Random Comic Stuff

iloveclones said:
OK, here's one for you:

Did any of you stop reading for a significant amount of time and come back and why to both?

I stopped completely for a year or so not long after the clone saga ended. This wasn't in protest or anything ( I liked the clone saga, up until the ending). It just seemed like nothing interesting was going on anywhere. (Irony #1 since most people left during and because of the clone saga)

I came back because I heard Byrne was gonna revamp Spidey (Irony #2 considering how that turned out. :eek: ) The guy at my comic shop likes to point out to me when I have my pile for the week, that my first words to him were, "No, just Amazing. I don't want to get totally sucked in again....." Ah sweet irony...

I pretty much quit while I was in undergrad. I just didn't have any money so I couldn't buy comics. I read an issue here and there but not that many.

iloveclones said:
OK, here's one for you:

Did any of you stop reading for a significant amount of time and come back and why to both?

I quit for about 2 years back in the mid-to-late 80's.

To give you a perspective of time, my last issue of Uncanny was 201 and I didn't pick up another issue until 224.

I was 16 or 17 and discovered that the money I was spending on comics could be better spend getting some wheels and picking up chicks.

Then when I got a better job and could afford it again, I started up again spending more and more as each week passed.

The painful part was going back and picking up the two years of comics that I had missed.

And I haven't missed a week since.

This probably belongs elsewhere but since this is my Random Comic Stuff thread I'll stick it here anyway.

What was your favorite comic line that is now defunct?

Like Valiant, Defiant, Malibu, Charleston, Topps, Broadway, etc., and the newest to join the defunct list, Crossgen.

I was a huge Malibu fan, especially the Ultraverse. In fact I just bought a couple hundred Malibu comics off ebay last week. I'm working on having every Malibu comic made, which is not turning out to be that hard considering I appear to be the only person in the world who wants Malibu Comics

I loved Malibu because it was superheroes (which I love) that were typically well written, there was consistent continuity, and I got in from the ground floor. Malibu was a great company with great stories being put out as Marvel and DC were running themselves into the ground in the early 90s. Unfortunately Marvel bought them up and killed it off. :(

I also really enjoyed some of the Defiant stuff, specifically Dark Dominion.

How about you?

I had an issue of Dinosaur's for Hire confiscated when I was in 4th grade :D

that teacher was a ***** :mad:

DBM said:
This probably belongs elsewhere but since this is my Random Comic Stuff thread I'll stick it here anyway.

What was your favorite comic line that is now defunct?

Okay, this is going WAY back.

I'm talking early 80's, so some of you may not have even been BORN yet. (well okay, if you were alive you were probably reading Smurfs and Strawberry Shortcake comics).

But the comic book company I miss the most was 'Capital Comics' originally, which shortly became 'First Comics'.

The three titles that they published that I distinctly remember enjoying were 'Whisper', 'Badger', and 'Nexus'. :cool:

Gambit8370 said:

I'm talking early 80's, so some of you may not have even been BORN yet. (well okay, if you were alive you were probably reading Smurfs and Strawberry Shortcake comics).

But the comic book company I miss the most was 'Capital Comics' originally, which shortly became 'First Comics'.

The three titles that they published that I distinctly remember enjoying were 'Whisper', 'Badger', and 'Nexus'. :cool:

I've got a few issues of Nexus from here and there. I don't remember the others though.

Gambit8370 said:

the Badger RULES

Of the 3 mentioned, I liked Whisper the most.

Female ninja.

Someone's answer to Elektra I suppose.

I also remember it as being very adult themed (i.e. questionably high levels of graphic violence and sexual references) for a comic book being read by a 13/14 year old.

What's the most that you ever demeaned yourself to get some $$$ for your fix? In college, I was donating plasma twice a week, and taking the check from the bank to the comic shop. (Actually, there was a pizza shop right across from the joint that would cash the check if you bought a slice of pizza.....timeless memories of light-headedness, marinara sauce, and comics.)

iloveclones said:
What's the most that you ever demeaned yourself to get some $$$ for your fix? In college, I was donating plasma twice a week, and taking the check from the bank to the comic shop. (Actually, there was a pizza shop right across from the joint that would cash the check if you bought a slice of pizza.....timeless memories of light-headedness, marinara sauce, and comics.)

wow... that's pretty low

Why is it that when you tell someone you read comic books, they reactlike this. "You read comic books?!" I never understood that reaction.

