• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Question on Cobra Commander's origin

Well they did take a fresh take on some things. Dont think it was all bad.

Im confused now......with all the news I been hearing about GI Joe 2......signing the Rock to play a major part in it [not a bad idea by the way] , I never heard of Cobra commander returning. So who is gonna be the main villain?

In the UK Cobra Commander was originally Baron Ironblood, leader of the Red Shadows. He decided to start a new organization after being declared World Enemy Number 1 by the U.N. and started Cobra. Of course that was just a way for Hasbro to bring the Action Force mythos under the G.I. Joe umbrella when they bought out Palitoy (makers of Action Force) in the 1980's.

Come to think of it, Cobra does seem to have a large base of cash to draw from:

- Cobra Commander's own business
- Extensive Enterprises, which is shown to be a pretty huge company
- MARS, which is a major global arms dealer and security firm
- the rogue nations on Earth (Iran, North Korea, Somalia, Zimbabwe, Myanmar), some of the "dodgy" ones (China, Russia, Venezuela, Belarus, Indonesia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia) would likely have participated in Cobra's operations at some point

Whereas GI Joe really only has the backing of the U.S. Treasury, which we know isn't all it used to be.

Cobra commander was part of an ancient civilisation called Cobra-La, which did not have anything to do with cobra's, snakes or vipers etc. The name Cobra-la was a name in Cobra-La's own language probably, which we never heard in their short appearance of the 1 movie. The main characters Pythona - also a coincidence - and Golubulos spoke English. Nemesis enforcer didn't say anything, exclusing de roaring sounds.

CL was an ancient race that hid away during the last iceage. All of their civilisation was destroyed, never to be found again. After discovering what humanity had become they send in a scout who had to raise an army and to take over the world. This scout was CC.
He met up with Destro, a normal human, who sold him most of his weapons and vehicles, and he used them in his effort to conquer earth.

Does anyone even hold the G.I. Joe movies in high regard?
It did manage to get the Rock & Bruce Willis in part 2.

In the UK Cobra Commander was originally Baron Ironblood, leader of the Red Shadows. He decided to start a new organization after being declared World Enemy Number 1 by the U.N. and started Cobra. Of course that was just a way for Hasbro to bring the Action Force mythos under the G.I. Joe umbrella when they bought out Palitoy (makers of Action Force) in the 1980's.

That origin sounds more bearable than the Cobra-La one.

With all due respect to everybody here who "liked" the live action Joe movie.....all I can say is meh. I grew up with G.I.Joe in the 80s with the cartoons, comics, and especially the toys. This movie had virtually nothing in common to cartoon/comic series.
Revisiting this topic and reading your comments, one could argue that, for the most part, the 80s cartoon had a superior ongoing storyline and origins. Some ideas might benefit from tweaking to better fit the narrative, but it seems the movie either tried too hard or perhaps not hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"