• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question about Hal Jordan and racism

That would have been a good response had I asked, "how much of a problem did he seem to have with it?"

No Leaguer I am not declaring WW3 on Darthphere.

green-lantern-green-arrow2.jpg

I haven't seen the rest of this comic, and I thought I heard somewhere, but was Hal Jordan suppossed to be sort of racist or something?
Or was it just showing that he didn't tackle real world problems?

...Hal isn't a racist, I don't remember him demanding seperate facilities for Stewart.

Not sure if Hal is racist but John Broome might be. :csad: Gotta love when minority characters get slogans like "Great fish-hooks!"

eskimo6sw.jpg

BTW the picture was scanned from Green Lantern "Amazing Theft of the Power Lamp!"

I posted this quote from a diffrent thread,

I dont like the Hal, Ollie and black canary club, its lame to me. Hal is like the sleezy friend who taps your shoulder while you're having sex with your g/f and whispers in your ear "ask if i can join".

Any body else get that vibe from him? I ask that here because all of the Hal haters/defenders are in this thread.

I just watched Secret Origins of the DC Comics
I explains very well that comic scene,
Its not meant to show Hal as racist. Green Arrow watches Hal stop a young man from harassing a business man on the streets. He sends the kid to jail but then the people on the street throw trash at him,
Green Arrow explains why,
the young man was the only means of income for his sickly grandmother. The business man was kicking everyone in that building out so he can turn it into a shopping mall,
The African American old man who says, " I see you have done a lot for purple and green skins, What have you done for black skins?"
It was meant to show that Hal has been out fighting aliens in space too long, forgot about his fellow man. Helping all people from Earth, not just African Americans, but anyone.
Hal, in that instance, wasn't meant to be racist, just out of touch.

It was meant to bring real world issues into comics, this was taking place during Nixon, during a time when the young writers and artists were angry at what was going on around them.

Last edited:
Wow, this one got dragged back from the dust bins. Didn't it?

one of the more spectacular threadsurrections, yeah.

SIDE NOTE why the hell is leaguer still banned

come on Corp

fix this

Hal is not racist

He will punch people of all races and species :dry:

As long as he goes easy on Brown people.

I hear he really hates people with black on the left sides of their faces. Everyone knows that real people have black on the right side of their faces.

:hal: :hal: :hal:

Hal's a total racist. WHITE gloves, POWER ring... Coincidence?

(Actually, yeah).

Out of context it makes Hal look sort of racist, but I heard the artist and writer talk about it, it was meant to show that Hal was doing nothing to help his fellow man. Something Superheroes in Comics hadn't really been doing until then (except for Superman when he was first created. He fought a wife beater, a crooked landlord, and I think some hate group on the streets or something. Until the Wortham trials Superman was a violent crusader against social problems.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"