[raises the Finger]

Darthphere said:
Wow, thanks for showing me this man. Where did you get these?

I have a couple of issues of Batman that Bill Finger was on but never actually noticed that.

Batman Chronicles. http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=2711
Highly recommended.
2711_400x600.jpg

Darthphere said:
I dont know what comics youre reading man.

Read through this. I've gathered quotes, etc. from here and there. He was not given credit for writing the stories until much later.
http://www.thebatsquad.net/finger.htm

Bob Kane said:
Now that my long-time friend and collaborator is gone, I must admit that Bill never received the fame and recognition he deserved. He was an unsung hero. Because he came into the strip after I had created Bat-Man, he did not get a by-line. Only later, in the seventies, after he was no longer writing the strip and some of his stories were getting reprinted, did he receive credit. I never thought of giving him a by-line and he never asked for one. I often tell my wife, if I could go back fifteen years, before he died, I would like to say "I'll put your name on it now. You deserve it."

I wonder....do all those who stand for Finger hate Kane?

Personally...I hold BOTH men as the creators of Batman.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I wonder....do all those who stand for Finger hate Kane?

Personally...I hold BOTH men as the creators of Batman.

Probably not, but it's popular to bash Kane in favor of Finger. I'm sure Finger would LOVE it that fans were calling Kane a greedy bastard because he never gave Finger any credit. That's what he wanted after all:rolleyes:

What I'm confused about is wheter or not Finger ever cared......I keep hearing that he never claimed anything, but other around him.

Spidey-Bat said:
Probably not, but it's popular to bash Kane in favor of Finger. I'm sure Finger would LOVE it that fans were calling Kane a greedy bastard because he never gave Finger any credit. That's what he wanted after all:rolleyes:

Hes a greedy bastard for a lot more other thing. And by greedy bastard I mean intelligent businessman.:D

ChrisBaleBatman said:
What I'm confused about is wheter or not Finger ever cared......I keep hearing that he never claimed anything, but other around him.

The times were different back then. Finger's dream was always to write, and he was happy doing that. Society wasn't as creator oriented at that time - no one ever got credit on covers, etc.

Hes a greedy bastard for a lot more other thing. And by greedy bastard I mean intelligent businessman.:D

Well, most GOOD businessmen are greedy.....lol

The times were different back then. Finger's dream was always to write, and he was happy doing that. Society wasn't as creator oriented at that time - no one ever got credit on covers, etc.

Yeah, see that's something to really think about. Superman and Batman were the first superheroes.......nobody ever thought they could make money off these "funny books".

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but alot of these things out after the fact, didn't it? That is....once Batman made it big. I know there's some allegations as to who created the Joker (with Finger and Kane had claimed they both did....or something, it seemed like an odd situation.)

I dunno....kinda tough for me hate on Kane. And I'm looking at this from the POV that Finger really created alot of things....like Gotham City, for example.....Gordon....

Sucks he didn't get credit for it. He'll be remembered regardless though for being co creator. Most people don't even know who Kane is I bet...as far a causual readers and people who just know of the character from movies and such. I didn't till last year.

[raises the Finger]

Well, real Batman fans know about Finger.....and I like to think most Bat-fans are conscious enough to know that BOTH men created the character. Funny too.....I see this situation ALMOST like the whole Stan Lee thing.

Everyone thinks that Stan Lee just created every Marvel character, and just **** the artist. Artists do have a bearing.....but most people don't seem to care. You never hear any mention anywhere of the artists like Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby.

Personally, I don't blame Kane. I blame DC Comics. There are loop holes through these things.

They could have the print say Batman created by Bob Kane.
Related characters and surroundings created by Bob Kane AND Bill Finger.

See what I mean? DC could find a loop hole in there, like that....They just don't want to.

Thing is, if Bob Kane really cared as he suggested in his quotes, why wait to do it post humously? Why not do it while the man's alive??

what a chode.

bulok said:
Thing is, if Bob Kane really cared as he suggested in his quotes, why wait to do it post humously? Why not do it while the man's alive??

what a chode.

The problem wasn't Kane, it was DC.

Damn Straight! It Should Be By Bill Finger And Bob Kane. If It Wasnt For Bill Finger We Would Have Birdman Not Batman. Bob Kanes Original Concept Was An Equivlant To A Sprite Recolor. He Was Superman.

I still credit Kane for continually drawing and defining Batman VISUALLY. Finger defined Batman LITERICALLY.

Spidey-Bat said:
Regardless of whether Finger wanted it, Finger's lack of credit is DIRECTLY due to Kane's greed. So, yes, I'll be blaming Kane for that. Kane gets eternal credit, and his estate gets eternal royalties, basically for coming up with a name. Everything else was Finger.

bulok said:

what a chode.
More importantly, why not change the contract so that future publications of Batman product would have the line, "Batman Created By Bob Kane and Bill Finger"?

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I still credit Kane for continually drawing and defining Batman VISUALLY. Finger defined Batman LITERICALLY.
That's just not true. The definitive classic Grey-on-Black Batman is a Finger invention.

Spidey-Bat said:
The problem wasn't Kane, it was DC.
Except it was Kane that got a contract giving him exclusive credit/royalties to all Batman products in perpetuity...so where is DC at fault here?

Way to post to a 4-month old thread.

Take the stick out of your ass about this issue. If you blame Kane and call him a greed bastard, you don't deserve to be a Batman fan. Yes, Finger should be credited but Kane submitted the idea prior to the changes made by Finger, so Kane got the credit.

My point about Kane defining Batman visually was that Kane drew him in the book. He didn't create the costume. But, he made it work visually panel after panel and got the art in there.

I'm surprised DC doesn't try and give Finger credit for anything. Jesus, Gotham City, Jim Gordon...anybody. Give him something.

But, DC is trying to sweep it all under the rug.

Btw, nice way to dig up an ancient thread.

He's dead so there's really no point. And if they did, just imagine all the money they'd owe his family from the past.

I think I've mentioned this here already, but hey.

A) Bob Kane's contract was and is such that it will always credit him as the sole creator of Batman. Back in the mid to late 60s he was still claiming that he wrote and drew most of the Bat-comics himself. This was of course false.

B) DC Comics have stated that there sadly isn't any family on Bill Fingers side to pay royalties to.

C)I heard a rumor that The Kane estate got p*ssed of becouse DC had credited Bill Finger as the writer of the Batman-reprint comic that was in the 2 disc Batman Begins set,and supposedly that's the reason you can't easily find it anymore. Don't know how much of this is true.

A) He did draw and write most of the comics.

B) That's not Kane's fault or it's a lie by DC.

C) I doubt it, but if it is true then DC broke the contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"