P.S. This was their reaction to me reading Sin City at school.

An even greater (or, rather, stranger) reaction is someone finds out that you read comics and you're a GIRL.

I enjoy correcting all the un-informed people, especially the ones who take the cartoons as canon :D

Dissonance said:
An even greater (or, rather, stranger) reaction is someone finds out that you read comics and you're a GIRL.
girls read comics?

So I go to the comic book store on my lunch break today, as I do every Wednesday, and I’m standing in line to check out behind a couple other people. The guy in the front of the line is talking to the comic store employee about some comics. Specifically he asked, “What do you think about what’s going on in Avengers?”

The comic store employee then answers, “I don’t read that.” To which the customer replies, “Oh, so what do you read?” The comic store employee replies, “I don’t read comic books at all. I just don’t enjoy them.”

My jaw dropped to the floor. I was astounded.

Now I’ve been going to this store long enough to recognize that the employee is the “Gaming Guy” (as I refer to him in my head). He’s the one that sets up the gaming tournaments and knows all about the different card games, figurines, dice, etc. So I can understand if comics aren’t his thing really.

But for ****s sake, WHY THE HELL WOULD HE TELL A CUSTOMER THAT HE DOESN’T ENJOY COMIC BOOKS?

It’s like a waiter saying, “I wouldn’t eat the food here” when a customer asks him to recommend something from the menu.

I’m mean fine, the guy doesn’t like comics, I can deal with that. Lots of people don’t. But you don’t tell customers that. You tell them something like, “I’m not really keeping up on stuff because we’ve been so busy. Maybe you should talk to Dave over there, he knows a lot.” Hell, he could have even lied and said “I like Superman and Batman mostly,” because everyone at least knows who those are.

I’m just ranting here because it annoyed the hell out of me. If I was his boss, I’d give him a good swift kick in the pants and then teach him a little something about salesmanship.

almost everyone i know looks at comics as juvenille so i get that same reaction (the you read comics?!?! reaction, not dbm's random story about a comic clerk) my close friends lay off because they finally understand that they arent for kids, mainly becuase i verbally assaulted them. but the stigma is still in full swing.

A conversation with one of my newer co-workers prompts this little story:

She and I were talking about money/paychecks/salaries/etc. when I passively mentioned that I spend a good portion of my paycheck on, as I jokingly referred to it, "my comic book habit." She asked me how much I spend per week on said habit, to which I replied "Oh, about $20. Depending on what comes out that week." That somehow led her to ask the question "What's so special about comics anyway? I mean, they're just lots of pictures and not really stories." Now, I possibly could have gotten a word or two in about that if this girl didn't always talk so damn fast. She just kept going on and on about something until the conversation took on a whole new topic, leaving me stewing in her question/statement.

What I think is that she was under the delusion that "all comics are for kids" and they can't really hold any true storytelling value that, say, a novel can. That kind of struck me because as a reader and (hopefully) someday writer of comics, I have read some really powerful and profound comics that have affected me more closely than most novels have.

it's called ignorance, Dissonance. Besides, she probably just reads romance novels in her free time, I sincerely doubt she's got Hemingway tucked away in her purse

most comics are more believable than most soap-operas, and people can fly in comics.

Elijya said:
it's called ignorance, Dissonance. Besides, she probably just reads romance novels in her free time, I sincerely doubt she's got Hemingway tucked away in her purse

No no no... She told me who her favorite author was (in great detail, might I add): Nicholas Sparks.

you shoulda told her yours was NEil Gaimen

Elijya said:
I enjoy correcting all the un-informed people, especially the ones who take the cartoons as canon :D
Yeah, I hate it when people try to challenge my comic book intellect. Telling me stupid ****, I just come back and explain the Flash legacy and grin my brilliant smile as the wallow in their pee, hiding in the corner.

I had a guy tell me venom made a cameo in Spider-man 2? "where!?" I ask. "The dude Mary Jane was gonna marry, he brought venom back from the moon."

:groan:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"