confederate racist who speaks proudly of the lynchings he participated in - but who over the course of the film reveals more shades and nuances and comes to surprising understandings with other characters. Goggins is an actor I've been a fan of going back to his time on THE SHIELD, so I'd be very happy if this led to him getting a boost in profile.

I also greatly enjoyed Tim Roth as jaunty hangman Oswaldo Mobray, the kind of quirky part which I can imagine with very minimal rewriting could have been played by Christoph Waltz. Really, though, the whole cast is stellar. Almost every character is hiding something, be it a secret or some hidden connection to another character, and that mystery tied into everyone's performance just makes this a fascinating, engrossing puzzle box of a film.

I also want to give a shout-out to the legendary Ennio Morricone providing an original score for the film. People might have been expecting something along the lines of his classic soundtracks for THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY or ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, but what we instead get is something much more sinister, reminiscent of his moody work on John Carpenter's THE THING. Which, come to think of it, is very appropriate.

The dialogue-heavy presentation and the hefty, near 3-hour running time may be daunting for some, but I must say the film flew by for me. There are twists and turns I can't really get into, but I will say I was sat on the edge of my seat, hooked, throughout. Masterfully written and directed, wonderfully acted, THE HATEFUL EIGHT might not be everyone's cup of tea (or cup of suspicious coffee, if we're at Minnie's), but it was most certainly mine. A nasty, mean-spirited treat of a film... and with its snowy setting, character's talking of visiting relatives for the holidays and carols being played on the piano, it is officially a Christmas film too!

9/10

Could be Tarantino's meatiest, most politically and socially relevant movie yet.

Best cinematography in a Tarantino movie so far.

All of the actors do top notch job, but no one is gonna win an Oscar. Channing is the only one who was miscast.

Inglourious Basterds 9.5/10
Pulp Fiction 9.5/10
Jackie Brown 9/10
The Hateful Eight 9/10
Reservoir Dogs 9/10
Django Unchained 8.5/10
Kill Bill Vol2 8/10
Kill Bill 8/10
Death Proof 8/10

Got my tickets to see it in 70MM today in a couple of hours and it's almost sold out.

Didn't seem like it was selling out as fast today. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get in.

I really enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would and I'm glad I didn't read the script beforehand. The first half started slow (but that Samuel L. Jackson monologue just before the intermission was gold....give that man an Oscar already), but the second half was fantastic and seemed to fly by. Jackson owned the movie, but Leigh, Russell and Goggins were also pretty good in it. I wouldn't put The Hateful Eight up there with Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds and I don't think it was as good as Django Unchained either, but it's leagues better than Death Proof and Jackie Brown.

I never read the leaked script but apparently there were some pretty drastic changes. The letter becomes pretty central to the film but apparently in that version the letter is only involved early on and never mentioned again.

So anyways a few things

tumblr_o00au5SiMr1qbg6fto1_540.png

tumblr_njw6b9CGkM1sadkc2o1_540.jpg

Oswaldo by macbethoff on tumblr
tumblr_o03r7yUFHH1ry2wjuo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
Does the regular version of the film have the intermission? If not, does it still have the narration?

Quite frankly I can't imagine the film without the intermission. It felt necessary for the audience to collect ourselves after the scene that leads up to it.

There is no intermission. It's a break between chapters like the rest of the film, but it is a bit longer than the others. The narration is still there.

The scene with Daisey and the guitar is edited differently and the scene about the unlucky chicken or whatever is cut out. I didn't notice any other changes.

Hey weezerspider, did you see this conversation about 70mm between Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...for-celluloid-more-in-40-minute-talk-20151225

Yeah, that's an awesome conversation even if Quentin doesn't allow his buddy PTA to get much words in. :funny:

To those who have seen this, does the film warrant the 3 hour runtime? It seems like a Resevoir Dogs scale film and story, and that's done in less than 2 hours. What makes Hateful Eight need nearly double the runtime?

To those who have seen this, does the film warrant the 3 hour runtime? It seems like a Resevoir Dogs scale film and story, and that's done in less than 2 hours. What makes Hateful Eight need nearly double the runtime?

On one hand, I'm not sure it did really. On the other hand, I'm not sure what I'd cut as most of it was setting up chess pieces so to speak. It just unfortunately, in my opinion, wasn't particularly engaging enough in that setup or in the payoff to warrant the length.

Last edited:
Finally saw it last night at 11:30pm. Bought my ticket at 8 and just sat at the theater until showtime. Decided if I was gonna see it I was gonna have to go out of my way. All my grump and frustration was worth it though because I do believe this is Tarantino's masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this film. The characters were absolutely fantastic, the story gripping and the cinematography lush and inviting. Walton Goggins steals the show in my opinion. Great performances all around though. I plan on seeing it again with my girlfriend this weekend. Only complaint I have is I felt annoyed by the intermission. I just wanted to keep watching the movie! Overall it was certainly worth the wait. Hell of a movie.

Everyone who I've seen it with all found it to fly by for how long it is. I felt the same way both times, once with and once without the intermission. I don't think the length is an issue.

I had no problem with the length at all. It had terrific pacing.

This is Tarantino at his most reserved probably since Jackie Brown and then Sam Jackson's monologue opens the can of worms that turns the piece into Tarantino glory, but the slow build up in the first section is crucial because it's probably the first film of his in a long time where he earns the violence and the vulgarity BECAUSE he builds up to it. As much as I love Bastards and Django, they are absolutely absurd from the getgo, which is great, but this was a lot like Dogs and Pulp Fiction, where the shock and vulgarity felt more real and much more earned in a sense, because he played it more straight as he built it up. If you watch Pulp Fiction and Django back to back, there's no denying that Tarantino was more reserved once upon a time and I think The Hateful Eight brings that Tarantino back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"