question for guys - do you like any chick flicks?

flower

Civilian
Reaction score
have you ever been dragged to the cinema by a girlfriend wanting to watch a chick flick...and you end up liking it :wow:
if so, what are the chick flicks that you like?

Josie and the Pussycats was probably intended as a chick flick, but lots of guys like it (including myself).

If you think about it, half of John Hughes' movies were basically chick flicks. But they transcended the genre.

Does 500 Days of Summer count as a chick flick?

Pretty in Pink is a good movie, nothing to be ashamed about.

Depends on what you mean by 'chick flick,' do you mean an emotional movie or an actual chick flick where the chick is the protagonist? There are very few chick flicks that catch my eye - I just can't connect to them, which is an imperative for me with everything I watch. Do I watch emotional movies? Definitely.

I'm saying this because my cousin once called 'Life As a House' a "chick flick" when the story was about an estranged father rebuilding his life with his troubled son. In that sense I don't understand the term of the word, to me that's a father and son movie while the chick flick would be if it was about a mother and daughter.

Comically even the closest movie you could find with a male protagonist and mostly male cast that was originally deemed and is still thought to be a 'chick flick' - 'Magic Mike' - what I've found is more girls hate that movie (it's not really about Channing stripping) and more dudes like it because it is about an energetic life filled with freaking hot women throwing themselves at you.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Mean Girls, but I don't consider it to be a full-blown chick flick.

Sure.

I've never really found "chick flick' to be a particularly useful descriptor.

I thought Love Actually was a really good romantic comedy and I'm looking forward to About Time.

I thought love, actually was great too. (500) days of summer was fantastic too.

There are probably no chick flicks made that are any good. However there are some romantic comedies that are very good like When Harry Met Sally or Love Actually. I dont consider them chick flicks though.

I enjoyed 13 going on 30 because it showed Jennifer Garner had range outside of tough action Alias girl. Plus I kinda had a massive crush on her at one stage.

10 Things I Hate About You.
Sixteen Candles
Some Kind of Wonderful
Mad Love

I liked 'Love and Other Drugs' alot. Aside from the...ahem obvious reasons, I thought it was a surprisingly dramatic piece and both Jake Gyllenhal and Anne Hathaway gave really strong, likeable performances.

Crazy Stupid Love, that is considered a chick flick and it's awesome.

I've always liked the film Moonstruck with Nic Cage and Cher.

If I like a movie – I like it. I don't care much for the kind of judgmental labeling. I try, as always, to keep an open mind.

Comically even the closest movie you could find with a male protagonist and mostly male cast that was originally deemed and is still thought to be a 'chick flick' - 'Magic Mike' - what I've found is more girls hate that movie (it's not really about Channing stripping) and more dudes like it because it is about an energetic life filled with freaking hot women throwing themselves at you.

Yep, I'll vouch for that. Hated that film.

I really enjoyed Mean Girls, but I don't consider it to be a full-blown chick flick.

Are you kidding?

That's like the definition of a chick flick. Right up there in my mind with Clueless and Legally Blonde.

Never by a girlfriend but I don't mind the odd chick flick. Mean girls and bridesmaids are both classics. Also they're kind of making chick flicks for guys now like "ted" and that film of Jason seagull and whatshisname, you know the one I mean!

When Harry Met Sally was good. Mean Girls, Ten Things I hate About You, Can't Hardly Wait are great. I used to love late 90s teen comedies. Little sister always got me to watch then when I was younger

And oh yea, I was obsessed with Clueless as a kid too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"