Random Comic Stuff

DBM

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I thought I’d make a thread for random comic stuff. Comic related stuff that I didn’t think warranted it’s own thread.

Like Wednesdays.

I love Wednesdays.

Most days I take a lunch break at around 1pm because I like to avoid the traffic and I prefer a late lunch.

But not on Wednesday. I always go to lunch at 11am on Wednesday. Hell, I’d go earlier but the comic shop doesn’t open until 11. I’ll be leaving within a few minutes.

It’s such a fun day to go to the comic store and see all the new issues spread out on the racks, to discover those ones I hadn’t been expecting, to talk with all the other fans who are just as excited to be there as me.

I’m such a geek.

Off to the comic store.

Replace the word Wednesday, with the word Thursday for me, and you're on the money.

Everyone that knows me, knows that Wednesdays are Comic Book Day. For me they should just rename the day.

Since this is random stuff..... Did you have a place that you went to read your new acquisitions. When I was a kid, and would ride my bike to the drug store (before comic shops...right off the spinning rack), I had a little clearing in the woods where I would indulge in DD, Xmen, Spidey, Avengers, and usually a pretty good sugar high. Sometimes the 1 minute that it took to ride my bike there was too long!!!

Gambit8370 said:
I'll race ya...

Already got mine. And I read AXM 5, Avengers 502, and UFF 11. I'll read the rest when I get home tonight.

iloveclones said:
Since this is random stuff..... Did you have a place that you went to read your new acquisitions. When I was a kid, and would ride my bike to the drug store (before comic shops...right off the spinning rack), I had a little clearing in the woods where I would indulge in DD, Xmen, Spidey, Avengers, and usually a pretty good sugar high. Sometimes the 1 minute that it took to ride my bike there was too long!!!

Nowadays I usually just read them while sitting on my couch. But when I was a kid, I used to sit in this attic area of our house. It was carpeted and finished in but we just used it for storage. I found a box of 60's and 70's Marvel comics up there when I was 8 or 9 that had belonged to my uncle. That was how I discovered comics. I moved everything around up there and made myself a little reading area and every time I bought comics (or actually my parents bought me comics) I'd go up there to read them.

iloveclones said:
Everyone that knows me, knows that Wednesdays are Comic Book Day. For me they should just rename the day.

Haha, I call it Comic Book Day here at work...in fact, I yell it to my co-workers as I leave for lunch to head out to the store. Yep, EVERY week! :xmen:

By the way, my Fortress of Comics Solitude today is usually a coffee shop, or somewhere I can sit and drink some coffee with some old friends ( Pete, Scott, Steve, Hank,Matt, etc., etc.)

DBM said:
Already got mine. And I read AXM 5, Avengers 502, and UFF 11. I'll read the rest when I get home tonight.

I was being facetious.

Really though, although we goof on each other I consider many of you SHH guys and gals as my friends (except for maybe twenty or thirty of you who absolutely HATE me, but hey).

It reminds me of when I was a kid. I had a (small) group of comic book geek friends. We would bike over to the comic store and the drug store to get our comics together. Then we'd read them and talk about them.

I know it sounds queer, but trust me it wasn't.

Anyways, all that fell apart when we discovered girls.

I'm glad I've got a place to go to bull**** about comics.

Thanks SHH!

BTW I read maybe 2 or 3 of the ones I can't wait to read in the truck, and then the rest after dinner at home.

When I was a kid (damn I feel old every time I say that), I would read them on the front porch when I got home.

Gambit8370 said:
I was being facetious.

You're just saying that now because I beat ya.

LLLLLOOOOOOSSSSEEEERRRR!!!!

DBM said:
You're just saying that now because I beat ya.

LLLLLOOOOOOSSSSEEEERRRR!!!!

I gave you AN HOUR HEAD START (which you would actually NEED were we truly racing :D).

I go at 12.

Gambit8370 said:
It reminds me of when I was a kid. I had a (small) group of comic book geek friends. We would bike over to the comic store and the drug store to get our comics together. Then we'd read them and talk about them.

Did you all buy different ones and swap? I would've loved that when I was a kid.

Gambit8370 said:
I gave you AN HOUR HEAD START (which you would actually NEED were we truly racing :D).

I go at 12.

Bah. I could have got there faster. The comics store is literally a 2 minute drive from my office.

I AM THE WINNER.

DBM said:
Bah. I could have got there faster. The comics store is literally a 2 minute drive from my office.

I AM THE WINNER.

Okay, next week, we race.

Then we we come back to the boards, I'll laugh my ****s off when you tell everyone how you got a speeding ticket on the way to the comic store.

:D

iloveclones said:
Did you all buy different ones and swap? I would've loved that when I was a kid.

Sometimes we traded.

One of the kids was actually female.

Yeah...

Circa 1977 a female read comic books.

I wish I would have stayed in contact with her.

She had an awesome collection.

and lo, elijya did join in the conversation, and he did say...

I get to read the advance copies of books that come out a week before they hit the stands. Sucks to be you guys! :p

i wont get my books til october, one of the few drawbacks of pre-ordering.

and gambit, am i in that group?
hehehehe

Elijya said:
and lo, elijya did join in the conversation, and he did say...

I get to read the advance copies of books that come out a week before they hit the stands. Sucks to be you guys! :p

That's nothing special. :p

Everyone at my local store gets to do that if they want. The owner puts them on a stand on the counter and you can stand there and read them if you want. I don't because I like to wait until they are actually released.

Gambit8370 said:
Okay, next week, we race.

Then we we come back to the boards, I'll laugh my ****s off when you tell everyone how you got a speeding ticket on the way to the comic store.

:D

You're on. :D

Gambit8370 said:
I wish I would have stayed in contact with her.

She had an awesome collection.

Did you mean that to be that funny??

newnoiseimage said:
and gambit, am i in that group?
hehehehe

Hell.

Who knows?

You could secretly be the president of the I-Hate-Gambit8370 club and I wouldn't even know it.

iloveclones said:

He must be serious because I have yet to see Gambit8370 say anything funny.

iloveclones said:

No I was serious.

She got me into some great comics back then that I would have never known about until years later.

Gambit8370 said:
Hell.

Who knows?

You could secretly be the president of the I-Hate-Gambit8370 club and I wouldn't even know it.

Alright who let the secret out?!?!?!!?

anyway yeah, i wish that i could get them when they come out, i just save so much by pre-ordering and i ensure i get everything i want. i actually started waiving free shipping so i can get bi-monthly shipping. that way i am least somewhat current.

Gambit8370 said:
Hell.

Who knows?

I hope you don't really think that. Disagree does not = hate. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"